Yoshida: zero to hero

Andre

Obviously our whole team has been improving steadily since the start of the season, and we're now performing fantastically, but a standout improvement for me is Maya Yoshida. He has turned out to be a great investment.

After some shaky starts at the beginning of the season, he has adapted relatively quickly to the Premier League (which, btw, negates any arguments people have for Ramírez still adapting after half a season), and has become an amazingly confident, classy, and competent centre back.

Some of the challenges he made against City were phenomenal, both in ability and in decision making. After some of the early games I would wince in fear when the ball came near him, much as I did when Boruc was called upon (he too has grown into a hell of a player). I guess it has a lot to do with the confidence of the team in general, etc., but really Yoshida has grown into a great defender for us.

If and when Forren does make his way into the side, I really hope he doesn't replace Yoshida outright, because his minutes in the red shirt have been brilliant over the last couple of months: he hasn't missed a minute of the last 21 games, and obviously recently we've looked world class. A great signing none of us knew a lot about, and definitely worth the money he cost. Started forming great partnerships with Fonte and Hooiveld respectively, and will hopefully work well with the new boy as well, with all four switching around as needed.

Keep it up, Maya.

He's class, but was he ever really a zero? Everyone has slowly found their stride as the season has gone on, and we had some good moments during the losing streak too.

Seems to be a lot of extremes in forum posts at the moment...

No, he was never a zero - not even close. IMO he brought a fairly immediate improvement in our defence, and I suspect the stats would confirm that. When he was twinned with Fonte it was (IIRC) because Jos was injured; at that point both Fonte and Jos were struggling, and either could have been dropped to make way for Maya. His problem then became doing two jobs - his own and covering for Fox, who was also a defensive liability. That didn't help him at all. Now he's doing his own job and helping Jos to look better at this level than he probably is.

Maya's reading and covering are very good, and he's not short of pace. He's two-footed, which gives him so much more time and helps him to cover his own mis-reads. In a fairly polite kind of way, he doesn't take sh*t from anybody. I'd like to see him improve his defensive heading but, other than that, he's always looked the part to me. Even more so now.

Yoshida is one of our best players. In fact i would have him first name on the teamsheet, now he has got used to the pace of the league he is a beast of a defender, time after time he makes correct decisions and has real class on the ball he reminds me of a young Rio Ferdinand. Buy of the season.

He's looking excellent. He can still occasionally be a bit rash with some challenges but he must be horrible to play against because, as a forward, you will never get a bit of breathing space.

I am seriously impressed by the excellent work of our transfer committee. Some Saints fans still don't seem to understand what we're doing but we make brave and patient decisions and as long as nothing horrible happens between now and the end of the season we should have a hell of a squad next year.

Like him a lot. Good decision making, brave and gets right up after a tackle. As the bloke who sits next to me commented, "it's like watching one of those 80's game shows".

I think the end of season away day should be japanese headbands:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B006KAPIGU/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?creative=22218&creativeASIN=B006KAPIGU&linkCode=asn&ref_=asc_df_B006KAPIGU11862129&smid=A2WZL2HM3U892U&tag=googlecouk06-21

Obviously our whole team has been improving steadily since the start of the season, and we're now performing fantastically, but a standout improvement for me is Maya Yoshida. He has turned out to be a great investment.

After some shaky starts at the beginning of the season, he has adapted relatively quickly to the Premier League (which, btw, negates any arguments people have for Ramírez still adapting after half a season), and has become an amazingly confident, classy, and competent centre back.

Some of the challenges he made against City were phenomenal, both in ability and in decision making. After some of the early games I would wince in fear when the ball came near him, much as I did when Boruc was called upon (he too has grown into a hell of a player). I guess it has a lot to do with the confidence of the team in general, etc., but really Yoshida has grown into a great defender for us.

If and when Forren does make his way into the side, I really hope he doesn't replace Yoshida outright, because his minutes in the red shirt have been brilliant over the last couple of months: he hasn't missed a minute of the last 21 games, and obviously recently we've looked world class. A great signing none of us knew a lot about, and definitely worth the money he cost. Started forming great partnerships with Fonte and Hooiveld respectively, and will hopefully work well with the new boy as well, with all four switching around as needed. Keep it up, Maya.

good evaluation of a unheralded player.

He was thrown in the deep end when Jos was dropped after the Arsenal (a) game, and it took a little time to find his feet, at a time when Fonte was very looking shaky, too.

Although both he and Fonte have looked more confident since Jack Cork's return. Now he's playing with the "revived " Jos ....and now they are beginning to work well together.

Barring more injuries......Forran may have to wait a bit longer before getting his boots on the pitch at SMS.

Edited by david in sweden

If and when Forren does make his way into the side, I really hope he doesn't replace Yoshida outright, because his minutes in the red shirt have been brilliant over the last couple of months: he hasn't missed a minute of the last 21 games, and obviously recently we've looked world class. A great signing none of us knew a lot about, and definitely worth the money he cost. Started forming great partnerships with Fonte and Hooiveld respectively, and will hopefully work well with the new boy as well, with all four switching around as needed.

Keep it up, Maya.

+1 from me :) Brilliant post

considering he had been all the way to Japan during the week he put in a great display. This guy was Fonts back in the siden in at the deep end never having played European football and has become in a very short period of time an accomplished top flight performer.

Yep, agree with you there. Not zero - Yoshi just needed some time obviously. It's going to take an injury perhaps to see Forren or Fonte back in the side?

considering he had been all the way to Japan during the week he put in a great display. This guy was thrown in at the deep end never having played European football and has become in a very short period of time an accomplished top flight performer.

Maya came from a Dutch club, he'd been there for a couple of seasons.

When was Yoshida ever a "zero"? Struggled when played out of position at full back but has always looked good at CB.

Absolutely correct Diggory. He had a couple of shaky games at RB and LB, but following on from the Arsenal game he had an instantly beneficial effect at CB and was always better than what we had already.

Yoshida was never a zero, I have always though he would make the grade. Positionally he is very good and for a little bloke he wins a fair few headers.

My only critiscm was his distribution early on which has vastly improved.

Fot those who dont rate him ? What is it you dont like ?

Quite funny that his wiki page lists him as 6' 2". Exactly the same as Fonte. Not a chance.

Yoshida has improved beyond belief from his early games due mainly to playing games in the prem , It took him a few games to get the feel of it but now I think he is one of the best defenders in the prem. I know we are playing well at the moment so difficult to change to much without injuries but I think Tad Lee could be like Yoshida and do a good job with some prem experience,he has been on the bench recently so give him some match time.

Quite funny that his wiki page lists him as 6' 2". Exactly the same as Fonte. Not a chance.

Really ? Wow, I mean he might be but he looks more like 5'10 to me, still, shows you that leap, timing and positioning are just as important as height.

Much like Cahill used to be so good in the air for a little bloke.

I didn't mean he was literally zero btw, just thought it was a good turn of phrase :)

I honestly agree he'd be first on my teamsheet, closely followed by Rickie and then a bunch of other players (we really are performing at the moment!). That tackle he performed in the second half when he hooked his left leg around one of the City players (can't remember, soz, might've been Aguero/Dzeko) was out of this world.

Class CB, and will hopefully have made his position at the back safe, with Fonte, Forren and Hooiveld competing for the other space.

Your opinion mate. Fair play.

I think he is brilliant, and as said in other posts I think we have come a long way. So many good players at premier league level.

I think cork and Spider-Man have been superb at protecting back four. In terms of constructive criticism Yoshida gets muscled off ball too easy for me and is poor at heading. Otherwise he is ok, but I genuinely think he will not feature next season.

I think cork and Spider-Man have been superb at protecting back four. In terms of constructive criticism Yoshida gets muscled off ball too easy for me and is poor at heading. Otherwise he is ok, but I genuinely think he will not feature next season.

I'm sorry, but if that is your 'constructive criticism' then you clearly do not go to games.

Muscling bigger more physical players off the ball and winning headers against the odds are two of his greatest strengths.

Did you actually watch the Man City game?

Why? No need to change a thing.

Hooiveld had a good game yesterday (and, generally, has been an excellent player for Saints who I am happy to have around as back-up) but if Forren is better he should come into the team. Likewise, once Fonte is fit he should also be picked ahead of Hooiveld. Hooiveld is too slow to react to situations to excel at Premier League level and will get exploited if he plays too many matches for us. As a fourth choice CB he is pretty good though!

I think our CBs have gone from being an exploitable weakness at the start of the season to a force to be reckoned with now. We've got 4 very good CBs at the club now, with Yoshida and Fonte capable of playing right and Forren and Jos playing left. Obviously Yoshi can play on both sides as well. Still got Martin and Seaborne as back-up, although I can see them leaving in the summer if we want to fast-track Jack Stephens' development.

You can't ignore that the defensive stability that Cork has brought back into the team though. Him and Schneiderlin are great at protecting the back four.

I'm sorry, but if that is your 'constructive criticism' then you clearly do not go to games.

Muscling bigger more physical players off the ball and winning headers against the odds are two of his greatest strengths.

Yes I did so did you actually see his poorly timed headed clearance and positional play at fault v Wigan? What about his awful defensive display away at West Ham? Or even getting totally muscled off the ball consistently versus Demba Ba in the cup game? His poor clearance against Sunderland giving the ball away for them to counter and score the only goal of the game. Maybe i am making this all up and don't got to games lol....I could pick many other shakey moments. Look I am enjoying our football at the moment, it's great to watch, but I definitely don't look at every player with rosé tinted glasses and I'm entitled to my opinion. He has been far from outstanding and IMO he will not feature much when Fonte and Forren are fit.

Yes I did so did you actually see his poorly timed headed clearance and positional play at fault v Wigan? What about his awful defensive display away at West Ham? Or even getting totally muscled off the ball consistently versus Demba Ba in the cup game? His poor clearance against Sunderland giving the ball away for them to counter and score the only goal of the game. Maybe i am making this all up and don't got to games lol....I could pick many other shakey moments. Look I am enjoying our football at the moment, it's great to watch, but I definitely don't look at every player with rosé tinted glasses and I'm entitled to my opinion. He has been far from outstanding and IMO he will not feature much when Fonte and Forren are fit.

I dont think anyone is watching him through rose tinted glasses, but then I would say you are being overly critical TBH. He is a very good player and right now would be the first name on the team sheet from a CB point of view. He certainly isnt first knock, but he mops up very well and has done a great job recently babysitting Jos

I cant comment on Forren yet, as I have not seen him play. I would easily bet you a tenner to a charity of your choice that he will be playing next year

I dont think anyone is watching him through rose tinted glasses, but then I would say you are being overly critical TBH. He is a very good player and right now would be the first name on the team sheet from a CB point of view. He certainly isnt first knock, but he mops up very well and has done a great job recently babysitting Jos

I cant comment on Forren yet, as I have not seen him play. I would easily bet you a tenner to a charity of your choice that he will be playing next year

Ha ha ok you are on. I bet you £10 he doesn't play in more than 15 league games next season. You can give the money to Dorset dogs home.....nice one ;-)

Think he's settled in well and picked up the cut and thrust of the game pretty quickly. Being super critical I still think he's prone to making the odd mistake due to poor judgement when it would be better to hit row z.

And as Jos is being mentioned in this thread than have to agree yesterday's performance was very impressive. However, I think the fact he was up against Dzeko suited his game.

I think thats pretty constructive to be fair. Wasnt it only last week people were saying he was at fault for one of the Man U goals because he completly nissed a header?

FWIW I think he's a good player, def in our top two at the moment. Would hope to see Forren partner him in the not to distant future (takibg the assumption we buy to improve first 11, not buy to add squad players).