The Luke Shaw Rumour thread

Saint Garrett

What realistic Left Backs out there would you like should the worst happen

any good ones in the NPC?

Thought the lad villa had on sat was pretty good. He was on loan from chelsea, but i still can't remember his name :( He was young + English + black.

Edit: It might have been BERTRAND

Edited by Bearsy

If it is correct then at 100k a week on a five year + 20% of a 30 million signing on fee, he wouldn't give a monkeys who the manger was.

Well that's not right is it. If the transfer fee is 30 million the player is entitled to 5% of that unless he requested a transfer. The signing on fee is between the player and the new club.

stop right there

its manchester ****ing, united

This is not the same Manchester United from 10 years ago, this is a Manchester United who struggled to sign players last year, and probably will again this year.

Their desperation was obvious with Rooneys laughable contract. He certainly isn't worth more than Messi or Ronaldo.

Oh my God, are some of these Saints fans for real?

A) Great deal for Saints. 30m is a massive amount of money for a LB at any age. Add to that his career could be ended at any time.

B) Brilliant deal for Shaw. He is moving to the biggest team in club football and earning 100k per week. He'd be utterly mental not to take it.

C) Good deal for United. Evra is off and they are in need of a player that can go into the role and develop into a great LB.

Yes, he'd be leaving us, but it's a no brainer for the lad and for us.

What realistic Left Backs out there would you like should the worst happen

any good ones in the NPC?

Don't know about the Championship. For me it would be Kurzawa from Monaco (Franco-Polish so he'd love it in Southampton) and then Ricardo Rodriguez from Wolfsburg. Both are better actual left backs than Shaw. Both actually score goals as well.

A) Great deal for Saints. 30m is a massive amount of money for a LB at any age. Add to that his career could be ended at any time.

B) Brilliant deal for Shaw. He is moving to the biggest team in club football and earning 100k per week. He'd be utterly mental not to take it.

C) Good deal for United. Evra is off and they are in need of a player that can go into the role and develop into a great LB.

Don't want him to go, but agree with all of this.

It's clear that he's going, to be honest.

It's sad really, keep developing this international level players - but whatever level we play it, we simply will never be able to keep them - that's why any ambitons for a top 4 finish are nothing but pie in the sky.

It will also probably be used to pay off the outstanding transfer debts, so wouldn't expect anything from that to be pumped into new players.

Never mind, Still pretty expectant for next year to be a bit of a slog if I'm honest.

This is not the same Manchester United from 10 years ago, this is a Manchester United who struggled to sign players last year, and probably will again this year.

Their desperation was obvious with Rooneys laughable contract. He certainly isn't worth more than Messi or Ronaldo.

its still manchester united. who are going to spend massive this summer and still one of the biggest sporting clubs (in any field) on the planet

they won the league 12 months ago, no doubt with the right manager and a few more players (like shaw for a start) they will seriously challenge for trophies again

What's not "real" about rather seeing us have the best possible players play for us? 30M won't help the fans and we won't end up with a better player than Shaw.

I don't care or get all giddy about fee's received for players, particularly ones from our academy. Surely it's better to see them stay and achieve something with us?

Fail to see how this is a good deal for all, it isn't from a fan perspective IMO.

What's not "real" about rather seeing us have the best possible players play for us? 30M won't help the fans and we won't end up with a better player than Shaw.

I don't care or get all giddy about fee's received for players, particularly ones from our academy. Surely it's better to see them stay and achieve something with us?

Fail to see how this is a good deal for all, it isn't from a fan perspective IMO.

At least we pay the debt off and can paint more pretty lines on the pitch, or something.

It's not good if like me, you're enjoying our Roy of the Rovers youth team wet dream (metaphor, people!).

However, I can live with it when clubs don't take the píss. Arsenal have been decent when dealing with us. Can we honestly say that United are taking the píss with this sort of offer for a young player?

Lord above - how many times do we see people post stuff like this on here ("I'd bite their hand off!...") only to see the player in question go for a lot more. Like I've said many times before, its a good job no-one on here is responsible for the negotiations.

You'd genuinely turn down £30 million for Shaw? Really?

I'm saying he has the potential to be. Does a cracking job at right back and has previously been put at left back when Shaw was substituted.

He's 19 and its not like playing left or right sided full back is a transition like goalkeeper to striker. He plays right back, he could, in the future, play similarly well at left back in my opinion.

Have you managed to understand this, fairly straightforward, idea, or is football new to you?

Is it new to you ? Swapping a left back to right back really isnt that straighforward at this level, Clyne does it with a degree of success but realistically your reactions wont be as true as if you were on your natural side. His natural instincts will be right sided, from control, to passing and even worse tackling.

So no, its really not that much of an easy transition at all, but that may be lost on anyone that believes this is FM

Is it new to you ? Swapping a left back to right back really isnt that straighforward at this level, Clyne does it with a degree of success but realistically your reactions wont be as true as if you were on your natural side. His natural instincts will be right sided, from control, to passing and even worse tackling.

So no, its really not that much of an easy transition at all, but that may be lost on anyone that believes this is FM

how come ur on the register smirking?

here's one for ya, i reckon right footed left back makes more sense nowadays, defensively at least, cos all these wingers play on the wrong side & try to cut inside all the time. Waste one of ur 3 posts debating this with me!

Are people seriously that deluded that they are suggesting not transfering to Utd ? That they are not the team they were 10 years ago ?

They are still the biggest team in the EPL no matter what Liverpool think and are still the reigning champions (for another month) they bring in more money then any other team, and are the biggest team in the world.

Its rediculous to think it wouldnt be a better move.

No wonder Dune and GS have such a field day on here with crap like that

What's the point of spending loads on an Academy to produce young players to help us progress as a team if we just sell them when we don't need the money? Surely the idea was to build a young team to mature together and get better and better and reduce the need to buy players that may not fit in ie Gaston/Osvaldo. To me it's a pointless exercise and we might just aswell not bother. This ****es me off so much.

What's the point of spending loads on an Academy to produce young players to help us progress as a team if we just sell them when we don't need the money? Surely the idea was to build a young team to mature together and get better and better and reduce the need to buy players that may not fit in ie Gaston/Osvaldo. To me it's a pointless exercise and we might just aswell not bother. This ****es me off so much.

to sell the odd one for £30m, that is why

it is absolutely huge amounts of money for a player who effectively cost us nothing to purchase

do people really think we are going to go all 'class of 92' with this lot?

If Azpilicueta can make the transition from right back to left back seamlessly, even assuredly, at the age of 24 for a team in the Champions League, I don't see why the idea can't be entertained for a 19 year old at a lower standard team.

But what's the point. It will reduce the morale in the squad, the quality in the team and where do we get another player as good for less money? It's pointless. If we're serious about being a top club it's madness. When do you see other top 10 Premier League clubs selling their best young players? Answer. They don't need or want to, so selling ours sends out a statement that we will just be a club treading water and everything is downhill from here.

But what's the point. It will reduce the morale in the squad, the quality in the team and where do we get another player as good for less money? It's pointless. If we're serious about being a top club it's madness. When do you see other top 10 Premier League clubs selling their best young players? Answer. They don't need or want to, so selling ours sends out a statement that we will just be a club treading water and everything is downhill from here.

when OxO left, it reduce morale that much that we went on and got promoted (again)

it's football, people come and go all of the time

we have ALWAYS sold our best players. ALWAYS...even MLT was nearly sold (twice) but HE decided to stay.

what makes it different now???

as for other top 10 clubs...

I believe Cabeye was sold.

everton regularly sell their best players

spurs sold bale

arsenal...consistently sell theirs

united sold ronaldo a few years ago

as for our rivals, you watch stoke sell begovic, villa sell someone. it happens

Edited by Batman

west ham is case in point, ain't it. Lot of good selling their lampards+ferdinands done them.

*waits for someone to mention lahm*

when OxO left, it reduce morale that much that we went on and got promoted (again)

it's football, people come and go all of the time

we have ALWAYS sold our best players. ALWAYS...even MLT was nearly sold (twice) but HE decided to stay.

what makes it different now???

as for other top 10 clubs...

I believe Cabeye was sold.

everton regularly sell their best players

spurs sold bale

arsenal...consistently sell theirs

united sold ronaldo a few years ago

as for our rivals, you watch stoke sell begovic, villa sell someone. it happens

The point is that we invest heavily in our academy and produce our own talent and only get to see them fleetingly. I know that you're a big club fan boy but the club is very different from the one which sold Bale, Walcott even Ox. We are established in the Premier League and have been able to sign good players to supplement what we have. No one is saying that everyone will stay forever but a season and a half is no way near enough for us to get any benefit from producing these types of players beyond money and some slaps on the back for producing young English players. We should be a position to keep these players for 3-4 seasons.

As a fan, would you rather Shaw was playing for us next or would you prefer 30M in the bank?

The point is that we invest heavily in our academy and produce our own talent and only get to see them fleetingly. I know that you're a big club fan boy but the club is very different from the one which sold Bale, Walcott even Ox. We are established in the Premier League and have been able to sign good players to supplement what we have. No one is saying that everyone will stay forever but a season and a half is no way near enough for us to get any benefit from producing these types of players beyond money and some slaps on the back for producing young English players. We should be a position to keep these players for 3-4 seasons.

As a fan, would you rather Shaw was playing for us next or would you prefer 30M in the bank?

would prefer shaw playing here of course

but also realise that when united, liverpool or a CL club comes calling with top ££££ and offers triple+ wages, it is almost impossible to keep them at a club like saints

if he was sold for top £££ would hope all (nearly all) was allocated with any existing budget for 1st team purchases. but it wont, I suspect

would prefer shaw playing here of course

but also realise that when united, liverpool or a CL club comes calling with top ££££ and offers triple+ wages, it is almost impossible to keep them at a club like saints

if he was sold for top £££ would hope all (nearly all) was allocated with any existing budget for 1st team purchases. but it wont, I suspect

It shouldn't be that impossible. These players have been at the club for most of their lives and will be rich anyway. Keeping them for 3-4 seasons whilst actually achieving something ourselves should be the aim.

£30m is a helluva lot of money. It could perhaps allow us to strengthen the squad to a degree we could cover his loss to us in the team. And maybe it is inevitable he leaves one day.

But...if he is happy to stay then I think it would be an absolutely huge statement of intent from the club to keep him. Maybe it means we don't bring too many in this summer. But for what it would mean - even to keep him just one more year - could have an impact that improves our standing in the game and perception from young players that they don't need to leave Saints to play for their country etc. It would be the missing piece in the Academy jigsaw - the time we produce and keep our players for longer than before. I think it would mean a lot.

I could understand the pragmatic reasons for him leaving though. I just think that in a time when many clubs don't have an identity, we can forge one when it comes to keeping players that have been with us since the age of 8.

£30m is a helluva lot of money. It could perhaps allow us to strengthen the squad to a degree we could cover his loss to us in the team. And maybe it is inevitable he leaves one day.

But...if he is happy to stay then I think it would be an absolutely huge statement of intent from the club to keep him. Maybe it means we don't bring too many in this summer. But for what it would mean - even to keep him just one more year - could have an impact that improves our standing in the game and perception from young players that they don't need to leave Saints to play for their country etc. It would be the missing piece in the Academy jigsaw - the time we produce and keep our players for longer than before. I think it would mean a lot.

I could understand the pragmatic reasons for him leaving though. I just think that in a time when many clubs don't have an identity, we can forge one when it comes to keeping players that have been with us since the age of 8.

That's not really an identity as such. If one of the big 4 or 5 clubs come knocking with huge money it will always be very tough for any club to hold onto the player.

My usual position is that we need to keep our players if we intend to progress. Players such as Bale, Walcott, Shearer and Oxlade-Chamberlain are pretty much irreplaceable regardless of how much is paid.

This may be the exception if the £30million figure is correct. (a big if)

We are unlikely to be able to get a better left back than Shaw but that sort of money could help us in more important parts of the pitch. We desperately need forwards and cover in various other positions. That money could go a long way.

If Shaw were the only one to go and the money effectively re-invested in the team then I could live with that. I would much rather keep him and still invest £30million but that is probably hugely optimistic.