The Luke Shaw Rumour thread

Saint Garrett

No we don't. But we should be looking at a GK that is an improvement on Boruc, (just as we 'upgraded' on Cork even though many last season - myself included- did not think this was a position to strengthen),not someone to sit on the bench.

Fair point. I agree.

• 2 weeks later...

Selling Shaw wouldn't be that bad for you and I think it's actually reasonably likely.

1. Pochettino won't be too bothered, he is clearly going to leave at the end of the year and will give him a good chance to either walk out now or leave with a great reputation and blame someone else.

2. It's a position which can be replaced reasonably easily, you can easily get a LB of a similar level for half the money plus you have target coming through.

3. The chairwoman might want pochettino out and can save money by getting him to walk whilst also making some good cash.

4. It's probably paper bull**** and won't happen.

5. If Moyes will promise him the LB role, which seems to be the story, then it's an offer Shaw will have to take very seriously

Selling Shaw wouldn't be that bad for you and I think it's actually reasonably likely.

1. Pochettino won't be too bothered, he is clearly going to leave at the end of the year and will give him a good chance to either walk out now or leave with a great reputation and blame someone else.

2. It's a position which can be replaced reasonably easily, you can easily get a LB of a similar level for half the money plus you have target coming through.

3. The chairwoman might want pochettino out and can save money by getting him to walk whilst also making some good cash.

4. It's probably paper bull**** and won't happen.

5. If Moyes will promise him the LB role, which seems to be the story, then it's an offer Shaw will have to take very seriously

All above I'm afraid I disagree with quite strongly. Apart from 4

There's no better time to sell a young english left back than now. If you want to that is...

Chelsea and Man U having over 30's in that position and Man City needing 'home grown' players means if we can hold out we'll get top, top money for Luke.

Personally, I'll be very surprised if he's not a Chelsea player next season.

You can't say you're not selling anyone in January then sell your most valuable asset in January.

What if Man City offer £75mil, do we say "no we promised our fans we wont sell anyone"?

Everybody has a price. Shaws price will be higher in Jan, but if clubs want to pay that premium and not wait till summer nobody, will turn that down, even Cortese.

2. It's a position which can be replaced reasonably easily, you can easily get a LB of a similar level for half the money

Is it? A pacey left back that is strong,good in the air, has a great touch, solid in defence and decent going forward isn't the easiest thing to find. If it was then why spend £30m on ours? This sort of thing is exactly what was said when Bridge was replaced by Le Saux. It was a terrible deal and one that saw us far far weaker after Wayne had gone. I seem to recall the same thing was said of Bale, "too much money to turn down and we can use that cash to strengthen the squad", but his sale took us from promotion candidates to relegation fodder.

A left back can and currently does make our side tick. When Shaw is not in the side, we don't just concede more goals but we also struggle to create chances. I agree he is likely to leave, the kind of wages man city, united and Chelsea can offer would turn anyone's heads, but don't think for a second that all that cash will make it easy to replace him.

Is he really worth that much? If everyone takes off their rose tinted specs he's worth about 12m tops. 22m is a steal, can buy a striker and left back for that.

At current market prices, yes he is worth that much. This is an 18 year old that already looks good enough to play at the very highest level. It will be a world record fee for a left back to get him IMO.

For me' date=' whether or not we sell also depends on how good we think Targett could be. Those who have seen him, could he be up to Luke's level? We do seem to be able to produce a decent left back in recent years -Bridge, Bale (even though he doesn't plAy there now) & now Shaw.[/quote']

I have seen the Matt Targett play numerous times and he will be saints left back in in a year or so. Saints highly rate him. He is where Luke Shaw was a year or so ago, just on the verges but not quite ready.

That's why I wouldn't have said it. Say we have no plans to sell, we don't want to etc fine but the way it's been phrased it will look silly, even if it is a great fee coming in..

But that's what they said: "We have also said that we have no plans to sell any of the squad during the January transfer window. Yesterday I met the rest of the staff and gave them the same message of support."

Clearly plans change but it's the fans/press that regurgitate the quotes incorrectly, not the club.

Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_276 using Board Express

LOL Targett might be a good prospect but will never be as good as Shaw is now.

Some fans seem to undervalue Shaw. He is awesome hence all the top PL clubs want to sign him.

Whoever replaces him will be a lesser player.

Well, that's encouragement for the rest of the Academy players

They might just as well throw themselves off the Itchen Bridge right now then ??

Targett is nowhere near as good as Shaw. That's not to say he won't be a decent player but there's a big difference in ability between them.

Would be silly to sell Shaw now. Wait until the summer when a bidding war will increase his price.

Friend of mine who worked with the saints first team for a year said target was as good as shaw at the time (2 years ago) and still thinks Hes held in high regard

If that was true wouldn't he be replacing Fox on occasions or have been given a try in the C1C ? He's evidently not considered as good as Clyne at LB anyway so for a real LB that isn't exactly a glowing recommendation.

Some interesting opinions on Targett. I spoke to Doddsy just before the season started about our youth players and who they were excited about. He said Targett wasn't as good as shaw yet but was only a little bit behind ability wise. He said he will be there in a season or so.

Cheers. Who else did he mention?

if shaw,no,when shaw goes,how about shifting clyne to the left and chambers stays on the right

Clyne is so one footed that's not going to work - he has to play on the right

Chambers of the two is probably a lot better on the left

None will be sold this window, but the summer will be the time that will show just how ambitious our owners are for pushing on to the next level or becoming a club who will be happy with mid table/bottom half relegation battles.

I really do expect her to be looking for buyers!

None will be sold this window, but the summer will be the time that will show just how ambitious our owners are for pushing on to the next level or becoming a club who will be happy with mid table/bottom half relegation battles.

I really do expect her to be looking for buyers!

Just because we may sell a player for top money this does not mean the club has lost its ambition. Sell him for an extortionate amount then reinvest that money makes perfect business sense.

What bugs more than anything is that he is English. I really don't think I would care half as much if he was any other nationalty. It really gripes to think that as soon as he leaves he will be called in to the full England squad and will develope even further and very one will rave about how good he is is playing for ........?

Make sense?