The Luke Shaw Rumour thread

Saint Garrett

Can't really see players coming from Monaco being cheap - Lille neither. Havn't seen enough of them to state how they compare to Shaw, but nothing so far to suggest they are that much better.

Luke Shaw is barely 18, we shouldn't be expecting him to play every minute of every game at his age - though yes, better cover would be nice.

I know he's only young but he looks far older

pffft why does that matter windows? I remember when I first saw shaw play, I was like who is that wrinkled old man, is he groundskeeper? No, I was informed, he is our left back + he is only 17! Imagine my surprise!

pffft why does that matter windows? I remember when I first saw shaw play, I was like who is that wrinkled old man, is he groundskeeper? No, I was informed, he is our left back + he is only 17! Imagine my surprise!

perhaps he has premature ageing or something, lad of 18 really shouldn't look that old.

If they offered £30m we'd be nuts not to take it.

I never really understand it when things like this are stated, when we've shown no requirement for any money from player sales, why would we be nuts not to take it? We can still improve the side without selling him, and we wouldn't be able to sign anyone even close to his ability, so it's just a hollow £30m really.

Why? He will be most likely the best left back in the world in 2/3 years time.

You think? He has the potential to be up there at some point in his career but best in the world at the age of 20 seems near enough impossible.

Anyway, even though £30m would buy us a better player (it would) it wouldn't buy us one of the same age, or one that is our own. That last part is essential.

You think? He has the potential to be up there at some point in his career but best in the world at the age of 20 seems near enough impossible.

Anyway, even though £30m would buy us a better player (it would) it wouldn't buy us one of the same age, or one that is our own. That last part is essential.

He won't be far off. Only a couple better in the PL at the moment. In 3 years at 21 there will be very few better than Shaw.

If you fellas don't think £30m for a 18yo full back isn't good business then you're even more clueless than I thought.

Why are you talking about it in terms of "good business"? Saints have shown the are able to spend big money on players regardless of player sales. Why not keep bringing players in and keep existing high quality players?

If you fellas don't think £30m for a 18yo full back isn't good business then you're even more clueless than I thought.

I don't think anyone is saying its not good business.

It's more a case of what it would mean. Our recent spending suggests we aren't reliant on player sales. So it is simply making the clubs we are aiming to compete with stronger, and us weaker.

If we are truly set on the ambition of mixing with the big boys we need to keep hold regardless of the price.

Ok Luke is potentially world class no doubt but potential is not always met.

Let's just say he suffers a serious injury or even a series of niggling ones.

Personally though it comes down to who else we could realistically get as well as taking into account what it impact selling him has on the rest of the side.

There is a point when the money on offer is simply too good to refuse but, for me, it would have to be pretty astronomical in terms of fee.

IMO, it's only good business if it doesn't weaken 'the company' (since we're talking business...). If we gain £30m and can replace him with equal or greater quality for less than £30m, or have sufficient quality already in the squad to not negatively impact us, then yes it's good business.

But if we gain £30m but lose a player that is very important to us, who we can't replace without sacrificing quality and therefore weakens us and our chances of success (and therefore income) it could end up costing us in the long run. That would be very bad business.

I can't think of another LB that can match Shaw's ability, who would suit our style and would come to Southampton and remain for enough years to get good value from them. Luke could have another 15 years ahead of him at this level, if we got even half of that, heck if we just got his 5-year contract, it would be worth £30m.

Think of the number of 18 year old prodigy's that have come to nothing over the years, if anyone was stupid enough to offer £30M then we would be just as stupid not to take it.

I can't think of any who were first choice starters in a Premier League team who didn't go on to be a very good player.

Paper talk, but let's face it £30m is a hell of a lot of money for any teenage lad. But I don't happen to believe that the club would do that deal because I'm not sure we need the money and, more importantly, selling Luke would go against everything this club currently stands for.

If we're serious about becoming a club capable of regularly challenging at the top of the Premier League - and all the indications are that the Chairman is deadly serious in that grand/insane ambition of his - then we'll obviously need players of Luke's ability and potential to achieve that aim. From that perspective it would surely be counterproductive to lose him.

If we are indeed serious about building a team based around young English talent, in large part generated from our own academy, then selling them off before they even reach their full potential would smack of opportunism - a form of short term thinking that runs counter to the medium/long term (rather Germanic style) business model Cortese is pursuing.

Above all if Luke is worth a huge £30m today as a mere 18 year old, then God alone knows what he'd command when he reaches his prime in five or so years time - Gareth Bale type money possibly. So for a club in a fortunate position like ours, a club that does not desperately need the money, then arguably such a deal would not even represent good business.

No, as long as Luke Shaw wants to stay here - and I see not one scintilla of evidence to suggest otherwise - then methinks he's going nowhere.

Ok Luke is potentially world class no doubt but potential is not always met.

Let's just say he suffers a serious injury or even a series of niggling ones.

Personally though it comes down to who else we could realistically get as well as taking into account what it impact selling him has on the rest of the side.

There is a point when the money on offer is simply too good to refuse but, for me, it would have to be pretty astronomical in terms of fee.

Do you see United selling Januzaj "just in case" he gets a back injury?

Arsenal selling Ramsay "just in case"?

If we're going to sell him we need to reinvest the money in the team and make sure we sell him to someone outside of England.

It is all very well saying don't sell him,doesn't Shaw have a choice for his own future? Personally I would like him to stay, but his niggling injuries are a concern and perhaps a hindrance to his progress. If he wants to stay Iam sure the club will keep him,if his agent wants him to leave then we are in trouble