The Luke Shaw Rumour thread

Saint Garrett

Rumouredto be moyes' top target from sources within united

What sources?

Who are these people

If a 17 year old left back with 20-odd games is moyes "top target" you can kiss good bye to the title

Edited by Batman

Where has Irwin said this?

Again, if your defence is an ageing Rio, injured Vidic with an 18 year old rookie who is your "top target"

You will not win the league

Man city and Chelsea will spend a ludicrous amount if money on world class players for already brilliant squads

http://espnfc.com/news/story?id=1472287&cc=4716

Irwin also predicted United will make a bid for Everton’s Leighton Baines and Southampton’s Luke Shaw, while suggesting winger Nani and Patrice Evra will leave Old Trafford this summer as new boss David Moyes prepares to take over from Sir Alex Ferguson.

"Nani will go to Monaco and Patrice Evra may well return to the same club, from whom he joined United," Irwin added. "I’ve also heard a word that the new manager might have Luke Shaw at the top of his list. The teenage Southampton full-back is the latest in a long line of prodigies from that club’s excellent youth system."

If Evra leaves they'll get Baines, and Buttner's their man for young competition. Ludicrous to suggest Shaw's good enough to be their new first choice

Baines would be better but no there's comparison between Shaw and Buttner.

Shaw is easily good enough to play in United's B team and CDAJ in their full first X1, the benefit of being at a big club is that you only have to play 20 plus games as season so they can manage a player's development much better.

Shaw (understandably in my opinion) was over-played this year, if we had followed up the Reading result with one or two more wins he could have knocked off six weeks early which would have been to his long-term benefit.

Hopefully no long-term damage done but (IMO) he's missing out on his all-round development and the 'next level' by missing the England u21 tour.

I fully expect him to be here next year and 'if' we get the sort of investment we are all hoping for it would be nice to think he would stay long-term, but in reality if we get another 1 to 2 seasons we will have done well.

Baines would be better but no there's comparison between Shaw and Buttner.

Shaw is easily good enough to play in United's B team and CDAJ in their full first X1, the benefit of being at a big club is that you only have to play 20 plus games as season so they can manage a player's development much better.

Shaw (understandably in my opinion) was over-played this year, if we had followed up the Reading result with one or two more wins he could have knocked off six weeks early which would have been to his long-term benefit.

Hopefully no long-term damage done but (IMO) he's missing out on his all-round development and the 'next level' by missing the England u21 tour.

I fully expect him to be here next year and 'if' we get the sort of investment we are all hoping for it would be nice to think he would stay long-term, but in reality if we get another 1 to 2 seasons we will have done well.

I think it's a benefit for him to have some time relaxing rather than going to Israel and probably not playing.

I think it's a benefit for him to have some time relaxing rather than going to Israel and probably not playing.

After the season he's had I'd agree, in an ideal world (for LS not for SFC) he would play have played 10-12 games this season and gone on the international tour.

That's why we'll never have a decent England first team; it's club, club, club, money, money,money, we don't do tournament play and we don't do international football (very well).

After the season he's had I'd agree, in an ideal world (for LS not for SFC) he would play have played 10-12 games this season and gone on the international tour.

That's why we'll never have a decent England first team; it's club, club, club, money, money,money, we don't do tournament play and we don't do international football (very well).

Not sure how that has any influence on England winning a major tournament.

Poor lad greeting grief on twitter for accidental tweet of "manUtd_PO"

Phone was in pocket.

I am not sure how it can be an accidental tweet in all honesty. He's being a silly boy if he is playing games and should show some respect to the Saints fans. If he want to sit on the United bench for the next 2 years then that will give him plenty of time to get his tweets right.

Poor lad greeting grief on twitter for accidental tweet of "manUtd_PO"

Phone was in pocket.

Not very likely story but there you go. Slightly odd nonetheless.

That's the address of the MUFC press office. The good news for us what's even less likely is the club and the player would be communicating through twitter.

Looks like an accidental 'empty' reply to the original tweet to me. All this suggests is that he follows @ManUtd_PO, which may be slightly intriguing in itself I guess, although it's not unusual for fans and players to follow twitter accounts for other teams.

ana5uza6.jpg

Looks like an accidental 'empty' reply to the original tweet to me. All this suggests is that he follows @ManUtd_PO, which may be slightly intriguing in itself I guess, although it's not unusual for fans and players to follow twitter accounts for other teams.

ana5uza6.jpg

He isn't following them, or any other club for that matter

Young Luke should be careful not to take any notice of the hype that surrounds him. He is not a star yet, merely a very talented and promising youngster. He will get nowhere near the First X1 at either Chelsea or Man U, and only got in our starting line up because Fox was so bad. He is not that impressive when making forward runs, and is light years behind Baines in that respect. He needs to put his phone away and concentrate on working hard and improving himself.

He isn't following them, or any other club for that matter

Fair dos. Slightly more curious as to why he should be replying to someone he doesn't follow in that case. (Unless someone else tagged him I guess)

Edited by trousers

in the past he has posted empty tweets or tweets which suggest random keys being pressed so he does have previous:)

he most probably opened the tweet and forgot to lock his phone. why reply with nothing, doesnt make sense unless accidental.

To watch the internet go into meltdown?

130315_iraqslide%20Mission%20Accomplished.jpg

Give him a break, he probably did it or a laugh whilst smashed on holiday enjoying himself like a 17 year old should do away with his mates. Which player wouldn't want to join Man United?

My thoughts too. He saw the Tweet and thought it would be funny, or one of his mates saw the Tweet and stitched him up.

Either way, not worth getting too excited about.

Assuming the worst then......

We're in the money!!!! Ker-ching!!!! etc

why are we in the money ? Shaw has no full professional contract with us and in theory could move to Man U at will and leave us with just whatever the tribunal decide he's worth. As he's had a few injuries and pulled out of the U21s two or three times the tribunal settlement might not be as elevated as we think.

why are we in the money ? Shaw has no full professional contract with us and in theory could move to Man U at will and leave us with just whatever the tribunal decide he's worth. As he's had a few injuries and pulled out of the U21s two or three times the tribunal settlement might not be as elevated as we think.

He does have a pro contract that was signed previously. He will most likely sign another one in a month too.

He is under contract, just a limited one.

As for the trbunal, it's 7 years down the line from Theo Walcott moving for 12 million and Alex raised the same sum in league 1.

Fully expect this to be a mountain from a molehill though.

He is under contract, just a limited one.

As for the trbunal, it's 7 years down the line from Theo Walcott moving for 12 million and Alex raised the same sum in league 1.

Fully expect this to be a mountain from a molehill though.

Walcott's and AOC's fees were negociated out of respect to the Club but in theory either of them could have just walked away and left it to the tribunal to decide. If we put the bar too high and Shaw really wants to move to Man U before he's 18 (which I doubt anyway) there is no legal obligation for Man U to meet our fee.They can just sign the player to professional terms and leave a tribunal to decide and they won't give us 12 million.

no he doesn't, that's the whole point.No under 18 player can be on full professional terms.

Thats not true, Shaw already has a professional contract.

Chamberlain joined Arsenal aged 17, if he hadn't been on a pro contract then the issue could have been resolved at tribunal. It wasnt. Arsenal had to agree a fee with us because the player had a pro deal, as does Shaw now.

I think the rule is it can only be a maximum of 3 years which is why they try to get players on long term one once they become 18, but certainly they have contracts. For example, Ryan Seagar who recently signed one - another team can't just pinch him and go to a tribunal without our agreement:

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/academy-duo-pen-professional-deals-793376.aspx

Edited by Saint Charlie

Walcott's and AOC's fees were negociated out of respect to the Club but in theory either of them could have just walked away and left it to the tribunal to decide. If we put the bar too high and Shaw really wants to move to Man U before he's 18 (which I doubt anyway) there is no legal obligation for Man U to meet our fee.They can just sign the player to professional terms and leave a tribunal to decide and they won't give us 12 million.

When AOC left it was after a long protracted spell of negotiation which let to him finally declaring he wished to leave. It was widely declared at the time that Arsenal had failed to meet our demands for him and he was only permitted to leave after Cortese squeezed the 12 million (rising to 15 million) fee from them. At no point did the then 17 year old walk away. - He couldn't, he was under contract.

The Walcott situation was entirely different as he was under the 17 year old deadline that you need to cross before being a contracted pro. Curiously, that avoided tribunal as Arsenal agreed the fee of 5mill rising to 12 mill based on clauses, presumably out of some kind of professional respect.

Edited by Colinjb

When AOC left it was after a long protracted spell of negotiation which let to him finally declaring he wished to leave. It was widely declared at the time that Arsenal had failed to meet our demands for him and he was only permitted to leave after Cortese squeezed the 12 million (rising to 15 million) fee from them. At no point did the then 17 year old walk away. - He couldn't, he was under contract.

The Walcott situation was entirely different as he was under the 17 year old deadline that you need to cross before being a contracted pro. Curiously, that avoided tribunal as Arsenal agreed the fee of 5mill rising to 12 mill based on clauses, presumably out of some kind of professional respect.

This. If anyone wants Shaw they have to deal with Saints and we have to agree (relunctantly) to let him go, he cannot just decide he wants to go somewhere and get up and go.

By all accounts he will sign another "long term" contract here which gives us more leverage and security to get a big fee for him when he inevitably does go - but he won't this summer.

No. That is just plane wrong.

no he doesn't, that's the whole point.No under 18 player can be on full professional terms.

I think you'll find he is signed until he is 20 years old. 3 years from 17 ;)