The Luke Shaw Rumour thread

Saint Garrett

Lazy, lying scumbag Sun journos

this.

lazy journalism. It's the obvious story isn't it. Academy player approaching age when he can sign a pro contract so they assume he'll do it at the club he's at.

Lazy, lying scumbag journos.

OK lads, hankies out for Chelsea and Man U ....they won't be getting Shaw ....But really .....did they EVER think they had a chance?...or was it just massaging their own ego's ? :poundit:

Why is it these " big clubs " always think that they can come and wave their cheques books in our face, and we'll drop down on and kiss their ....feet !

.....and as for the" so-called" journos who've been spreading these rumours for the last 6-9 months.....they ought to go back to serving behind the bar, instead of leaning on it .

Edited by david in sweden

OK lads, hankies out for Chelsea amd Man U ....they won't be getting Shaw ....But really .....did they EVER think they had a chance?...or was it just massaging their own ego's ? :poundit:

Why is it these " big clubs " always think that they can come and wave their cheques books in our face, and we'll drop down on and kiss their ....feet !

.....and as for the" so-called" journos who've been spreading these rumours for the last 6-9 months.....they ought to go back to serving behind the bar, instead of leaning on it .

The worst were the Arsenal rumours, "Arsenal who have a good relationship with the club having bought Oxo and Theo from them" good relationship? That's akin to thanking the loan shark who gives you enough money to feed yourself this month while you pay him twice the money back.

this.

lazy journalism. It's the obvious story isn't it. Academy player approaching age when he can sign a pro contract so they assume he'll do it at the club he's at.

Surely one of the forum comedians will write one of those hilarious skits based on a conversation between a lazy journo and his editor.

I love them - that magic combination of being uproariously funny along with being razor-sharp accurate about how journalists, like, make everything up out of thin air.

Here's an opening line to start you off, but the real forum wags can finish it...

"Hey boss, I'm so bored now the season is over and we can't hack phones no more so I thought I would make up a story. You know, like we always do. I hate Southampton but lets do one on them"

[......]

The worst were the Arsenal rumours, "Arsenal who have a good relationship with the club having bought Oxo and Theo from them" good relationship?

That's akin to thanking the loan shark who gives you enough money to feed yourself this month while you pay him twice the money back.

...or who makes you pawn your gold watch, and then gives you a sundial for the garden.

Surely one of the forum comedians will write one of those hilarious skits based on a conversation between a lazy journo and his editor.

I love them - that magic combination of being uproariously funny along with being razor-sharp accurate about how journalists, like, make everything up out of thin air.

Here's an opening line to start you off, but the real forum wags can finish it...

"Hey boss, I'm so bored now the season is over and we can't hack phones no more so I thought I would make up a story. You know, like we always do. I hate Southampton but lets do one on them"

......of course, thank goodness that never happens CB.

......of course, thank goodness that never happens CB.

But what does happen is you taking a groundless rumour in the Sun as proof that all the other stories in the papers were groundless rumours.

You really couldn't make that up.

Maybe I'm stating the obvious here but surely people realise the journalists are fed this information from the wanting to buy clubs as a way of unsettling the player to try and get him to force the club to sell to them.

And at the risk of sounding a nob, why is the spelling set to american in here. It's realise not realize

Maybe I'm stating the obvious here but surely people realise the journalists are fed this information from the wanting to buy clubs as a way of unsettling the player to try and get him to force the club to sell to them.

And at the risk of sounding a nob, why is the spelling set to american in here. It's realise not realize

Are those not your browser settings that you can change at any time?

You won't last long here.

Journalists make it all up. They make it all up I tells ya.

A healthy dose of cynicism probably based on years of experience of journalists either making things up, or just plain lying. I like your style.

But what does happen is you taking a groundless rumour in the Sun as proof that all the other stories in the papers were groundless rumours.

You really couldn't make that up.

UGH ? .....did I say that, I was agreeing with you. All journalists are as honest as the day is long -aren't they? ...except those who worked for the (former) NOTW ........

Hear, hear.

There's too many morons (particularly on twitter I've found) around these days that don't know how to spell.

It is 'rumour' 'centre' 'colour' and 'favourite'

I don't think that's what he said...

So we people all realise that these are stories fed to the journalists by clubs wanting to buy those players, but the journalists themselves somehow fail to realise that they are being conned? Poor saps. They'll not be fooled the next time that somebody tries to pull the wool over their eyes by suggesting that certain clubs wish to buy certain players. Or will they? After all, it's their credibility that's on the line.

What credibility, you may well ask.

So we people all realise that these are stories fed to the journalists by clubs wanting to buy those players, but the journalists themselves somehow fail to realise that they are being conned? Poor saps. They'll not be fooled the next time that somebody tries to pull the wool over their eyes by suggesting that certain clubs wish to buy certain players. Or will they? After all, it's their credibility that's on the line.

Or, in the real world, Chelsea would like to sign Luke Shaw.

This coming from the man who on the day Adkins was sacked still insisted the media reporting it before it was officially announced were lying and sh*t stirring. :lol:

You may want to read this

To paraphrase Mandy Rice-Davies, they would say that, wouldn't they?

CB Fry:

Or, in the real world, Chelsea would like to sign Luke Shaw.

As would Man Utd, Arsenal, Tottenham and City

But maybe in the real world, with luck that will be delayed for a season

this.

Yawn, change the record. We get it, some people dismiss or enthuse about newspaper stories depending on how negative/positive the story is.

You pointed it out ages ago, well done, but why the need to repeat it, it's boring.

Yawn, change the record. We get it, some people dismiss or enthuse about newspaper stories depending on how negative/positive the story is.

You pointed it out ages ago, well done, but why the need to repeat it, it's boring.

So boring you were compelled to comment on it.

As would Man Utd, Arsenal, Tottenham and City

But maybe in the real world, with luck that will be delayed for a season

And I do believe we've heard about some of them as well. Maybe the people at Chelsea have been more vocal about their admiration and therefore - gasp - it gets reported more often? Because the story has a source?

OK lads, hankies out for Chelsea and Man U ....they won't be getting Shaw ....But really .....did they EVER think they had a chance?...or was it just massaging their own ego's ? :poundit:

Indeed, I suspect not.

One of the best things that NC has done since he got here is the way he handled the negotiations over AOCs sale to Arsenal; its an act which I think is massively underappreciated by our fans.

He basically raised the drawbridge (for as long as we are in the top tier) from our youngsters being swooped upon by the big clubs. He squeezed Arsenal's balls dry with that transfer (it may even be the reason Wenger nowadays seems so reluctant to part with dosh for new signings) , and the other big clubs know they have to get past NC in future.

And I do believe we've heard about some of them as well. Maybe the people at Chelsea have been more vocal about their admiration and therefore - gasp - it gets reported more often? Because the story has a source?

Or maybe it's because Shaw was a boyhood fan of Chelsea and expressed a desire to play for them one day. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that that might be the reason why they would be favourites. I don't recall denying anywhere that Chelsea or any of these other clubs had expressed an interest in Shaw. But seemingly the papers have been guilty of premature ejaculation by giving the impression that he would be gone from here before the start of the season.

Or maybe it's because Shaw was a boyhood fan of Chelsea and expressed a desire to play for them one day. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that that might be the reason why they would be favourites. I don't recall denying anywhere that Chelsea or any of these other clubs had expressed an interest in Shaw. But seemingly the papers have been guilty of premature ejaculation by giving the impression that he would be gone from here before the start of the season.

I'm not sure I've ever read that from a journalist, only from fans. All I've read is that he's linked, Chelsea are interested and the bare statement of fact that he said he'd like to play for them one day. Maybe some speculation (presented as such) that it would point towards him going. Not unreasonable, is it?

If they were so committed to lying in order to shift papers do you not think they'd keep going with these rumours until the minute he signs a new contract, rather than reporting that he's going to sign it as most have now done?

I'm not sure I've ever read that from a journalist, only from fans. All I've read is that he's linked, Chelsea are interested and the bare statement of fact that he said he'd like to play for them one day. Maybe some speculation (presented as such) that it would point towards him going. Not unreasonable, is it?

If they were so committed to lying in order to shift papers do you not think they'd keep going with these rumours until the minute he signs a new contract, rather than reporting that he's going to sign it as most have now done?

All I know is that I hold the position of cynic in these matters. I have a lifetime's experience of the newspaper industry which has brought me to that cynicism, based on a succession of reported stories which has included incidents of bending the facts/distortion of the truth, wrong conclusions formed from the evidence they hold, half truths, as well as opinions dressed up as facts, not to mention downright lies. Ultimately their aim is to sell newspapers and it is a fact of human nature that the Red Top punters are more likely to be attracted to the more lurid or sensational stories, which encourages some embellishment of the truth in itself.

I really can't be bothered to draw any conclusions as to which of that list applied to the Shaw story, but it is telling reading the defence of the Sun journo, that he felt the need to be so defensive. As one commentator suggested, methinks he doth protest too much.

Oh the self appointed sheriff of the mboard. Upholder of interesting posts and debate. To be fair your posts are never dull, they always get a laugh from me.

LOL the fact that you constantly refer to the forum as 'mong board' about sums up your input, the only 'mongs' as you put it are people like yourself.

LOL the fact that you constantly refer to the forum as 'mong board' about sums up your input, the only 'mongs' as you put it are people like yourself.

oh that hurts Tajy, i dont know how i'll ever recover from such a put down. "That's you that is" ouch.

Maybe i should get myself at it a bit more like the great posters like yourself and come out with quite genuis comments such as "chelsea and QPR prove that money doesn't mean success" a class of post on another level to many i've seen and that's saying something, quite brilliant and hilarious for so many reason. If i came out with inspired stuff like that then people wont think i'm a clown. :lol:

PL football is not the be all and end all mate. Clearly the current set up under Pochettino is not working in his favour. IMO since Adkins left his performances have been dwindling. Certainly not living up to all the hype. The lad's looking for a new challenge, a style of play more suited to his abilities, a new beginning. I wouldn't hold it against him at all.

He is far, far, far, FAR more likely to get an England cap at Chelsea or wherever he ends up, and at such a young age to boot. Call it bench warming all you like but to say the boy's career will simply stall is b*llocks. He is good enough to be first choice anywhere IMO. More exposure, more money, more trophies etc. how can you blame him?

err, 14th place in the league?? "no matter what position we're in" is a bit of a stretch, non? We're hardly in a great position at the moment with all the chaos surrounding those in charge and future plans...throw in the fact we finished the season with a whimper and as uninspiring as ever, I find it quite incredible someone as intelligent as yourself thinks selling Shaw means what I highlighted in the quote.

AFAIC, £15m for a 17 year old? I'd bite your hand off.

I love the way that posters on here are always ready to bite hands off for sums of money considerably less than we eventually sell at :)

Has saints ever sold a youngster that has gone on to win silverware? They pretty much always state that is the reason for leaving but I don't know of any that have. They seem to move to a top 5 club but either flounder themselves or the club doesn't win silverware (arsenal).

Has saints ever sold a youngster that has gone on to win silverware? They pretty much always state that is the reason for leaving but I don't know of any that have. They seem to move to a top 5 club but either flounder themselves or the club doesn't win silverware (arsenal).

Bale won the Carling Cup with Spurs in 2008, not sure if he was in the squad for the final or on the bench etc. though but I'd of thought he'd have a winners medal from that maybe.

Hear, hear.

There's too many morons (particularly on twitter I've found) around these days that don't know how to spell.

It is 'rumour' 'centre' 'colour' and 'favourite'

Ha ha, love this. There are too many morons (particularly on forums I've found) around these days that don't know how to spell.

It is 'here here' not 'hear hear'

Not sure if you would count Alan Shearer as a youngster when he was sold to Blackburn...

..... :) Oh the irony

Ha ha, love this. There are too many morons (particularly on forums I've found) around these days that don't know how to spell.

It is 'here here' not 'hear hear'

It is hear, hear not here, here actually :D :lol:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=hear%2C+hear

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/hear-hear

likeabossv.jpg

Next.

Edited by BlakeySFC