The Luke Shaw Rumour thread

Saint Garrett

United and every other top side will have had dossiers on Shaw for 4 or 5 years, it says so in The Nowhere Men (excellent Mike Calvin book on football scouting).

If you were a top PL club looking for a long term left back then Shaw would be your no 1 choice because he is going to be a superb player.

Im pretty certain Saints will get 25m plus when we do eventually lose him though.

Edited by Saint Charlie

Do you think at some point Shaw will be converted to a LW like Bale,I know full backs these days play that role but if we could develop the attacking side of his game and he could chip in with goals his value will go up no end.

Nope.

Shaw is a defender, who can attack. Whereas Bale was an attacker who tried to defend.

I don't think Bale was ever a natural defender, he didn't show any natural instincts at left back. Switching him to attack brought out all the qualities in his game though.

I see lots of defensive instincts in Shaw, he reads the game well, positions him self well and knows when to attack and sit. Much more of a defender than Bale.

Nope.

Shaw is a defender, who can attack. Whereas Bale was an attacker who tried to defend.

I don't think Bale was ever a natural defender, he didn't show any natural instincts at left back. Switching him to attack brought out all the qualities in his game though.

I see lots of defensive instincts in Shaw, he reads the game well, positions him self well and knows when to attack and sit. Much more of a defender than Bale.

I see what you are saying and I agree with that,but the more I see of Shaw and the more he grows in confidence/becomes experienced I see a lot of attacking coming into his game as well.

He has started to try and cut inside with the ball instead of running straight down the line like he did early last season.this may all be part of his development though,you sometimes forget his age when you see him play as he plays well beyond his years.

Either way if he carries on as his is we will have a struggle to keep him here once the big boys come a knocking,because Cole & Evra cant have that long left and Man U and Chelsea will have one eye on replacements for those positions

Atleast it's one of the first articles to value him at more than £10m. Bit more realistic and more likely to go for £25m.

Only if we can find someone of at least immediately comparable calibre willing to join.

Good to see that some newspapers (if you can call the Daily Star something that reports 'news') are picking up that we do not need to sell.

Only if we can find someone of at least immediately comparable calibre willing to join.

Good to see that some newspapers (if you can call the Daily Star something that reports 'news') are picking up that we do not need to sell.

Buttner. The irony is that Shaw only got his chance because our deal for Buttner fell through as he went to Utd.

Money and player..... works for me

I'd drive him up there for that much. Good player.......yes........worth that money.......no

If we want to challenge at the top end of the table then we need to keep his quality. If you could guarantee that his replacement would be pretty much as good then no problem, but finding that player and getting him is a different matter.

Luke's a Chelsea fan - surely if he was to leave us for anyone it would be them? Especially as Mourinho is managing them again.

did he go to lots of games in his youth (what am I saying, he is still in his youth) home and especially away? I think without those kind of experiences your draw to a club isn't anywhere near as strong.

Buttner. The irony is that Shaw only got his chance because our deal for Buttner fell through as he went to Utd.

Money and player..... works for me

I believe that Luke is a by far better player then Buttner, even now, let alone as he grows further.

It wouldn't be a good replacement for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Tottenham Hotspur determined to land Southampton star Luke Shaw in January and will open bidding at £15m

Spurs will continue their summer sprending spree in January and have made Southampton left back Luke Shaw their top target.

Shaw has been on Tottenham's radar for more than a year and was high on their shortlist in the summer.

Due to lengthy negotiations with Real Madrid over Gareth Bale and Andre Villas-Boas' eagerness to have a player ready to play in the first team, Spurs pursued Fabio Coentrao instead.

However that deal is now thought to be unlikely given the player's wage demands and Tottenham have been impressed enough with Shaw's performances this season to make a significant bid in January.

Southampton are reluctant to let their prize asset leave but Spurs are thought to be ready to offer £15m while allowing Shaw to remain at St Mary's for the rest of the season.

Can't see it myself but every player has a price.

that `short list' of Spurs was pretty long seeing as they signed Fryers, Paulinho, Chadli, Soldado, Capoue, Chiriches, Eriksen and Lamela, spending over £105m in the process. One can only imagine the response to any enquiry was "on your bike" or "yes, but I woudn't advise spending any of the Bale money elsewhere as you'll need most of it." I'd guess the same response will be offered to any further enquiries in January.

• 4 weeks later...
http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/439517/Southampton-star-Luke-Shaw-to-turn-down-Manchester-United-for-Chelsea

I guess we should get used to reporting surrounding our much sought after players...

Afraid so, especially for Luke. Both Chelsea and United need long term replacement left backs and as he's clearly the best english prospect in that position he will naturally be high on the list. Much as we are all revelling in our recent ascent up the leagues, we have to be realistic about our status as a club. Both of those names are a huge draw for any player in the way we will probably never be, so it will be hard to keep him, especially as he's a Chelsea fan. Once a player knows he's wanted and wants to go its hard to keep them. I imagine cortese will ensure we get our money's worth but I'd be very surprised if he doesn't go by next summer.

Luke Shaw and Kieran Gibbs are set to be given the chance to stake their claims for a World Cup place next summer.

Leighton Baines has now ousted Ashley Cole as England's first choice left back.

And England manager Roy Hodgson is considering whether it is better to take a younger No 3 as understudy to Brazil than Cole, who has been capped 105 times by England and represents the past not the future.

Both Shaw and Gibbs could be given playing time in the forthcoming friendlies against Chile and Germany. Shaw will also be a target for Manchester United in January if the club fail in their second attempt to lure Baines from Everton.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2477654/THE-FOOTBALL-GRAPEVINE-Wayne-Rooneys-wage-demands-turned-Manchester-United--Rob-Shepherd.html

I feel an injury coming on.

Don't worry about the MU bit. The Express is sure Baines is going to MU.

After watching Ashley Cole against Newcastle today, when he looked both physically and mentally slow, I don't think Chelsea will be waiting for it to get much worse. Meanwhile, Shaw looks good against virtually every kind of opponent and in pretty much every third of the pitch. So much so that his age is seldom mentioned any more.

Unless they have their eyes on someone else, or the MP/Mourinho relationship helps us out, I'm expecting them to go full-bore for Shaw in January.

• 4 weeks later...
Shaw's representatives have a strong relationship with Tottenham. His agent also represents Spurs forward Erik Lamela.

Or.... Lamela's representatives have a strong relationship with Southampton. His agent also represents saints left back Luke shaw.

So easy to make assumptions.

Osvaldo widely reported 15 million with add-ons? But yeah, Ramirez about 12mill from what I recall.

Less than that if I remember correctly. Pretty sure Roma had to release their accounts due to being on the stock exchange and it was less than what was being reported in the British press

Go on, like who?

Just off the top of my head then.

Kurzawa from Monaco, Soaré from Lille and the Bosnian bloke from Lazio, all young players who are far better defensively than Luke Shaw. You could probably get them all for the price you could (in theory ) get for Shaw. He'll probably be out again on Saturday and we'll be back to either Fox or Clyne out of position.