The Luke Shaw Rumour thread

Saint Garrett

• 2 weeks later...

“As you can see with the likes of James Ward-Prowse, Luke Shaw, and Jack Stephens - who signed a new contract recently - the club is trying to bring youth through, and that’s really good for us so hopefully now I can follow their steps."

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/turnbull-signs-contract-extension-880218.aspx#la4x5TuL44ckPaSQ.99

Edited by Matthew Le God

“As you can see with the likes of James Ward-Prowse, Luke Shaw, and Jack Stephens - who signed a new contract recently - the club is trying to bring youth through, and that’s really good for us so hopefully now I can follow their steps."

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/turnbull-signs-contract-extension-880218.aspx#la4x5TuL44ckPaSQ.99

You do realise he's referring to Jack Stephens, don't you?

• 2 weeks later...
@SimonPeach: “@OfficialShaw23: @SimonPeach Hi Simon, Any chance of RT for the fan page of Luke Shaw?” These guys should be happy soon... #newdeal

^ I'm of an age where I have no idea what people are saying with this twitter thing, nor who is saying what. Is it Shaw contacting Peach and intimating that he is to sign a new contract? No idea what RT is.

A twitter account that is a tribute to Luke Shaw asked Simon Peach to retweet their message which will show it to everyone that follows Simon Peach in order to try and help them get more people to follow them. Simon Peach then copied that message and tweeted it with his own comment that "these guys should be happy soon" referring to the Luke Shaw fan page liking Shaw will soon sign a new contract. Luke Shaw himself was not involved at all in this conversation on Twitter, it says "officialshaw23" but that is the fan account.

I hope that is clear and helps you. :)

The Sun claims Luke Shaw's new contract will be £25,000 p/w when he signs the 5 year deal on his 18th birthday next week.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4999690/Luke-Shaw-to-snub-giants-and-sign-new-Southampton-deal.html

Not a bad 18th birthday present...£1.2million

Think I got 10 year old blue fiesta with one grey door when I turned 18.

He could easily move further up the pitch like Gareth Bale did. He was used as a winger whilst in Saints youth teams on occasions and Pochettino gives Shaw and Clyne a lot of freedom to play very high up the pitch.

Not sure he'd be as successful in that role as Bale is - one of Bale's real strengths as a winger is his height and his strength as well as his Ronaldo-esque athleticism. Haven't seen any of those attributes in Luke's game so far, personally I think he'll make for a world-class overlapping fullback ala Baines as opposed to somebody who runs the flank like Bale does.

Not sure he'd be as successful in that role as Bale is - one of Bale's real strengths as a winger is his height and his strength as well as his Ronaldo-esque athleticism. Haven't seen any of those attributes in Luke's game so far, personally I think he'll make for a world-class overlapping fullback ala Baines as opposed to somebody who runs the flank like Bale does.

Shaw is bigger built than Bale at the same age, I saw him outmuscle numerous players last season. He is also extremely quick.

Shaw is bigger built than Bale at the same age, I saw him out-muscle numerous players last season. He is also extremely quick.

Bigger built, but Bale is at least a couple of inches taller than Shaw. Not saying that Luke is in any way a bit fey (i've also seen him out-muscle some pretty strong players) but Bale has a different kind of strength, much like Ronaldo (yes, I will make that comparison again). Not so much in his physicality, but more in how he uses his height and strength when dispossessing a player.

Isn´t the biggest difference between them at age 17-18 how strike the ball...?

Already in that age Bale was good at freekicks etc and I dont think Luke is anywhere near that now and therefore he probably will be more of that overlaping type of fullback as Baines rather than moving forward to a Bale position...

He could easily move further up the pitch like Gareth Bale did. He was used as a winger whilst in Saints youth teams on occasions and Pochettino gives Shaw and Clyne a lot of freedom to play very high up the pitch.

Shaw is far more gifted a defender than Bale was when he played for us (let's be honest Bale's defending wasn't that great, he was a winger being shoehorned in at LB). Shaw gets up and down the pitch really well, but for me his defending is the stronger part of his game. he has the makings of the perfect modern full back (strong, quick, hard to beat in the air and very good at going forward.

Shaw hasn't fired in any decent shots from what I can remember. I'm pretty certain he'll stick at left back.

Shaw is bigger built than Bale at the same age, I saw him outmuscle numerous players last season. He is also extremely quick.

At the same age Shaw is a better defender than Bale was but Bale was a better in the opposition half.

Shaw will be a top draw FB but he'll never be in the same league as Bale as he doesn't travel with or strike the ball as well. The only thing they really have in common is that they played LB for Saints.

• 2 months later...

If it was, the thing to not is a price was quoted, Mourinho wasn't told that the player wasn't for sale he just felt the price was too high. I don't imagine we'd name a price for Shaw but would rather consider any offers received as we are not actively looking to sell.