The Luke Shaw Rumour thread

Saint Garrett

January 2013...

May 2013...

Luke Shaw has told Southampton of his desire to stay and sign a first senior contract at the club this summer, despite interest from Chelsea.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/southampton/10072222/Teenage-prospect-Luke-Shaw-to-stay-at-Southampton-despite-interest-from-Chelsea.html

July 2013...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSuN-AvuQ6B51iHJU6PgSSVgpGwf-BAaYca7CFpVjkqJTuqsYjiSA

tumblr_megpxz0Law1rmot3ko1_400.jpg

Edited by Matthew Le God

The mail flogging the same dead horse since january I see ...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2328682/David-Moyes-wants-sign-Luke-Shaw.html

"Reports suggested he would be lured away after playing few games last season" ... hmm, why let silly things like facts get in the way of a good story, just one more reason I never have, or will, buy the mail.

And on a positive note here's an article in the "Telegraph" today

Teenage prospect Luke Shaw to stay at Southampton despite interest from Chelsea

Luke Shaw has told Southampton of his desire to stay and sign a first senior contract at the club this summer, despite interest from Chelsea.

Rising star: Southampton's Luke Shaw is one of the most sought-after young players in the Premier League Photo: GETTY IMAGES

By Jeremy Wilson8:36PM BST 21 May 20136 Comments

At just 17, Shaw has enjoyed an exceptional first season in the Premier League and is among the most sought-after teenagers in the country.

Chelsea have identified Shaw as a potential long-term replacement to Ashley Cole at left-back but the player has verbally pledged his future to Southampton and said he wants to continue his development in the first team. Southampton are now confident that he will sign a five-year contract when he turns 18 on July 12.

Shaw has made it clear to Southampton that his choice is being dictated by footballing reasons and the opportunity to play regularly for a club who expect to establish themselves in the Premier League in the coming years.

His decision will come as a blow to Chelsea – and probable manager Jose Mourinho – although they can be expected to renew their interest again next year, when Cole will be out of contract.

Southampton have lost Gareth Bale, Theo Walcott, Wayne Bridge and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain to leading London clubs over the past decade, but chairman Nicola Cortese would only listen to offers if Shaw expressed a desire to leave.

Cortese has received a fresh mandate from owner Katharina Liebherr to continue at Southampton and there is no financial pressure to make any sales this summer.

Look at this beautiful article, especially the date they "publish" it and then read the article and finish with dates of comments.....

Anyone on the forum that think this is NOT lazy journalism?? :)

http://sabotagetimes.com/reportage/manchester-united-target-luke-shaw-three-other-talented-southampton-teenagers/

That article has weirdly been rehashed 4 or 5 times now. It was originally written last summer I think.

Odd.

What's he worth... every player has his price right?

Personally I'd sell him for £15m if we could keep him for one year on loan whilst we look to climb the table. Our youngsters are not guaranteed to all become Bale's and Walcott's, but we do need to reinforce our team not bleed out our best if we want to kick on. But, to kick on we need cash and we need to retain our best. So selling high and keeping him on loan seems to work for me as we advance towards the top half, its a helpful compromise.

Don't get me wrong though, I'd prefer not to sell. If we need £15m to reinforce, sell Ramirez not Shaw.

I guess we have the luxury of keeping such youngsters when we're top four. Meantime, we need to finance our progression to the top four. To sell or not to sell... horrible dilemma really. I hate being a feeder club to the top 4. But, until we are top 4 how else can we finance our progression to get there?

He's not yet signed his proper contract yet (July when he's 18 )

Why do people think we have a choice whether we sell or not.

It doesn't matter what we want or what our ambition is...... does is?

How can we sell him?

I would not sell Luke for £15m. Only people who haven't seen much of him would. He's 17 and could potentially become England's left back for the next 10+ years.

I know he won't be unless we are consistently top 6 but the longer we keep him, the longer he plays for us, and the more his value rises...until he gets to about 27/8.

Keep him for as long as possible (as long as we don't need the money) and get the best we can out of him.

Probably the same way we got a proper fee for Theo

A lot of goodwill and integrity from the player rather than just walking out the door

Theo signed and then we sold him. Almost on the same day.

Is that what shaw is going to do?

Until he signs on the line (for anyone) anything can happen.

If what I heard was true, then Spurs thought they had him, now Chelsea do, but until he signs, who knows.

If the Chelsea thing doesn't happen though, it doesn't mean that what I heard was never true, just that situations evolve until they're set in stone. Jose may come in and say he doesn't want him.

Maybe he'll stay.... Maybe Real Madrid will come in and guzump Chelsea? Chelsea have a lousy record of buying kids and them never seeing the light of day again. The same of Spurs. Remember Bostock from Crystal Palace? That one did go to tribunal and Palace got about £2m and were seething (Lots in Simon Jordan's biography about that). Bostock barely got a game. If he stayed at Palace and got a game every week who knows where he'd be now. Luke ought to stay a few more years if you ask me.

The good news if he does go to Chelseaa would be that they aren't adverse to lending their kids out, so we should be able to negotiate a one or two year loan back. I doubt we could keep him more than a couple of years more anyway so to have someone else pay the bulk of his wages, £15m in the bank, and the use of the player for a year or two seems perfect to me.

Edited by Winchester Red

From last summer when Shaw was promoted to the first team...

http://web.archive.org/web/20120522052755/http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10280~2776895,00.html

Luke Shaw

Full-back Shaw made his First Team debut this season, coming on as a substitute in an FA Cup fourth round tie at Millwall.

The 16-year-old appeared as a 77th-minute replacement for Jason Puncheon in a 1-1 draw at the Den.

Luke had been an unused substitute on two occasions earlier in the campaign, being named on the bench for a Carling Cup win over Preston North End and FA Cup victory away at Coventry City.

The Kingston-born defender was selected alongside clubmate Chambers in John Peacock's England Under 17 squad for their Elite Qualifying Round fixtures in Georgia in March.

He made his debut for the national U17 team last August, and has since made eight appearances and scored once.

Shaw has played for Dodd's side on 18 occasions this season, netting three times. He also made nine appearances for the Under 21 squad during the 2011/2012 campaign.

Luke will begin a professional contract when he turns 17 in July, having joined five other Academy players in agreeing to do so 18 months ago

He's under a professional contract

As far as I can remember Shaw signed the max allowable term (3yrs ?) on his 17th birthday. Can't sign longer contract until 18th birthday. There is a 5 year contract for then. Either way he is a contracted professional with the club and he is going nowhere until Cortese agrees.

As far as I can remember Shaw signed the max allowable term (3yrs ?) on his 17th birthday. Can't sign longer contract until 18th birthday. There is a 5 year contract for then. Either way he is a contracted professional with the club and he is going nowhere until Cortese agrees.

That changes things if that's the case.

Then you're into the same thing as Oxo. How much does the player want to leave and how much can the Chairman get. Oxo adjitated to leave. Did interviews etc, and he got his way.

Watch this space

That changes things if that's the case.

Then you're into the same thing as Oxo. How much does the player want to leave and how much can the Chairman get. Oxo adjitated to leave. Did interviews etc, and he got his way.

Watch this space

We were a newly promoted Div 1 club ostensibly expecting a consolidation season in the Championship, not an ambitious Premier club with money to spend and a regular starting place in the Premier. AOC has a way to go to achieve that yet. Any of the clubs will have to pretty much double AOCs fee to buy a regular Premier starter tipped to be England's left back for many years. Most of it up front. Best of luck negotiating with Cortese. In any event none of those teams can offer him the left back slot now. Saints know he will be worth a hell of a lot more in a couple of years especially if he nails down the international place.

If Shaw leaves, he's a pillock. I didn't really hold it against Theo, Bale, Oxo etc. They were leaving to play PL football, possibly not straight away, but they'd have exposure to PL football which at the end of the day is what they wanted.

Shaw has that, he's a regular in the premier league. Why would he throw that away to become a bench player? There's no way he would be first choice at either side, and he'd go the same way as the likes of Rodwell and Sinclair. From his point of view it would be sheer stupidity and purely money driven, and his career would stall for no reason at all.

It would pretty much confirm that no matter what position we're in, we simply will never, ever be able to keep our best players. (Cue MLG...)

Provided we are in the Premier we will be able to get a hell of a lot of money in return. Not having to sell and offering regular Premier football could well postpone the inevitable. In the lower divisions it was impossible.

If Shaw leaves, he's a pillock. I didn't really hold it against Theo, Bale, Oxo etc. They were leaving to play PL football, possibly not straight away, but they'd have exposure to PL football which at the end of the day is what they wanted.

PL football is not the be all and end all mate. Clearly the current set up under Pochettino is not working in his favour. IMO since Adkins left his performances have been dwindling. Certainly not living up to all the hype. The lad's looking for a new challenge, a style of play more suited to his abilities, a new beginning. I wouldn't hold it against him at all.

Shaw has that, he's a regular in the premier league. Why would he throw that away to become a bench player? There's no way he would be first choice at either side, and he'd go the same way as the likes of Rodwell and Sinclair. From his point of view it would be sheer stupidity and purely money driven, and his career would stall for no reason at all

He is far, far, far, FAR more likely to get an England cap at Chelsea or wherever he ends up, and at such a young age to boot. Call it bench warming all you like but to say the boy's career will simply stall is b*llocks. He is good enough to be first choice anywhere IMO. More exposure, more money, more trophies etc. how can you blame him?

It would pretty much confirm that no matter what position we're in, we simply will never, ever be able to keep our best players. (Cue MLG...)

err, 14th place in the league?? "no matter what position we're in" is a bit of a stretch, non? We're hardly in a great position at the moment with all the chaos surrounding those in charge and future plans...throw in the fact we finished the season with a whimper and as uninspiring as ever, I find it quite incredible someone as intelligent as yourself thinks selling Shaw means what I highlighted in the quote.

AFAIC, £15m for a 17 year old? I'd bite your hand off.

He's been spotted in London

On way to secret meeting with Mou no doubt

on that subject: Mourinho might bring Fabio Coentrao with him to Chelsea so why would he want anything to do with a 17 year old that he knows nothing whatsover about ? Think you can rule Chelsea out.

AFAIC, £15m for a 17 year old? I'd bite your hand off.

Thats why we're all glad your chief troll around here and not running a football club.

But you're right, its chaos. Cortese has started a small fire in the dressing room to prove a point and Poch has accidently been learning Norwegian. I'd take half a pack of hobnobs for Shaw before his value is truly tainted!

We all want him to stay but every player has his price and clubs like Chelsea and Man Utd would turn any 17 y.o's head around.

I just hope he gets honest advice that has his best interests at heart, he's got lots of time for clubs like that after he's spent a few years learning his trade here.

Not saying he will go now but if he did I wouldn't be surprised.

He will leave us eventually, unless we miraculously make the step up to the Champions League, but I don't think it will be for a couple of years at least. The way the club is run now is very different to past regimes; I believe there is now conviction to back up the big talk.

But when the time comes, I think it will take a significant deal for the club to sell. Considering we sold L1-tested Chamberlain for £15m, I think we would be expecting a similar amount if not more for Shaw (as defenders usually go for less). To be honest, though, I am more impressed by Shaw than I ever was by Walcott, Bale or Chamberlain - he just has so much natural composure and intelligence, not to mention his physical attributes at only 17.