The Luke Shaw Rumour thread

Saint Garrett

If we don't need the money and he doesmt want to leave, keep him. Yes 30m is ridiculous money but so was 80m for Bale, and now Spurs are weaker.

Not just weaker but fundamentally, irrecoverably weaker (at least for the forseeable future) and as such, just as accepting even 30m for Shaw would be unless we could get a replacement for that money who was better (and I cant see that), for Spurs selling Bale for that fee was very very bad business indeed.

Not just weaker but fundamentally, irrecoverably weaker (at least for the forseeable future) and as such, just as accepting even 30m for Shaw would be unless we could get a replacement for that money who was better (and I cant see that), for Spurs selling Bale for that fee was very very bad business indeed.

it really wasnt.

• 5 weeks later...
This shall be a true statement of intent, keeping a young player with enormous potential, a club he supports and the offer of an awful lot of money. The first real test of Cortese's will against the big boys.

Just as with Lowe before him it will be completely out of his hands. If the player wants the move it will happen. Other than paying him more than Chelsea what exactly can a chairman do?

It won't happen in this window, but the summer will be a different story with evra and cole on their way.

Edited by Chez

Shaw will most likely go in the summer for a load of cash and good luck to him.

This, tbh its neither fair nor right to try and stop players bettering themselves by playing champions league plus the increased wages. If we say got an offer of 20m plus Bertrand and a good loan player from Chelsea (De Bruyne) then IF Shaw wants to go the club shouldn't stand in his way. Nothing to do with Cortese trying to be a hard man. We are what we are

This, tbh its neither fair nor right to try and stop players bettering themselves by playing champions league plus the increased wages. If we say got an offer of 20m plus Bertrand and a good loan player from Chelsea (De Bruyne) then IF Shaw wants to go the club shouldn't stand in his way. Nothing to do with Cortese trying to be a hard man. We are what we are

My concern would be getting some slow or past it left back to replace him like we did when le Saux came in for bridge. At first glance we appeared to have filled the slot with experience, but the reality was that we had taken a huge backwards step.

AlwaysSFC only wants facts, the fact is if he only wants facts then coming onto a football football in the transfer window is going to disappoint him immensely................

Ooh you are so controversal with your posts, or is it fungal.

AlwaysSFC only wants facts, the fact is if he only wants facts then coming onto a football football in the transfer window is going to disappoint him immensely................

Rumours are all good but to post them as facts as is your trait is bit daft...

I like this football forum but it could be better place if you and others posted without an agenda....tell me why do you have an agenda against NC

Rumours are all good but to post them as facts as is your trait is bit daft...

I like this football forum but it could be better place if you and others posted without an agenda....tell me why do you have an agenda against NC

I dont I simply dont believe the man and what he says.

Not sure we would settle for such a pittance. Cortese is known for getting good deals, so if this does happen you can be sure we'll be getting upwards of £15m.

Not fussed about Bertrand, Chelsea don't feel he's good enough for them which is why they want Shaw, so I don't particularly think he's a good enough replacement.

Either way, nothing is going to happen.

besides all the above comments....whoever floated this story has gravely under-rated valuations.

Bertrand - Age 24 already, but has only played 30-odd times for Chelsea ...and 100+ games out on loan-outs to clubs at a much lower level.

Bertrand for Shaw plus £8 million.? that's a joke...... How much do they think Bertrand is valued at ?... with that sort of playing record I'd say.... £5 million tops !

The previous stories (and I use the word adviseably). it's been Man.U, Chelsea and Tottenham who were interested....and sums between £20-£30 million were mentioned....

Even my maths can't figure that one out.

Edited by david in sweden

Wouldn't say no to Bertrand if Shaw really does want to go but I would expect 15 million plus to accompany him! Much like Le Saux he would fill the slot well in the short term and stop us getting ripped off for a replacement. I thought le Saux was pretty solid for us remember him giving Ronaldo a good clattering early on against man utd.

Don't think he will go this window though maybe in the summer, will wish the lad well and track his progress.

Ooh here we go again. Man City now apparently in the hunt.

'Could Shaw become the world's most expensive full-back? City set to break Alves' record and pay £30m for young Saint'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2537848/Could-Shaw-worth-Alves-City-set-break-world-record-fee-pay-30m-18-year-old-Saint.html

At £30M it's a no brainer - sell him! Yes he's a great prospect but by no means a "worldie" by a long way, and who knows if he will indeed fulfil his true potential? For £30M you could get 2 to 3 outstanding additions to the teamicon6.png

Would rather he went to City then Chelsea but don't want him to go anywhere. However must be a LB in La liga that MP knows that we could get as able replacement.

The Jan transfer window is killing the press and SSN with so little activity so don't give this any more credibility than the rest but £30 mill.

30m is a lot of cash - but think it's just another paper talk. What I do like is that Luke himself has come out and said he wants to stay here, good lad, just makes the transfer fee go up and up and up - contracted to 2018 as well . If he does decide to leave , just a huge thanks to getting that massive deal for the club - just think 30m we could by 15 Pompeys lock stock and barrel ...

£30m. At last the press have got up to speed as to how good this guy is and how much teams are going to need to bid to prise him from us. For me I wouldn't let him go for anything less than that. It may seem like a fortune for a left back, but if you consider him as our whole left side including both defence and attack the amount is less ridiculous.

30million is a ton of money, can't help but think City will ruin Shaw though.

Why would city ruin Shaw? If he's the world beater everyone says he is he'll walk into the team and hold his own, he'll only be ruined if not good enough for the team and they replace him with someone better. We would have to be mental not to accept 30m but I'm assuming it's something like 10m up front and the rest when certain criteria is met.

30million is a ton of money, can't help but think City will ruin Shaw though.

Why would city ruin Shaw? If he's the world beater everyone says he is he'll walk into the team and hold his own, he'll only be ruined if not good enough for the team and they replace him with someone better. We would have to be mental not to accept 30m but I'm assuming it's something like 10m up front and the rest when certain criteria is met.

30million is a ton of money.

It is but players like lamela, willian and fernandinhio are going for that kind of money. Is shaw any less effective than those guys? Does shaw offer any less potential? Is he any less certain to hit the ground running? In today's market that price seems right to me. I dread to think how much worse we will be if he goes. When bridge and especially bale left we went backwards massively.

Much as I love Shaw and hope we can rebuff this bid for the message it sends that we are still a feeder club to the biggies via our academy, £30m is a lot of money to turn down. Should be invested in back up keeper and left back, maybe a CB on loan too.

30 million has to be accepted especially due to how many games he's actually available for. However I think we would waste that 30 million on poor, serie A players. Imagine we sold Shaw and bought Gaston and osvaldo with it. Massive wasted opportunity.

what about we picked up a top LB from the NPC? that cresswell chap is meant to be very good

clyne looks excellent and he cost £2m quid

Much as I love Shaw and hope we can rebuff this bid for the message it sends that we are still a feeder club to the biggies via our academy, £30m is a lot of money to turn down. Should be invested in back up keeper and left back, maybe a CB on loan too.

The only problem is finding them. Why else would Citeh be offering megabucks for him?

I'd be gutted if he left, more so than I was when Bale went (without the benefit of hindsight, obviously.)

I wouldn't want him to go, even if somebody did pay £30mil for him. Finding a replacement could be a challenge anyway, even if we did spend that all on a new LB... but either way, I don't think we need the extra money from selling. We don't need to be a selling club any more - we've got plenty of cash.

If Cortese is serious about us challenging for Europe, then he'll hang on to our best players no matter what's on the table.

With or without £30m from the notional sale of Shaw, we should not be looking at 'back up' GK's , CB's etc but players to improve the team not just deepen the squad.

I wouldn't want him to go, even if somebody did pay £30mil for him. Finding a replacement could be a challenge anyway, even if we did spend that all on a new LB... but either way, I don't think we need the extra money from selling. We don't need to be a selling club any more - we've got plenty of cash.

If Cortese is serious about us challenging for Europe, then he'll hang on to our best players no matter what's on the table.

What if Real offer us 100m for him? Would you still not sell? We can buy 4 players of his level with this money.

With or without £30m from the notional sale of Shaw, we should not be looking at 'back up' GK's , CB's etc but players to improve the team not just deepen the squad.

You did see the five or six games previous to Boruc coming back, didn't you? Do you think we have good strength in depth?

Ffs this is team building for the future around homegrown youngsters that does not even need £30m. If we want to strengthen by spending £30m we do not need to sell to do that. Why would you even consider selling one of your top players who relatively recently committed himself to the club??

You did see the five or six games previous to Boruc coming back, didn't you? Do you think we have good strength in depth?

No we don't. But we should be looking at a GK that is an improvement on Boruc, (just as we 'upgraded' on Cork even though many last season - myself included- did not think this was a position to strengthen),not someone to sit on the bench.