The Luke Shaw Rumour thread

Saint Garrett

Tancredi Palmeri ‏@tancredipalmeri 1m

Real Madrid held contacts in last week for Southampton's Shaw, according to Sky Italy

Tancredi Palmeri ‏@tancredipalmeri 54s

Chelsea had contacts with Southampton's Shaw's agents in last days, according to Sky Italy

Palmeri is about as reliable as Alex Crook.

He's 25 and will be 26 when the transfer window opens in the summer, can he really be labelled as a young starlet still? :D

Gianluca Di Marzio ‏@DiMarzio 2m

@StephenKavanag1 @realmadrid @SouthamptonFC @chelseafc in Italy we say young at 25, sorry but we are old...

I thought Di Marizio was regarded as reasonably clued up?

Can't see Chelsea going in for Lallana though, don't see that fitting at all.

He does have a very good reputation for accuracy. Saying that, I wonder if Lallana is the sort of player they need when they already have players like Hazard, Willian, Oscar. Think one or two of the big clubs will try for Lallana, but if we are selling Shaw I would hope they would be sent packing. Losing our two prize assets in one transfer window would send a very poor message to the fans, the rest of the team and to any decent players that we may hope to bring in using the money raised.

Feels like the new Board are on a hiding to nothing this summer. If we keep the players we've got I can't see too many coming in at all, but if a few leave people will instantly think Cortese would have never sold them when the truth is that we could never know.

A lot of pressure is slowly building up for the summer now and I don't really like it.

Shaw will go in the Summer, will get a massive payday (and fairplay to him), we will get £30m plus any money for Osvaldo, plus potentially a bit more put in by the board meaning we'll have £50m odd to spend on strengthening the squad. I for one will be happy with that.

Any news on how Matty Targett is getting on as he was meant to be pretty mustard at one point.

He does have a very good reputation for accuracy. Saying that, I wonder if Lallana is the sort of player they need when they already have players like Hazard, Willian, Oscar. Think one or two of the big clubs will try for Lallana, but if we are selling Shaw I would hope they would be sent packing. Losing our two prize assets in one transfer window would send a very poor message to the fans, the rest of the team and to any decent players that we may hope to bring in using the money raised.

I can't see Lallana meeting any immediate needs at the big clubs -with the exception of Liverpool.

Arsenal have the likes of Ozil, Carzorla, Rosicky which is part of their problem, though Lallana is more hardworking and defensively alert. They probably need another striker, a pacier option and a combative CM.

Man U have just signed Mata and will probably be addressing their defense and central midfield. If they bring an attacker in, it'll probably be someone to challenge Welbeck/replace Young.

Chelsea are largely about power and pace -perhaps Oscar will go to PSG but the likes of Salah are already gathering dust on the bench. Lallana doesn't strike me as a Mourinho-type player. Assume the priority will be a striker.

City are City.

I can't see Lallana meeting any immediate needs at the big clubs -with the exception of Liverpool.

Arsenal have the likes of Ozil, Carzorla, Rosicky which is part of their problem, though Lallana is more hardworking and defensively alert. They probably need another striker, a pacier option and a combative CM.

Man U have just signed Mata and will probably be addressing their defense and central midfield. If they bring an attacker in, it'll probably be someone to challenge Welbeck/replace Young.

Chelsea are largely about power and pace -perhaps Oscar will go to PSG but the likes of Salah are already gathering dust on the bench. Lallana doesn't strike me as a Mourinho-type player. Assume the priority will be a striker.

City are City.

Pretty much this.

Although Lallana would add to their squad, he wouldnt be guarenteed to play every week.

It will all boil down to what Luke wants to do, it's pretty obvious that there are going to be some big money bids for him this summer and if he wants to go then he will go and good luck to him a football players career can be cruely short so he should earn as much money as he can and give himself the best chance of honours. I would like to see the club insist he hands in a transfer request so he waives any loyalty bonus or share of the fee like Wayne Bridge did.

I think the same holds true fro Adam but I don't expect so many bids unless he has a stellar world cup as he is that bit older and while a great player for us has some obvious weaknesses in his game that will be more exposed at a higher level.

I thought Di Marizio was regarded as reasonably clued up?

Can't see Chelsea going in for Lallana though, don't see that fitting at all.

Desailly was giving us his reflexions on the Manchester derby yesterday evening, among his pearls of wisdom was that Mourinho (who talks to Desailly) junked Mata because of his lack of pace. Is Adam any quicker really ? Then again home grown is home grown and Chelsea are desperate for some.

Down to you whether you believe me or not but... shaw and his family would prefer a move to united. So i think this is probably true

Very disappointing if he feels he needs to move this summer. Really thought we could have got another year from him.

It will all boil down to what Luke wants to do, it's pretty obvious that there are going to be some big money bids for him this summer and if he wants to go then he will go and good luck to him a football players career can be cruely short so he should earn as much money as he can and give himself the best chance of honours. I would like to see the club insist he hands in a transfer request so he waives any loyalty bonus or share of the fee like Wayne Bridge did.

I think the same holds true fro Adam but I don't expect so many bids unless he has a stellar world cup as he is that bit older and while a great player for us has some obvious weaknesses in his game that will be more exposed at a higher level.

??? Please elaborate

• 2 weeks later...

I believe Shaw stayed up in Manchester on Saturday night whilst rest of the squad flew back after the game judging by some tweets me made. I know his parents were at the game which is normal but perhaps they all met up with someone from one of the Manchester clubs? I know in the past he hasn't always traveled back with squad when playing in London as he would go straight home with his parents but this seems a bit odd.

Stop Press! Stevie G in a transfer tussle between Leyton Orient and Brentford: With Brentford having the edge due to them sitting tidily in the automatic promotion slots.

In other news, Luke Shaw linked with Bury FC after staying in Ramsbottom for the weekend after the Manchester City game, sources close to Shaw claim the youngster was mightily impressed with the way the Shakers battered the Saints 4-0 in the 1900 FA Cup final.

Mike Riley calls for the FA to give match officials translators to identify when foreign managers swear at them in their native tongue.

At the end of the day there is very little we as fans can do about all this cobblers, as frustrating as it may be.

• 3 weeks later...

The fact that Jamie Jackson is breaking this story suggests it is pretty much a done deal, unfortunately.

Business wise it is great. £30m for a player, who regardless of his talent and vast potential, is not currently as important to us as the likes Lallana, J-Rod, Schneiderlin, Lambert, Lovren.

Plus we have a pretty good track-record of producing left backs.

What message it sends out to our current players and Poch is the real worry. All that money will need re-investing in the squad and Poch will need signing up ASAP to ensure there is not a mass exodus.

I hope this means we don't have to sell anyone else, but fear that it will have the opposite effect.

Edited by Toon Saint

God, £100,000 a week is a gross amount of money to be paying a teenager. You have to worry that half the agents who work with talented young lads would be able to point to that and demand more from clubs.

Looks like it will probably go ahead though. A terrible shame but a very good price that we're commanding.

Edited by DuncanRG

The merits of any deal depend on the replacement in his position. Seamus Coleman cost 60k, while Michael Ball cost rangers nearly seven million pounds.

Yeah. Money couldn't buy us anyone as good as Shaw, but I think most fans would be reasonably content if we could get someone at around Clyne's level to play left back. Depending on how much of the £30m would go on a replacement (not more than £8-10m, you'd assume) we might get someone better.

The biggest concern for the team would be the effect on morale among Shaw's peers. Pochettino (and potentially others) would have to handle that very carefully, but we can definitely survive one departure from that academy group.

Edited by DuncanRG

The story looks as though it has legs unfortunately but we will see. Man U is a total mess at the moment with managers NOT wanting to go there

Fair to say it's still one of the best jobs in world football. I bet more managers want to replace Moyes than wanted to replace Ferguson!

The language from United in that article is very strong - 'convinced', 'virtually complete' etc. You can't imagine Luke turning that offer down, so any barriers are likely to be put up by the club. It might be that the United source(s) are convinced because Southampton surely can't turn £30m down, not because we've indicated we'll accept it. May also have been planted to put pressure on us when negotiations get rolling - if Shaw and his people hears there's £100k a week in it for him he might start to start pushing for it himself. Wrong to assume it's all over but it's definitely leaning that way now.

Sounds a load of ******** to me, the only difference to previous reports is that they've made up a fictional wage this time too.

The Guardian really aren't in that business. Broadsheet reporters break their backs to stand things like this up, especially when the language is that assertive.

Edited by DuncanRG

Wrong to assume it's all over but it's really starting to lean that way.

You may well be right, and I wouldn't be surprised if he did go.

It's still worth remembering that papers have him definitely sold In pretty much every window since before he broke into the team.

He'll most likely go at some stage, and it'll be a big loss. It may well be this summer, I'm still not convinced it is a dead cert yet though, IMO of course.

The Guardian really aren't in that business. Broadsheet reporters break their backs to stand things like this up, especially when the language is that assertive.

It's certainly pretty impressive they've managed to get an exclusive on Saints accepting an offer then allowing United to enter into contract talks to be able to offer him 100k a week. Either that or it's complete rubbish put out by United to keep their fans temporarily happy after sacking their manager and having their worst season in recent history.

Jesus, £100k a week? We can't compete anywhere near that IMO. Crazy money. I know for a fact he wants to stay and was told he wasn't for sale by the club, however £30m + £100k a week will be hard to turn around for a 18yr old kid, however I reckon he'll be worth £50m in 3-4 years. Still think there's a chance he'll stay a little longer though, no denying huge fee or not it will be a blow to the make up of the side and our Academy project. Maybe Martin Samuel was right after all?

Even at £30 and all the records that fee will break, United will have a bargain if he stays there for 10 years ala Rooney btw.

It's certainly pretty impressive they've managed to get an exclusive on Saints accepting an offer then allowing United to enter into contract talks to be able to offer him 100k a week. Either that or it's complete rubbish put out by United to keep their fans temporarily happy after sacking their manager and having their worst season in recent history.

Note that it's reported they will offer Shaw a five year deal, not that they have. That kind of whispering is done through agents and other representatives now, as are other bits of relevant information like Evra's intention to stay at United. It basically amounts to tapping up but it's what happens. We all knew how much Gareth Bale was going to be getting before Real Madrid accepted a bid, for example. Interestingly, that information is sometimes put across to the player by planting stories in the press. It's entirely possible that Shaw might find out how much they'll offer him from that story. What is certainly true is that the Guardian won't have made the figure up, and when it's been put to them they'll try to corroborate sources and stand it up. Tabloids like the Sun, Mirror, Star etc are more likely to put the information they're given in the paper without much scrutiny.

The placating fans theory is an option but risks a backlash if/when it doesn't happen. Suppose they can cover for that when they give the new manager and first big signing a song and dance though.

Edited by DuncanRG

Note that it's reported they will offer Shaw a five year deal, not that they have. That kind of whispering is done through agents and other representatives now, as are other bits of relevant information like Evra's intention to stay at United. It basically amounts to tapping up but it's what happens. We all knew how much Gareth Bale was going to be getting before Real Madrid accepted a bid, for example. Interestingly, that information is sometimes put across to the player by planting stories in the press. It's entirely possible that Shaw might find out how much they'll offer him from that story. What is certainly true is that the Guardian won't have made the figure up, and when it's been put to them they'll try to corroborate sources and stand it up. Tabloids like the Sun, Mirror, Star etc are more likely to put the information they're given in the paper without much scrutiny.

The placating fans theory is an option but risks a backlash if/when it doesn't happen. Suppose they can cover for that when they give the new manager and first big signing a song and dance though.

It may well be true that United may offer it, but in that case the article is jumping the gun just a tad in assuming their offer would be accepted by either party. It's no coincidence it's coming out the day after Moyes was sacked, it just seems like some pie in the sky b*llocks put out by United to keep their fans happy. Shaw can get silly money from Chelsea, he's absolutely no reason to go to a sinking ship like United.

It may well be true that United may offer it, but in that case the article is jumping the gun just a tad in assuming their offer would be accepted by either party. It's no coincidence it's coming out the day after Moyes was sacked, it just seems like some pie in the sky b*llocks put out by United to keep their fans happy. Shaw can get silly money from Chelsea, he's absolutely no reason to go to a sinking ship like United.

You're right that the story would be more rounded with a Southampton perspective, though it does say that we are demanding £30m. Previous Guardian articles have referenced our desire and ability to hold onto players, but Jamie Jackson is their Manchester football correspondent so he's going to have contacts at United and may not have been able to get a line from Saints. If the paper had the time or resources to assign a second reporter (someone with Saints contacts, like Dominic Fifield) to the story then they might have written something which incorporates both sides. Sadly, that's not often how it works, but the story is pretty transparent. It makes clear that it's reporting the United perspective.

The bulk of that story has clearly come from people at United; all I'm saying is that the Guardian won't have printed it without standing it up. They're wise to the possible motives of people who supply information to the press and take decisions on what to publish with that in mind.

Edited by DuncanRG

There's a chance he could stay, but assuming he does go - and he's our only major departure, who will replace him? Targett will step up in pre-season but whether he's good enough to fill Shaw's boots remains to be seen. Ricardo Rodriguez of Wolfsburg is a good young talent, imagine that- 2 "Rodriguezes" down the left wing :lol:

Like everyone I hope he does stay but its looking increasingly likely he'll go but at £100k a week who could blame him?!