Summer 2013 HCDAJFU / Transfer thread

Glasgow_Saint

Thought the idea was Maya, Forren or Lovren could cover there... (same with the RB with Maya and Chambers)

Or we swap into a more european formation with 3 at the back and then play wingers who track all the way back.

I don't fancy seeing centre backs covering at full back much. Once in a blue moon against long ball experts maybe, but if Clyne or Shaw got injured?

I don't fancy seeing centre backs covering at full back much. Once in a blue moon against long ball experts maybe, but if Clyne or Shaw got injured?

It's happened a few times and we still have fox, long term injury to clyne would be a disaster for the squad as we play well with the bombing it forward full back role, it'll just be hard to find a rb who'll be back up to clyne next season (hence why I think we'll try 3 at the back and play a different style of formation)

It's happened a few times and we still have fox, long term injury to clyne would be a disaster for the squad as we play well with the bombing it forward full back role, it'll just be hard to find a rb who'll be back up to clyne next season (hence why I think we'll try 3 at the back and play a different style of formation)

How does that solve the problem of what happens if Clyne gets injured? You'd still need a right wing back.

I doubt we'll change from 4-2-3-1 as the main formation, they are using it throughout the youth teams for ease of transition once they reach the 1st team.

How does that solve the problem of what happens if Clyne gets injured? You'd still need a right wing back.

I doubt we'll change from 4-2-3-1 as the main formation, they are using it throughout the youth teams for ease of transition once they reach the 1st team.

Youth team played a balanced 4-4-2 most of last season?

I thought the magic plan was get who ever plays left/right mid field to track back into wing back territory and take the defensive midfield positions to head out there to provide support instead of having to necessarily play full backs...

On reflection I think this might have been a bit of an odd dream I was having and I'm selling it like the Richardson front sweeper formation :D

Absolutely delighted by the seemingly imminent signing of Wanyama...really think he will make a massive difference to our midfield and bring a lot of qualities to our team...top top signing

Can't help feeling we are still too weak in defence however...Lovren looks good, Yoshida is a good squad player...Forren is a massive unknown and Fonte and Hoiveld are poor and not good enough.

Norwich are pushing for Toby Alderweild from Ajax...he would be fantastic for us and alongside Lovren really turn our weakness last season into a strength.

Would really like to see a pacey winger, top drawer striker and a full back cover to finish things off

Absolutely delighted by the seemingly imminent signing of Wanyama...really think he will make a massive difference to our midfield and bring a lot of qualities to our team...top top signing

Can't help feeling we are still too weak in defence however...Lovren looks good, Yoshida is a good squad player...Forren is a massive unknown and Fonte and Hoiveld are poor and not good enough.

Norwich are pushing for Toby Alderweild from Ajax...he would be fantastic for us and alongside Lovren really turn our weakness last season into a strength.

Would really like to see a pacey winger, top drawer striker and a full back cover to finish things off

Good post - you sure youre on the right forum? ...lets hope NC has those last few pieces of the jigsaw about to come together

Chambers plays for England U21s right back doesn't he and for the development squad. I think he'll be the next academy player to step up.

England U19's, but yeah, think you are right here. As has been said on here before, no point signing two experienced players to come in and play second-fiddle to an 18 and a 22 year old. Poch has got a great record at Espanyol of bringing the young'uns through so fully expect us to utilise Targett and Chambers as back-up full backs next season (Targett's game time might be impacted by whether we sell Fox or not, of course).

If Cortese want's to achieve his target of 50% of the first team coming through the academy then there would be no point in shelling out millions on back-up players, and halting the progress of youth team players. In addition to Lovren and Wanyama, I think it will be a case of one winger and one striker and then business done. :smug:

Think he played a lot of last season in centre mid. Started on the bench last night. Few signs he'd be ready yet for doing a job in the Prem.

Were there any with Shaw, I remember loads of people here stating there was now way he was ready, yet look at him now. You'll never know unless you give them a go.

Our policy is to being through youngsters into the first team squad. There is no point going out and buying a back up right back without giving some of our younger players a chance.

Our money needs to be spent on improving the squad wherever we can which means buying better than we have, we don't don;t have Man City millions to waste on players who barely get a game. Reserves and back up players are better of coming from the youth ranks. Chambers has shown he can play a variety of positions, and is getting international recognition so i think he'd be useful to have in the squad. If we start getting into Europe then maybe we would need a bigger squad with more depth but I'd prefer a better first eleven as the priority.

Edited by tajjuk

England U19's, but yeah, think you are right here. As has been said on here before, no point signing two experienced players to come in and play second-fiddle to an 18 and a 22 year old. Poch has got a great record at Espanyol of bringing the young'uns through so fully expect us to utilise Targett and Chambers as back-up full backs next season (Targett's game time might be impacted by whether we sell Fox or not, of course).

If Cortese want's to achieve his target of 50% of the first team coming through the academy then there would be no point in shelling out millions on back-up players, and halting the progress of youth team players. In addition to Lovren and Wanyama, I think it will be a case of one winger and one striker and then business done. :smug:

Hoorah! someone who took notes in class,those that didn't, have us buying everything on two legs that can kick a ball, and some that can't. I would suggest that four academy players will be promoted this season, with two more signings in addition to Lovren and Wanyama.

Look who it is on Twitter - Javi!

@javierigeno: El viernes el Southampton FC hará el fichaje más importante de los últimos años. Ni Manchester City ni Chelsea lo conseguirán. Atentos.

@javierigeno: La "visión" de Nicola Cortese empieza a dar sus frutos una vez que se le dejó trabajar, incluso con decisiones impopulares ahora acertadas.

-------------

@ Javierigeno: On Friday, Southampton FC will make the most important signing of recent years. Manchester City or Chelsea not succeed. Attentive.

@ Javierigeno: The "vision" of Nicola Cortese begins to bear fruit after he left work, even unpopular decisions now correct.

NC, MP & TC had 30+ transfer targets - from this they wanted 4 players in (and 9 out)

Ins: One CB (done) One CM (almost done) One striker (outstanding) and one winger (outstanding)

We have been ambitious but we have shown some naivety in the market - NC has admitted this privately.

NC, MP & TC had 30+ transfer targets - from this they wanted 4 players in (and 9 out)

Ins: One CB (done) One CM (almost done) One striker (outstanding) and one winger (outstanding)

We have been ambitious but we have shown some naivety in the market - NC has admitted this privately.

Via PM?

@javierigeno: El viernes el Southampton FC hará el fichaje más importante de los últimos años. Ni Manchester City ni Chelsea lo conseguirán. Atentos.

@javierigeno: La "visión" de Nicola Cortese empieza a dar sus frutos una vez que se le dejó trabajar, incluso con decisiones impopulares ahora acertadas.

-------------

@ Javierigeno: On Friday, Southampton FC will make the most important signing of recent years. Manchester City or Chelsea not succeed. Attentive.

@ Javierigeno: The "vision" of Nicola Cortese begins to bear fruit after he left work, even unpopular decisions now correct.

That the same Javi who used to terrorise Saints Forever saying it was just a matter of time for us to sign Javier De Pedro? :facepalm:

Were there any with Shaw, I remember loads of people here stating there was now way he was ready, yet look at him now. You'll never know unless you give them a go.

Our policy is to being through youngsters into the first team squad. There is no point going out and buying a back up right back without giving some of our younger players a chance.

Our money needs to be spent on improving the squad wherever we can which means buying better than we have, we don't don;t have Man City millions to waste on players who barely get a game. Reserves and back up players are better of coming from the youth ranks. Chambers has shown he can play a variety of positions, and is getting international recognition so i think he'd be useful to have in the squad. If we start getting into Europe then maybe we would need a bigger squad with more depth but I'd prefer a better first eleven as the priority.

As I say, I'd have kept Richardson on. If Chambers is good enough, he can force his way past the competition the same way Shaw has.

Why though? He was behind Yoshida in the pecking order for RB towards the end of the season...
If Clyne was out injured for a sustained period of time next season, I would rather have Richardson at right back, than Chambers or Yoshida, as I think he is a better right back than either of them. Moot point, now he's gone, but it does leave us potentially weak in that position. Edited by Sour Mash

If Clyne was out injured for a sustained period of time next season, I would rather have Richardson at right back, than Chambers or Yoshida, as I think he is a better right back than either of them. Mute point, now he's gone, but it does leave us potentially weak in that position.

You've said this your entire life haven't you? :lol:

Really like what Norwich are doing...£5mill for Fer is a steal and £2.5 mill for Olsson from Blackburn who can play left back and left midfield...surely we should be looking at this position??

Also looks like Aldervield is in Norwich at a bargain price...that would be 3 Dutch Internationals...

Anyone else not worried about cover at full backs and a partner for Lovren??

Norwich doing some fantastic business.

Norwich are really starting to establish a solid side.

I agree with MerceSaints28 - I am worried about full back cover - big time. Fox gets a lot of stick, he's okay for the odd game, but I would hate to see him in the side on a long term basis if Shaw were to pick up an injury.

Matt Collins‏@SkySportsMatt 8m

Southampton have enquired about Olympiakos midfielder David Fuster. #SaintsFC

31 year old Spanish attack midfielder. Not a bad pedigree with Champions League experience. But really at that age it doesn't fit our profile of signings.

Oriol Romeu is set to join Valencia from Chelsea. Banega replacement?

And a couple of English clubs have contacted Valencia about Soldado.

Considering some of the other strikers we've been linked with I wonder if we might be one of them?

Matt Collins‏@SkySportsMatt 8m

Southampton have enquired about Olympiakos midfielder David Fuster. #SaintsFC

31 year old Spanish attack midfielder. Not a bad pedigree with Champions League experience. But really at that age it doesn't fit our profile of signings.

Is this Sky Sports Matt guy a fake? Haven't seen any of the real Sky people refer to it before.

-------------

I think hes probably talking about shaw...... shaw is 18 on Friday and chelsea have tried to sign him.... and failed so makes sense

-------------

that says nor Chelsea or Man city could get him.