Summer 2013 HCDAJFU / Transfer thread

Glasgow_Saint

From one of tomorrow's papers in Spain...

296dc59668f7ec04e0681d48b34ea6c0.png

The character  Ever Banega

Pochettino is about to take him to Southampton

operation seemed utopian to a month ago, when the news broke, but now looks set to become a reality

Mauricio Pochettino is very close to convince his com-patriot Ever Banega to join their project in Southampton. The news of interest to the England squad by taking the services of Argentine midfielder capped the des-ago newspaper 'The Sun'. The financial offer was tempting for Valencia, ten million by the traspa-

your game can help to jump Southampton AC-ability you need to rub shoulders with the greats of the Premier. The Argentine coach has committed in England by the same possession football and used combination in the league and that caught the attention of the directors of Southampton. Banega fit seamlessly into the game plan and it seems that the Argentine and see with better eyes English football option. For Valencia, that ten million remain a proposal to take into account, so that at the time that the player give the nod to the transfer, it will be effective.

In parallel, the Valencia coach Miroslav Djukic-parrot is a very positive

Caparros: "We supply the money

lift Levante's new coach, Gio Joaqu sports management capacity of cl make noise and get what money imagination. Go with the heel of three or four million that has merit is signing players I'm happy with what you get. We need some time the brand r sports management. " ORT satisfied template that have confecc bearing is find people with the letter of release in the profile. In the first week a group working m very bias and football to please his new coach, of course "

so. The player, however, did not seem very receptive. Call at a club in mid-table in the Premier Le-ague not convinced and the matter had overtones of utopia.

The former coach of Espanyol, however, not stopped trying and a month later, the transfer can be a reality. Pochettino co-noce to the characteristics Banega techniques to perfection and is convinced

and that your game can help to give the Southampton-quality jump you need to rub shoulders with the greats of the Premier. The Argentine coach has committed in England by the same possession football and used combination in the league and that caught the attention of the directors of Southampton. Banega fit seamlessly into the game plan and it seems that the Argentine and see with better eyes English football option. For Valencia, that ten million remain a proposal to take into account, so that at the time that the player give the nod to the transfer, it will be effective.

In parallel, the Valencia coach Miroslav Djukic-parrot is a very positive way the arrival of Oriol Romeu, the young midfielder made the ranks at Barça ce arriving as measured by Chelsea to cover the gap left by the departure of Da - vid Albelda. "There comes forward and power and physi-music-fensiva capacity we will go very well," said the Serbian coach, who praised the pre-arrangement of Ro-meu Oriol to call at Month-size: "We know that has made an effort to come here, because I had other offers and we appreciate this. "

I couldn't see Mr Hammond getting an England call up anytime soon however.

And nor can I see our top goalscorer getting one. Of all the arguements you could have had, you went with that one ?

Not that I dont value RL's contributions BTW, just think Poch is going to want a more fluid and dynamic front line and that is vital to get the best out of Ramirez and a new winger.

Plus do you see a new 20m pound striker sat on a bench ? Seems legit

And nor can I see our top goalscorer getting one. Of all the arguements you could have had, you went with that one ?

Not that I dont value RL's contributions BTW, just think Poch is going to want a more fluid and dynamic front line and that is vital to get the best out of Ramirez and a new winger.

Plus do you see a new 20m pound striker sat on a bench ? Seems legit

I was referring to Adam Lallana's England call up, our current captain, in reference to us selling Dean Hammond, our previous captain. No I see Jay Rodriguez being on the bench and Ramirez, Lambert and Lallana playing behind a potential new striker.

I was referring to Adam Lallana's England call up, our current captain, in reference to us selling Dean Hammond, our previous captain. No I see Jay Rodriguez being on the bench and Ramirez, Lambert and Lallana playing behind a potential new striker.

Lallana, yup, but he didnt have the greatest of seasons ladt year, I still fancy him to take the next by storm though.

Can see Lambert behind a front man, but could depend on a new winger etc

Lallana, yup, but he didnt have the greatest of seasons ladt year, I still fancy him to take the next by storm though.

Can see Lambert behind a front man, but could depend on a new winger etc

I'd agree, I'd say he was about on a par with Rodriguez over the course of the season, maybe slightly worse, but he's clearly being promoted as a figurehead at the club so there's zero chance he'll be dropped frequently. I can't see us realistically signing any traditional wingers personally, but Banega looks like he's more than capable of putting in a cross which has been one of our biggest problems in attack, along with set pieces.

Back to the subject...

just listening to the Press Pass on Talksport, and they were talking about Liverpool targets. The Ajax defender Toby Alderweireld was mentioned, and one of the journalists said that they thought Southampton would scupper that as they were interested in him. He then probably blew any credibility by saying Ryan Bertrand wouldn't go to Liverpool either and indicated that some sort of swap with Luke Shaw.

I heard it slightly different , I thought the bloke said that Chelsea wouldn't let Bertrand go to Liverpool because they needed back up for Ashley Cole. Said that they were interested in Shaw as that back up (freeing up Bertrand) but because Shaw signed contract Chelsea missed out and won't let Bertrand move. I maybe wrong as id had a lunch time session, but that is what I thought I heard.

Maybe the bloke is credible.

I heard it slightly different , I thought the bloke said that Chelsea wouldn't let Bertrand go to Liverpool because they needed back up for Ashley Cole. Said that they were interested in Shaw as that back up (freeing up Bertrand) but because Shaw signed contract Chelsea missed out and won't let Bertrand move. I maybe wrong as id had a lunch time session, but that is what I thought I heard.

Maybe the bloke is credible.

That's possible as an outcome, maybe I read the swap deal into it... still he seemed pretty confident in our interest in Alderweireld which I not heard anywhere else before.

Still don't know how people want to sign cover for full backs. Who comes in to be happy in this role? Unless you can get CBs who can also play there it seems like wasted money. Targett isn't far off, Fox isn't as bad as many make out of here, and Lovren can play full back can't he? As can Cork and Chambers? You can't spend a fortune just in case a full back gets a long term injury.

Full back should be our No.1 priority imo, Clyne and Shaw won't play every game and we need someone capable of coming in and doing a good job. Fox is nowhere near PL quality, Targett hasn't been taken to Spain so can't be that close to being ready for the first team, and the likes of Cork, Maya, Chambers would all be playing out of position.

I don't think we necessarily need to spend millions, and although acting as cover, whoever came in would still get plenty of game time. We don't seem too worried about overloading in midfield so I'm not sure why this would be a problem at full back. It is a squad game these days.

Still don't know how people want to sign cover for full backs. Who comes in to be happy in this role? Unless you can get CBs who can also play there it seems like wasted money. Targett isn't far off, Fox isn't as bad as many make out of here, and Lovren can play full back can't he? As can Cork and Chambers? You can't spend a fortune just in case a full back gets a long term injury.

Replace "cover" with "competition" then and there is a valid argument that reinforcement is needed IMO. Obviously we shouldn't be deliberately signing a left back who is worse than Shaw just to sit them on the bench but IMO, we will be in trouble if Shaw misses a lot of games ("trouble", not in the sense of relegated, but we will struggle to get where we want to be).

Our system needs full-backs that are comfortable getting into advanced positions, carrying the ball and running at people, if needed and also have the pace and engine to get up and down quickly.

At RB, Cork is arguably solid cover for Clyne and Chambers seems to be well rated and, having previously been a midfielder, should be comfortable enough getting forwards. Yoshi is clearly not up to playing full-back adequately in our system and I'm surprised people keep suggesting that he is.

So, RB is ok. IMO.

LB, however, is a different story. If Targett was felt to be nearly ready he would be in Spain along with Chambers, Turnbull and Isgrove and not up in Middlesbrough or wherever the others have gone. Fox - well he's ok against a certain type of attacking player, the same way Hooiveld was good against Dzeko but would usually get murdered by Suarez or Rooney, for example - really is not adequate for the type of full-back game we will demand. He doesn't get far enough up the pitch and his defending is too bad. His greatest virtue is that he is by far the best taker of a corner we seem to have (I will be pulling my hair out if we allow Lallana to take them again next season).

In conclusion - if Shaw got a lengthy injury we would struggle to meet our aspirations. And, forgetting lengthy injuries for a second, even a 3 game ban or a small injury could be enough to make the difference between say 8th and 14th at the end of the season. If we are willing and able to pay £20million on a striker then we should also be looking to buy a LB who can compete with Shaw. Shaw is great but he had a few dodgy games last season and we should not be relying on him playing 40 games this season at his age and given the physical demands we will put on our players.

Full back should be our No.1 priority imo, Clyne and Shaw won't play every game and we need someone capable of coming in and doing a good job. Fox is nowhere near PL quality, Targett hasn't been taken to Spain so can't be that close to being ready for the first team, and the likes of Cork, Maya, Chambers would all be playing out of position.

Calum Chambers has been playing right back for Saints under 21's and England under 19's for quite a while now.

and here's the problem. Are people really expecting a RESERVE who can deal with Suarez or Rooney?

Did you read my post? Those were examples of forwards with a contrasting style to Dzeko. It was not a list of players that LB must be able to handle. You also appear to have entirely missed the point about "competition" as opposed to "reserve".

My point was that Fox can handle a certain type of attacker. We could get a LB for a few million much more competent at handling a wider range and giving Shaw some genuine competition.

So, to your answer your question: "not necessarily". But it was a stupid question.

Did you read my post? Those were examples of forwards with a contrasting style to Dzeko. It was not a list of players that LB must be able to handle. You also appear to have entirely missed the point about "competition" as opposed to "reserve".

My point was that Fox can handle a certain type of attacker. We could get a LB for a few million much more competent at handling a wider range and giving Shaw some genuine competition.

So, to your answer your question: "not necessarily". But it was a stupid question.

Think we will struggle to convince a player to sit behind Shaw as, 'competition' aside its obvious to most that he will be first choice and realistically Id have said that was a major part in us getting him to ignore the top four clamour.

That said there are always players out there, whether its a full back getting on a bit etc ? Or a player that is more flexible. Otherwise I agree, RB is sorted but LB is woefully short.

Its not even like you can play a RB at LB as in reality you tend to get your shape all wrong, I suppose if we absolutely desperate Clyne could switch but I wouldnt be comfortable for an extended period

Boruc

Clyne Anderweireld Lovren Shaw

Wanyama Schneiderlin

Stoch Ramirez Rodriguez

New striker

Davis, Fox, Yoshida, Lallana, Lambert, Cork, Mayuka

That'll do !!!

If that were to be our team for next season it would consist of 84 Champions League (including qualifiers) appearances between them. Add Banega to the side and you'd be up to 100. Would be a clear signal of where NC wants to take us if we did end the summer with such a line up. It does look a fantastic team.

Think we will struggle to convince a player to sit behind Shaw as, 'competition' aside its obvious to most that he will be first choice and realistically Id have said that was a major part in us getting him to ignore the top four clamour.

That said there are always players out there, whether its a full back getting on a bit etc ? Or a player that is more flexible. Otherwise I agree, RB is sorted but LB is woefully short.

Its not even like you can play a RB at LB as in reality you tend to get your shape all wrong, I suppose if we absolutely desperate Clyne could switch but I wouldnt be comfortable for an extended period

Clyne is perfectly comfortable playing left back, he did it several times for Palace. Cork is also pretty experienced at right back and with Wanyama we now have more option in the middle should we need to use him there.

The priority is always going to be trying to improve the quality of the first eleven, we are fortunate to have two very good and improving young fullbacks. If they get injuries then the squad will have to deal with it like any team has to deal with losing it's better players to injuries. Yes if one of Shaw or Clyne gets a long term injury the team will be weaker, but the same could be said of Lovren, Boruc, Lambert etc.

We just aren't in the position at the moment to have that much quality in reserve, that will take time. At the end of the day though I'd be annoyed if we say missed out on someone like Damiao because another £3-4 million was needed to seal the deal but we'd spent it on an average left back who will probably only play 5-6 games all year.

If we had European football maybe there is more argument but we'll put kids out in the League Cup, and even if we got to the final of the FA cup that's only another 6 games. So a max of 44 games in season for the first team squad, they should be able to handle that.

If Osvaldo and Damiao are no go's then other options needed.

If I was better looking my bird so i was trying to upgrade to a supermodel but supermodel said no cos I'm not champions league yet, I dunno if I'd settle for like a hollyoaks actress or if I'd save my money & try again with the supermodels once I've had nose job or whatever. It's a quandary! I can only spend my money once yo! I wouldn't want to get Jennifer Metcalfe pregnant and then have Cara Delevingne come back in the summer and be like "yo, I'd of signed up with you now if you hadn't wasted half yo money on Gary Hooper"

Clyne is perfectly comfortable playing left back, he did it several times for Palace. Cork is also pretty experienced at right back and with Wanyama we now have more option in the middle should we need to use him there.

The priority is always going to be trying to improve the quality of the first eleven, we are fortunate to have two very good and improving young fullbacks. If they get injuries then the squad will have to deal with it like any team has to deal with losing it's better players to injuries. Yes if one of Shaw or Clyne gets a long term injury the team will be weaker, but the same could be said of Lovren, Boruc, Lambert etc.

We just aren't in the position at the moment to have that much quality in reserve, that will take time. At the end of the day though I'd be annoyed if we say missed out on someone like Damiao because another £3-4 million was needed to seal the deal but we'd spent it on an average left back who will probably only play 5-6 games all year.

If we had European football maybe there is more argument but we'll put kids out in the League Cup, and even if we got to the final of the FA cup that's only another 6 games. So a max of 44 games in season for the first team squad, they should be able to handle that.

As comfortable that Clyne is there I am still a little dubious of how he will play for extended periods, playing on the opposite flank is often ok now and again but you definately start seeing little errors unless you are 100% happy with both feet and that includes tackling.

As per the 3-4 mil, Im not sure that it would be a deal breaker for a top top signing but certainly if the oppurtunity arose I would be happy we went for it, unless of course Targett is closer then we think to the first 11.

Priority of course was improving first 11 and I honestly dont think top 10 is achieveable without a more mobile frontman and probably a pacy winger.

Cara Delevingne

She has bushier eyebrows than Hooper bear. I reckon she is more like a Balotelli, where everyone knows he is a good player but deep down there is something grossly wrong with her/him. If you pick your timing right, you may be able to pick her up, hooper or not.

As comfortable that Clyne is there I am still a little dubious of how he will play for extended periods, playing on the opposite flank is often ok now and again but you definately start seeing little errors unless you are 100% happy with both feet and that includes tackling.

As per the 3-4 mil, Im not sure that it would be a deal breaker for a top top signing but certainly if the oppurtunity arose I would be happy we went for it, unless of course Targett is closer then we think to the first 11.

Priority of course was improving first 11 and I honestly dont think top 10 is achieveable without a more mobile frontman and probably a pacy winger.

Santon is right footed and plays pretty well left back. Also it gives him the option to come inside and overload the middle rather than more traditional fullback outside overlap, something he did against Villa when we won 4-1. It wouldn't be 100% but then neither would a new back up left back if they are worse than Shaw, unless the guy is old we are probably looking at more than £5 million to find an upgrade on Fox.

Santon is right footed and plays pretty well left back. Also it gives him the option to come inside and overload the middle rather than more traditional fullback outside overlap, something he did against Villa when we won 4-1. It wouldn't be 100% but then neither would a new back up left back if they are worse than Shaw, unless the guy is old we are probably looking at more than £5 million to find an upgrade on Fox.

I get what your saying, and I anticipated the Santon analogy, which is why I said its different for a player who has played the position regularly. I think you know what Im saying though.

My point is if the situation arises itll be silly to ignore it.

K Billy is back from his Holiday, and on here more often than I, so you may have news soon! Apart from the names already mentioned on here, and by Pochettino, I have had no word of any 'under the radar' moves.

But what we have so far isn't bad, is it?

K Billy is back from his Holiday, and on here more often than I, so you may have news soon! Apart from the names already mentioned on here, and by Pochettino, I have had no word of any 'under the radar' moves.

But what we have so far isn't bad, is it?

Thanks for the update pal. Much appreciated.

Of course it's a deal breaker, that's still a lot of money whatever ridiculous fees are thrown about these days.

Do you think Celtic would have sold for £8.5million, £4million less than the fee is rumoured to be?

Of course it's a deal breaker, that's still a lot of money whatever ridiculous fees are thrown about these days.

Do you think Celtic would have sold for £8.5million, £4million less than the fee is rumoured to be?

If we are willing to chuck around 20m for what is IMO a statement of intent Im not entirely sure he is going to quibble over 3-4m

We need to concentrate on getting the best players available...that should be the transfer strategy

If we can get Banega for 9 million euro we take it, because he is a great player and a big upgrade on Davis.

The new TV deal has allowed us, the likes of Norwich and Swansea to be more adventurous/aggresive in the transfer market.

Toby Alderweild is the guy who should be priority 1 also...can play right back and centre back and is genuine international class, as opposed to what we have.

Their is no room for sentiment and keep players like Fonte and Hoiveld...they aren't good enough and if we get the chance to replace them with quality, we should take it.

Will it be Morgan, Wanyama and Banega then? Harsh on Cork but unbelievable midfield. Not sure where it leaves Ramirez if he can't play out wide either.

He can play out wide though?... The wingers are inverted anyway so act more like Attacking midfielders. Shouldn't be a problem to have Banega and Ramirez both in the attacking 3.

Leo Benitez @ benitez_leo 1h

Ever Banega: Valencia would be evaluating an offer from Southampton for 9.4 million euros for the midfielder tab

Please let this be true, would instantly be our best player. A mile better than Ramirez