Summer 2013 HCDAJFU / Transfer thread

Glasgow_Saint

5 points is not a huge gap. Especially when you consider Saints poor start (8 losses, 1 draw, 1 win from opening 10 games), once adapted to the Premier League from November 2012 to May 2013 Saints had a better record than Swansea.

And we did manage to drop 4 points against Swansea for that stupid moment with Gazza/the worlds blindest lino for Lallana's goal...

5 points is not a huge gap. Especially when you consider Saints poor start (8 losses, 1 draw, 1 win from opening 10 games), once adapted to the Premier League from November 2012 to May 2013 Saints had a better record than Swansea.

How do you explain our end of season form which yielded just one more point than our first 6 games with easier matches and when we had the advantage of 'adapting to the premier league' whatever that excuse means.

Edited by Turkish

Forget last season, Swansea have been far more active than us in the transfer window and I fully expect them to finish above us again. You do have to wonder about our negotiation skills, Damiao and Osvaldo deals are clearly dead, now we are being linked with a winger who in recent years had a loan spell with Barnsley! Not exactly the sort of player who will take us to the 'next level'

Forget last season, Swansea have been far more active than us in the transfer window and I fully expect them to finish above us again. You do have to wonder about our negotiation skills, Damiao and Osvaldo deals are clearly dead, now we are being linked with a winger who in recent years had a loan spell with Barnsley! Not exactly the sort of player who will take us to the 'next level'

The Wanyama deal went on for ages, why wouldn't the Damiao and Osvaldo ones? Let's wait and see where we are when the window shuts.

Bergessio or Halfredsson? No thanks, would rather us bide our time or stick with what we have than fritter away the kitty on two ageing journeymen. Would be a bit of a comedown after the names we have been linked with, and doesn't really fit the type of player we have gone for in last couple of transfer windows.

A curious response Guan, suggests something is in it. On the other hand, seriously wanting a player who seems to have never cut it in a top league is not something to smile about.

Merely an indication that we are at an adanced stage of negoiations with the player - I try and reserve full judgement on whether he is the right stuff until he has played!

Merely an indication that we are at an adanced stage of negoiations with the player - I try and reserve full judgement on whether he is the right stuff until he has played!

Fair enough, CV does seem significantly underwhelming for a PL player though.

There is real interest here....... bit worried as he was not on the original target list. :?

another GS exclusive :)

Personally i'm feeling that we've been let down by the club, with only 40 odd days of the transfer window left we've only signed 2 players at £20M and we've not thrown our hats in the ring for Rooney, how do they expect us to be taken seriously? Fans of other clubs must be laughing at us.

There's reports that Villa and Newcastle have expressed interest in Bafetimbi Gomis. Wouldn't say no if we moved in - only one year left on his contract and Lyon are definitely looking to sell. Slightly older than some of the players we've been looking at, though with similar attributes to Lukaku.

Edited by ant

Pretty underwhelmed at Bergesio and Halfredsson...seems like we have dropped about 3 levels of player here

Let's hope it not true

Is that the same Halfredsson that was a youngster at Spurs? If so he used to do me a decent job on FM2006 for Saints when he was usually released at the end of the first season. There, that's my knowledge of him!

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?client=firefox-a&hl=en&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&u=http://www.tuttomercatoweb.com/serie-a/bergessio-felice-di-stare-a-catania-ma-se-devo-partire-lo-faro-467021

Gonzalo Bergessio, who we were linked with a couple of days ago, has spoken about reports linking him with a move.

Bergessio: "Happy to stay in Catania but I will if I have to leave"

"Stay in Catania Yes, I think so. I have a contract to commit. All other items not meant for me and I think they have to talk so much executives that my agent." Gonzalo Bergessio, Catania striker tries to shed light on their future in a press conference: "I want to play football.'m Happy to stay here, but if it happens a few opportunities is evaluated. All we want to improve. If I have to leave, I will leave."

Don't be ridiculous, you'll make no friends round here talking sensible like that!

What were you thinking?

Every other club in the league is snapping up all the best players, what is NC doing?! MP has not got a clue, Gaston out, Jarvis in! Relegation my tiop for this season unless we sign big. Downing from Liverpool?

Insanity restored.

Every other club in the league is snapping up all the best players, what is NC doing?! MP has not got a clue, Gaston out, Jarvis in! Relegation my tiop for this season unless we sign big. Downing from Liverpool?

Insanity restored.

I for one would take Downing at the right price

Liverpool do love to overpay for very average players

Ruin players

Off the back of v good seasons for their respective clubs Liverpool overpaid for Downing, Adam, Carroll, Henderson and then made sure all of them had a very poor season to tarnish their images.

Always thought Downing was decent, good delivery, quick, good shot.

Liverpool love to ruin players. As a kid, I dont know why, but I used to love Nigel Clough. I think it must of been casue I have a football card of him. Anyway, he moved to liverpool and whether it was their fault or his that he bombed there I blamed the club and have hated them ever since.

Liverpool love to ruin players. As a kid, I dont know why, but I used to love Nigel Clough. I think it must of been casue I have a football card of him. Anyway, he moved to liverpool and whether it was their fault or his that he bombed there I blamed the club and have hated them ever since.

I was always a big fan and Julian Dicks and David Burrows, I always felt they could have achieved more if they'd note been unlucky enough to play for Liverpool.

with the arrival of two more strikers at City, worth a punt at Dzeko?...bet he wont get much playing time there and always seems to be among the goals. Thats assuming he would even move to us.

Would cost what we are willing to pay for Osvaldo and Damiao.

He'd surely have to take a pay cut if he goes elsewhere though? He could either sit on 120k and do nothing, or take a cut to play some regular football.

That's probably what'll have to happen, although even with a wage cut he's probably still slightly out of our reach!

^ Dzeko is wanted by Napoli, plus I would reckon Man city want to keep him. He'd also be perfect to replace Levandowski at Dortmund if that transfer sage gets sorted. Plenty of clubs better than us would be after Dzeko.

With the way things are going, we could do a lot worse than Darren Bent. Would imagine he is available for less than 10 million. As good as any other English striker when he's on form, which admitedly he hasn't been for the last two years. Even had a good spell in the England side before that

If we're signing a striker I want it to be someone who is manifestly at a higher level than Rickie and Jay Rod. Bent might still be able to do a good job but personally I would sooner give Jay an opportunity as the central striker.

If we can bring in an Osvaldo, Damiao etc then great. If not, I would go with what we've got.

I think it could be worth our while putting a cheeky bid in for Cisse from Newcastle.

Pa**** Cissé fined for refusing to wear shirt showing Newcastle club sponsor Wonga.

Initial fine of £5,000, rising to £47,987,654,334 if he hasn't paid by Friday.

If we're signing a striker I want it to be someone who is manifestly at a higher level than Rickie and Jay Rod. Bent might still be able to do a good job but personally I would sooner give Jay an opportunity as the central striker.

If we can bring in an Osvaldo, Damiao etc then great. If not, I would go with what we've got.

This.

I was always a big fan and Julian Dicks and David Burrows, I always felt they could have achieved more if they'd note been unlucky enough to play for Liverpool.

Good grief. Julian Dicks? Really??

As an aside, I did a google on him to see what he is up to now and found out he took charge of the Sealand Internatinoal Football Team for a tournament this summer. Where is Sealand I hear you ask. It is a fort off the Suffolk Coast. A micro-nation with a population of 27 so picking national for the international soccer tournament must have been quite challenging. Despite that, they still managed to beat Alderney 2-1. Welcome to the wacky world of Julian Dicks.

Back on topic I hope Liverpool don't go on to ruin Coutinho as is a clearly a talent and although no one ever admitted we were interested, I would have loved to see him at St Marys. Banega is in the same class and will be the icing on the cake for me but more than happy with our dealings to date even if it stops here.

Yep.

If we get another quality AM (Benega etc) then we should stick with our current strikers, unless we can get someone notably better.

You woukd hope J rod will step up, love him as a player but not entirely sure.

Without a decent mobile frontman though I dont think we will reach our target

I'm sure he has been mentioned before but Keisuke Honda is available from Moscow. Right sided attacking midfielder, 27 years old and still a top player - better than what we have and an instant replacement if make the mistake of losing GR. Moscow want 5m, Milan are offering 2m. His wages will be massive though. Cant believe hes not been picked up yet at that price after his good displays in confed cup shows he is still world class.