Summer 2013 HCDAJFU / Transfer thread

Glasgow_Saint

Why would top flight clubs not want a striker who has proven top flight ability like that? At his age he'd be cheap too. I'd think half the league would gladly take him.

I know West Ham would be straight in there if Rickie was available for transfer. Can't see us letting him go though, such a quality player and consistently contributes at every level.

There are not many younger strikers who are already internationals that fit our "optimal" requirement.

I wonder if the next option if we fail to get the first choices is to go for the right age but not got much international experience yet, or go the wrong age but they got international experience? Or some kind of maverick player in-betweeen? I present to you exhibit A: Nicola Bendtner.

I think we may be put in a difficult place with this decision (on a striker that is) because Rickie is already a certain age, Jrod and Mayuka are young, but neither are like Rickie in technical characteristics. If we want another goal poacher we should just keep Billy Sharp- so I don't think we will just go for one of those ( ie a Defoe type player). It pains me to say it as he apparently thinks a lot of himself, and the good news is that we would not pay his wages anyway, but I think Nicolas Bendtner is a realistic option for us up front and has Rickie-like characteristics - good in the air, good shot and probably more mobility at only 25 years old. He has spent over two years now of doing nothing much and was on loan at Juventus who did nothing with him as well...so id guess he needs to make an impact this season big time or risk being totally written off...... He has got EPl experience with Arsenal and Sunderland (8 goals in 30 matches in 2011-12) so who knows- he might need a fresh start and maybe we are the kind of footballing club that could work with him best - he was used to playing with proper footballers at Arsenal so he might be useful?

There are not many younger strikers who are already internationals that fit our "optimal" requirement.

I wonder if the next option if we fail to get the first choices is to go for the right age but not got much international experience yet, or go the wrong age but they got international experience? Or some kind of maverick player in-betweeen? I present to you exhibit A: Nicola Bendtner.

I think we may be put in a difficult place with this decision (on a striker that is) because Rickie is already a certain age, Jrod and Mayuka are young, but neither are like Rickie in technical characteristics. If we want another goal poacher we should just keep Billy Sharp- so I don't think we will just go for one of those ( ie a Defoe type player). It pains me to say it as he apparently thinks a lot of himself, and the good news is that we would not pay his wages anyway, but I think Nicolas Bendtner is a realistic option for us up front and has Rickie-like characteristics - good in the air, good shot and probably more mobility at only 25 years old. He has spent over two years now of doing nothing much and was on loan at Juventus who did nothing with him as well...so id guess he needs to make an impact this season big time or risk being totally written off...... He has got EPl experience with Arsenal and Sunderland (8 goals in 30 matches in 2011-12) so who knows- he might need a fresh start and maybe we are the kind of footballing club that could work with him best - he was used to playing with proper footballers at Arsenal so he might be useful?

I would rather stick with what we have than go for a transfer as risky as Bendtner. Rickie might be getting on a bit, but I think he is capable of at least another couple of solid seasons in the Premier League. If a deal does not materialize - in the mould of a Damiao or Osvaldo - then why not just wait til January or even the following summer to see what is available? The strategy of signing players such as Lovren and Wanyama, both young with vast potential and CL experience, seems considered and well thought-out. I think diverting from that and bringing in players such as Bendtner (who didn't exactly fare well at Sunderland) would be a bit of a folly and a waste of Cortese's hard-earned cash. ;)

I agree. It will likely cause meltdown on here, but if you're looking for that top level striker, you may have to wait a long time. I'd rather wait until January than spend big money on a lesser player just for the sake of it. I think Lambert and JRod can both do a great job up front. Hope we sign a winger/attacking midfielder but I'm pretty happy with the squad already. Now we're spending big money I'd rather we did take our time and get it right.

Spot on. Agree with this completely.

Mayuka felt like a panic buy last season.

Spot on. Agree with this completely.

Mayuka felt like a panic buy last season.

As did Forren and Yoshida. Yosh worked out thankfully but effectively we spent. £9m on players who were panic buys. Add in the £2.5m for Gazzaniga to the Forren and mayuka fees and you've got nearly £10m spent on players who only managed a handful of games between them.

Edited by Turkish

As did Forren and Yoshida. Yosh worked out thankfully but effectively we spent. £9m on players who were panic buys. Add in the £2.5m for Gazzaniga to the Forren and mayuka fees and you've got nearly £10m spent on players who only managed a handful of games between them.

We didn't spend £2.5m on Gazzaniga did we? :uhoh:

The fact that I've suggested him and deescribed him as a 'natural goalscorer who has scored plenty at every level' suggests I rate him, no?

He scored 20 odd goals is a terrible Blackburn team last season. I've no idea what he is on but if stories from those parts a true Blackburn are sliding into admin and in big troubles financially so will need to sell soon.

I agree that we should be looking at players like Rhodes. We could probably throw in a few players in part-exchange (Hammond, De Ridder etc) which would reduce the fee, albeit possibly not by that much in truth.

We were strongly rumoured to have had a big bid for a centre half and the deal fall through just before we signed Yoshida, also Adkins said the week before that we wouldn't be signing him.

Gazzaniga may come good but the reality is we weren't strong enough in the goal keeping department and had to make another panic buy in Boruc to address this after he signed.

3 promoted clubs, us, WBA, WH, Fulham (maybe), Norwich, Newcastle (maybe), Sunderland, Stoke, Villa (maybe) I think at least half the league would gladly take him.

Meh maybe, the smaller clubs yes, but not the maybe's IMO and Im not talking about on a free either.

He is a good player, very good, but to rule out him potentially going to a top NPC team is a little ott

If he finished the highest English goalscorer again there's gotta be at least an 80% chance he'll go.

He'll never get picked for England, his face doesn't fit.

Having said that, I don't expect him to be our first choice striker next season either.

He wont play for england and nor should he, leaving club bias aside we should be looking for youth to be given experience on the national stage not an ageing player who has had one decent season of top flight football who wont fit the system England adopt

Why does his age matter? England need players to perform at the World Cup next summer. He'll still be a good player next summer, why does it matter if he doesn't play at tournaments beyond 2014? If England are always building for future tournaments they'll struggle to do well at any of them. They lack a goal threats that Lambert would provide them with.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Why does his age matter? England need players to perform at the World Cup next summer. He'll still be a good player next summer, why does it matter if he doesn't play at tournaments beyond 2014? If England are always building for future tournaments they'll struggle to do well at any of them. They lack a goal threats that Lambert would provide them with

I have explained it enough times MLG if you cared looking at previous Lambert for England threads. Plus he is not likely to be our main striker IF we sign who we want.

Football is often more than can be programmed into a few algorithms.

Its about time to coach, playing systems, players playing together and gaining experience for the future. Lambert WILL not go to Brazil, if I wasnt a Saints fan I wouldnt even bother giving this idea more than a glancing thought

He wont play for england and nor should he, leaving club bias aside we should be looking for youth to be given experience on the national stage not an ageing player who has had one decent season of top flight football who wont fit the system England adopt

The whole point was that it would be two seasons. If England don't pick someone who is highest English goalscorer for two consecutive seasons to go to the WC it's utterly moronic.

He wont be, and besides as I said before he doesnt fit the system England adopt

He could be quite easily if we don't manage to sign a top quality striker, doesn't strike me that Rooney is exactly going to hit it off with Moyes and Lampard is getting on a bit. How does he not fit into the England system, I haven't watched them in 3/4 years because they bore the tits off me?

So a possible striker you say??

Take your pick from this list. Players that are striker as main position. Market value £5-18m....

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/suche/detailsuchespieler/suche.html?searchId=1402685

If Osvaldo dont come off I can live with either one of Oscar Cardozo, Rodrigo, Bas Dost, Vossen, Matavz, Castaignos.

Cardozo is the quickest progress for us pobably, the others more for future success....

He could be quite easily if we don't manage to sign a top quality striker, doesn't strike me that Rooney is exactly going to hit it off with Moyes and Lampard is getting on a bit. How does he not fit into the England system, I haven't watched them in 3/4 years because they bore the tits off me?

I think without a top quality striker we will struggle next year, we saw how difficult it was to score at the end of the season as MoPo tweaked Adkins tactics, Lambert doesnt have the legs to provide what MoPo wants in a fluid front line. Too often he dropped in the hole and has not the legs to get back in the box.

England play with one up top supported by a bank of 3 behind, sometimes wingers. WR will play that lone role

Take your pick from this list. Players that are striker as main position. Market value £5-18m....

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/suche/detailsuchespieler/suche.html?searchId=1402685

If Osvaldo dont come off I can live with either one of Oscar Cardozo, Rodrigo, Bas Dost, Vossen, Matavz, Castaignos.

Cardozo is the quickest progress for us pobably, the others more for future success....

Luis Muriel

Mattio Destro

Stefan Keissling

A big fat no to Castaignos and Matavz. Also very sceptical about Dost. Not sure at all he's better then Rodriguez.

Can't say I know too much about the other players.

A big fat no to Castaignos and Matavz. Also very sceptical about Dost. Not sure at all he's better then Rodriguez.

Can't say I know too much about the other players.

I think those players might turn out to be very good players, but I also said "for future success" due to they aren´t probably ready yet to be the first choice striker week in week out in the PL.

I think without a top quality striker we will struggle next year, we saw how difficult it was to score at the end of the season as MoPo tweaked Adkins tactics, Lambert doesnt have the legs to provide what MoPo wants in a fluid front line. Too often he dropped in the hole and has not the legs to get back in the box.

England play with one up top supported by a bank of 3 behind, sometimes wingers. WR will play that lone role

Sounds like he'd be ideal as an impact sub for England if we're chasing a game, you don't want more of the same on the bench. But yeah we need a new top class striker, I just don't think we'll get one, I don't think Damiao would get 15+ a season and can't see Osvaldo coming even though he'd be ideal age aside.

Sounds like he'd be ideal as an impact sub for England if we're chasing a game, you don't want more of the same on the bench. But yeah we need a new top class striker, I just don't think we'll get one, I don't think Damiao would get 15+ a season and can't see Osvaldo coming even though he'd be ideal age aside.

Think Damiao would do ok, I just think we arent ready to sign those level of players yet IMO, Bony or a Michu type would have been perfect. It is a requirement for us though to push on. I agree though, not sure we will get any of them.

Lambert, dont get me wrong I love him, he is a great player and is two legs short of being excellent. I just woukd rather take the pain for 2-4 years to bed a proper England team in, that means drop the likes of Lampard etc and work on gelling the youngsters, but then dont get me started on the FA shower....

If it were at all possible, would you welcome Wayne Rooney? Hypothetical question obviously

Err.....yes, obviously there is the certain amount of BS involved with him, but those that say he isn't a good player have serious tunnel vision.

Always the same with England and bewildering supported by so many fans. Always look to the future, never the present. Shame this always leaves the side useless in the present and the future never comes.

Not as bewildering as those that claim you should just pick the current in form players, throw them together and let them play. No thoughts as to the system we might play, who the opposition is and if that player is actually good enough or not to play at international level and have any future there.