Summer 2013 HCDAJFU / Transfer thread

Glasgow_Saint

We should be in for bafetimbi gomis.

Already dealt with Lyon this window.

he'll turn us down anyway. Turns everyone down, Lyon are desperate to sell him but only at their price, Gomis is in no hurry to go anywhere. Probably end up at Newcastle though...why I've absolutely no idea. Sheep mentality no doubt.

The most interesting part is that Tord Grip is a scout for us. Didn't know that.

I must say I don't see what the hype about Igboanike is. His goalscoring record isn't that great compared to others in earlier seasons (Bangura, Gerdnt, Hysen, Wanderson, Ranegie) and none of them have succeeded abroad. He's not like he's only 20 has will become a lot better. As I said, I can't see it but Tord Grip knows more about football then me so perhaps I'm wrong.

Surely not? If there's some issue and Saints stupidly don't want him anymore, I can't see him going to a club that has Carroll. They've spent 15m and he'll start. Can't see them playing 2 players like that.

West Ham want another striker, and he'd be a relatively cheap option. compared to others. They're not going to play any other kind of striker because they wouldn't fit the way they play.

Sharp is wanted by Doncaster as well.

Yeah, I heard that, Ottery. Think I read Alan Nixon linked him to Doncaster, Burnley & I think Celtic.

Great signing for them. The one QPR player who always looked committed and wasn't half bad even in the top flight. Surprised they didn't want him but that's Harry isn't it.

Agree with this. Clint Hill & Mackie are the kind've players they need to get back up IMO.

Yeah, I heard that, Ottery. Think I read Alan Nixon linked him to Doncaster, Burnley & I think Celtic.

Agree with this. Clint Hill & Mackie are the kind've players they need to get back up IMO.

Watched Mackie in his days in the West Country...particularly at Exeter..

Always rated him as a team player and 100% TOTALLY COMMITTED PRO..

Ideal player in QPR quest for promotion...but Arry wants to turn over as many players before the season start for the love of his dog:D

Alex Goring Crook ‏@alex_crook

Just back from #saintsfc training, Good chats with @jackcork1 and @VictorWanyama will be hitting a paper neat you soon

Going back this afternoon to speak to Pochettino although he has indicated there is not much movement on transfer front #saintsfc

As has been mentioned following Nicola Cortese's #ssn interview #saintsfc are looking at bringing in one more player - a striker

#saintsfc say they will not be rushed into making a panic buy and would be willing to start season with current squad

Rickie Lambert and Gaston Ramirez both put in good shifts this morning. I don't expect either to leave #saintsfc this summer

Think Banega interest died when we signed Wanyama personally.

Different type of player IMO. I think the quote was intentional - maybe the asking price is too high and its intended to get them to lower it? We don't know exactly how skint Valencia are so maybe we will never know.

Different type of player IMO. I think the quote was intentional - maybe the asking price is too high and its intended to get them to lower it? We don't know exactly how skint Valencia are so maybe we will never know.

Valencia will want transfers to go through before the 4th of August...some sort of tax reason or other. So it's soon or probably not at all...which is the most likely. Still like to see something in the full back line myself, in addition to a top striker of course. Just don't have the confidence in Shaw that the rest of you seem to have. Mainly because I don't expect him to play much more than 25 games in the season and to me Fox is just a disaster (or disasters) waiting to happen.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Yeah but don't be naive Saint Charlie...all the best team improve year on year and even though our youth system is very good...i would argue that they can't be relied upon to substitute for signings.

We still need a top drawer striker and winger...we should also be looking at full back cover and another centre back...

I think if we don't make any more signings before the start of the season...we will be found wanting

Ramirez I doubt, Lambert will probably want to leave when he finds out he's not first choice any more.

I expect he isn't stupid and knows his playing time will decrease over the next few seasons.

Yeah but don't be naive Saint Charlie...all the best team improve year on year and even though our youth system is very good...i would argue that they can't be relied upon to substitute for signings.

We still need a top drawer striker and winger...we should also be looking at full back cover and another centre back...

I think if we don't make any more signings before the start of the season...we will be found wanting

We look like we will sign a top drawer striker, and certainly need one. But if we get one then we have made three top signings who will all be first choice players. I doubt Chelsea, Arsenal or Man Utd will sign three players this summer that all go straight into the starting XI.

We don't need full back cover or wingers IMO, and yes another CB would be good if possible.

One with ambitions to jump up the league = never

I don't know. West Brom only made three permanent signings last summer (Yacob and Markus Rosenberg, plus turning Ben Foster's loan into a permanent deal) then three loan signings including Lukaku. I reckon if all goes to plan, the impact of Lovren, Wanyama and Joe Striker could have equal impact to the two major improvements they made, and their jump up the table is exactly what we're after. Besides, we have a younger and arguably more talented squad than West Brom did this time last year - they just had a stronger base of Premier League experience as a team. Think of Chambers and Isgrove as our alternative to making squad signings like Popov and Rosenberg.

Edited by DuncanRG

I don't know. West Brom only made three permanent signings last summer (Foster, Yacob and Markus Rosenberg), then three loan signings including Lukaku. I reckon if all goes to plan, the impact of Lovren, Wanyama and Joe Striker could have equal impact to the three important signings they made, and their jump up the table is exactly what we're after. Besides, we have a younger and arguably more talented squad than West Brom did this time last year - they just had a stronger base of Premier League experience as a team. Think of Chambers and Isgrove as our alternative to making squad signings like Popov and Rosenberg.

Yassine El Ghanassy (AA Gent)

Ben Foster (Birmingham City)

Romelu Lukaku (Chelsea) Loan

Markus Rosenberg (Werder Bremen)

Claudio Yacob (Racing Club de Avellaneda)

Goran Popov (Dynamo Kiev)

Yup. Three permanent signings including one loan deal extended to be permanent, then three loan signings. Look at Southampton this way:

Foster = Boruc contract extension

Yacob = Wanyama

Lukaku = new striker, but ours will be permanent

Isgrove and Chambers = Rosenberg and Popov, supplementing the squad

El Ghanassy barely kicked a ball, while Lovren will start at centre half.

In terms of impact on the squad I reckon three good signings, which pay off, will turn out about the same if not better.

Edited by DuncanRG

Yup. Three permanent signings including one loan deal extended to be permanent, then three loan signings. Look at Southampton this way:

Foster = Boruc contract extension

Yacob = Wanyama

Lukaku = new striker, but ours will be permanent

Isgrove and Chambers = Rosenberg and Popov, supplementing the squad

El Ghanassy barely kicked a ball.

In terms of impact on the squad I reckon three good signings, which pay off, will turn out about the same if not better.

Maybe mate - lets hope so.

Agree that quality is better than quantity...... but I expected more than 3 as weve lost 10 this summer and our squad does not have much "quality" strengh in depth imho

Especially for a team so vocal about its ambitions.