Summer 2013 HCDAJFU / Transfer thread

Glasgow_Saint

Not as bewildering as those that claim you should just pick the current in form players, throw them together and let them play. No thoughts as to the system we might play, who the opposition is and if that player is actually good enough or not to play at international level and have any future there.

This basically, but unfortunately tha majority of fans just believe that chucking any players in together will work, it wont, they also cant understand the reasoning for having the majority of players, regardless of form, from the big 4, there are reasons here too.

Also Adrian you say that we should live in the present a bit... Well... We are, which is why we fail, we have NEVER properly looked to the future as an England set up, we dont value the U20/U21 etc tournaments enough and would rather pick players that are arguably too old, FWIW Id have dropped Lampard by now to give the youngsters a chance.

England needs a revolution and we need to go through a transition that the majority of fans wont like, but realistically we arent good enough anyway right now so why not do it ?

If you honestly think Lambert is the answer your very deluded and unfortunately with the Saints glasses off would probably not see him as an option.

This basically, but unfortunately tha majority of fans just believe that chucking any players in together will work, it wont, they also cant understand the reasoning for having the majority of players, regardless of form, from the big 4, there are reasons here too.

Also Adrian you say that we should live in the present a bit... Well... We are, which is why we fail, we have NEVER properly looked to the future as an England set up, we dont value the U20/U21 etc tournaments enough and would rather pick players that are arguably too old, FWIW Id have dropped Lampard by now to give the youngsters a chance.

England needs a revolution and we need to go through a transition that the majority of fans wont like, but realistically we arent good enough anyway right now so why not do it ?

If you honestly think Lambert is the answer your very deluded and unfortunately with the Saints glasses off would probably not see him as an option.

Reading your posts just makes me picture a downy wearing a monacle and top hat tbh.

what is the thinking of rodwell in the last lot of games?

that is what pishes people off. he is always injured, not been that good and when fit, hardly ever plays

if we are going to 'chuck people in' (which is what clearly happened here), then why not someone far more deserving?

players like rodwell, and in the past, shelvey and henderson, could be starters for norwich, play better and never ever get a look in

Edited by Batman

Why does his age matter? England need players to perform at the World Cup next summer. He'll still be a good player next summer, why does it matter if he doesn't play at tournaments beyond 2014? If England are always building for future tournaments they'll struggle to do well at any of them. They lack a goal threats that Lambert would provide them with.

i agree MLG, england are too obsessed with planning for the future when idealll there should be more focused on the present

Yet we still pick Andy Carroll ? We had the so called golden generation of youngsters, but where did that get us ?

The whole market has been fairly quiet for the last week. It's why Sky Sports are persisting with the Rooney\Suarez\Fabregas stories when not allot is really happening!

things are happening, very few of them seem to concern the UK though. German, Italian, French and Spanish clubs seem to be going about their not particularly newsworthy business in a untrumpetted way.

I love that we are being linked to big name players...Osvaldo and Damiao but how realistic are they??

We need a striker, that much is clear...i think most would agree that a large, quick, mobile striker is the way to go...someone who can play the lone striker well.

Personally i think Bony would of been the ideal signing but obviously he is gone...ditto Altidore...

I just don't know whether a guy like Osvaldo...a great player no doubt...would fit...into the culture of the club and country.

Also and more importantly...wages and fees would be astronomical...you can't tell me we can't pick up another player with all the qualities we want who is younger and more attainable.

I just hope the transfer committee are earning their money...because our transfers have been pretty average over the last 18 months (with the exception of well known players Clyne/Rodriguez)...

Let's hope we can pull some rabbits out of hats and soon

Alex Crook suggesting on Twitter that he is surprised that we haven't gone for Soldado this window (he has a £25.8m release clause). This is the same man who 'broke' the story that we had £30 million to spend in total. Give it up pal. :lol:

Edited by Toon Saint

Thats because they know that Christmas is an inevitability the next day. That isn't the case here.

Nonetheless, the excitement is in the anticipation, not the event.

The certainty of the event's occurrence is immaterial.

Getting excited about something that has a good chance of not happening is the entire basis of football support across the globe.

Quite. The whole of football is based on what if's.... What if that cross is good? What if he hadn't miss timed that tackle!? What if that shot had been just 1cm lower? What if City have an off day?

The potential transfers are no less a part of it. Excitement when linked to names such as Wanyama, Osvaldo.... or Lambert back in League 1 are no less a part of things.

What is thrilling about being linked to someone who then doesn't sign? Some people are very easily pleased.

I suppose because it means the next target will be AS big. Which is why now when we get linked to the, for want of a better word, "lesser" players, we feel slightly underwhelmed.

Being linked to Damiao up front raises the media's eyebrows, and in turn influences the fans to do likewise. Personally I'm not concerned whether we sign a "name" up front or not, as long as he's been well researched and, most importantly, can come in, perform well and score goals.

Alex Goring Crook ‏@alex_crook

#saintsfc in for Matej Vydra according to @talksport would not surprise me if this has legs with Cortese's Serie A links

He's Italian so he must have Serie A Links.

#saintsfc in for Matej Vydra according to @talksport would not surprise me if this has legs with Cortese's Serie A links

Would be curious.

A very Jay Rod esque signing. And one which may go against our philosophy of signing players that only improve the first team.

Would be curious.

A very Jay Rod esque signing. And one which may go against our philosophy of signing players that only improve the first team.

Yer pretty much agree.

Not seen much of him, but not sure he is really any better than what we have ?! Would be a bit of a come down to get him after being linked with Damiao and Osvaldo...!

I fear you may be confusing excitement with joy/satisfaction.

Not really. I'm very excited when we get to a cup final because it is an achievement. I'm excited when we make a big name signing and thrilled by a great performance or victory because we have actually done something. What is thrilling about being linked to a player that subsequently turns us down? Ramirez was an exciting signing.

Yer pretty much agree.

Not seen much of him, but not sure he is really any better than what we have ?! Would be a bit of a come down to get him after being linked with Damiao and Osvaldo...!

Agreed. That's the problem when we mention Banega/Osvaldo/Damiao in a press conference. Whilst it's amazing to mention them, if you don't land them, it's a bit of a let down.

Was delighted when we got the Wanyama deal done, but eager to improve the creativity/fire-power side of the team.

Not really. I'm very excited when we get to a cup final because it is an achievement. I'm excited when we make a big name signing and thrilled by a great performance or victory because we have actually done something. What is thrilling about being linked to a player that subsequently turns us down? Ramirez was an exciting signing.

The prospect of seeing certain players in our colours can be a very exciting prospect. Surely you can understand why that would appeal? Equally I can understand why you wouldn't get too worked up before something is confirmed.

From Graeme Bailey in SKY's transfer chat:

Q: What's the latest on Southampton? Been very quiet since Wanyama joined and have been more rumours of players going out such as Ramirez and Lambert ?

A: I don't think Southampton can be underestimated at the moment, they have made some excellent new signings and I think Vincent Wanyama is a wonderful buy. I still expect them to make at least one more decent buy, if not two.

I for one love transfer windows, rumours, links to players and all the stuff that comes with it.

Can it be frustrating?

Hell yeah, but it´s part of the game these days and comparing how the transfer windows are for us these days compared to early 2000's when we always sold our better players......well it´s easy to decide which one I prefer...

The prospect of seeing certain players in our colours can be a very exciting prospect. Surely you can understand why that would appeal? Equally I can understand why you wouldn't get too worked up before something is confirmed.

Yes I can see the prospect of signing someone would be exciting. I suppose it was the use of the word thrilled really when I really don't think it is that great to be linked with a player that will probably not sign.

My mate, a die hard Watford fan, said last night that they were excited by Vydra coming back to them on loan for the coming season. It seems that Udinese (who share the same owners as Watford) don't want to sell him but they are happy to loan him out to give him a shout at playing for his national team.

My mate, a die hard Watford fan, said last night that they were excited by Vydra coming back to them on loan for the coming season. It seems that Udinese (who share the same owners as Watford) don't want to sell him but they are happy to loan him out to give him a shout at playing for his national team.

Would be curious.

I think he would be an improvement in some cases. Certainly quicker than Lambert, with an equally impressive scoring record in the Championship as any of our strikers. Would probably be an improvement on Sharp and Mayuka. We've only really got 2 decent strikers and I wouldn't mind seeing 2 more. Vydra and Damiao would be a brilliant window.

I think he would be an improvement in some cases. Certainly quicker than Lambert, with an equally impressive scoring record in the Championship as any of our strikers. Would probably be an improvement on Sharp and Mayuka. We've only really got 2 decent strikers and I wouldn't mind seeing 2 more. Vydra and Damiao would be a brilliant window.

Still feel it a bit early to Judge on Mayuka, he showed signs of playing his way into the team towards the end of the season. Sharp I do agree with.

Damiao... he is someone who I feel would offer the immediate improvement required over the existing first eleven and covers all our usual bases. Vydra.... No.

Still feel it a bit early to Judge on Mayuka, he showed signs of playing his way into the team towards the end of the season. Sharp I do agree with.

Damiao... he is someone who I feel would offer the immediate improvement required over the existing first eleven and covers all our usual bases. Vydra.... No.

Vydra scored 24 in 51 apps last year.

Mayuka scored 2 in 22 apps (both in the Swiss League)

I'm sorry but there is no comparison for me there. Vydra every time. He may not get into the starting 11 but it's not just the 11 we need to think about. We need some first choice bench options, if that makes sense. At the moment Mayuka is probably our strongest 'let's bring on some pace up front' player and so far he hasn't proven that effective. So from that p.o.v. Vydra would be a significant improvement IMO.