Summer 2013 HCDAJFU / Transfer thread

Glasgow_Saint

In a way that is positive cause earlier it has said that Osvaldo dont even want to consider it.

Man C is no longer an option and I dont know if there is any other option than us for him if he wants to go to Premier League. The only club I can think of that would interest him is Spurs but I think their new sports director Baldini dont fancy him since he knows firsthand what was going on in Roma...

There must be something about Osvaldo that has made Pochettino absolutely convince the club that we must persevere trying to sign him. I know he worked with him at Espanyol but I can't see anything about him from the YouTube clips and reports I read about him that makes it clear to me exactly what would be so 'must have' about him. Its a bit weird.

Sunderland: Why don't clubs seem to learn? Individually some look good signings, the Italian guy today is experienced and decent. But if you let a new manager basically sign a completely new team or squad, even if you have short term success, when they leave you're pretty screwed, with an inflated squad of players with little affiliation to the club and a new man wanting a new team. It's not like O'Neill's team were THAT awful.

I agree with you on the whole 'let's chop and change everything' part - it does a lot more harm than good. However, O'Neill's team on paper was, to me, pretty poor. Bardsley, Vaughan, Gardner, Ji Dong-won, James McClean... They're not that great. For all the hype around Sessegnon he's seemingly not coveted by other clubs, Connor Wickham has shown no sign of realising the potential many believed he had whilst at Ipswich and Lee Cattermole spends more time suspended or injured than he does playing.

They're rapidly headed backwards in my opinion, and given that before they only just survived that should be alarming. Getting rid of Graham - okay he didn't have the best time there - and replacing him with Altidore? Wow. Mignolet out, Mannone in? I'd be terrified if that happened to us.

If we´re looking in Catania I´d rather have Alejandro Gomez.

But neither of these two can really be a target for us cause they dont have a european passport so would have problem to get work permit IMO.

Couldn't find the information anywhere online but on FM2011 Bergessio has an italian passport aswell, the same goes for Alejandro Gomez.

Not somebody we've been linked with, but HCDAJFU - Roma's versatile Greek right back Vasilis Torosidis. Although he only joined the club in January, Roma have just signed Maicon in the same position so not sure what that means for Torosidis' future. Can also fill in at right midfield or left back. Would be very useful cover for Clyne. Roma signed him for just £350K in January, so he wouldn't cost a lot and if offered a small profit expect they'd accept.

Again, I'll stress not somebody we've been linked with, not ITK, just a personal suggestion.

Not somebody we've been linked with, but HCDAJFU - Roma's versatile Greek right back Vasilis Torosidis. Although he only joined the club in January, Roma have just signed Maicon in the same position so not sure what that means for Torosidis' future. Can also fill in at right midfield or left back. Would be very useful cover for Clyne. Roma signed him for just £350K in January, so he wouldn't cost a lot and if offered a small profit expect they'd accept.

Again, I'll stress not somebody we've been linked with, not ITK, just a personal suggestion.

Good recommendation, that. ;)

Thirded! Wasn't Torosidis one of the key players when Greece won the Euros?

No, he made his debut for Greece in 2008, they won it in 2004! For my money he is currently the best Greek player out there. Nearly joined Fulham in January but Roma came in at the last minute and he went there. Scored a corker of a goal in the Italian Cup Semi Final last season.

Suspected you'd concur, Crab Lungs! ;)

Edited by saints_is_the_south

!!!!!SUPERMIKEY'S SUMMER TRANSFER REVIEW!!!!!

Arsenal

Bought in Yaya Sanogo on a free, got rid of some dead wood from their squad. Need some more quality if they want to cement Top 4 and have a good CL run. Been linked with Suarez recently which would be perfect for them, they have the players for a great front 3 but no proper striker to play with Ox and Theo.

Aston Villa

Mostly focussing on young talent, they've done well so far. Lots of speculation at the start of the window which seems to have cooled off, not sure if they're satisfied with their squad now or they're finding it difficult to bring in players. All hangs on whether they sell Benteke or not, that cash could buy them some serious players.

Cardiff

Only made one signing so far, but it's a hell of a signing. Andreas Cornelius from FC Copenhagen. He's only young but think he's a great fit for this league. Think back to Tore Andre Flo if you're wondering what kind of player he is. They do need to bring in a few more players but if he's the benchmark then they'll do fine.

Chelsea

So far it seems that they're going for young talent instead of any "superstars", but they've narrowly missed out on both Falcao and Cavani. I don't personally think they need a big striker as Torres, Lukaku and Ba are good options but if they do sign someone of top quality then I think they're a shoe-in for the title. Van Ginkel and Schurrle will be very good players one day, but whether they realise their potential at Chelsea or somewhere else remains to be seen. Mourinho does like squad rotation so not much chance of them sitting on the bench all season.

Crystal Palace

Can't see them staying up with their dealings so far. £8.5m for Dwight Gayle? Peterborough must be p!ssing themselves that they manage to mug Palace for that much. Ok, he's scored goals in the Football League, but he's only been playing professionally for 12 months or so. Don't know where their goals are going to come from either as Glenn Murray is no Premier League striker. Hope that mug Holloway gets utterly humiliated this season.

Everton

Now that Martinez has bought up half the Wigan squad, it'll be interesting to see what his next move will be. Whether he chooses to set his Everton team up as expansively as he did at Wigan remains to be seen, and it will influence the rest of his transfer dealings pretty heavily. Kone is a good striker but I think they lack somebody who's dangerous down the flanks that isn't Baines or Coleman. Need a good young centre back as well as Distin and Jagielka aren't getting any younger.

Fulham

Pretty subdued so far, done most of their business early in the window. Stekelenburg is a great signing and a very good long-term replacement for Schwarzer. Will be interesting to see if their new owner decides to splash the cash or remain shrewd with his dealings, however a big squad overhaul at the end of last season might mean that he doesn't have much of a choice.

Hull City

Hull have made one of the signings of the season so far for me, and that's Allan McGregor from Beskitas for just under £2m. As we saw when Boruc became properly established in our team, having a reliable goalkeeper makes a huge difference and Hull have got one here. They've got an experienced manager in Steve Bruce, and if Danny Graham can find his shooting boots again and George Boyd has a similar impact on the team to last year then I can see them finishing clear of relegation.

Liverpool

They've had an interesting window so far, brought in a few young players from La Liga which can be a very "sink or swim" league to make the transition from. However they've got a cracking young keeper in Mignolet although this could spell the end for Reina's time at the club so the pressure is on for Mignolet to make the step up. Liverpool fans are talking about cracking the Top 4 this year although I think they're still a while off. Hanging onto Suarez and keeping him on a leash is their best chance of success, and making sure that players like Sturridge live up to their hype is paramount.

Man City

Slightly underwhelming window from City so far, only bringing in Fernandinho (pushing 30 and untested at the level that City want to get to) and Jesus Navas (suffered with big injury problems) for nearly £50m between them. Think they need to be looking to bring in more young talent rather than players the wrong side of 28 from the continent.

Man Utd

Yet to see them make any major forays into the transfer market, but I think Moyes will be planning his targets very carefully. Think they need to get shot of Evra if there's a chance that they could get Baines and they need an enforcer in the middle which is a role which Fellaini could perform very well indeed. Got a few young players coming through who'll be trying to break into the first team but apart from their starting XI they are distinctly average now. Strootman is exactly the kind of player they should be after but it looks like he might off to Roma now..

Newcastle

No ins yet but I think they've got the quality in their squad to finish Top 10. Pardew needs to sort them out and make them into a team which, with their influx of players in January and the previous summer window, they are currently not. Their priorities should be holding onto Cabaye and finding a player who can make a real impact out wide, because that's where they're currently lacking.

Norwich

Made the best buys of the window so far imo. Garrido is decent enough but they've got some coups in Fer, Van Wolfswinkel and Olsson. Redmond is a bit of a rough diamond and my Brum mate thinks he won't be ready for the Prem for another couple of years, but he's got potential. If they can get Van Wolfswinkel scoring then they're going to be a force to be reckoned with this season, can see them finishing very close to Top 10 if not Top 8.

SAINTS

Think we've made two excellent signings in Lovren and Wanyama, but think we still could do with getting in a full-back for cover, a winger and a striker. If we bring players in for those positions then I can't see us finishing any lower than 12th. You can see from the players being released that our squad has evolved in the last couple of years, and it's looking bright. Might sound big-headed but i'm really excited about this season, lets just hope the boys live up to what's expected of them!

Spurs

Paulinho is a great signing for Spurs, a proper box-to-box midfielder with a bit of physicality and flair about him. As long as they can hang on to Bale and bring in one or two to bolster their attack and defence then I reckon they'll have another good season. AVB is no mug and knows how to get the best out of his players.

Stoke

Although they've made two good signings in Muniesa and Pieters I think they're in trouble this season. Mark Hughes is a really average manager, but it seems that he's going to focus on making them watertight at the back before concentrating higher up the pitch. In summary - less hoof than before but still a f*cking boring team to watch.

Sunderland

Interesting window so far. Diakite and Giaccherini are decent enough signings, but the loss of Mignolet is huge for them. Signings large amounts of untested foreign players seems to be a bit of a recipe for disaster, and i'm not sure that Di Canio is good enough of a manager to keep them up this year. Will be an interesting next 10 months at that club..

Swansea

Like Norwich I think they've made signings that are capable of pushing them up to the next level. Laudrup is a very good manager and if they can hang onto him then I think they'll be successful on both the domestic and continental fronts. Bony has a lot of hype around him but I reckon he'll prove to be a good buy, not sure that many of their Spanish signings will make a huge impact but they're building a squad capable of Top 8 - as long as Michu carries on scoring..

WBA

I can't see them repeating their success of last season again. Steve Clarke is a good manager but I think they'll miss Lukaku hugely. Popov is solid but can't fathom their signing of Anelka - haven't they had enough of strikers with attitude problems in the last 12 months? Don't think they're in much danger of relegation but it's a bottom-half finish for me based on what they've done so far.

West Ham

Not made any major waves apart from their signing of Carroll on a permanent deal. Rat and Adrian are decent enough but they're not exactly quality players. Think teams will suss them out this season and they'll struggle. If Nolan doesn't score his usual amount then they are royally f*cked as there aren't many other players in their team scoring goals!

I'm looking forward to this being dragged up later in the season and being beaten over the head with some of my words...

Not a bad review! Only addition is Fulham haven't done anything because they have replaced one fat crazy owner with a slightly younger fat crazy owner with a tash explaining the lack of transfers other than releasing a few of the old lads.

Right about hull and palace though ;)

!!!!!SUPERMIKEY'S SUMMER TRANSFER REVIEW!!!!!

Arsenal

Bought in Yaya Sanogo on a free, got rid of some dead wood from their squad. Need some more quality if they want to cement Top 4 and have a good CL run. Been linked with Suarez recently which would be perfect for them, they have the players for a great front 3 but no proper striker to play with Ox and Theo.

Aston Villa

Mostly focussing on young talent, they've done well so far. Lots of speculation at the start of the window which seems to have cooled off, not sure if they're satisfied with their squad now or they're finding it difficult to bring in players. All hangs on whether they sell Benteke or not, that cash could buy them some serious players.

Cardiff

Only made one signing so far, but it's a hell of a signing. Andreas Cornelius from FC Copenhagen. He's only young but think he's a great fit for this league. Think back to Tore Andre Flo if you're wondering what kind of player he is. They do need to bring in a few more players but if he's the benchmark then they'll do fine.

Chelsea

So far it seems that they're going for young talent instead of any "superstars", but they've narrowly missed out on both Falcao and Cavani. I don't personally think they need a big striker as Torres, Lukaku and Ba are good options but if they do sign someone of top quality then I think they're a shoe-in for the title. Van Ginkel and Schurrle will be very good players one day, but whether they realise their potential at Chelsea or somewhere else remains to be seen. Mourinho does like squad rotation so not much chance of them sitting on the bench all season.

Crystal Palace

Can't see them staying up with their dealings so far. £8.5m for Dwight Gayle? Peterborough must be p!ssing themselves that they manage to mug Palace for that much. Ok, he's scored goals in the Football League, but he's only been playing professionally for 12 months or so. Don't know where their goals are going to come from either as Glenn Murray is no Premier League striker. Hope that mug Holloway gets utterly humiliated this season.

Everton

Now that Martinez has bought up half the Wigan squad, it'll be interesting to see what his next move will be. Whether he chooses to set his Everton team up as expansively as he did at Wigan remains to be seen, and it will influence the rest of his transfer dealings pretty heavily. Kone is a good striker but I think they lack somebody who's dangerous down the flanks that isn't Baines or Coleman. Need a good young centre back as well as Distin and Jagielka aren't getting any younger.

Fulham

Pretty subdued so far, done most of their business early in the window. Stekelenburg is a great signing and a very good long-term replacement for Schwarzer. Will be interesting to see if their new owner decides to splash the cash or remain shrewd with his dealings, however a big squad overhaul at the end of last season might mean that he doesn't have much of a choice.

Hull City

Hull have made one of the signings of the season so far for me, and that's Allan McGregor from Beskitas for just under £2m. As we saw when Boruc became properly established in our team, having a reliable goalkeeper makes a huge difference and Hull have got one here. They've got an experienced manager in Steve Bruce, and if Danny Graham can find his shooting boots again and George Boyd has a similar impact on the team to last year then I can see them finishing clear of relegation.

Liverpool

They've had an interesting window so far, brought in a few young players from La Liga which can be a very "sink or swim" league to make the transition from. However they've got a cracking young keeper in Mignolet although this could spell the end for Reina's time at the club so the pressure is on for Mignolet to make the step up. Liverpool fans are talking about cracking the Top 4 this year although I think they're still a while off. Hanging onto Suarez and keeping him on a leash is their best chance of success, and making sure that players like Sturridge live up to their hype is paramount.

Man City

Slightly underwhelming window from City so far, only bringing in Fernandinho (pushing 30 and untested at the level that City want to get to) and Jesus Navas (suffered with big injury problems) for nearly £50m between them. Think they need to be looking to bring in more young talent rather than players the wrong side of 28 from the continent.

Man Utd

Yet to see them make any major forays into the transfer market, but I think Moyes will be planning his targets very carefully. Think they need to get shot of Evra if there's a chance that they could get Baines and they need an enforcer in the middle which is a role which Fellaini could perform very well indeed. Got a few young players coming through who'll be trying to break into the first team but apart from their starting XI they are distinctly average now. Strootman is exactly the kind of player they should be after but it looks like he might off to Roma now..

Newcastle

No ins yet but I think they've got the quality in their squad to finish Top 10. Pardew needs to sort them out and make them into a team which, with their influx of players in January and the previous summer window, they are currently not. Their priorities should be holding onto Cabaye and finding a player who can make a real impact out wide, because that's where they're currently lacking.

Norwich

Made the best buys of the window so far imo. Garrido is decent enough but they've got some coups in Fer, Van Wolfswinkel and Olsson. Redmond is a bit of a rough diamond and my Brum mate thinks he won't be ready for the Prem for another couple of years, but he's got potential. If they can get Van Wolfswinkel scoring then they're going to be a force to be reckoned with this season, can see them finishing very close to Top 10 if not Top 8.

SAINTS

Think we've made two excellent signings in Lovren and Wanyama, but think we still could do with getting in a full-back for cover, a winger and a striker. If we bring players in for those positions then I can't see us finishing any lower than 12th. You can see from the players being released that our squad has evolved in the last couple of years, and it's looking bright. Might sound big-headed but i'm really excited about this season, lets just hope the boys live up to what's expected of them!

Spurs

Paulinho is a great signing for Spurs, a proper box-to-box midfielder with a bit of physicality and flair about him. As long as they can hang on to Bale and bring in one or two to bolster their attack and defence then I reckon they'll have another good season. AVB is no mug and knows how to get the best out of his players.

Stoke

Although they've made two good signings in Muniesa and Pieters I think they're in trouble this season. Mark Hughes is a really average manager, but it seems that he's going to focus on making them watertight at the back before concentrating higher up the pitch. In summary - less hoof than before but still a f*cking boring team to watch.

Sunderland

Interesting window so far. Diakite and Giaccherini are decent enough signings, but the loss of Mignolet is huge for them. Signings large amounts of untested foreign players seems to be a bit of a recipe for disaster, and i'm not sure that Di Canio is good enough of a manager to keep them up this year. Will be an interesting next 10 months at that club..

Swansea

Like Norwich I think they've made signings that are capable of pushing them up to the next level. Laudrup is a very good manager and if they can hang onto him then I think they'll be successful on both the domestic and continental fronts. Bony has a lot of hype around him but I reckon he'll prove to be a good buy, not sure that many of their Spanish signings will make a huge impact but they're building a squad capable of Top 8 - as long as Michu carries on scoring..

WBA

I can't see them repeating their success of last season again. Steve Clarke is a good manager but I think they'll miss Lukaku hugely. Popov is solid but can't fathom their signing of Anelka - haven't they had enough of strikers with attitude problems in the last 12 months? Don't think they're in much danger of relegation but it's a bottom-half finish for me based on what they've done so far.

West Ham

Not made any major waves apart from their signing of Carroll on a permanent deal. Rat and Adrian are decent enough but they're not exactly quality players. Think teams will suss them out this season and they'll struggle. If Nolan doesn't score his usual amount then they are royally f*cked as there aren't many other players in their team scoring goals!

I'm looking forward to this being dragged up later in the season and being beaten over the head with some of my words...

Good review but just a few 'MLG' type points:-

Everton have Meireles to play wide, who if he stays injury free I think will be a major player for them. Also Jagielka is only just 30.

Would love to see West Ham struggle but can't see it happening, they will bully enough teams to stay up. Hopefully we will finish above them.

Also Man City have pretty much just signed Negredo, who seem to fit into the same category as Navas and Fernandinho, not that young and all 3 have a whiff of Europa League about them.

Wow he look dreadful...29 years old and never heard of him...no thanks

I think we need to ramp up our transfers a bit...we need 4/5 more players and we are not moving fast enough. Norwich and Swansea are showing how it is done.

I am dissapointed we have not hit up the Spanish League or got any Argentinian players...we are weak at cover at full back, still at centre back and need a winger and top drawer striker...

Lots of work to be done

No it's just progress adrian...some of the kids may be decent but the lions share won't make it, so can't be relied upon...

Swansea finished way above Saints...won a trophy and still look to get a decent number of additions in...ditto Norwich

There is some real dross in our squad that needs to be upgraded...Fonte, Fox, Hoiveld, Guly to name 4...are sub standard first team members and they need to be upgraded

It is not about spending crazy amounts on transfers and wages...but using our scouting network effectively and digging up some gems...i love the signings of Lovren and Wanyama but you hardly needed a scoting network to unearth those two...just feel we are leaving it late AGAIN

Swansea finished way above Saints.

5 points is not a huge gap. Especially when you consider Saints poor start (8 losses, 1 draw, 1 win from opening 10 games), once adapted to the Premier League in the 28 games from November 2012 to May 2013 Saints had a better record than Swansea.

Edited by Matthew Le God