Summer 2013 HCDAJFU / Transfer thread

Glasgow_Saint

How many times have people seen Remy play exactly? I've seen him 3 times, scored once with a good goal, looked absolutely rubbish once and completed disinterested 90% of the time.

Fair point. Haven't seen many and my view of him may well be clouded by his wonder goals. Attitude problems aside, 18 caps for France would suggest that he isn't all that bad though.

Christian Benitez, former birmingham striker, who was previously linked with us, has died aged 27 after a car accident. What a shock. Terrible news.

Really awful news, RIP.

Saints should definitely sign Gomis from Lyon...his contract is up in a year...only 27 and a regular in the French National team...quick and strong and a good finisher...and for £8mill bargain

Get it done Saints...

who said it was 8 million, Aulas probably wants at least 10 and Gomis won't go anywhere that Deschamps doesn't recognise as a big team. Next summer's WC really is a pain in the ass when trying to sign really decent players.

well i think it is more about first team football...he won't be moving to a top 4 team and he seemed to consider Swansea so i'm sure he would consider a very good mid table side.

Even for £10mill that is decent...very good player who would add a new dimension and could play the lone striker role

Christian Benitez, former birmingham striker, who was previously linked with us, has died aged 27 after a car accident. What a shock. Terrible news.

It is very sad news - the report I read didn't say anything about a car accident - it sounds more like a heart attack. A tragedy for this lad and his family. RIP.

I'm not convinced it being quiet and rumourless makes us any more or less likely to be about to sign someone.

The clubs still working, the little ITK noises have not been as frequent as the majority of the club, coaching staff etc have been on pre-season tour

Im sure there will be bits to hear soon and very sure the club is still working hard.

The clubs still working, the little ITK noises have not been as frequent as the majority of the club, coaching staff etc have been on pre-season tour

Im sure there will be bits to hear soon and very sure the club is still working hard.

The chairman is working extremely hard behind the scenes, yes?

Still think we need a winger and striker. Want to see Miroslav Stoch sign.

No new information I'm afraid.

On the 15th of July you posted this "Bid for player accepted. Deal being worked on by NC whilst away in Spain." - no more news on what that was about? Most likely assumption Osvaldo and he turned us down?

Really curious to see how Mayuka goes now hes got off the mark.

I think the squad looks quite balanced at the moment, but is missing a bit of quality. In following order we need:

=1. CB

=1. Striker

2. Left winger

3. GK back-up for Boruc

Only the first two are critical, but if they drag on they may become less so if Isgrove steps up and Maya comes back and forges a good partnership with Lovren.

Crazy to talk about holding on until Jan or next summer window...very short term and small thinking view

The time to do it is now...football is a crazy game and 4/5 wins on the spin can get you the sack...we can not afford to have Hoiveld and Fonte (both near enough 30) to be near anywhere near the first team...

Similarly they need to strike on a forward very soon...i'm worried enough about left back...if anything happened to Shaw, Fox is not good enough...and for anyone who thinks we won't get another left back willing to play second fiddle...what about Olsson who just joined Norwich...certainly better than Fox and currently behind Garrido in the pecking order...

My worry is now late signings take time to settle in...really need them in before the last friendly at SMS at the very latest

Crazy to talk about holding on until Jan or next summer window...very short term and small thinking view

The time to do it is now...football is a crazy game and 4/5 wins on the spin can get you the sack...we can not afford to have Hoiveld and Fonte (both near enough 30) to be near anywhere near the first team...

Similarly they need to strike on a forward very soon...i'm worried enough about left back...if anything happened to Shaw, Fox is not good enough...and for anyone who thinks we won't get another left back willing to play second fiddle...what about Olsson who just joined Norwich...certainly better than Fox and currently behind Garrido in the pecking order...

My worry is now late signings take time to settle in...really need them in before the last friendly at SMS at the very latest

I agree. Although we improved defensively in second half of season we were still suspect against pace and power. Should Lovren get injured then sh1t will really hit the fan. I think Yoshida is solid enough on the whole but he really struggles against forwards who play off the shoulder. He doesnt have any recovery pace.

I agree. Although we improved defensively in second half of season we were still suspect against pace and power. Should Lovren get injured then sh1t will really hit the fan. I think Yoshida is solid enough on the whole but he really struggles against forwards who play off the shoulder. He doesnt have any recovery pace.

You're obviously thinking of Lukaku who did tear us a new one. But Suarez was easily kept quiet by Yoshida and Hooiveld.

Surely this is a short-term, 'small thinking' view? Yes, it would be great to get a few more bodies through the door before the season starts and integrate them into the team. But importantly, Poch and Cortese are confident in the squad that we already have.

We need to aim for similar standard of player we have already signed in Lovren and Wanyama especially in AMC and striker positions (hence links with Banega, Osvaldo, Damiao,) and I'm more than happy to play the waiting game until those calibre of players became available for a fair rate on the transfer market.

I do worry whether Cortese needs a bit more help in terms of new personnel coming in and assisting with transfers. But as adrian said above, it's about improving the overall quality not numbers. That is definitely a 'long-term' view, not a knee-jerk panicked reaction to a perceived recent lack of transfer activity.

Edited by Toon Saint

You're obviously thinking of Lukaku who did tear us a new one. But Suarez was easily kept quiet by Yoshida and Hooiveld.

I may be wrong but didn't Jos go off injured at home against Liverpool fairly early on? Possibly the best thing that could have happened as Suarez was looking likely to embarrass him IIRC.

I've heard the club shop is shutting for two hours as well and should be confirmed around lunchtime this is taken from a facebook status I've just seen

Ahh, thanks. In that case, I shall assume this is balderdash and piffle!

Oh NO - DISASTER!'

Toke's in not ITK shocker. Next we'll hear that Turks & GS know nothing about the shop either

Just cause the mods deleted the greatest eva MS thread where I broke Wanyama signing 4 hours before anyone else, doesn't mean it didn't happen Phil. If I could trust you not to reply with a golf story, you might make the ITKPM list one day.

Since everyone has been away, I admit I know nothing ITK lately.

Couple of quick Saints related updates:

Pete O'Rourke‏ @SkySportsPeteO

Reports in Italy claim Manchester City are eyeing a move for Cagliari defender Davide Astori. #MCFC

Tancredi Palmeri ‏@tancredipalmeri

Jackson Martinez's agent confirmed that the player has an agreement with Napoli but still the bid hasn't matched the Porto's clause

So Napoli have signed Higuain and now close to getting Jackson Martinez. I thought they wanted Damiao... :)

I've heard club shop is shutting at lunchtime so a new signing can be pictured in the new away shirt behind the tills.

Fans will then be allowed in to purchase the shirt, served by the new signing. #preseasonuncovered

It's happening

Maybe.....

I've heard club shop is shutting at lunchtime so a new signing can be pictured in the new away shirt behind the tills.

Fans will then be allowed in to purchase the shirt, served by the new signing. #preseasonuncovered

not bad, a 70K a week checkout assistant. Think I'll apply.

Yeah, I can just imagine our new multi-million pound signing, serving behind the tills all afternoon!

Didn't read that bit first time round. Just read shop was closed for photographs of new signing and got excited.

I guess another day of no activity on the transfer front

Some comment on BBC sport from a fan desperate for us to sign a keeper. What's wrong with Boruc? Hugely experienced decent top flight keeper. The whole 'if they get injured' line can be used for every position, that's just the luck you roll with, even Barca's reserve keeper is sh1te.

Probably a small minority, but a few ''neutrals'' who I speak to claim the GK position being our weakest position, which confused me somewhat.

I think if anything it's one of our strongest area's.

Probably a small minority, but a few ''neutrals'' who I speak to claim the GK position being our weakest position, which confused me somewhat.

I think if anything it's one of our strongest area's.

If Boruc gets injured we are screwed.