Summer 2013 HCDAJFU / Transfer thread

Glasgow_Saint

Yup. Three permanent signings including one loan deal extended to be permanent, then three loan signings. Look at Southampton this way:

Foster = Boruc contract extension

Yacob = Wanyama

Lukaku = new striker, but ours will be permanent

Isgrove and Chambers = Rosenberg and Popov, supplementing the squad

El Ghanassy barely kicked a ball, then Lovren on top of that.

In terms of impact on the squad I reckon three good signings, which pay off, will turn out about the same if not better.

So they'd signed 6 players, or do loan signings not play?

I'm thinking in terms of additions to the squad, signings or otherwise - we've got Isgrove and Chambers coming in making our grand total five. Having looked it up, Rosenberg played more games than I gave him credit for, so consider him a signing on Lovren's level. I would expect one or both of Isgrove and Chambers to match Popov's 10 appearances.

Edited by DuncanRG

I'm thinking in terms of adding to the squad, signings or otherwise - we've got Isgrove and Chambers coming in. Having looked it up, Rosenberg played more games than I gave him credit for, so consider him a signing on Lovren's level. I would expect one of Isgrove or Chambers to match Popov's 10 appearances.

We had Chambers last season, so he's not new. West Brom also promoted youth players I assume? Signing only 3 players is pretty much unheard of at this level.

Chambers hardly kicked a ball last season. Arsenal signed three last summer so it's unusual, sure, but not unique.

Either way it seems fairly clear to me we're not relying on signings to improve the team - Pochettino and Cortese expect better performances from many who are already here, which is fair enough.

Chambers hardly kicked a ball last season. Arsenal signed three last summer so it's unusual, sure, but not unique.

Either way it seems fairly clear to me we're not relying on signings to improve the team - Pochettino and Cortese expect better performances from many who are already here, which is fair enough.

To be fair they should perform better, This time last season we didn't have much Prem experience. the majority now have a years worth, and a young squad being a year older. A couple of quality additions (Wanyama, Lovren + Striker) and I can see why the management is expecting better things this year. And those that everyone else is improving....it's the same every year, but the league as a whole doesn't really improve does it. Some signings work out unbelievablly well -See Michu, and some aren't as good as expected - See Adam Johnson,

When was the last time a premiership club only signed 3 players over the summer?

Arsenal signed just three last summer (Podolski, Carzorla and Giroud) plus a 17 year old youth team player from Barnsley

Arsenal signed just three last summer (Podolski, Carzorla and Giroud) plus a 17 year old youth team player from Barnsley

They also sold their best player and another first teamer in Song. The equivalent of us selling Lambert and Morgan.

We have only sold one and released some, none of whom had much impact at first team level last year,

Remember this is a team that showed a lot of promising performances against supposed better teams, I would imagine MPO just wants more consistency form the team and that will bring an automatic improvement in our league position and points tally without additions.

Look at our negatives from last year:-

- Poor start partially down to lack of premiership experience

- Weak in the left back position early on

- Changes in the goalkeeping department that directly led to points dropped and probably poor confidence from defenders.

- Missing a key midfielder at the start of the season

- Ending the season struggling to score, a lot probably from relying too much on Lambert

- Weakness in central defence, recognised by most pundits as our weakest area

Yeh we could always add more but it;s not like our squad was terrible last year, most of our worst play came in the first 10 games due to the above reasons. The squad itself was good enough to just shy of the top 10, add in the 3 key signings we should be able to push into the top 10.

Sorry but i really feel a lot of fans on here still have the old Dell/ Lowe mentality...prudence/ be happy with what we have got etc

I know part of the rhetoric with Saints is to incorporate the youth players and that's great...Shaw and Ward-Prowse...but i would argue that whilst it would be nice to use Isgrove, Stephens etc...it is a massive risk playing them in Prem matches and i feel a lot of them could do with loaning out to get experience.

On to the next point...quality of quantity...agreed...and i think we all like Lovren and Wanyama...but let's face it, we were not world beaters last year and looked poor toward the end of season.

Norwich and Swansea are another year established than us and yet both clubs have taken massive strides with their additions this season...

I'm not saying we need as many signings as them...but come on...we have been safe since April and have had more than enough time to get business done.

Norwich signed a top drawer forward in Van Wolfswinkel 4 months ago...

I am staggered that we can consider using Fox/ Hoiveld/ Fonte/ Guly around the first team...and have not upgraded in relevant positions

Goalkeeper - Probably only position we don't need anything doing

Defence - no cover at RB...only a rookie in Chambers which is worrying...sub standard LB Fox deputy for Shaw...Yoshida should be a squad player at best....Fonte and Hoiveld are both not good enough

Midfield - Very strong in def mid with Cork/Morgan/Wanyama...would argue Lallana is not a wide man and should be played through the middle...then past Ramirez and Puncheon...we only have Rodriguez who is a striker played out wide...definitely missing another winger with pace and tricks

Striker - One striker short here...crying out for a pacy front man as Lambert can sometimes make us one dimensional...top names have been mentioned but would be shocked if we pulled off Osvaldo or Damiao...this is probably the most critical signing for the club now

Sorry but i really feel a lot of fans on here still have the old Dell/ Lowe mentality...prudence/ be happy with what we have got etc

I know part of the rhetoric with Saints is to incorporate the youth players and that's great...Shaw and Ward-Prowse...but i would argue that whilst it would be nice to use Isgrove, Stephens etc...it is a massive risk playing them in Prem matches and i feel a lot of them could do with loaning out to get experience.

On to the next point...quality of quantity...agreed...and i think we all like Lovren and Wanyama...but let's face it, we were not world beaters last year and looked poor toward the end of season.

Norwich and Swansea are another year established than us and yet both clubs have taken massive strides with their additions this season...

I'm not saying we need as many signings as them...but come on...we have been safe since April and have had more than enough time to get business done.

I am staggered that we can consider using Fox/ Hoiveld/ Fonte/ Guly around the first team...and have not upgraded in relevant positions

Defence - no cover at RB...only a rookie in Chambers which is worrying...sub standard LB Fox deputy for Shaw...Yoshida should be a squad player at best....Fonte and Hoiveld are both not good enough

Midfield - Very strong in def mid with Cork/Morgan/Wanyama...would argue Lallana is not a wide man and should be played through the middle...then past Ramirez and Puncheon...we only have Rodriguez who is a striker played out wide...definitely missing another winger with pace and tricks

Striker - One striker short here...crying out for a pacy front man as Lambert can sometimes make us one dimensional...top names have been mentioned but would be shocked if we pulled off Osvaldo or Damiao...this is probably the most critical signing for the club now

Disagree about goalkeeper, still think we need one more.

Disagree about goalkeeper, still think we need one more.

Really? We have 5 or 6 knocking about the place, Boruc Gazza and Davis are enough for first team, Cooper in the dev squad and thingy in the u18's (I assume there are 2 under 18's keepers but not 100% sure).

Any more and we'll just have unhappy players around the place again.

Goalkeeper - Probably only position we don't need anything doing - AGREE

Defence - no cover at RB...only a rookie in Chambers which is worrying...sub standard LB Fox deputy for Shaw...Yoshida should be a squad player at best....Fonte and Hoiveld are both not good enough - Chambers will be fine as backup. You'll get no one better than Fox who'll come here and sit on the bench playing second fiddle to an 18 year old. Yoshida was one of our most consistent performers last year and is perfectly good enough as a PL CB. Fonte and Hooiveld I do agree with however.

Midfield - Very strong in def mid with Cork/Morgan/Wanyama...would argue Lallana is not a wide man and should be played through the middle...then past Ramirez and Puncheon...we only have Rodriguez who is a striker played out wide...definitely missing another winger with pace and tricks - CM is extremely strong with our options there so that position is sorted. Re: Lallana, be it as a wide man or centre midfielder, he should not be in the starting XI at all. We have Isgrove who looks like he will be heavily involved this season and Puncheon was arguably our best attacking player last season during his prolonged run in the side. Gaston isn't a wide man so can't be judged but I feel he may be used RW more often this season. He was pretty dangerous in that role v Liverpool at home. Jay Rod can then be used upfront with Lambert in the no. 10 role so i feel attacking midfield wise, we're looking pretty strong.

Striker - One striker short here...crying out for a pacy front man as Lambert can sometimes make us one dimensional...top names have been mentioned but would be shocked if we pulled off Osvaldo or Damiao...this is probably the most critical signing for the club now - As I said above, Jay Rod will be used more as a central striker this season playing in and around Lambert like he did in the final few games of last season. Under Pochettino, he has rarely been isolated to the wide left role as he was under Adkins. But, like you, i feel this is single handedly the most critical transfer needed by the club this summer. Not just saying this to be different and get a reaction but I genuinely feel Lambert will struggle for goals this year and will struggle to get in the side the longer the season goes on.

See my thoughts in bold.

good post mate - its hard to follow this as its being debated on two seperate threads. Like you say the worry is that Fox/ Hoiveld/ Fonte/ Guly are still too close to our starting 11 and we are hoping that 2 or 3 youngsters come good.

I think signing just one more player - a striker - would be good but not good enough, we also need another CB and an out and out winger, preferably right footed. These additions would enable us to really compete inot the top 8.

hard to argue with most of that, although I think Jos and Fonte are fine as back up. I couldn't agree more about Yoshida. No idea why people rate him so much. Such a passive defender. He needs to improve greatly this season.

Overall I think there is talent in our squad and a degree of depth to the squad, but the whole Premiership could say the same. The key as always is how they play as a team. We couod add no one but get it togeter as a side and be top 10. We coud add four more players, but play as a disjointed bunch of individuals.

Really? We have 5 or 6 knocking about the place, Boruc Gazza and Davis are enough for first team, Cooper in the dev squad and thingy in the u18's (I assume there are 2 under 18's keepers but not 100% sure).

Any more and we'll just have unhappy players around the place again.

Send Gazza on loan, if Boruc gets injured we are in trouble as none of the others are up to it.

I think people are harsh on Gazza too.
they really aren't. He was terrible. He made one very good save against Newcastle which impressed us, but overall he made Ian Andrews stuff look solid and that's from somone that was at Loftus Road way back when. His display against Norwich was dreadful. Completely amaterish. If you can't line a wall up and then stand in the right place you have no business in a Premiership shirt. Adkins totally lost the plot playing him. His confidence was shot and it cost us points. It's a long way back from that IMO and I'd like to see him get 15 games elsewhere before he ever gets close to our first team again. Edited by Chez

Al this talk of getting another keeper in had me thinking about Cropper,has anyone seen him play? u20 USA keeper so he must be rated to some extent,what are his chances of pushing through into the 1st team at some point in the future??

Would be a good signing. Pretty sure Monk said a while back we had enquired. Sinclair plus a really decent striker would represent a superb window.

agree

another good striker plus sinclair, either on loan or longer term. would be great

Would be a good signing. Pretty sure Monk said a while back we had enquired. Sinclair plus a really decent striker would represent a superb window.

Jake did add a strange comment like he was celebrating something a couple of weeks ago.

Perhaps it's been on the cards for a while we are rubber stamping it?

Don't see that we need him, think Chambers has proven he is capable backup to Clyne. If Clyne's 'knock' turns out to be worse then it would make sense.

PL is far different from a couple of friendlies. Chambers has as yet proved nothing. We'll get a better idea next week against Celta.

Probably worth having a few quid on Sinclair to sign for us at 8/1 with sky bet. Interestingly the shortest odds on a player to sign for us that we've been linked with is still Ever Banega at 5/6 even though we've brought in big Vic

http://www.sportsdirectnews.com/premier-league/29007-southampton-transfers-saints-back-in-for-banega.php#.UfT1N0NCDoI.facebook

PL is far different from a couple of friendlies. Chambers has as yet proved nothing. We'll get a better idea next week against Celta.
What will we see in the Celta Vigo game that we didn't against Besiktas? Not much difference in terms of quality.

has anybody else noticed how quiet it is? even the itk chaps don't seem to have any nuggets of info.

personally, and i could be alone in this, i think we could still do with a winger and a striker (the latter doesn't need to cost 20 million as long as they provide a bit of competition).

ho hum.

has anybody else noticed how quiet it is? even the itk chaps don't seem to have any nuggets of info.

personally, and i could be alone in this, i think we could still do with a winger and a striker (the latter doesn't need to cost 20 million as long as they provide a bit of competition).

ho hum.

I too believe we could do with some good options to bring off the bench, however Mayuka, Chambers & Isgrove have proved we have that already within the squad.

Big question is, can we reach the next level Cortese is aiming for with them?

ho hum.

This kind of thinking warrants its own thread.

I too believe we could do with some good options to bring off the bench, however Mayuka, Chambers & Isgrove have proved we have that already within the squad.

Big question is, can we reach the next level Cortese is aiming for with them?

Give it a go and wait for the January window if they don't make the grade. I think at least one of them will be tops.

Newcastle have reportedly ended their chase for Bafetimbi Gomis. Would be a decent addition for us' date=' I'd have thought, if we can't get Damiao or Osvaldo.[/quote']

To be fair I've not seen too much of him but what I saw of him at the 2008 Euros he looked awful. Poor game intelligence, clumsy, with the touch of a rapist.

I think we should go for Remy instead. :uhoh:

Go for Remy, then it really will be the touch of a rapist ;)

Newcastle...Pardew knows all the drills for lads in trouble with the law. They've abandonned Gomis cos Lyon want too much and will no doubt sign Remy....His case will be dropped as likely as not (after he's paid up of course).

Newcastle...Pardew knows all the drills for lads in trouble with the law. They've abandonned Gomis cos Lyon want too much and will no doubt sign Remy....His case will be dropped as likely as not (after he's paid up of course).

In all seriousness, it would be a great signing for Newcastle especially if on loan.

The guy is a quality finisher, and even if convicted it's only a temporary move anyway.

Seems like a win-win from their point of view, and as you say, Pardew is used to managing his fair amount of bad boys.