Cortese 'Considering his position'

The Commodore

Do You Want Cortese to Stay?  

630 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Want Cortese to Stay?

That is what always happens on this forum. Who remembers the reaction when the Adkins sacking story first broke ha? Strange story this though, didn't see this coming at all.

Same here mate, bolt from the blue. Hopefully it'll be nipped in the bud, could be a power play from Cortese to persuade the Liebherr's to release more funds in the summer? Nothing at all to suggest this was on the cards, very worrying.

Maybe all those letters from St Marco etc have had an effect...

I hope MC doesn't leave, but if he does, Id like to see some posters on here faces when it dawns on them that have got what they wanted.

Edited by Marsdinho
My mistake!!!

Looks to be true then, weird. He's probably fallen out with the family!!!

Not sure what this means for us. We'll find out just how financially secure we are, I guess. Why can't we just have a dull/boring pre-season for once? This is now going to dominate the next 10 weeks.

Among other things, it probably means:

- that all plans regarding transfers are off,

- that we in a short space of time need to get someone in that knows how to run a football club,

- that our pre season will be a mess

- that the manager have to make new plans with a new chairman,

So exactly who are "the trust that owns the club" ?

When Markus died, his investments were transferred into a trust fund. I believe Katrina is the head on this trust fund.

There may be a general disagreement here, NC wants to stay with the current setup, but the Liebherrs now seen it as a perfect time to sell and triple their fathers investment in the football club. They could probably make 50-60m on the back of this now. Maybe NC doesn't want that to happen, hence loggerheads, but the Liebherrs will always come out on top as they control the overall share.

Could be an interesting, yet quite unsettling summer. How annoying. This will put a halt on any transfer dealings for the foreseeable, that's for sure.

I hope this isn't true. Cortese is the single most important person at the club. He has got all the big decisions right, and hasn't really got much wrong at all.

I personally think we should make our views about Cortese clear at the Stoke game. If we lose him, I'll fear for our future.

Perhaps he has finally had enough of the petty anti-Cortese sniping that a tiny (but often load and boorish) minority of the fan-base seem to relish.

I'm sure that's right.

He logs onto SWF everyday and cries his eyes out.

He's famously known to be incredibly thin-skinned.

I hope this isn't true. Cortese is the single most important person at the club. He has got all the big decisions right, and hasn't really got much wrong at all.

I personally think we should make our views about Cortese clear at the Stoke game. If we lose him, I'll fear for our future.

Perhaps he has finally had enough of the petty anti-Cortese sniping that a tiny (but often load and boorish) minority of the fan-base seem to relish.

Do you honestly believe a chairman of a football club earning north of £1m a year would give a f*ck what a few people say on an anonoymous internet forum about him?

Maybe all those letters from Sour Mash etc have had an effect...

I hope MC doesn't leave, but if he does, Id like to see some posters on here faces when it dawns on them that have got what they wanted.

What letters? Weird comment.

When Markus died, his investments were transferred into a trust fund. I believe Katrina is the head on this trust fund.

There may be a general disagreement here, NC wants to stay with the current setup, but the Liebherrs now seen it as a perfect time to sell and triple their fathers investment in the football club. They could probably make 50-60m on the back of this now. Maybe NC doesn't want that to happen, hence loggerheads, but the Liebherrs will always come out on top as they control the overall share.

Could be an interesting, yet quite unsettling summer. How annoying. This will put a halt on any transfer dealings for the foreseeable, that's for sure.

I think you are there or thereabouts - like you say there will be no transfer deals while all this is up in the air.

I think you are there or thereabouts - like you say there will be no transfer deals while all this is up in the air.

And we could be talking, all pre-season.......

what an annoying thing to happen, during a pre-season where we should be progressing.

Same here mate, bolt from the blue. Hopefully it'll be nipped in the bud, could be a power play from Cortese to persuade the Liebherr's to release more funds in the summer? Nothing at all to suggest this was on the cards, very worrying.

Well he's got a sunseeker, a nice watch and a couple of decent motors. What else would the CEO of a £70m business want? maybe a big house is Sandbanks or a private jet will convince him to stay on??

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22510420?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Nicola Cortese is considering his position as Southampton chairman amid talks to resolve differences with the trust that owns the club.The 44-year-old has overseen Southampton's rise from the foot of League One to the Premier League.

But, with the club having all but secured their position in the top flight, the focus has now shifted to Cortese's future at St Mary's.

It is understood Cortese will make a decision by the end of the month.

He is thought to be seeking guarantees over his future amid concerns that the Liebherr trust is contemplating a change to the way the club is run.

Cortese is currently allowed final approval on all major decisions at Southampton.

The Italian bought the club in 2009 on behalf of Markus Liebherr, a wealthy Swiss investor, to lift the club out of administration.

When Liebherr died in 2010, the club said "well-laid plans that Liebherr and Cortese mapped out over a year ago will continue to be implemented uninterrupted".

Southampton effectively secured their top-flight future with a 1-1 draw at Sunderland on Sunday. They only need to avoid an improbable margin of defeat at home to Stoke next week to stay up, although they will be safe if Wigan lose to Arsenal on Tuesday.

He is thought to be seeking guarantees over his future amid concerns that the Liebherr trust is contemplating a change to the way the club is run.

Basically, the Liebherr's are looking to sell.

Suggests the opposite IMO

Ha, seems people can read anything into it judging by our polar opposite reading of that article (not a criticism btw, just an observation).

I take that as they are changing how day to day it's run? Maybe they genuinly weren't happy with how business has been conducted over the last couple of years?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22510420

"He is thought to be seeking guarantees over his future amid concerns that the Liebherr trust is contemplating a change to the way the club is run."

Maybe they want more of a say in the way the club is ran? Or want a new structure and don't want him having the final say in everything?

Peronslally, to me, it means they're looking to sell. They may still hold some control, but it looks like they want to sell and let someone else run the club.

Doesn't sound like the Liebherrs want to pull out then does it? Love how everyone jumped to that conclusion.

This will get sorted I'm sure, Markus trusted NC completely and the family must know this. Probably just contractual posturing.

Lets just relax for now. If he goes we will get someone else but I don't think he will.

Peronslally, to me, it means they're looking to sell. They may still hold some control, but it looks like they want to sell and let someone else run the club.

How have you come to that conclusion? Literally nothing in the article remotely suggests that.

That is what always happens on this forum. Who remembers the reaction when the Adkins sacking story first broke ha? Strange story this though, didn't see this coming at all.

But there were plenty of stories that were absolute BS - all the stories about selling the club when we were in L1 that led Cortese to talk about 'dark forces'.

Those who focus on whether a story is positive or negative story are barking up the wrong tree. Ultimately, a story's veracity depends on the reputation of the journo/type of story. If a journo isn't willing be named on an article e.g. DM Sportsdeck or attribute statements to people or if the story is transfer-related where noise goes with the territory, its legitimate to have doubts.

Whether a story is good or bad is neither here, nor there.

I have heard from a couple of sources that Cortese does not see himself being in Southampton for a lengthy period (one suggested reason is that his wife has not settled too well here)

However I have always been reassured by comments he supposedly made about having other investors lined up to take the club forward.

I am not particularly keen on the way Cortese treats people in general but have to give him credit for guiding the club to the position it occupies at the moment.

Most of us were looking for more progress next year and this may well be prejudiced by uncertainty.

A period of stability would be nice but the portents don't seem to be that encouraging.

I posted a hypothetical question a week or so back asking whether the owners might now look to sell the club as a decent profit could be realised from the sale.

Perhaps the Liebherr family Trustees are, indeed, looking at this scenario.

Problem with this we just don't know who is out there looking to buy into a football club.

Just look at the chaos at Fratton Park caused by dodgy chancers.

Looks like it's definitely a real story. If the Beeb is to be believed, then it looks like the owners want someone else in to validate some of the decisions. Or of course, they could be looking to sell the club.

Probably not worth putting your fingers in your ears over this. However this is resolved, it'll have an impact on the club going forward.

Still a little concerned that we needed to borrow money at the beginning of the season.

Can only assume this is a clash between Cortese wanting to push on at a faster rate next year than the rate at which the Liebherrs are prepared to release funds from Markus' trust

Didn't someone (not a journo) say that the Liebherrs were upset with the way Cortese handled Adkin's firing?

How have you come to that conclusion? Literally nothing in the article remotely suggests that.

We're a PL team for next season

They can make 3, maybe 4 times what their Father bought the club for.

This club is now worth more than it ever has been.

There have been munblings that they've been looking to sell for a period of time.

Generally, I think they still want to keep some control - but I reckon they want to sell a portion of the club to another party, who will then have more of a say in how the club is run. As fun as running a football club was for Markus, it's not really their passion and I've had a feeling for a while that they kind of want to reduce their involvement.

That's how I see it anyway. Not solely based on that article, but everything that's happened over the last 18 months or so. From a business point of view, it's probably a no-brainer to sell this summer.

Can only assume this is a clash between Cortese wanting to push on at a faster rate next year than the rate at which the Liebherrs are prepared to release funds from Markus' trust

This would be my take on it, too

Or they want more of a say, want someone additional to have a say, or want less money to be spent? That they want to sell is just a guess at this stage.

100% this.....It would be like 9/11 times a thousand !!!!

Really? It's not like i've been mentioning that this was in the works for about a year, of course people here didn't believe me and called me a trouble maker...

I would be suprised if Cortese isn't attracting investors or raising finance to buy the club either individually (unlikely) or as part of a consortium he is key to (probably more likely). This would cause friction with the Liebherr's, so he's trying to force their hand a little with by using the press. It would be suprising for the Liebherr's to sell out to others waiting in the wings and cast aside Cortese mercilessly after the job he's done. Oh, hang on, hasn't that happened recently with someone else? No worries then, the new man / owners will do a better job. ;)