Cortese 'Considering his position'

The Commodore

Do You Want Cortese to Stay?  

630 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Want Cortese to Stay?

All sounds a bit ambiguous to me.

Changes may happen, but no-one seems to know, or at least no-one is saying what exactly those changes will entail.

Going to wait and see what comes out before jumping to any conclusions.

Personally think it would be a big loss to Saints if he was to leave. Not necessarily sure I agree with the Cortese is Saints chat, but I think he has been instrumental to our progress over the past few years, and will continue to be so in the immediate future. I certainly would not swap him for any other football chairman. I don't like or agree with everything he does, or the manner he does it in, but my word it is impossible to argue with his results or ambition.

Would certainly be hoping he is here for the long-haul.

maybe they are not happy with the court cases and the way suppliers and staff are treat??

Or the empty hospitality boxes and advertising hoarding? Or perhaps its payback for withdrawing the ST installment plan years ago? Or perhaps Cortese's radical plans to replace the ban on booking fees were a step too far.

Really? It's not like i've been mentioning that this was in the works for about a year, of course people here didn't believe me and called me a trouble maker...

as they do with anyone who says anything that they dont want to read.

On another tack, just how many PL clubs are there which have an actual Internal Management team of...

One.

We have the Academy Machine, but the Internal machinery? the kind of stuff run by an Andre Cowen or a COO.

Now we are a much bigger operation perhaps one side in this dicsussion sees it is time to improve areas where we are weak. The other doesn't like that.

All very strange and worrying.

Think I'll retire from reading the main board all week and go see if I can orders for more Pink Caps on TMS

Really? It's not like i've been mentioning that this was in the works for about a year, of course people here didn't believe me and called me a trouble maker...

So what's the issue then? What's the source of disagreement between the parties?

Most impressed that they managed to keep this quiet till our safety was assured.

Think how much more damaging this could have been if it had come out when relegation was still a real possibility.

Or the empty hospitality boxes and advertising hoarding? Or perhaps its payback for withdrawing the ST installment plan years ago? Or perhaps Cortese's radical plans to replace the ban on booking fees were a step too far.

Well if the article is true, which it seems to be and they are thinking about changing the day to day running of the club then it suggests they aren't happy with something and this would seem to be an area that is most obvious. I cant imagine the owners are happy with their name being dragged through the mud.

Saying the owners are looking to sell is taking a giant leap from that story.

For me either:-

- Cortese wants more cash to push on quickly next year and the owners don't want to invest as much.

or

- They want someone else to be involved in decision making and Cortese wants autonomy.

Not a good time for instability though when we are trying to get our signings in for next season.

Most impressed that they managed to keep this quiet till our safety was assured.

Think how much more damaging this could have been if it had come out when relegation was still a real possibility.

Really? Or is it now that safety is assured and it's now been leaked so Cortese can negotiate a better deal? bit of a coincidence that it comes out the day after we are safe.

If he goes it won't be anywhere near as bad as some of you are making out. He's merely someone who is employed to run the club, we'll just employ someone else and who knows, they could do an even better job.

So stop crying you bunch of bedwetters.

Nobody knows, but I would doubt there is a Chairman/Chief Exec of a football team in the UK that has done nearly as good a job as Cortese over the last 3 years. Like it or not, of the club employees he is the most important and most influential in our recent rise. 100%.

Saying the owners are looking to sell is taking a giant leap from that story.

For me either:-

- Cortese wants more cash to push on quickly next year and the owners don't want to invest as much.

or

- They want someone else to be involved in decision making and Cortese wants autonomy.

Why would Cortese come out with things like this

"Southampton is my baby"

"Southampton shall never get relegated under my tenure"

"We have a five year plan starting now with the aim and the end of that European football on a consistant basis"

if he did not have absolute control?

Perhaps, given that we are likely to spend big bucks to enhance the squad, the owners want to see more effective recruitment than the likes of Forren and Mayuka.

Could be they want a change to the transfer committee.

I would if it was my £.

as they do with anyone who says anything that they dont want to read.

Yes, because everything that we don't want to read/believe has been true. Obviously.

Lots of negative stories have appeared about Saints over the years. Not all of them have been true.

I'm taking a wait and see approach. Could well be that a journo has stuck his oar in during the middle of a negotiation that will work out fine, could be that we're about to have to weather a big storm, or anything in between.

I've heard from a very ITK source the Liebherrs are unhappy with the choice of pies currently available at St Marys and are now looking for a new man to take us onto the next level.

Perhaps, given that we are likely to spend big bucks to enhance the squad, the owners want to see more effective recruitment than the likes of Forren and Mayuka.

Could be they want a change to the transfer committee.

I would if it was my £.

I'd love it if that's all the issue was, sadly this has got the tone of something a lot more sinister.

Liebhers want Cortese out - some sort of rift -unlikelyish - but he could/would be replaced

Liebhers want the club to be more financially independent - they won't fund silly-money CL push - want to preserve financial viability/stability - possible; NC strops off.

Liebhers want out - I thought the Plan A exit strategy was always that NC would take over ownership, via his loadsamoney banking pals?

Maybe they are both bored? Good while it lasted, but the reality's dawning that despite booting our best manager for years and recruiting new Euro whizz-kid it will still be a very long and expensive road to take the club on to the next level.

SFC, never easy, never dull.

I take that as they are changing how day to day it's run? Maybe they genuinly weren't happy with how business has been conducted over the last couple of years?

Sounds to me like they will continue with their support but they don't like the way one of their employees is acting on a day to day basis. Potentially good news.

Yes, because everything that we don't want to read/believe has been true. Obviously.

Lots of negative stories have appeared about Saints over the years. Not all of them have been true.

I'm taking a wait and see approach. Could well be that a journo has stuck his oar in during the middle of a negotiation that will work out fine, could be that we're about to have to weather a big storm, or anything in between.

as you well know Jimmy, any postive story or rumour is greated with celebration any remotely neagtive one is immedaitely dismissed as bullhs*it.

Nobody knows, but I would doubt there is a Chairman/Chief Exec of a football team in the UK that has done nearly as good a job as Cortese over the last 3 years. Like it or not, of the club employees he is the most important and most influential in our recent rise. 100%.

You're right, he's the greatest football chairman in the history of soccerball. However will we cope without him.

Well if the article is true, which it seems to be and they are thinking about changing the day to day running of the club then it suggests they aren't happy with something and this would seem to be an area that is most obvious. I cant imagine the owners are happy with their name being dragged through the mud.

So potentially we will still be sticking to the vision that Markus had whilst changing how we operate on a day to day basis. Could be a very positive step and we sometimes need a refresh of new employees to bring in new blood and new ideas.

I've heard from a very ITK source the Liebherrs are unhappy with the choice of pies currently available at St Marys and are now looking for a new man to take us onto the next level.

I heard that the final straw was when Nicola said he would defend the claims made by Benali rigorously, then didn't.

Why would Cortese come out with things like this

"Southampton is my baby"

"Southampton shall never get relegated under my tenure"

"We have a five year plan starting now with the aim and the end of that European football on a consistant basis"

if he did not have absolute control?

No. I think he has autonomy now, and the owners want to maybe change that to more of board system with people in control of different areas. Maybe we are looking to spend some serious cash this summer and they are worried that one guy has complete say on it.

He's really looked ****ed off over the past 6 games when the cameras have zoomed in on him during games. Maybe they're holding back on the Transfer Chest and unprepared to spend out more based on recent results.

it might be something to do with the results in some of those games.......?

If he goes it won't be anywhere near as bad as some of you are making out. He's merely someone who is employed to run the club, we'll just employ someone else and who knows, they could do an even better job.

So stop crying you bunch of bedwetters.

Peter Storrie is available - problem solved

Things are fragile in football. He's clearly the ambition, even if decisions are unpopular. If he goes, there'd be a lot of uncertainty. Perhaps he's realised his plans are too ambitious and while we could easily become a good mid-table side, beyond that is very tough?

Matthew Le God won't like that...

Liebhers want Cortese out - some sort of rift -unlikelyish - but he could/would be replaced

Liebhers want the club to be more financially independent - they won't fund silly-money CL push - want to preserve financial viability/stability - possible; NC strops off.

Liebhers want out - I thought the Plan A exit strategy was always that NC would take over ownership, via his loadsamoney banking pals?

Maybe they are both bored? Good while it lasted, but the reality's dawning that despite booting our best manager for years and recruiting new Euro whizz-kid it will still be a very long and expensive road to take the club on to the next level.

SFC, never easy, never dull.

So Cortese was lying about investment for Champions League? We need to invest millions or at least the same as others going for it, Liverpool. Everton and Spurs, were we ever going to invest as much or more than them?

No and we never were and its a pipe dream to even imagine so.

maybe they dont like the idea of things like turning down any and all offers for players like Morgan, and would like to consider big offers for our players. Hence the change from Cortese having final say on everything

Could make a major change to Cortese plans for european dominaton, hence considering his future

I would be suprised if Cortese isn't attracting investors or raising finance to buy the club either individually (unlikely) or as part of a consortium he is key to (probably more likely). This would cause friction with the Liebherr's, so he's trying to force their hand a little with by using the press. It would be suprising for the Liebherr's to sell out to others waiting in the wings and cast aside Cortese mercilessly after the job he's done. Oh, hang on, hasn't that happened recently with someone else? No worries then, the new man / owners will do a better job. ;)

I have been long of the opinion that NC will own the club one day, this is his pension... When the BVI loan came through my suspicion was that NC was buying back some of the Liebherr equity.

The Leibherrs are stakeholders of Southampton City, not just the football club, so I would hope that any movement or change is handled professionally... I have no reason to think it wouldnt.

It would be a shame to lose either the Liebherrs of NC, though personally I see NC as the most important part here as a PL CEO... ho many others share my view that NC is more important than the Liebherr family now?

RIP Marcus

No. I think he has autonomy now, and the owners want to maybe change that to more of board system with people in control of different areas. Maybe we are looking to spend some serious cash this summer and they are worried that one guy has complete say on it.

this is my thought process as well

just hope it all ends up ok in the end

Cortese has made single minded, single handed decisions over this club. People may not have liked the Adkins approach but in reality it allowed a manager to take over immediately (no limbo, caretaker bull****) and ultimately probably saved some points in the transition (look at Reading for how not to do it).

I suspect the governance of the club is being questioned primarily because this asset is now worth a lot more than it was when that control was granted. Whether or not the emails that a few sent to the 'owners' (there was a thread on here a couple of days ago) have any bearing on this is anyone's guess. Either way, Cortese is unhappy that there is an attempt to dilute his authority hence the news of considering position.

Personally I think Cortese is an important part of the project and, as has been said, it will disrupt preparations if he is in limbo or off. I've worked with several CEO's of different styles and two things occur to me:

- Most are single minded

- The best ones are bastards.

I'd much rather have someone who makes decisions than someone who doesn't or having a board to hide behind; but then it's not my $XXm asset on the line. I hope he stays.

I have been long of the opinion that NC will own the club one day, this is his pension... When the BVI loan came through my suspicion was that NC was buying back some of the Liebherr equity.

The Leibherrs are stakeholders of Southampton City, not just the football club, so I would hope that any movement or change is handled professionally... I have no reason to think it wouldnt.

It would be a shame to lose either the Liebherrs of NC, though personally I see NC as the most important part here as a PL CEO... ho many others share my view that NC is more important than the Liebherr family now?

RIP Marcus

LMFAO. That's worthy of a location change.

Whats wrong with his buying capabilty?

Mayuka

Ramirez

Guly.....................

maybe they are not happy with the court cases and the way suppliers and staff are treat??

And Adkins mishandling, and Benali, and the media spats and all the unnecessary and avoidable crap. Remember ML was a bit of a philanthropist, in part drawn to Saints by the history, community links in St Mary's etc. He wanted to revitalise the whole area as well as the club - not stitch up local suppliers and fall out with ex players.