Cortese 'Considering his position'

The Commodore

Do You Want Cortese to Stay?  

630 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Want Cortese to Stay?

Sorry to put a dampner on the "the-we're-staying-up-celebrations-or-commiserations-if-you're-alpine". However, there's a lengthy article in the times football section page 14 that states that the club have been unable to reach an agreement to secure cortese's future for next season!

The final sentence says. If he goes this summer it would leave a gaping hole that saints would find hard to fill! That would be a bummer!

Jimmy D Edit:

BBC Story:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22510420

Edited by Jimmy_D
Add BBC link to OP

It's behind a paywall, and at the bottom of this article, http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/football/article3763094.ece

It reads:

Southampton should be feeling optimistic. Yesterday’s point away to Sunderland effectively removed the threat of relegation and performances since the appointment of Mauricio Pochettino as manager in January have pointed to good days ahead.

However, there are issues in the boardroom. Nicola Cortese, the executive chairman, and the trust that owns the club have been unable to reach an agreement to secure the 44-year-old’s future at the club for next season. Cortese has driven Southampton’s revival from League One to the Premier League since he bought the club for Markus Liebherr, the late Swiss industrialist, four years ago.

Cortese remade the club in his own image, making a few enemies but winning admiration from other top-flight owners. If he goes this summer, it would leave a gaping hole that Southampton would find hard to fill. [/Quote]

My understanding from a rumour with an equal probability of having as much substance as this one, was that if The Liebherrs decided to pull out, then Cortese would have others of equal stature to take over from them.

To have any real validity, this story would have to come from either Cortese or the Liebherrs and I don't believe that either party would have spoken about this to anybody in the media.

he is the club. The owners have nothing to do with the running of it, apparently

Just cant see how he cant secure his own services

They'd most likely have to sign off on his salary.

Maybe the trustees or cortese are using this to flush out interest from potential buyers?

Maybe the trustees don't like cortese as much as Marcus did

Maybe cortese doesn't like the trustees as much as he liked Marcus

Maybe cortese wants more funds for a European push but the trustees aren't going to release more

Maybe an agreement is very close but just needs a few tweaks

Maybe cortese has a buyer lined up

Maybe the trustees have a buyer lined up

Maybe something else

He's really looked ****ed off over the past 6 games when the cameras have zoomed in on him during games. Maybe they're holding back on the Transfer Chest and unprepared to spend out more based on recent results.

Maybe the trustees or cortese are using this to flush out interest from potential buyers?

Maybe the trustees don't like cortese as much as Marcus did

Maybe cortese doesn't like the trustees as much as he liked Marcus

Maybe cortese wants more funds for a European push but the trustees aren't going to release more

Maybe an agreement is very close but just needs a few tweaks

Maybe cortese has a buyer lined up

Maybe the trustees have a buyer lined up

Maybe something else

Maybe...

(It's "Markus" btw ;) )

Yeah. Let's look at this.

Hi I want a new contract for next year.

Well OK, have we guaranteed that we will be in the PL next season?

Uh not yet.

Well, why don't we wait until after the Sunderland game so we know what our income will be next year and then we can make the right offer.

Yeah that's a good idea. I'll give you a call to set up a meeting on Monday then.

= No deal agreed to keep him at Saints

Damn fine Journalism there again

Tony Evans is a superb Sports editor and has unbelievable contacts. However having a contact as high up at Saints as to know about this would be something else considering our "closed shop" approach.

Would be (personally) quite amusing if NC leaked it himself to get his pay signed off next season considering his history with the National Press though :)

I seriously doubt that though. For the record basically Cortese can do no wrong with me, think he's been brilliant for a club and a major part of our progress up the leagues. Love his uncompromising attitude, seems like he'd fight for us under whatever circumstances. However.... There are already those on here that are saying this is completely made up, shoddy journalism etc. This story would have to have been double checked so it's true, the fact that Tony has put his name to it just confirms that even more.

Hopefully it will be sorted quickly and quietly, which I have every faith it will be. Just like the players contracts we get sown up, on that note maybe Cortese is just holding out for a new watch and his contract to be reprinted on blue paper?

Hopefully it will all be sorted. Goes against what the likes of Morgan et al have said when signing a contract about the plans that Nicola has.

Cortese's plans are irrelevant though if he and the owners can't agree terms.

Some rather large assumptions being made about a throwaway comment at the bottom of a report. If it was an article in itself, maybe something to be concerned about, but even the reporter barely thinks it's news.

As I thought, Tony's got this bang on by the looks of things. Seriously, don't dismiss stuff you see in papers purely because you don't like what you're hearing. The guys on The Times Sports desk double and triple check everything, especially something involving a "sensitive" character like Cortese and this is highly likely to have come from a very senior source at Saints or the Liebherr family/ organisation and confirmed by a 2nd senior source.

I don't like the idea of of it but you can't ignore it.

Interested to see the BBC article in a minute.

Looks to be true then, weird. He's probably fallen out with the family!!!

Not sure what this means for us. We'll find out just how financially secure we are, I guess. Why can't we just have a dull/boring pre-season for once? This is now going to dominate the next 10 weeks.

My understanding from a rumour with an equal probability of having as much substance as this one, was that if The Liebherrs decided to pull out, then Cortese would have others of equal stature to take over from them.

To have any real validity, this story would have to come from either Cortese or the Liebherrs and I don't believe that either party would have spoken about this to anybody in the media.

You said the rumours of adkins being sacked were bul*s8it as well didnt you les, as well as the stories from Nixon about our transfer business. Your track record in seperating what is true and what is bulls8it isnt very good is it.

Tony Evans is a superb Sports editor and has unbelievable contacts. However having a contact as high up at Saints as to know about this would be something else considering our "closed shop" approach.

Would be (personally) quite amusing if NC leaked it himself to get his pay signed off next season considering his history with the National Press though :)

I seriously doubt that though. For the record basically Cortese can do no wrong with me, think he's been brilliant for a club and a major part of our progress up the leagues. Love his uncompromising attitude, seems like he'd fight for us under whatever circumstances. However.... There are already those on here that are saying this is completely made up, shoddy journalism etc. This story would have to have been double checked so it's true, the fact that Tony has put his name to it just confirms that even more.

Hopefully it will be sorted quickly and quietly, which I have every faith it will be. Just like the players contracts we get sown up, on that note maybe Cortese is just holding out for a new watch and his contract to be reprinted on blue paper?

Agree- reckon its close to the truth. Editors and leader writers who put their names to things have to be doubly sure their stories hold water as the reputational damage of getting things wrong is much greater for the paper.

I hope this isn't true. Cortese is the single most important person at the club. He has got all the big decisions right, and hasn't really got much wrong at all.

I personally think we should make our views about Cortese clear at the Stoke game. If we lose him, I'll fear for our future.

Perhaps he has finally had enough of the petty anti-Cortese sniping that a tiny (but often load and boorish) minority of the fan-base seem to relish.

don't dismiss stuff you see in papers purely because you don't like what you're hearing. .
That is what always happens on this forum. Who remembers the reaction when the Adkins sacking story first broke ha? Strange story this though, didn't see this coming at all.

Agree- reckon its close to the truth. Editors and leader writers who put their names to things have to be doubly sure their stories hold water as the reputational damage of getting things wrong is much greater for the paper.

Absolutely true. Especially after being stung by going ahead with one of his staffers Qatari "Dream League" story a few months ago and his apology following on from that.