Cortese 'Considering his position'

The Commodore

Do You Want Cortese to Stay?  

630 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Want Cortese to Stay?

As with all these stories, the key to them is the source.

Who gave the journalist the info, and what were his motivations for doing so?

If you could find that out, you would be more than halfway to unravelling it.

Was it a leak from Cortese for his own ends? Unlikely, as he doesn't really deal with the media.

Did it come from somebody inside the club? If so, who? At what level are they? If it's a director, what's his reason for doing so? Is it malice, mischief? What's his agenda?

Is it somebody from the football side?

Did it come from Switzerland? Have the family leaked it for their own reasons, to undermine Cortese?

The only person who can answer this is the author of the piece, and like any good journo, he won't reveal his sources.

Would it? Why?

The club's value is likely to grow even further in the coming years.

It COULD grow, or it could spend millions trying to get into Europe and still end up relegated in massive debt.

With the new TV money secured now could be the best time to sell if that is what they were looking to do.

Think it's the other way around. There are potentially lots of rich backers out there, but changing the man involved in the day to day running when things have been going well is far more disruptive. The ambition is there, the manager was his choice and they seem to interact daily and share ambitions. NC has said if the money wasn't there he knows people who'd come in and back him anyway.

If he's gone you risk a complete change in the day to day running and strategy.

Maybe I just fear the Blackburn model of decision making.

Where do you get that idea from? No organisation should be overly reliant on one individual anyway.

And Adkins mishandling, and Benali, and the media spats and all the unnecessary and avoidable crap. Remember ML was a bit of a philanthropist, in part drawn to Saints by the history, community links in St Mary's etc. He wanted to revitalise the whole area as well as the club - not stitch up local suppliers and fall out with ex players.

exactly this. A lot of people are dimissing all this sort of stuff as being irrevelant but it certainly wont be irrelevant to an organisation that pride itself on its good name. If they're wanting to improve this side of things and want to bring someone in or take this side of things away from Cortese then it can only be a good thing. Regardless of people on here thinking it doesn't matter it's about the reputation of the club which also reflects on the families name.

Nobody knows, but I would doubt there is a Chairman/Chief Exec of a football team in the UK that has done nearly as good a job as Cortese over the last 3 years. Like it or not, of the club employees he is the most important and most influential in our recent rise. 100%.

I'd think the people in charge of Swansea and Norwich would disagree with your assessment. In a week's time Brighton fans might do as well.

No. I think he has autonomy now, and the owners want to maybe change that to more of board system with people in control of different areas. Maybe we are looking to spend some serious cash this summer and they are worried that one guy has complete say on it.

A good, plausible explanation, as is that the club is up for sale.

Whichever, it looks like next season is f**ked before we even finish this one. You can bet your bottom dollar the first thing out of the window due to this uncertainty is layouts on big transfer fees.

Would it? Why?

The club's value is likely to grow even further in the coming years.

I'm not sure that is quite true. We are a Premier league team, with fairly predictable revenues, that aren't likely to change significantly over the next five years. To force any major changes over revenue, would mean qualifying for the Champions league, which would require in excess of 100 million investment, which even then would be a huge gamble. Whatever we are worth now, as long as we remain in the premier, is probably what we will be worth for the foreseeable future.

Whichever, it looks like next season is f**ked before we even finish this one. You can bet your bottom dollar the first thing out of the window due to this uncertainty is layouts on big transfer fees.

Big fanny

You don't know how long the uncertainty is going to last. It may be settled quickly, before transfer dealing really gets going.

Big fanny

We've been led to beleive the club is close to closing some early deals. These will not now take place, and the players involved will be snapped up elsewhere. I stand by my comment for next season. Everything will stop or be severely delayed until this is resolved.

Well now I've seen that the BBC also thinks this is a story I'm prepared to consider it a bit more.

Difficult to know how to take this, or which side has leaked the info, or what the bone of contention is, or what the issue might be, or whether anyone wants to sell the club, or not invest enough, or whatever. The one thing I am sure of is that if Cortese got moved on, the Liebherrs know plenty of competent people just as qualified as Cortese was to run a football club. But they may not wish to be involved at all.

Until more information comes out everything other than "Cortese considering position" is speculation.

Go and paint some more bed sheets.

exactly this. A lot of people are dimissing all this sort of stuff as being irrevelant but it certainly wont be irrelevant to an organisation that pride itself on its good name. If they're wanting to improve this side of things and want to bring someone in or take this side of things away from Cortese then it can only be a good thing. Regardless of people on here thinking it doesn't matter it's about the reputation of the club which also reflects on the families name.

Anyone would think that treating customers with respect was an important element of running a business, or something.

LMFAO. That's worthy of a location change.

Im glad you are amused with my question, maybe you could tell natsiedoodia! Do you think there is a chance NC will seize control of the club one day? I have always believed that scenario is entirely plausible.

maybe they dont like the idea of things like turning down any and all offers for players like Morgan, and would like to consider big offers for our players. Hence the change from Cortese having final say on everything

Could make a major change to Cortese plans for european dominaton, hence considering his future

That's my guess when i read it. Trust doesn't want to spend a whole world of money and make the club live within it's means. Meaning we would sell the likes of Ramirez, Shaw and Morgan for good money and not overpay on signings. Which NC doesn't like as he wants investment and a push to the next level as he's an ambitious fella

I hope that's not right as if it is we aren't getting anywhere near the CL (not that we were anyhow)

Im glad you are amused with my question, maybe you could tell natsiedoodia! Do you think there is a chance NC will seize control of the club one day? I have always believed that scenario is entirely plausible.

I don't talk to Natasha anymore. She lives in Bristol.

Alex Goring Crook ‏@alex_crook 5m

@Bunkybowers you are correct but it is more what this symbolises. The issue is Cortese wants to spend big to improve team and owners dont

So in effect, if this theory is true, the party is over.

The only way our progress will continue is if the Liebherr family are happy with the return and task NC with the sale of the club to owners willing to spend.

Am I worried? Of course.

Will he leave? No chance. He will do everything he can to see the job through here IMO. He's put his reputation on the line with the big decisions he's made.

Overall, I think it's a ploy from Cortese to keep control and get more funds and show what he means to the fans. I know some can't stand him but 98% of Saints fans will be gutted to see him go.

Anyone would think that treating customers with respect was an important element of running a business, or something.

Bit more than complicated than that. Who's the customer? Or are we talking stakeholders?

The Cortese chant was ringing loud and clear up at Sunderland yesterday. Some would say they were the most passionate and committed 'customers'...

That's my guess when i read it. Trust doesn't want to spend a whole world of money and make the club live within it's means. Meaning we would sell the likes of Ramirez, Shaw and Morgan for good money and not overpay on signings. Which NC doesn't like as he wants investment and a push to the next level as he's an ambitious fella

I hope that's not right as if it is we aren't getting anywhere near the CL (not that we were anyhow)

Good. I want to see the club spend what it can afford, not overstretch itself chasing some impossible dream. It appears that the Trust could have a degree of realism and that should help to secure our future over the longterm rather than the short term like the skates.

I tend to agree with the below posted on "not606":

"It appears that Ben Smith, who interviewed Cortese a week or two ago is leading the story. Says it will be up on BBC sport website soon.

In which case, Cortese said it to Smith in that interview and both held back releasing it until after yesterdays' result.

BRINKMANSHIP"

Question is, what is he playing for? More cash or something bigger?

@Bunkybowers you are correct but it is more what this symbolises. The issue is Cortese wants to spend big to improve team and owners dont

no no no! Far more likely cos he didn't clean frannys windows or whatever! Liebherrs hate that sort of stain on their reputations. + windows.

If Cortese doesn't come out with a a denial on the story in the next few days then you can safely consider the story has been leaked by him and that he is putting pressure on the owners to change their stance on the future direction of the club.

I know some can't stand him but 98% of Saints fans will be gutted to see him go.

98% of fans are worried that we need him as he is supposedly the gatekeeper to the Liebherr's money and support. Im not sure that's true, his current unbridled control of Saints may actually be a block to it.

Am I worried? Of course.

Will he leave? No chance. He will do everything he can to see the job through here IMO. He's put his reputation on the line with the big decisions he's made.

Overall, I think it's a ploy from Cortese to keep control and get more funds and show what he means to the fans. I know some can't stand him but 98% of Saints fans will be gutted to see him go.

What if there aren't any more funds though? We're assuming all this because the family are billionaires, but this club doesn't have access to anywhere near that amount of money and never will.

Another way to swing it, possibly, is that NC met some with investors who were willing to put money into it - he put that forward to the family, who then refused, as they had their own plans.

As with all these stories, the key to them is the source.

Who gave the journalist the info, and what were his motivations for doing so?

If you could find that out, you would be more than halfway to unravelling it.

Was it a leak from Cortese for his own ends? Unlikely, as he doesn't really deal with the media.

Did it come from somebody inside the club? If so, who? At what level are they? If it's a director, what's his reason for doing so? Is it malice, mischief? What's his agenda?

Is it somebody from the football side?

Did it come from Switzerland? Have the family leaked it for their own reasons, to undermine Cortese?

The only person who can answer this is the author of the piece, and like any good journo, he won't reveal his sources.

Spot on. The devil is in the detail, but it's a detail we're unlikely to discover until after the event, if at all.

Maybe the owners thought that spending £30m would get them more than a nervous, final week draw for safety. Especially as our record signing provided such little impact. I'm guessing they're getting nervous. There are no guarantees in football.

I tend to agree with the below posted on "not606":

"It appears that Ben Smith, who interviewed Cortese a week or two ago is leading the story. Says it will be up on BBC sport website soon.

In which case, Cortese said it to Smith in that interview and both held back releasing it until after yesterdays' result.

BRINKMANSHIP"

Question is, what is he playing for? More cash or something bigger?

Has any of that interview been released? Not seen it.

Mark Reeves‏@markreeves999

@gregvul @BenSmithBBC sounds like empty threats, just to get what he wants/needs

Ben Smith‏@BenSmithBBC

@markreeves999 @gregvul promise you these are not empty threats. Anything but

So what is Nicola saying then? Allow me to spend more of your money or I will leave?

Exactly this. After watching the dignity and gratitude shown by Everton and Man U over the weekend towards their managers and the dignity and gratitude returned to those clubs by their managers, I cannot help thinking that the Liebherrs would want that sort of image for SFC.

After all, the rest of their business philosophy seem to be based on those values, and sadly Mr. Cortese's seem to be based on the polar opposites.

Exactly this. After watching the dignity and gratitude shown by Everton and Man U over the weekend towards their managers and the dignity and gratitude returned to those clubs by their managers, I cannot help thinking that the Liebherrs would want that sort of image for SFC.

After all, the rest of their business philosophy seem to be based on those values, and sadly Mr. Cortese's seem to be based on the polar opposites.

Everton and to an extent United are the clubs we were (guffaw) supposed to be emulating, the issue is to do so we need to spend an awful lot of money, it really is that obvious, without that money we wont get anywhere near it.