Frickson Erazo

dubai_phil

Similar to saying you'd rather have Forster than Hooper.

Which I have never said, certainly not recently and certainly not as a comparison.

By referencing th costs of Erazo and Wanyama, Buctootim was clearly comparing them which is pointless as they are different positions.

Anyway, he is a highly rated player, experienced yet only 25 and for about 3m is not too much of a gamble.

Edited by Saint Charlie

I remain generally unconvinced by transfers from certain countries/cultures. Imo S. American transfers do not work for us (Ramirez another case in point), whereas Scandinavian transfers have generally been successful. I dont know why that is, and ifts a specific issue related to us.

Could it be as simple as weather ? Or that Southampton is too far of the beaten track for the bigger cities and their more cosmpolitan lifestyle ? Who knows ?

The words stereotyping and generalizing come to mind here.

http://www.barcenet.com/noticia/

As anticipated in recent days, Frickson Erazo be lowered Barcelona template to migrate to English football that came flirting since early this year. The defending Idol Shipyard 'meets his employer, Orlando Villareal, deciding the best destination for their future.

The player Esmeraldas has formal offer of Southampton in England who, to crystallize the transfer, get his second signing in this market after signing the midfielder Billy Sharp from the Nottingham Forest.

The price of the transfer amount to $ 3.8 million in a deal that aims to be the second major economic boost to the coffers of the 'Toreros' having skinny as illustrated finance audits.

May be an old link or they may just not have a clue...

Hmmm:

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/21572450

From last week's postbag;

In the last couple of weeks Ecuadorian centre-back Frickson Erazo has been linked to Real Madrid and Manchester United. I was wondering: is he really that good? At 24 he must surely be good enough to strengthen the club's squad if they are interested in him. I also heard that he is an elegant but slow defender. From your opinion what are his strengths and weaknesses on the pitch?

Leocheck Pardish

It's very hard to believe that clubs of this calibre are really interested in Fricson Erazo - of Barcelona, so he will face Boca on Wednesday. He has a fair left foot and has moments of elegance, but he's very vulnerable defensively, with a centre of gravity somewhere near his neck. He's also not good at cutting out crosses played behind the defensive line. Indeed, Boca's best hope on Wednesday is the fact that Jairo Campos, Barcelona's best defender, is out with a long-term injury.

Hmmm:

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/21572450

From last week's postbag;

In the last couple of weeks Ecuadorian centre-back Frickson Erazo has been linked to Real Madrid and Manchester United. I was wondering: is he really that good? At 24 he must surely be good enough to strengthen the club's squad if they are interested in him. I also heard that he is an elegant but slow defender. From your opinion what are his strengths and weaknesses on the pitch?

Leocheck Pardish

It's very hard to believe that clubs of this calibre are really interested in Fricson Erazo - of Barcelona, so he will face Boca on Wednesday. He has a fair left foot and has moments of elegance, but he's very vulnerable defensively, with a centre of gravity somewhere near his neck. He's also not good at cutting out crosses played behind the defensive line. Indeed, Boca's best hope on Wednesday is the fact that Jairo Campos, Barcelona's best defender, is out with a long-term injury.

That answer comes from Tim Vickery who seems to know his South American football.

Which I have never said, certainly not recently and certainly not as a comparison.

By referencing th costs of Erazo and Wanyama, Buctootim was clearly comparing them which is pointless as they are different positions.

Anyway, he is a highly rated player, experienced yet only 25 and for about 3m is not too much of a gamble.

I wasn't saying you said it chief don't worry ;)

Sounds excellent and compared to Garay at Benfica. At £2.5M, it could be a sensible gamble to add top competition at the back.

This. Rather than keep spending 10m on players, sometimes a gem does come along at 2.5m, sounds a highly rated player and the sort of commanding presence that would compliment Lovren. At worst he has to be better than Jos

Completely different position pal.

Brilliant insight from you as always........

Just to simplify things so they're easier to grasp. Both are players Saints are interested in. As a potential transfer to Saints I think that Erazo is a better move than Wanyama. Is that okay now?

Brilliant insight from you as always........

Just to simplify things so they're easier to grasp. Both are players Saints are interested in. As a potential transfer to Saints I think that Erazo is a better move than Wanyama. Is that okay now?

Thanks, I understand now. Any reason you prefer Erazo? Apart from the fact he is cheaper?

I remain generally unconvinced by transfers from certain countries/cultures. Imo S. American transfers do not work for us (Ramirez another case in point), whereas Scandinavian transfers have generally been successful. I dont know why that is, and ifts a specific issue related to us.

Could it be as simple as weather ? Or that Southampton is too far of the beaten track for the bigger cities and their more cosmpolitan lifestyle ? Who knows ?

Or could be the players we sign from the places are either ****e, Gash and crap or honest, hardworking and good players?

Thanks, I understand now. Any reason you prefer Erazo? Apart from the fact he is cheaper?

Even if the fees were closer in amount I think Erazo is far more proven (established international in a FIFA ranked top 10 team) so less of a risk than Wanyama who has only ever shone at a lower level and for a short period of time. When you factor in the huge difference in transfer fee and the money related spat with his agents it becomes no contest imo. Thats not to say he wont prove to be worth the pricetag eventually but its mighty risk as a lot of his value is in potential which may or may not materialise.

NB also we clearly light in quality at the back, if not numbers. Fonte and Jos are marginal at this level. Yoshida is okay, Forren unproven. By contrast midfield is already our strongest area.

Edited by buctootim

Even if the fees were closer in amount I think Erazo is far more proven (established international in a team ranked one place below England) so less of a risk than Wanyama who has only ever shone at a lower level and for a short period of time. When you factor in the huge difference in transfer fee and the money related spat with his agents it becomes no contest imo. Thats not to say he wont prove to be worth the pricetag eventually but its mighty risk as a lot of his value is in potential which may or may not materialise.

NB also we clearly light in quality at the back, if not numbers. Fonte and Jos are marginal at this level. Yoshida is okay, Forren unproven. By contrast midfield is already our strongest area.

Fair enough. Would disagree re experience myself. Wanyama has probably had exposure to a higher level than Erazo. Champions League for one.

Also midfield as a whole is strong, but not the deep lying position which neither Davis nor JWP are suited to. We definitely need another strong defensive midfielder for me.

By the sound of it you never saw Ekelund play and are just relying on stats. He was excellent for us, but had an issue with his back and couldn't agree with the club the best way to manage it.

And he was only on loan so other than wages it cost us nothing. Uncanny understanding between him and MLT.

Much as I massively praise MP and NC for some early, good proactive and positive action (as I have screamed for every year, even better since it is regarding the defence..), somebody needs to point out to them that Ecuadorians and Saints do not mix....

Does anyone at least know what his birthday is ?

Are you damning a whole countrys footballers based on one player? (OK 2 if you include Kelber Chala too)!

Edited by Saint Without a Halo

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/10514033._/

Daily Echo doesn't think we have made any concrete offers for Erazo, despite what his agent has been saying on Ecuadorian radio.

The Daily Echo also claim in that article that Federico Arias is Ecuadorian (he is from Argentina). So not the most reliable of Daily Echo articles.

The club have history with Ecuadorian players, having signed three in the past.

The first of those was the infamous Agustin Delgado, the £4m striker who suffered from knee injuries and often returned home to Ecuador for treatment, much to the bafflement of manager Gordon Strachan, who once claimed he had a yogurt to eat that was important to him than his player.

Delgado’s cousin, Kleber Chala, joined at the same time but never managed to get a first team appearance.

The third Ecuadorian to join Saints was ‘The Torpedo’ Federico Arias.

Would be a very good buy. Watched some videos of him and he does look rather good. Would really welcome him at Saints. But have me made a bid for him yet? As MOsaint has said it doesn't look like it from the daily echo.

I hadn't realised that there was another football club called Barcelona, the one in Ecuador. Their name was inspired by the Spanish club when they were formed and their crest is almost identical too.

Agustin Delgado played for them I believe.

Would be a very good buy. Watched some videos of him and he does look rather good. Would really welcome him at Saints. But have me made a bid for him yet? As MOsaint has said it doesn't look like it from the daily echo.

I think we probably have asked his club how much they would want for him, now know his price and then will decide at some stage if we want to move ahead with it.

Would expect that is generally how it works and how a lot of rumours get into the press. Enquiring if not the same as making an offer.

I personally feel we are now ok in that position. Others will differ from my view here. We have Dejan Lovren and offcourse Vegard Forren/Yoshida as our firstchoice now. I feel they can and will strike up a great understanding with each other. Yes Forren isn't tested yet in the premiership but as pointed out before he was signed for this season. Claus has gone on record saying he is there best defender by a mile, so there has to be something in it for us to have signed the guy. Also Fonte, Hooiveld is good back up, but I think at least 1 of them will be sold on in the summer. Hooiveld adapted more and more as the season went on after a shocking start. Fonte didn't have much of a look in, but kept Yoshida out for what was the last 3 or 4 games I believe. So that's 5 CBs. If we were to sign another one it would have to be in the quality again of Dejan Lovren, otherwise I see it as a waste, where we could strengthen other areas of the team with real quality. Looking forward to seeing what happens. ps I forgot we have Aaron Martin too but sadly the guy is way down the pecking order and would be better leaving to get first team football. Funny that as I can remember a lot of us [me included] saying he was the future captain of the club. How things change, and if he goes I wish him all the best. But having said this I would sign the Ecuadorian as he looks class. In the dejan lovren mould as I have said. One of fonte of hooiveld would have to be offloaded though.. EDIT: Just read this post back and it does not make sense lol In a quick format I would only sign the guy if we offloaded others. Better? lol

Edited by peacey

I personally feel we are now ok in that position. Others will differ from my view here. We have Dejan Lovren and offcourse Vegard Forren/Yoshida as our firstchoice now. I feel they can and will strike up a great understanding with each other. Yes Forren isn't tested yet in the premiership but as pointed out before he was signed for this season. Claus has gone on record saying he is there best defender by a mile, so there has to be something in it for us to have signed the guy. Also Fonte, Hooiveld is good back up, but I think at least 1 of them will be sold on in the summer. Hooiveld adapted more and more as the season went on after a shocking start. Fonte didn't have much of a look in, but kept Yoshida out for what was the last 3 or 4 games I believe. So that's 5 CBs. If we were to sign another one it would have to be in the quality again of Dejan Lovren, otherwise I see it as a waste, where we could strengthen other areas of the team with real quality. Looking forward to seeing what happens. ps I forgot we have Aaron Martin too but sadly the guy is way down the pecking order and would be better leaving to get first team football. Funny that as I can remember a lot of us [me included] saying he was the future captain of the club. How things change, and if he goes I wish him all the best.

Completely agree with this.

Does anyone genuinely believe that Forren was signed for next season hocum?

He certainly wasn't signed to come straight into the team as had been on holiday for 6 weeks before he joined.

I would imagine that if he had been looking brilliant in training he might have come in eventually, but it was a tight situation and probably required people that knew the league.

Will be very interesting to see the plans for the new season at CB and jury definitely still out on whether Forren will be heavily involved. For me a big clue will be if we bring in another CB.