Who likes a rumour or two? Here you go...

Crab Lungs

I wouldn't go that far. We've got a decent first XI but little quality depth beneath that. A lot of people got very excited about our decent run of form a month or so ago and thought that a top half finish was inevitable. The reality is for us to finish top half we would need all of our first XI to stay fit and in form for the entire season, never going to happen. People point to our poor start and use the adapting to the premier league excuse for this, yet we've only taken 4 points from our last 6 games, so our recent form is only a bit better than when we were supposedly adapting to the premier league. We've played some good stuff at times this season but we need some quality additions in almost every position if we're going to push into the top half.

Completely agree with all of this, for the vast majority of the season, i'm going to sound like Harry Redknapp now, but our bench was barely midtable Championship.

I wouldn't go that far. We've got a decent first XI but little quality depth beneath that. A lot of people got very excited about our decent run of form a month or so ago and thought that a top half finish was inevitable. The reality is for us to finish top half we would need all of our first XI to stay fit and in form for the entire season, never going to happen. People point to our poor start and use the adapting to the premier league excuse for this, yet we've only taken 4 points from our last 6 games, so our recent form is only a bit better than when we were supposedly adapting to the premier league. We've played some good stuff at times this season but we need some quality additions in almost every position if we're going to push into the top half.

Are you saying our last six games was like our start?

Saints scored 10 goals in their first 6 league games this season. ;)

So on that score we've done a lot worse recently without having the 'adapting to the premier league' excuse. Thanks for proving my point,

So on that score we've done a lot worse recently without having the 'adapting to the premier league' excuse. Thanks for proving my point,

Umm... I disproved your point. You said Saints didn't score many goals in the opening 6 games, I showed they did.

In any case although Saints scored 10 goals in those games, Adkins had us far too open and we conceded 18 goals.

You'd certainly be hard pushed to argue that 4 points against West Ham, Swansea, WBA, Tottenham, Sunderland & Stoke is a decent progression and transformation from 3 points against Manchester City, Wigan, Manchester United, Arsenal, Aston Villa and Everton.

Umm... I disproved your point. You said Saints didn't score many goals in the opening 6 games, I showed they did.

In any case although Saints scored 10 goals in those games, Adkins had us far too open and we conceded 18 goals.

Read the post in its entirity and stop being a helmet if that's possible. Our form wasn't good at the start of the season and it isn't good now. By highlighting that we've in fact scored less goals now than at the start of the season it only reinforces my point that this squad isn't good enough for the top half as some parts of our game have been worse than at the start of the season when the 'adapting to the premier league' card was played, by yourself amongst others, so yes, you've proved my point.

Not that different. Some good performances, some crap ones and not many points or goals.

Don't know-thought we were much more solid and confident in the last six. At the start, we could have been blown apart at any time, especially away from home. By the end of the season, we were putting ourselves in more positions where we could pick up points and possibly win games.

Edited by shurlock

So we've "progressed" and "adapted" from scoring goals and letting in loads to tightening up, but scoring hardly any goals. Neither route resulted in a successful start or finish to the season.

You'd certainly be hard pushed to argue that 4 points against West Ham, Swansea, WBA, Tottenham, Sunderland & Stoke is a decent progression and transformation from 3 points against Manchester City, Wigan, Manchester United, Arsenal, Aston Villa and Everton.

Also don't forget the saviours of our season or at least they were around November time, Cork and Shaw, didn't feature in those early games but did in the latter.

Edited by Turkish

Read the post in its entirity and stop being a helmet if that's possible. Our form wasn't good at the start of the season and it isn't good now. By highlighting that we've in fact scored less goals now than at the start of the season it only reinforces my point that this squad isn't good enough for the top half as some parts of our game have been worse than at the start of the season when the 'adapting to the premier league' card was played, by yourself amongst others, so yes, you've proved my point.

Also don't forget the saviours of our season or at least they were around November time, Cork and Shaw, didn't feature opinion those early games but did in the latter.

- In the first 10 games of the season whilst Saints were adapting to a new league Saints average 0.4 points per game, over the course of a 38 game season that would be 15 points and obviously would result in 20th place.

- In the 28 Premier League games since the beginning of November when Shaw and Cork started playing Saints have averaged 1.32 points per game, over the course of a 38 game season that will be 50 points and would have been enough for 8th place.

Next season we won't need to adapt to the Premier League in the opening 10 games, that has already happened.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Stop being dramatic you know the point he was trying to make, point is we have had a pretty abject end to the season and have been pretty poor in front of goal despite controlling games.

Nice to hear the info crabby

Did he say anything about the fact we have just bought 3 more fields around staplewood ?

Don't know-thought we were much more solid and confident in the last six. At the start, we were lightweight as if we could be blown apart at any time, especially away from home. By the end of the season, we were putting ourselves in more positions where we could pick up points and possibly win games.

We put in some very good performances in the first ten games Man U, Man City, Villa and also some poor ones and didn't get many points. This whilst our season saviours were not playing and we still had the adapting to the premier league card to play. Now with a fully fit squad and having adapted to the premier league we've put in some decent performances, some poor ones and not got many results, we may be more solid but we're scoring less. Our recent form proves my point, as I have maintained all season, that this squad isn't a top half one. I know you like argue that it is and if we ignore the first ten games, the last 6, the QPR game, the Sunderland game and the Newcastle and Wigan away ones and we're as good as Everton across the rest, but unfortunately the league table doesn't work like mboards.

- In the first 10 games of the season whilst Saints were adapting to a new league Saints average 0.4 points per game, over the course of a 38 game season that would be 15 points and obviously would result in 20th place.

- In the 28 Premier League games since the beginning of November when Shaw and Cork started playing Saints have averaged 1.32 points per game, over the course of a 38 game season that will be 50 points and would have been enough for 8th place.

Next season we won't need to adapt to the Premier League in the opening 10 games, that has already happened.

My god

:facepalm:

How do you explain the form in the last 6 which is relegation form? I thought we'd adapted to the premier league?

Appreciate that they are just rumours and I don't want to dispel them but isn't St Marys already a UEFA 4 Star stadium which means it can host European matches etc? And on that basis we wouldn't need £1m+ of stadium revisions to attain a status we've already achieved?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_stadium_categories

http://www.worldstadiumdatabase.com/list-of-uefa-4-star-stadiums.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Mary's_Stadium

My god

:facepalm:

It really is quite incredible to behold just how much of an ignorant arse he is at times!

And what exactly was "ignorant" about my post?

Is it for a monkey chicken petting zoo?

I dont get quite that involved, just try to make sure the chicken monkeys dont electrocute themselves.

But we have bought the fields, and have been asked to remove the power lines, have not seen any plans for what they are doing yet but seen updated plans for the new dome etc as thats all changed which was what caused the contractor hold ups etc

Edited by Smirking_Saint

We put in some very good performances in the first ten games Man U, Man City, Villa and also some poor ones and didn't get many points. This whilst our season saviours were not playing and we still had the adapting to the premier league card to play. Now with a fully fit squad and having adapted to the premier league we've put in some decent performances, some poor ones and not got many results, we may be more solid but we're scoring less. Our recent form proves my point, as I have maintained all season, that this squad isn't a top half one. I know you like argue that it is and if we ignore the first ten games, the last 6, the QPR game, the Sunderland game and the Newcastle and Wigan away ones and we're as good as Everton across the rest, but unfortunately the league table doesn't work like mboards.

I would have taken our end over our start any day of the week - certainly know which team the opposition would have preferred to play.

Never made any assumptions or predictions where we would finish -frankly couldn't care less as long as we stayed up. The fact is that we have improved over the course of the season -precisely why people are so disappointed with our lacklustre finish.

And what exactly was "ignorant" about my post?

Just your usual penchant for entirely missing the point, young Matthew. In any case I have no wish to converse furthery tonight, your post just made me chuckle. You knock 'em out, champ.

i can't see how people can just completely discredit the opening 10 games where we were appaling and try to simply attribute it to "adapting".we could have and should have taken more points in those opening 10 games. we are a midtable team , midtable teams generally go through quite drastic changes in form ,norwich and stoke being good example this season

Did he say anything about the fact we have just bought 3 more fields around staplewood?

We have bought the fields, and have been asked to remove the power lines, have not seen any plans for what they are doing yet but seen updated plans for the new dome etc as thats all changed which was what caused the contractor hold ups etc

No plans on the New Forest District council planning website for either them or the new training dome as of yet. So three of the four fields north of the A326 are now Saints'...

screenshot20130520at225.png

How it will look when finished... (but with a new training dome and extra pitches ontop of what is shown here)

Southampton_2.jpg

Edited by Matthew Le God

i can't see how people can just completely discredit the opening 10 games where we were appaling and try to simply attribute it to "adapting".we could have and should have taken more points in those opening 10 games. we are a midtable team , midtable teams generally go through quite drastic changes in form ,norwich and stoke being good example this season

Pretty much. Our finishing position is pretty much on the money for us squad wise.

As someone has already mentioned previously, the mid-table clubs can go on some stonking unbeaten runs (Norwich, Stoke etc) but they're also just as likely to not win in 10, which is what happened We're all mid-table for a reason, mainly because we've shown promise and have a good first 11 - but injuries and suspensions will knock our form and the other mid-table sides. Bigger squads and more depth will aid progression up the league.

It's a little too easy to be flippant and say ''We were only 4 points off 10th, that's nothing. If we play like we have, we will finish there without stregenthing". The issue people seem to ignore is that of consistency, and squad size, we may touch 10th at one stage, but we'd need to have a season where all of our current 11 stay fit and on form for 38 games, which is actually impossible. So, even though it's only a ''small'' points gap, we'd still need to significantly add to the depth of the squad to achieve a higher finish.

Don't get me wrong, I think we've done great this year to settle down as we have. Just that we can't rest on our laurels, and if we really want to progress how they're saying, then we'd need to add a bit more depth to the squad.

Sorry to take this off tangent, good rumours by the way Crabs.

No plans on the New Forest District council for either them or the new training dome as of yet. So three of the four fields north of the A326 are now Saints'...

screenshot20130520at225.png

How it will look when finished... (but with a new training dome and extra pitches ontop of what is shown here)

Southampton_2.jpg

Cant remember exact ones, Ill see if I can grab plans this week but definately the next one along long lane, and three others.

And yes a new dome etc and think they have moved some buildings around, cant remember off the top of my head Ill hsve another look at some point.

Yea it would take an eye watering amount for Champions League, but does making the Europa League merit all this susposed investment and infrastructure? Wigan will be in it next year and teams like Millwall, Middlesborough and Cardiff have competed in it in recent years.

Has a lack of bear allowed you to wander freely onto the main board ? What the hell are you doing man ?!?

I'm lost smirkers, I don't mind admitting it. I'm over on bore 606, I'm here, I'm talking about football manager with MLG. I'm like the littlest hobo. Charlet, just bring bear back FFS.

Yea it would take an eye watering amount for Champions League, but does making the Europa League merit all this susposed investment and infrastructure? Wigan will be in it next year and teams like Millwall, Middlesborough and Cardiff have competed in it in recent years.

If we have serious backing, then why not give it a go. But we'd need a hell of a lot of signings to be honest! Who knows what the ambition is though, we may all be surprised by the level of players we end up signing this year.

I'm lost smirkers, I don't mind admitting it. I'm over on bore 606, I'm here, I'm talking about football manager with MLG. I'm like the littlest hobo. Charlet, just bring bear back FFS.

Just be careful tokes, your close to me shouting you down with cries of my coaching badges, MLG badly quoting and blindly arguing having only read the first sentance or Roger having a meltdown as Lambert hasnt returned his calls. You need to know these waters pal, its trecherous.

I had you down as more Dora the explorer than the littlest Hobo mind.

I can't be bothered to type everything up now but here's a few interesting snippets from a conversation I had earlier.

* Cortese wants Europe within 2 seasons

* He's going to splash to cash both on and off the field

* Firstly, expect a couple of big signings (don't know when, but he's going to really go for it)

* £1m will be spent on revamping the corporate/media side of things to be aligned with European football, for example, the ground must have 40 different camera angles for European matches (I don't know the rules/regs on this, but that's what I was told)

* If we qualify for Europe the stadium will be expanded, with an additional tier added to the Kingsland.

I'm sure there was more I was told but I can't remember all of it right now. Enjoy, take the p1ss, do what you want with it!

Thanks for the info Crab ;)

Pretty much. Our finishing position is pretty much on the money for us squad wise.

As someone has already mentioned previously, the mid-table clubs can go on some stonking unbeaten runs (Norwich, Stoke etc) but they're also just as likely to not win in 10, which is what happened We're all mid-table for a reason, mainly because we've shown promise and have a good first 11 - but injuries and suspensions will knock our form and the other mid-table sides. Bigger squads and more depth will aid progression up the league.

It's a little too easy to be flippant and say ''We were only 4 points off 10th, that's nothing. If we play like we have, we will finish there without stregenthing". The issue people seem to ignore is that of consistency, and squad size, we may touch 10th at one stage, but we'd need to have a season where all of our current 11 stay fit and on form for 38 games, which is actually impossible. So, even though it's only a ''small'' points gap, we'd still need to significantly add to the depth of the squad to achieve a higher finish.

Don't get me wrong, I think we've done great this year to settle down as we have. Just that we can't rest on our laurels, and if we really want to progress how they're saying, then we'd need to add a bit more depth to the squad.

Very well said.

Good post as always S-Clarke.

Not sure why people are comparing our first 10 game and our last 6, like comparing Chalk and Cheese. The team was all over the place at times in the first 10 defending like clowns.

Last 6 we had an off day against WBA, but aside from that we have looked very solid and controlled most games but in reality haven't taken our chances to win games.

As for our current squad if the first XI were all fit and on form then they'd be good enough for top 8, in reality though we need better alternatives to Hooiveld, Fox, Gazza, Chaplow, Guly etc. who have made appearances this season so we can rest the likes of Lambert, Morgan, Cork and Shaw.

Hopefully this info in the OP will see us first off not sell anyone, and then add 3-4 players that can challenge for a first team place/improve on what we have. With that then a top 8 spot is within our grasp. I think to finish in the top 6 we would need a Lukaku level season from a player, who knows maybe Gaston?