You sign Whittingham, we sign Pochettino....

Saint Mikey

We must be doing well when the forum moaners moan about....... Mmmm songs lol, pmsl

I was thinking that earlier, but there's still ticket taxes, the kit, car park charges, the lack of wifi in the stadium, the queues in the concourse, empty seats, the utter pointlessness of loyalty points, and a pile of other stuff no-one's bothering to mention for as long as we're decent on the pitch. It's been the case for getting on for 4 years. They're still broken, but no-one cares until we lose.

I was thinking that earlier, but there's still ticket taxes, the kit, car park charges, the lack of wifi in the stadium, the queues in the concourse, empty seats, the utter pointlessness of loyalty points, and a pile of other stuff no-one's bothering to mention for as long as we're decent on the pitch. It's been the case for getting on for 4 years. They're still broken, but no-one cares until we lose.

You forgot "Woggy" the kit man. That was my favorite reaction of yours.

It has potential and the inspiral carpets original is a great song but as usual we arse it up. For a start who ever described a manager joining as signing a manager? The words are wrong as griffo pointed out it not 'tell us what it's like' it's 'this is how if feels to be Pompey' the ideal time for this was when we played them in the championship at their place, not now.

Being addressed, they just signed done a deal for this, watch this space :-)

Well, if you mean that we've removed the spirit and all the words (and the tune) of the original song, the wit of the United version and the wit of the City reposte and are left with a "I herd dis on Sky" tw at's chorus, then I agree with you.

This is how it feels when your fans know nothing at all.

Christ! I'm not particularly bothered about about this issue, and maybe it's the bottle of Valpolicella Ripasso that has moved me to write, but do you _ever_ write a post that isn't a miserable, cynical, critical pile of cr*p? You really are a four letter word, and I'll leave others to choose their favourite for you.

Christ! I'm not particularly bothered about about this issue, and maybe it's the bottle of Valpolicella Ripasso that has moved me to write, but do you _ever_ write a post that isn't a miserable, cynical, critical pile of cr*p? You really are a four letter word, and I'll leave others to choose their favourite for you.

It's Happening!...

"By far the greatest team" doesn't make much sense either, why are people not complaining about how embarrassing that one is.

Except that song makes perfect sense, and has a timeless humour to it. It's a classic chant because it works for all clubs at all levels in all kinds of circumstances.

Odd you are being so stultifyingly literal about it.

Agreed!

Have to admit, I like it. Very catchy I think. Trouble is until now I could never make out the words. I've even tried lip reading people, but that didn't work. TBH I thought that Pochettino was "punch and go, punch and go". Anyway, it's nice to hear something different.

Oh when the Saints go marching in, with it's catholic connotations is deeply offensive to non catholics. How are we meant to attact muslim fans to SMS when the song suggests by wanting to be in that number they would have to turn their backs on islam to be a Saints fan?

Whilst I understand where The9 is coming from and actually agree with his comments regarding the meaning, does it ****ing matter? Football chants/songs are about a feeling of togetherness and creating an atmosphere, they don't need to be grammatically and/or factually correct. If Pompey Scum was only sung by those who were REALLY told by their mothers to wash their mouth out and go and fetch their father's gun I doubt it would have caught on. It could be argued that Pompey consider us small, so "This is what it's like to be small" is meant ironically, throwing their opinions back in their faces from the lofty heights of 3rd in the PL, (yep, we really are small-time :roll: ).

Personally can't see why we bother singing anything about Pompey unless we're playing them but this new song is much better than Pompey scum and if it gets plenty joining in then stick with it.

Having said that, I hope someone is working on a new song to replace it for when Guy is sacked and replaced by someone without a 3 syllable surname. ;)

So the latest mongboardery decree by the forum whips to be added to the long of shouldn't do's is 'you are a div if you appropriate and localise another team's song'. Hasn't that been happening since the begining of football. Expressing an opinion on a song is fine, slagging people of for singing is poor form old chaps.

So the latest mongboardery decree by the forum whips to be added to the long of shouldn't do's is 'you are a div if you appropriate and localise another team's song'. Hasn't that been happening since the begining of football. Expressing an opinion on a song is fine, slagging people of for singing is poor form old chaps.

Only really rubbish songs.

Oh when the Saints go marching in, with it's catholic connotations is deeply offensive to non catholics. How are we meant to attact muslim fans to SMS when the song suggests by wanting to be in that number they would have to turn their backs on islam to be a Saints fan?

Catholic connotations? Are you smoking the pipe?

This thread Is incredible !!! On the back of one of the best atmospheres at st Mary's for ages!!

Some people really need to get a life ( or start inventing some factually correct, witty and original songs themselves )

tell you what.... Why don't we agree some words that ' make sense' and sing those !

So how about this :

How does it feel to be Pompey?

How does it feel to be poor ?

You got whittingham

We got pochettino

Anyone upset with this version ?

If we have to sing anti-Pompey songs then how about this?

The grans old duke of Skates

He had 11 men

He marched them up to the Premier league

And he marched them down again

Cos when they were up they were ****

And when they were down they were ****

No matter whether they're up or down

Pompey will always be ****.

Opening line could be changed to something like 'That ***** called Mandaric' or 'Alexandre Gaydamak'

Why shouldn't we sing about Pompey? The league difference is irrelevant. Do we hate them any more or less because they're lower down the football league? Doesn't make a difference.

It's small time and bordering on obsession. Do you think Everton spend all their time faffing off about Liverpool? Do Liverpool define themselves based on their relationship with Man U?

Actually really depressed me, that. Almost as much as people singing "come on your reds" away to United (which actually gave me a headache, it was so f*cking stupid).

We almost got the full repoitire in there, "i've got a shed thats bigger than this" "we support our local team" "is this a libary" etc, the only thing that disapointed me was there was no chants of "Liverpool" or "small town near City" which always really gets under Man U fans skins.

To be fair though it's at home where we excel over the years there have been some incredibly original chants, "look like a wotsit" "Paul Di Canio, he's such a w*nkio" "Small town in VIlla" (To Birmingham fans) and of course who could forget the wonderful renditions of "STEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVE" that cascaded down from the Northam stand, followed by everyone looking around and laughing like it was the maddest thing theyd ever done in that 2011/12 promtion season.

It doesn't really matter what the words are, as long as you clap along at hundred miles an hour, that's the main thing.

Until (if) we ever get to a point where we have a wide choice of high quality, relevant, songs which a good proportion of supporters are happy to join in with (yeah right, we wish), then almost anything will do to get the atmosphere going. As posted by others, on Sat the atmosphere was better than its been in a long time and thats a good thing

• 4 weeks later...
To that add "Red Army! Red Army!". We are a football team not an army. Someone must be aiming to strike off all these inaccurate songs / chants surely?

Red Army sounds plastic as ****, but at least NC has done the sensible thing and saved us from ourselves by making us play in all red to fit with those who insist on singing it.

When we played in red and white and sang "RED ARMY" we sounded very foolish indeed.