You sign Whittingham, we sign Pochettino....

Saint Mikey

Seems to be a bit of confusion about the words.

"This is what it's like" makes no sense.

"It's not nice" kind of works.

At Spurs we were singing:

"What's it like to be Pompey,

What's it like to be poor....."

Makes much more sense to me.

FWIW I thought it sounded great and the whole lower tier was bouncing in the second half.

I missed the Stoke game due to being stuck working away all weekend, so no idea what got sung in the home game.

Seems to be a bit of confusion about the words.

"This is what it's like" makes no sense.

"It's not nice" kind of works.

At Spurs we were singing:

"What's it like to be Pompey,

What's it like to be poor....."

Makes much more sense to me.

FWIW I thought it sounded great and the whole lower tier was bouncing in the second half.

I missed the Stoke game due to being stuck working away all weekend, so no idea what got sung in the home game.

Congrats. You just made it on the list.

I have commented on this song on another thread where I pointed out that there are several slightly different versions of this song going around - largely because like the OP no-one can make out what is being sung!

Personally, I agree with the sentiment that I would rather sing about Saints than about some naff fourth division club with a fat bare-bellied prat of a fan who stirs up unnecessary hatred across the south coast. I would suggest that we need alternative words for the song depending upon who we are playing. So, for example:

Playing Norwich

Is that what it's like to be Norwich, always boring yellow and green?

You've got Delia, we've got Pochettino, Pochettino!

Playing West Ham

Is that what it's like to be West Ham, long balls and boring football?

You've got Big Fat Sam, we've got Pochettino, Pochettino!

Playing Sunderland

Is that what it's like to be Sund'land, supporting the BNP?

You've got a fascist boss, we've got Pochettino, Pochettino!

etc...

I also think we can create some new songs based on tunes that no-one else has yet thought to use. So, for example, while we have already got a perfectly good Adam Lallana song (pinched I guess from another club and another player) I have previously suggested it would be quite funny and different to sing a song for Lalland based on the old Smurfing song:

La-la-la-la-la-la-la-Lallana,

La-la-la-la-la-la-la-Lallana, Lallana!

La-la-la-la-la-la-la-Lallana, Lallana!

For those that don't know or remember it, check it out on YouTube:

- you need to listen to the refrain from about 25 seconds until 1 minute 9 seconds!

Here are a few other songs that I am surprised we do not sing, either in their original form or with some adapted lyrics:

Us Against The World, Coldplay - simply sing the second verse and chorus as they are or change some bits of it:

The tightrope that I'm walking just sways and ties

The devil as he's talking with those angel's eyes

And I just want to be there when the lightning strikes

And the Saints go marching in

And sing slow-ow-ow-ow it down

Through chaos as it swirls It's us against the world

The Saints Are Coming, The Skids (also recently covered by U2 and Green Day)

The Saints are coming, the Saints are coming

I say no matter how I try, I realize there's no reply

The Saints are coming, the Saints are coming

I say no matter how I try, I realize there's no reply

The Saints of Los Angeles, Motley Crue (Change Los Angeles to Southampton of course plus a few other cosmetic changes!)

We are...we are the saints

We signed our life away

Doesn't matter what you think

We're gonna do it anyway

We are...we are the saints

One day you will confess

And Pray to the saints of Los Angeles.

Finally, here are a few songs that could all be adapted to create some great terrace songs:

Paradise - Coldplay (And it's Gaston, Gaston Ramirez, oh it's Gaston, Gaston Ramirez...!)

Every Teardrop is a Waterfall - Coldplay (Our secret weapon is Jay Rodriguez!)

Imagine - John Lennon (Imagine there's no defence, it's easy if you try???!!! - hopefully taunting the opponents rather than highlighting our own shortcomings!)

Clown - Emeli Sande (We've got Luke Shaw, out on the pitch...)

Maybe - Emeli Sande (Jack Cork, taking the ball out of defence, giving it out to the forwards, he's gotta be England class...?)

Breaking The Law - Emeli Sande (I'll never stop following Southampton!)

Read All About It - Emeli Sande (I wanna sing, I wanna shout, I wanna follow Southampton, no doubt...)

Beneath You're Beautiful - Labrinth/Emeli Sande (and at right back - it's great to see Nathaniel Clyne (repeat)... shrug them off now boy, etc.)

Overjoyed - Bastille ('Oh I feel overjoyed to see the Saints are climbing up the Premier League...')

Oblivion - Bastille ('cos we're going to follow Saints' instead of 'are you going to age with grace?' and 'Southampton' instead of 'Oblivion', etc.

Sowing the Seeds of Love - Tears For Fears (Supporting Southampton, Southampton... supporting South-ampton!)

Shout - Tears For Fears (Shout, Shout, let it all out, We are the Saints and there ain't no doubt, come on...!)

Man on The Moon - REM ('Would you believe, we're are Premier League, Premier League...' or similar)

Ignoreland - REM (Just substitute 'Southampton' or a players name for 'Ignoreland' - dead simple!)

Find The River - REM ('We have got Gaston Ramirez...')

My Beloved Monster - Eels (My beloved Saints and Me, we go everywhere together...)

Anyway, that's just a few suggestions...!! :)

I thought ART was the weirdest poster here. You have surpassed that by a long way. Well done sir, well done.

this is a joke right?

Playing Norwich

Is that what it's like to be Norwich, always boring yellow and green?

You've got Delia, we've got Pochettino, Pochettino!

Playing West Ham

Is that what it's like to be West Ham, long balls and boring football?

You've got Big Fat Sam, we've got Pochettino, Pochettino!

Playing Sunderland

Is that what it's like to be Sund'land, supporting the BNP?

You've got a fascist boss, we've got Pochettino, Pochettino!

That is like the post equivalent of the original Ted Bates statue, so bad it's hillarious.

I thought ART was the weirdest poster here. You have surpassed that by a long way. Well done sir, well done.

Some people on here just need to get a life! People are divided about this song - not liking that we forever sing about Pompey, but wanting a song that lauds Pochettino; liking some of the words of this song, complaining about others. So I simply (or perhaps complicatedly!) made an attempt to suggest an alternative and all you haters can do is to criticise my efforts.

At the same time, others have pointed out that we are forever copying other team's songs so I have suggested a few ideas for songs that could easily be adapted for the terraces - but again all you can do is criticise.

If you guys are so clever, why don't you try coming up with something that genuinely sings support for our team, our players, our town, our manager, etc. instead of criticising the efforts of others?! There is a long tradition every summer of people suggesting new songs to improve the dross that is sung on the terraces. I was simply continuing that tradition. If you don't like my suggestions then come up with your own instead of making small-minded put-downs that, as far as I can see, suggest you have nothing more than the intellect of a Pompey fan.

Alternatively, if you don't like the sorts of things that are discussed on forums, then go out and get a life and stop criticising those of us that do enjoy discussing such things.

I can't believe how critical and small-minded some people are becoming on here. No wonder some tried to introduce some sort of moderation to the forum a few years ago. I am beginning to think that they may have been wiser than I realised at the time.

"He fought Luke Shaw and, Luke Shaw won"

Actually first time I have seen any song suggestion on here that was any good.

Simple, no need to have any tone and words actually make sense. The song in OP is embarrassing beyond belief

• 5 months later...

Sad as this is going to sound... I was in the kitchen the other night doing the dishes (as all modern men do) and for about 15 minutes I was singing "Pochettino's red n' white army" over and over and over on my own.. like we used to do at the Dell for whomever was the manager of the day.. Those chants seemed to go on for entire halves of matches and were brilliant... All parts of the ground joined in and when others dropped off another section of the crowd picked up the baton and carried it on... My girlfriend (now wife) came to one of the games at the Dell and was so impressed by this wall of noise.. "are this lot ever going to stop?" she asked... as I made my hands and throat sore from constant clapping and singing...

Lets have some more of this please and stop with the anti Pompey crap.

I was in a group walking up to the Riverside on that rainy night when we could of clinched promotion from the Championship and the group were belting out anti-Pompey songs and this 'Boro fan came up and asked me "why the f**k we were bothering to sing about them?". I thought about it for a minute and agreed. He was absolutely spot on. I chose not to sing about them now.

POCHETTINO'S RED N WHITE ARMY

(Had to use antique white so you could see it a bit :) )

If I were a Pompey fan, about the only heartening thing these days would be still being sung about loud and clear in the premier league every week. Thousands of saints fans who should be celebrating the best team and the best football in thirty years still thinking about Pompey while they watch their team. It must give them a lot of hope and pride to hear songs like that.

if saints fans stopped singing about Pompey, that would hurt them far more, but no, we have to keep telling them how important and relevant they are to us every week.

I do like to keep an eye out for them in the Takeover thread, but it is getting a bit ridiculous singing about Pompey, they are so far away down the drain it would be better to just forget about them - it just brings us down to their level otherwise. I do love a bit of schadenfreude but I don't think we should allow them the honour of name-checking them in our songs.

I was having a look at the FA Cup first round draw earlier today and when I saw them on the list I was almost surprised to see they were still in it.

Originally posted this on the Morgan 200up thread and it got one bloke calling it 'duck' and one 'like' so I reckons that's 100% of saints web approve. Lubbly jubbly!

Speakin to Rodders and Uncle Albert about our little French mate, and we came up with this little ditty. Whatdyareckon? Trei bon I say!

God bless Morgans feet

Viva Morgans feet

Long live Morgans feet

C'est magnifique Morgans feet

Magnifique Morgans feet!

Why shouldn't we sing about Pompey? The league difference is irrelevant. Do we hate them any more or less because they're lower down the football league? Doesn't make a difference.

They say the greatest insult isn't to be insulted, it's to be ignored.

Frankly I think the swing in standing in the last few years is f**king hilarious, so keep the songs going!! Particularly when the comparison is with how good we currently are.

At least that P*mpey fan on a string song seems to have disappeared recently, that was garbage.

My tuppence worth ..

The Pochettino song doesn't make a lot of sense.

We sing it so fast no one really can really understand it anyway.

A couple of other points (moans) ...

Why must we sing "Your support is ****ing ****" when they are sitting quiet and demoralised? Why wake em to help their team .. makes no sense?

Singing "we're taking the **** at 2-0 up" always feels like tempting fate.

Save the anti pompey songs for the pub and just get behind the team.

The slower the song the better ... gives it a chance of getting round the whole ground.

I could go on ..

Because it makes far more sense. Why would being top 6 in the Prem feel like being Pompey/poor?

The song makes no sense at all. Why would it. It's for the Manchester clubs. Saints divs heard it on Sky and here we are with a senseless abortion of a chant.

It's only a chant, so who cares. But it is sh it.

Our songs have been pretty guff for a while to be honest. Not too concerned about anti-Pompey stuff but it would be nice if it were next to some creative/well paced Saints chants.

We can still make a buzz but the only time I can remember a good song lasting particularly long recently was OWTS at home to Liverpool last year. That rang around the ground nice and slowly, more of that please!

A complete mong song.

We didn't sign Pochettino, He is our manager so was appointed.

I prefer to look at it as even if we did "sign" him, talking about "signing a manager" is the kind of nonsense you expect out of plastic know-nothing fans. It's not accepted terminology, so makes the singers look like idiots.

Not a fan of the Inspiral Carpets then?

I love the Inspiral Carpets, and owned This Is How It Feels on Cassette Maxisingle (God I feel old now), but singing "This is How it Feels" when being Saints is pretty much the exact opposite of "how it feels to be Pompey" makes no sense.

I love the Inspiral Carpets, and owned This Is How It Feels on Cassette Maxisingle (God I feel old now), but singing "This is How it Feels" when being Saints is pretty much the exact opposite of "how it feels to be Pompey" makes no sense.

Well, if you mean that we've removed the spirit and all the words (and the tune) of the original song, the wit of the United version and the wit of the City reposte and are left with a "I herd dis on Sky" tw at's chorus, then I agree with you.

This is how it feels when your fans know nothing at all.

Well, if you mean that we've removed the spirit and all the words (and the tune) of the original song, the wit of the United version and the wit of the City reposte and are left with a "I herd dis on Sky" tw at's chorus, then I agree with you.

This is how it feels when your fans know nothing at all.

I think someone needs to smuggle a Hammond organ (or similar) into the Northam for authenticity.

The Man U original referenced City winning nothing, so the "THIS" in "This is how it feels" referred only to City winning "nothing at all" and therefore made sense.

The City response, in which they reference the signing of players (not managers), makes less sense as there's no "THIS" referenced in their song, but at least refers to the signing of players.

The Saints version is as illogical as the City one because there is no description of what "this" is. "Tell us" therefore works better as it's a logical taunt and doesn't require a description of what it is that illustrates the taunted club is small. The song also talks of signing managers rather than players, which is a new one on me, though technically I guess Pochettino did have to sign something.

I think someone needs to smuggle a Hammond organ (or similar) into the Northam for authenticity.

The Man U original referenced City winning nothing, so the "THIS" in "This is how it feels" referred only to City winning "nothing at all" and therefore made sense.

The City response, in which they reference the signing of players (not managers), makes less sense as there's no "THIS" referenced in their song, but at least refers to the signing of players.

The Saints version is as illogical as the City one because there is no description of what "this" is. "Tell us" therefore works better as it's a logical taunt and doesn't require a description of what it is that illustrates the taunted club is small. The song also talks of signing managers rather than players, which is a new one on me, though technically I guess Pochettino did have to sign something.

FFS shut up mush..... This is football