The Ashes 2013

St Jim

Well after that dodgy decision earlier, it's a relief that the Rogers dismissal was as plumb as you like. Would've been slightly embarrassed to see such a good bit of hitting brought to a close by anything other than the skill of the fielding team.

Interesting play so far. 133-3, who's on top so far do we think?

There were singing "Oh when the snake" in homage to the biggest beer snake I've ever seen, although there were Saints there today.

It was hotter than Hades there today.

Hot? You call THAT hot? pah, we DREAM of a chilly 30C at this time of the year

But the beer snake did make it onto the telly :)

North West England

Forecast Summary

Today

Cloudy with rain persisting for much of the day, very heavy at times with a risk of thundery bursts and localised flooding. Towards evening the rain will ease and slowly clear eastwards, perhaps allowing some late brightness in the west.

Play starting in 10mins.

Will England slow it down, hoping with help from the weather to count the clock down, or will they go for this ? 332 is not over-the-hill, its a good ODI innings.

Edit.

Just seen that the Aussies have declared. Point is moot.

How so ?

It only takes a couple of the England batsmen to get a mad glint in their eye and a result is on the cards.

No, the point I was going to make was moot. That wasn't too clear.

Balls, first wicket already!! Come on rain!!!

Rain looking far away actually, bands of rain missing Manchester, good in some ways actually because Aus will have fully deserves to win this if we dont bat out the day and sets up the series

Cook looking in as poor form as i've ever seen, if Trotty gets out quickly were staring down the barrel

Cook on a duck. Marvellous.

Even worse was his use of the review. England look distinctly nervous this morning. I'm worried that the intermittent rain might play into the Aussies hands as it'll prevent any batsman getting into a groove.

Rain looking far away actually, bands of rain missing Manchester, good in some ways actually because Aus will have fully deserves to win this if we dont bat out the day and sets up the series

Cook looking in as poor form as i've ever seen, if Trotty gets out quickly were staring down the barrel

Trott's looking skittish just at the moment. It's like he can't decide where to stand.

Watched some of the cricket on Telly yesterday , cant help thinking that some of the english players are acting like Chavs. especially broad. This constantant appealling and reviews is not helpful for the game , And broad even tried to appeal to the square leg umpire even though the reveiw had saidnot out. Some of the players are using over paid prima donna footballers as their mentors.

Even cook appealed when he was clearly out this morning

PS given the amount of referrals, and the time it takes . I believe that there should be extra overs played at the end of each days play , in order to stop this time wastings. OH and you should only go of the pitch if you are genuinely injured or need a puncheon .

Pitch inspection at 2.45. Unless there's breaks in the cloud cover I'd imagine the best scenario for the Aussies is 2 hours of play, (given tea will be taken and then I'd imagine bad light will play a part). And that's not taking into account further rain.

Looking less likely for Australia :)