The Ashes 2013

St Jim

According to some in the media this is the worst Australian team to tour the U.K.

Well I say thank gawd for that then as heaven help England if Australia were a strong team. :lol:

Actually I bet the England team never ever under estimate the Australians. Only an

idiot would do that and lets face it some media aren't the brightest are they ?

Having now seem both teams play, I would say they are far closer matched than was suggested before the series started.

Both have top order batsman that can get out cheaply with a stupid rash shot. Both have tail enders who can get a decent score if needed. If anything happened to Jimmy, then there wouldn't be much between the bowling attacks either. Swann, should on paper, be head and shoulders above Agar, but didn't look it over the last few days.

I don't think England will completely dominate any of these tests, which makes for an exciting series. I'm all for that.

No changes in the squad for the 2nd test, but I wonder if there will be in the first 11.

I'd be inclined to think about bringing in Bresnan for Finn. The latter looked woefully out of form in the first test, particularly in the 2nd innings and Bresnan is an equally adept bowler, but also offers more depth in our batting at the tail end.

I'd be inclined to think about bringing in Bresnan for Finn. The latter looked woefully out of form in the first test, particularly in the 2nd innings and Bresnan is an equally adept bowler, but also offers more depth in our batting at the tail end.

I think that is exactly what will happen. Some would say that Finn couldn't possibly bowl that badly again, and so should be given the chance to play again and redeem himself, but I think he needs to be replaced.

I think that is exactly what will happen. Some would say that Finn couldn't possibly bowl that badly again, and so should be given the chance to play again and redeem himself, but I think he needs to be replaced.

I'd wait to see what sort of wicket appears from under the covers on Thursday. In reality Bresnan would have been better suited to the dead pitch at Trent Bridge, when he bangs the ball in he can be a threat (which would NOT have been the case at TB) BUT can be a stock bowler who can tie an end up which is what England desperately needed.

Finn is far better on a more responsive track, over the years Lords has seemed to change nature much more dramatically than TB, with periods of docility through to spit spite and uneven bounce.

IF it is forecast to stay hot and sunny & clear skies all weekend then they have to pick Finn. IF there is cloud cover around, Lords will swing much more and Bresnan will be dangerous AND COULD keep one end tied up when it goes dead.

HOWEVER, Bresnan was very poor on the Dead pitches over here against Pakistan.

Still Finn for me for Lords OT & Durham.

I still worry about Bairstow at number 6 though more than Finn/Bresnan

I was watching Finn on Sunday, & he looks mentally shot. His run-up was really stuterring and he could barely get his arm over to bowl, it was like he had the yips. He used to to knock the stumps over at the bowlers end when releasingthe ball quite regularly, but now thats a no-ball, I wonder if that is affecting him?

I was watching Finn on Sunday, & he looks mentally shot. His run-up was really stuterring and he could barely get his arm over to bowl, it was like he had the yips. He used to to knock the stumps over at the bowlers end when releasingthe ball quite regularly, but now thats a no-ball, I wonder if that is affecting him?

They messed around with his run up in NZ trying to cure that - put him on a short run up.

They talked about his rhythm not being right.

It is possible that he is shot and needs to play 4 day cricket for a few weeks then fair enough but if they think he is OK then he has to play

They messed around with his run up in NZ trying to cure that - put him on a short run up.

They talked about his rhythm not being right.

It is possible that he is shot and needs to play 4 day cricket for a few weeks then fair enough but if they think he is OK then he has to play

Yeah it's a tough one. Lords is his home ground. Going to be interesting to see what they do. Trouble is if he is off the pace it leaves us with 3 bowlers & jimmy can't keep bowling 55 overs per test.

I think they will stick with Finn but I'd bring Bresnan in myself but, again, it will depend on how rhe pitch looks as with the weather set fair it could be the deciding factor.

This

Though I would personally be happier with Finn, give him a test off and get his practice in to see if he can shake off the monkeys. Tim looked in good form against essesx (I know it was only essex) bowling well and batting a century.

Could give us better batting options but also with a fitter Broad then he should bowl more overs taking the pressure off the need of Finn.

Having now seem both teams play, I would say they are far closer matched than was suggested before the series started.

I disagree, if it wasn't for a freak innings by a no11 it would of been a bit easy. Their batting line up is too weak and we should win the series comfortably. (now watch us lose).

We have to protect Jimmy in the next Test and we absolutely can't expect him to bowl another 56 overs so the third seamer absolutely has to be reliable above all else. If we pick Finn and he's a crap as he was in the first Test then Anderson and Broad will see their workload go through the roof again. If JA picks up an injury ( :scared: ) we can probably kiss the Ashes goodbye.

Regardless of the pitch Bres and Gronions are ahead of Finn for me, for this Test. I'd probably pick Bres, just.

I disagree, if it wasn't for a freak innings by a no11 it would of been a bit easy. Their batting line up is too weak and we should win the series comfortably. (now watch us lose).

Well they'd certainly built up their tail to compensate for their top order. I'm not sure either Starc or Agar would've got the nod otherwise, purely on bowling ability.

I'd actually forgotten how little Broad bowled in the 1st innings. His being fit and able this time round will take some of the pressure off Anderson, but I'd prefer to see Bresnan picked over Finn. If England score as poorly in this test then we simply haven't got the runs to play with to allow for Finn's average. With Bresnan you can be fairly certain he'll hold an end, whilst also hoping he'll contribute a few with the bat.

I'm not sure Finn's form is actually all that bad though. He had a terrible session on day 5, but had looked OK before that. He's a bowler who can make unusual things happen, but he's always expensive. For me I'd always take Bresnan or Onions as 3rd quick as you've already got a player who's prone to inconsistency in Stuart Broad - a fine wicket taker on his day, but off it he keeps bowling all that short stuff that costs us. You can't carry two players like that in a 4-man attack. For me the line-up needs someone you can turn to for reliability.

Don't panic. The Aussies played out of their skins at Trent Bridge. Their batting is seriously awful, England will walk this series. Despite the 3 stupid wickets this morning. The Aussies can bowl, no argument. But their top order (Clarke excepted) don't know which end of the bat to hold. Hopeless duffers.

Don't panic. The Aussies played out of their skins at Trent Bridge. Their batting is seriously awful, England will walk this series. Despite the 3 stupid wickets this morning. The Aussies can bowl, no argument. But their top order (Clarke excepted) don't know which end of the bat to hold. Hopeless duffers.

I like your attitude.

Trott and Bell seem to have got themselves comfortably in now. Let's hope that was just an early wobble.

Jesus. Typical England. Hard work done, dug ourselves out of a very big hole at 28 for 3, get to 271-4 and then throw 3 stupid wickets away. What was Bairstow thinking playing that full toss straight back into Smith's hands?

Gone from a commanding position back to being behind the game again. Need the last few to try and take us up to 350 at least, if not 400.

Without jumping on a bandwagon I think England have messed up dropping Compton and moving Root up. Today was the perfect example of how in test cricket you see off the new ball and then bed in. Root >>Bairstow and would have been a good bet to get runs at 6. With Cook out of form at just the wrong time and Bairstow having glaring technical deficiencies you need a Compton type up top

But Flower and team England won't change it, too stubborn

Without jumping on a bandwagon I think England have messed up dropping Compton and moving Root up. Today was the perfect example of how in test cricket you see off the new ball and then bed in. Root >>Bairstow and would have been a good bet to get runs at 6. With Cook out of form at just the wrong time and Bairstow having glaring technical deficiencies you need a Compton type up top

But Flower and team England won't change it, too stubborn

Totally agree with that, everyone got caught up in the Finn/Bresnan argument

Bairstow has potential but not sure he is mentally ready for the fact that England need big LONG knocks from him.

Need someone to hand around at the top of the order

Totally agree with that, everyone got caught up in the Finn/Bresnan argument

Bairstow has potential but not sure he is mentally ready for the fact that England need big LONG knocks from him.

Need someone to hand around at the top of the order

We wont loose this series and the selectors obviously see Root and Bairstow as two decent up and coming batsman. If they do not learn valuable test lessons from this series then they wont learn anywhere

Hopeful that Bresnan, Broad and Swann can combine to put a few more runs on the board. If we can make it through to lunch tomorrow then that should mean we've got 350 or so.

Still a poor effort, should be getting 450/500 on this.

Beauty first up from Harris and far too good for a tail ender like Bresnan. so much for him adding runs at 8. His medium pace will to all parts on this pitch when he bowls. The top order is an issue for both teams - Root was doing well at 6, why move him against the new ball. Wasn't convinced by Compton either so Trott to open, Bell is in wonderful form so up to 3, KP 4. Bairstow has talent but needs another season for Yorks playing much straighter.

England need 350 minimum to stay in the game at all, with their fragile top order we'll need 5 early wickets with the new ball and hope it reverses later on. Sub 350 and they'll still need a miracle on the scale of Headingley 1981. Might be the kick up the backside Flower and Cook need.