The Ashes 2013

St Jim

Elite Umpires

Business Class flights around the world for them (and their families)

Damned good salaries and allowances

Training and review programmes

That is modern cricket, it's The Ashes, there had already been one howler with Trott and a probably howler with Root.

Too right Broad should not have walked, that's why the Umpires get all those perks. Not HIS fault he was given not out and I would NOT expect an Aussie to walk in such circumstances now that Adam Gilchrist has retired.

Away from that gritty gutsy work from England today, that was what the pitch dictated and that is what they did. Never thought we'd get a 150 lead let alone 250.

Can still be turned around & lost in the blink of an eye and a few overs or a bad umpiring call so tomorrow morning? Keep grinding. Longer they stay out the more the pitch will wear and the more tired & frustrated they become. Already England get to put the heavy roller on again so probably needs to be rolled twice tomorrow. Who knows what that will do

At this level, the mental side is as important as ability.

Oh and Bell deserves to get to his ton

dinger, please would explain what on earth you are going on about ?

International umpires are indeed well looked after these days so it can't be that ?

Umpires are only human and don't want to make mistakes, oh yes not much was said

when England benefited from a wrong decision against New Zealand did they ?

Australians never walk especially against England, so it can't be that ?

Australia wasted their last review, can't remember batsmans name as I have just woke up,

when it was pretty clear that it was going to miss the stumps so was obviously not out.

The umpire got that one correct

dinger, please would explain what on earth you are going on about ?

International umpires are indeed well looked after these days so it can't be that ?

Umpires are only human and don't want to make mistakes, oh yes not much was said

when England benefited from a wrong decision against New Zealand did they ?

Australians never walk especially against England, so it can't be that ?

Australia wasted their last review, can't remember batsmans name as I have just woke up,

when it was pretty clear that it was going to miss the stumps so was obviously not out.

The umpire got that one correct

I'm going on about how everyone, the batsman included, knows that that was out. He should have walked. What anyone reckons the Aussies would have done in that situation is irrelevant.

It's nothing to do with how well umpires are looked after. It's about being honest.

Lets just see it through to stumps, by which time hopefully we'll have about a 260 lead. If we do without losing another wicket too, I'd be hopeful of a final lead of about 330-340 and to start getting into them tomorrow afternoon. Optimistic perhaps, but why not... we've responded carefully today and are in a decent position.

330-340 lead? You are very optimistic, anything over 300 we will win I am confident of that, we have to get there first.

I stand by what I said - I got the lead at stumps pretty much bang on and I think if these two can stick at it a bit tomorrow, that lead is entirely possible now.

Its a very difficult yet interesting debate thats popped up, would I walk? If I had a ton and the game was safe yes for sure, if we needed to win? Not so sure to be honest, its not what others do its what you do, Broad did not walk and thats his choice if not given out, poor decision by Dar but Umpires likes humans make them,

Root Australias way

Broad Englands way

Trott Australias way

Agar Australias way

They do even out but seeing as 24 hours ago we were questioning Agars stumping and we now question Broad not walking we could be talking about something different later on today.

One thing about the Broad incident that I have not seen covered in the press is the viewing angle of the camera compared to that of the umpire? Given the small distance the knick went before hitting the gloves and that the camera is further back and higher up I think its quite possible that Broads bat hid the trajectory of the ball from when it was knicked to when it hit the gloves when viewed from the lower and closer umpires position. Everyone saying it is a bad mistake by the umpire but that's based entirely on a view that the umpire did not have.

I have watched it on slow mo time and again and cannot see a deviation until the ball hits haddin. hotspot did not pick it up and so surely there must be doubt. if he had hit it as hard as everyone thinks, Hotspot should show it.

I pride myself that i always walk, but that is sunday village cricket, different to professional game.

I watched Tom Moody on Sky saying how it was embarrassing how Broad didnt walk and said if it was an obvious deflection he would walk. Therefore if he knw he had a slight nick he would wait and see if he could get away with it. Double standards and a worse form of cheating as it is normally the slight edges that the Umpires need help with.

Its opened an interesting debate, what makes the game so special is that its not like other sports, I know most sports like to think they have a monopoly on honesty and integrity but English cricket is up there with any of them, its all too easy to hammer Broad and its not good to see but I was one of the only ones hamering Rodriguez for his dive against Villa, football has lower morals though....................

Anyone who has ever played cricket at any level has been given out when they clearly were not. Did the Umpire ever apologise?

The ICC have confirmed that Erasmus was WRONG to give Trott out because he did not follow protocol.

Has he apologised? Did the wrong decision get reversed? Of course not.

Fed up with the sanctimonious drivel in the papers today that are so totally one sided and about the good of the sport. Bollix, it has been that way since Cricket was invented and always will be. Just lazy Journalists jumping on a bandwagon.

Have your own opinion by all means but don't preach and don't ram it down our throats.

Martin Samuel in the fail is the worst, stop comparing Cricketers to Golf/Snooker. If you want Cricket to be the same then stop talking about football where every player looks to gain an advantage in a game even if it's only and extra few feet at a throw in.

It's Professional Sport it has always been this way. It is NOT Chris Broad's job to change that, IF he had walked he would be forgotten in 5 seconds and it would not change a damn thing, same as how not walking won't change a damn thing.

Broads' job is to stay out there as long as possible, not to change 200+ years of tradition in thousands of matches every day somewhere in the world.

In other words fook off Samuels and the rest of you morons. Broad may not have been RIGHT but he did the RIGHT thing by his job, tradition and the needs of the many.

Go find another way to change the world of cricket, not destroying him.

Oh and we all know what will happen this morning.

Aus will run through the last 4 wickets in no time for no runs at all just as the 'taters are building up about how we need to bat through to lunch and and and...

Then we'll all be glued to the box all afternoon biting nails and getting grey hair

Anyone who has ever played cricket at any level has been given out when they clearly were not. Did the Umpire ever apologise?

The ICC have confirmed that Erasmus was WRONG to give Trott out because he did not follow protocol.

Has he apologised? Did the wrong decision get reversed? Of course not.

Fed up with the sanctimonious drivel in the papers today that are so totally one sided and about the good of the sport. Bollix, it has been that way since Cricket was invented and always will be. Just lazy Journalists jumping on a bandwagon.

Have your own opinion by all means but don't preach and don't ram it down our throats.

Martin Samuel in the fail is the worst, stop comparing Cricketers to Golf/Snooker. If you want Cricket to be the same then stop talking about football where every player looks to gain an advantage in a game even if it's only and extra few feet at a throw in.

It's Professional Sport it has always been this way. It is NOT Chris Broad's job to change that, IF he had walked he would be forgotten in 5 seconds and it would not change a damn thing, same as how not walking won't change a damn thing.

Broads' job is to stay out there as long as possible, not to change 200+ years of tradition in thousands of matches every day somewhere in the world.

In other words fook off Samuels and the rest of you morons. Broad may not have been RIGHT but he did the RIGHT thing by his job, tradition and the needs of the many.

Go find another way to change the world of cricket, not destroying him.

Not Stuart's job either. (Twice in a couple of days :lol:)

Not Stuart's job either. (Twice in a couple of days :lol:)

Ah well it was his job yesterday thanks to the Umpires calls on Root & Troot :scared: then we get into the where is Joe Root better suited for the balance of the team?

Would we prefer him or Bairstow at #6? IMHO Bairstow isn't quite ready for this level of Test cricket yet (bit like Bell in his 1st Ashes series) flaky 20's and 30's instead of calmness & averaging 35 to 40.

Which then begs the question who should open with Cook and did we drop Compton too early? hmm tough one based on the NZ series but then very few of our batsmen played well in that

Would Bresnan have let Agar score 30+ runs in 4 overs to get off to a flier as Finn did.....

Will they drop Finn on his performance on a Dead pitch that possibly better suited Bresnan and put Bresnan in on a pitch that will likely better suit Finn at Lords...

Will worry about that later, but surely a much better area for debate than an old chestnut ;)

I assume Martin Samuels at the fail has a comparable two page rant about the Captain of Australia not walking for an obvious caught behind.

Oh

Delicately balanced Test now but really need an early wicket tomorrow to avoid the jitters. About time the REAL Graham Swann turned up, if not give Root the ball again ;)

Big shout out to Alps for ensuring the result went the right way.

Oh - clear edge, clear sound. Will the media give Haddin sh1t for not walking?

(And how come Sky taters didn't hear that when we could?)

Bloody great Test Match, how the hell are we gonna survive 9 more of these, let alone the players.

Jimmy Anderson - Man of Steel, awesome effort today

:D

That game gave me memories of the Edgbaston test in 2005, even to the point of Finn dropped catch in the deep was reminiscent of Simon Jones doing the same in 2005.

It was just as well we didn't have DRS in 2005 (Kasprowicz's glove was off the bat at the time he gloved it)

Oh, and I'm going to enjoy my journey into work tomorrow. Adelaide locals have been known to whine a fair bit, I fully expect to hear some whinging in the office tomorrow, I'll just have to remember to bring my stirring spoon with me :)

Lest you forget, they got within 14 runs...

Alpine has a point, yes it was a great test match, great excitement and in the end a great result.....but recently it's very worrying how difficult England find it to finish off the last wicket. It's happened loads over the last year or so. Even NZ put about 70 on for the final wicket earlier this summer against us....and that Trent Boult and Neil Wagner who are complete bunnies. Lest we forget Tino Best last year as well. More than just coincidence by now