The Ashes 2013

St Jim

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/23598798

Kevin Pietersen has angrily denied reports in Australia which claimed he may have used special tape on his bat to prevent the detection of edges.

The stories suggested players from both England and Australia could be investigated but only named Pietersen.

"If I nick it, I'll walk," tweeted England batsman Pietersen, 33.

"To suggest I cheat by covering my bat with silicon [in order to fool the Hot Spot system] infuriates me. Such horrible lies."

to be honest , wouldn't be surprised if this was something they all did, and management approved to boot.

Pietersen is arrogant enough to do somethning like this . If theres a way of cheating the system players in what ever sport will find away to get round the rules

Kevin Pietersen has angrily denied reports in Australia which claimed he may have used special tape on his bat to prevent the detection of edges.

The stories suggested players from both England and Australia could be investigated but only named Pietersen.

"If I nick it, I'll walk," tweeted England batsman Pietersen, 33.

"To suggest I cheat by covering my bat with silicon [in order to fool the Hot Spot system] infuriates me. Such horrible lies

England 34-1

alistair Cook . what a cock

Cook revealed England players do stick tape on their bats but not with the intention of trying to fool DRS.

He said: "Fibreglass tape on their bats… that's been going on for years. That's just to protect the bat to make it last longer.

Thats a lame excuse to protect the bat. if your using tape to protect the bat then its normally dwon the bottom of the bat. not down the edges

I still play a little cricket and Im still using the bat I have had since 1987 , it needs a new handle cover now, but I have never used any tape and its as good as new. maybe thats because I never scored a lot of runs !!

England 34-1

alistair Cook . what a cock

Cook revealed England players do stick tape on their bats but not with the intention of trying to fool DRS.

He said: "Fibreglass tape on their bats… that's been going on for years. That's just to protect the bat to make it last longer.

Thats a lame excuse to protect the bat. if your using tape to protect the bat then its normally dwon the bottom of the bat. not down the edges

I still play a little cricket and Im still using the bat I have had since 1987 , it needs a new handle cover now, but I have never used any tape and its as good as new. maybe thats because I never scored a lot of runs !!

Why is he a cock?

I was putting fibreglass tape on my bat in the 80s and the 90s and I saw Steve Smith do a press conference this week, where he said the Aussies did the same.

Why is he a cock?

I was putting fibreglass tape on my bat in the 80s and the 90s and I saw Steve Smith do a press conference this week, where he said the Aussies did the same.

Aye, it's standard practice as far as I know.

So, not 30-3 this time. That makes a refreshing change...

With regard to the alleged effect of tape on the edge of bats on the HawkEye system, surely the batsmen could be cheating themselves ; if it dims the hot-spot, such that edges for "catches" don't show on the DRS reviews, it will also fail to show thin edged snicks into the pads when given out LBW.

With regard to the alleged effect of tape on the edge of bats on the HawkEye system, surely the batsmen could be cheating themselves ; if it dims the hot-spot, such that edges for "catches" don't show on the DRS reviews, it will also fail to show thin edged snicks into the pads when given out LBW.

Dont often say this on this site but........good point.

Exactly, the whole notion of it is ludicrous and an obvious sour grapes fabrication by a bitter Aussie media outlet. It reflects well on the Aussie team that they've distanced themselves from the allegations.

Overall a decent day. Another 100 runs and we should be fine. Still fail to see what Bairstow offers from number 6 though. Would have kept Compton as opener with Root at 6 where he can play with a bit more freedom, as he was before this series. Compton was seen as being too slow to score his runs, but Root has scored just as slowly from his opening slot, and it's clearly stifling his natural game. Selectors will stick with this however, I'm certain

Overall a decent day. Another 100 runs and we should be fine. Still fail to see what Bairstow offers from number 6 though. Would have kept Compton as opener with Root at 6 where he can play with a bit more freedom, as he was before this series. Compton was seen as being too slow to score his runs, but Root has scored just as slowly from his opening slot, and it's clearly stifling his natural game. Selectors will stick with this however, I'm certain

Can't think why, as we're clearly struggling in the series.

148 needed with 8 wickets in hand. Khawaja just gone. Really need to knock 2 over in quick succession here if we are to stand any chance of winning this.

Well, that's Warner and Clarke gone, two major wickets... Top 4 gone, 125 needed, 6 wickets remain. Game well and truly on.

We've not been at our best in this series, but you have to give England enormous credit for the grit, determination, never say die attitude and team spirit that they have shown in grinding ourselves out of difficult positions, and turn them into winning ones.

At Trent Bridge and Durham we were behind after the first innings, both times we've then managed to bat ourselves into a commanding leading position. Today, with Australia 100 or so for nothing, all looked lost but amazingly again the boys have turned it round. If anybody had told me at 4pm today that 4 hours later we'd have won the series, I'd have accused them if being mental! Great achievement, great win.

Time to round it off in style at the Oval and make it a 4-0 thumping.

Bloody hell. I've been feeling like sh!te all day, and spent a fair bit of the afternoon watching things develop on Cricinfo, then listened to the radio driving home. Took me to 6pm and heard Warner's wicket fall. Went straight to bed, slept till half an hour ago, then got my laptop to check again, hoping we might have nipped a couple more out. What a performance from Broad in particular and, after all the criticism of Cook as exhibiting a 'captaincy by numbers', what a vindication for him too.

Brilliantly played - there simply isn't anything sweeter in cricket than stuffing the Aussies.

Wow good day to choose to work from home.

First hour was amazing to watch New Ball, Bresnan Broad & Swann fighting back to give a New Hope (good movie title that)

An afternoon of oh krap need to go do some work maybe that will help lurching towards despair. Followed by Sod it off to the Pub for Quiz night.

And woosh, hard to answer questions about TV Cartoon Villains when Warner is batting.

But let's face it, England have been poor.

Cook is out of sorts compared to his old self

Root now looks like a rabbit in Headlights

Trott - FFS stop trying to be interesting and entertaining. We loved you just the way you were (drop him from ODI's??) How can he have a higher strike rate than KP FFS?

KP is KP, no problem with that

Belly the Red Cape clashes with his hair & he needs that curl on his forehead and Lois Lane to interview him to make it all real

Bairstow close to growing Roots problem

Prior well keep this up with the bat mate and then Bairstow gets the gloves to make him the next Alec Stewart

Bresnan Thank God he remembered he WAS in the team to bowl (and thank God it wasn't Onions coming out to bat last night) But still must pick Tremlett for the Oval unless..

Broad Streaky I like that, a streaky player keep having one streak a series and we'll be fine

Swanny #worried, not at his best last two games surwly he should be taking 25 wickets a game on these pitches

Anderson - who? Jimmy mate, it's a 5 test series, not one. Seriously what is wrong with the ex superman. Hell yeah I know Hollywood likes reboots but from hero to zero in 8 innings? Maybe keep Bresnan in and replace with Tremlett for the Oval? Send him back to the County to remember how to take wickets

Seriously, we have been ropey. We've beaten a poor Aussie Team who at least showed some guts in the last two tests. Need some work before we go out there. Top order is NOT good enough at the moment to whip the buggers on home turf.

Oh want a smirk?

Some of the best Tweets from today

eg

The Cricket Geek @TheCricketGeek There has been more footage of Stuart Broad's shoes than Usman Khawaja's batting in this #Ashes

http://www.espncricinfo.com/thestands/content/story/661911.html

Wow good day to choose to work from home.

First hour was amazing to watch New Ball, Bresnan Broad & Swann fighting back to give a New Hope (good movie title that)

An afternoon of oh krap need to go do some work maybe that will help lurching towards despair. Followed by Sod it off to the Pub for Quiz night.

And woosh, hard to answer questions about TV Cartoon Villains when Warner is batting.

But let's face it, England have been poor.

Cook is out of sorts compared to his old self

Root now looks like a rabbit in Headlights

Trott - FFS stop trying to be interesting and entertaining. We loved you just the way you were (drop him from ODI's??) How can he have a higher strike rate than KP FFS?

KP is KP, no problem with that

Belly the Red Cape clashes with his hair & he needs that curl on his forehead and Lois Lane to interview him to make it all real

Bairstow close to growing Roots problem

Prior well keep this up with the bat mate and then Bairstow gets the gloves to make him the next Alec Stewart

Bresnan Thank God he remembered he WAS in the team to bowl (and thank God it wasn't Onions coming out to bat last night) But still must pick Tremlett for the Oval unless..

Broad Streaky I like that, a streaky player keep having one streak a series and we'll be fine

Swanny #worried, not at his best last two games surwly he should be taking 25 wickets a game on these pitches

Anderson - who? Jimmy mate, it's a 5 test series, not one. Seriously what is wrong with the ex superman. Hell yeah I know Hollywood likes reboots but from hero to zero in 8 innings? Maybe keep Bresnan in and replace with Tremlett for the Oval? Send him back to the County to remember how to take wickets

Seriously, we have been ropey. We've beaten a poor Aussie Team who at least showed some guts in the last two tests. Need some work before we go out there. Top order is NOT good enough at the moment to whip the buggers on home turf.

Oh want a smirk?

Some of the best Tweets from today

eg

http://www.espncricinfo.com/thestands/content/story/661911.html

Not sure even Swann could take 25 wickets in a test match.