Leandro Damiao!

Lambert7

Some guy on TV here was waffling on about the weather, you can imagine my frustration when he, too, never mentioned Damiano!

I was watching Babestation and that woman never mentioned Damiao either. I was watching for ages too. I think it's a conspiracy. I'll keep watching though to see if the situation changes, and will endeavour to do the same every night until Damiao signs.

Bit of late night reading of the South American newspapers - Jorge Machado, the lads agent has already sent a representative ( most probably Gilmar Velozto) to Southampton find out all about the area, club etc a few weeks ago , Spurs deal is off because Damiao's club did not agree with the installment plan offered by Spurs. Main interest for the player now is a move to Southampton, agent has said if financial requirement is met by the striker, Inter must accept the output. One of the problems is Athletic Morrow, Santa Catarina, who still owns 30% Damian rights, what will be their slice as £20m is what the player would cost up front.

Agent is a great character when you read about him , Jorge Machado currently spend 300k a month supporting young players who have potential, tough negotiator in his interview as he says If the player wanted a salary of £ 5000, I asked for £ 15,000 for the club officer. In the end, we agree for £ 12,000, and the player, jumping for joy,

Always good to get a different read I guess - so much more detail in South American papers , all depends how good you translating is - DO not rely on Google translate its utter ******

Woah..... where is he getting the 300K to spend a month on ? I would look myself but about to travel does he have all the good players under contract or does he own his own bank ?

BTW, the Head Brazilian Researcher for FM who watches a shed load of Brazilian football said Damiao is inconsistent and can go missing in games, other games he can be unplayable. He thinks he's probably not good enough for a champions league/title challenging team because of this which is probably why Spurs have stalled on this deal for so long.

BTW, the Head Brazilian Researcher for FM who watches a shed load of Brazilian football said Damiao is inconsistent and can go missing in games, other games he can be unplayable. He thinks he's probably not good enough for a champions league/title challenging team because of this which is probably why Spurs have stalled on this deal for so long.

Still a massive step up in quailty for us, no disrespect to Ricky or Jrod, but Damiao is in a different league. Plus he is only 23 so that could change as he matures.

For me, this signing is as much about signing quailty players as it is about signalling our intent. It shows other players we're in for that we mean business and could open the flood gates. Man City needed to sign Robinho to get the ball rolling

He Brazilian MLG yes? Think we'll ignore what he says.

Sound an OK job, that. Must brush up the CV.

He Brazilian MLG yes? Think we'll ignore what he says.

No, for a start he doesn't post pictures of stadiums in every other post. He also isn't responsible for just one club, he's Brazilian and lives there. He watches a lot of Brazilian football, it's obviously just an opinion but thought I'd share considering he'll have seen a lot more of him than anyone here.

Tweet him if you want and ask him directly- https://twitter.com/Cynegeticus

Still a massive step up in quailty for us, no disrespect to Ricky or Jrod, but Damiao is in a different league. Plus he is only 23 so that could change as he matures.

For me, this signing is as much about signing quailty players as it is about signalling our intent. It shows other players we're in for that we mean business and could open the flood gates. Man City needed to sign Robinho to get the ball rolling

From what I have seen of him I probably agree, in the Olympics he was excellent. He's got pace, is good in the air, can run at people and has the ability to do something out of nothing. He wouldn't be playing up front for Brazil if he didn't have something about him. don't expect a World Class striker though. if we can get him used to the league and get some consistency out of him he'll be a fantastic buy.

Edited by tajjuk

Deal fell through because Spurs wanted an installment plan and Inter said along the lines of cash up front please

if I had 25 Million pounds for 1 player I'd spend on someone like Rodrigo Palacio who can score from both feet plus his head and come on from the bench and hit the back of the net. He scored three hat tricks last term and is one of the most under rated players in europe. I'd bet my bottom dollar we could sign him for no more than 20 million quid.

You do realise Rodrigo Palacio is 31? And only cost inter about £9millon only a year ago, he's good but nowhere near worth going for/too old for us anyway.

How many games has he played at a similar level and tempo to the Premier League?

How many games has he played at a similar level and tempo to the Premier League?

At 23 years old he has 16 senior caps for Brazil and has played numerous games in the South American equivalent of the Champions League. This transfer if it happens would be talked about throughout world football, that didn't happen for Rodriguez or Lambert.

Edited by Matthew Le God

At 23 years old he has 16 senior caps for Brazil and has played numerous games in the South American equivalent of the Champions League. This transfer if it happens would be talked about throughout world football, that didn't happen for Rodriguez or Lambert.

Doesn't answer my question.

Doesn't answer my question.

I think it does (as well as you can answer such a question). Plus it wasn't the best question as Dig Dig points out...

So you want him to say "no, he has never played in the prem"? Don't think you need anyone to answer that question for you do you?

Exactly!

There is no real answer to this question. All you can say is he hasn't played in the Premier League. So unless you only want us to buy premier league players your question is fairly pointless.

He has 16 caps for Brazil, 6 for Brazil U23s, has played 72 in Brazil's top flight and 19 times in the Copa Libertadores which is South America's Champions League equivalent. He is about to turn 24, and is 6' 2".

Ask this guy more about him https://twitter.com/Cynegeticus or Tim Vickery - https://twitter.com/Tim_Vickery As not many of us watch Brazilian Football so can only go on reputation, rumours, videos and the odd international game we have watched.

I dont know what the tempo is like in brazil, however i'd imagine the tempo at international level is fairly similair, 16 caps for Brazil no less.

If Ricky or Jrod were Brazilain they'd get no where near the brazil squad regardless of how many high tempo games they'd played in, they'd probably be the first to admit that!!

We are debating whether the current Brazilian national team striker would be a good signing.

I thought that was worth stating.

Let's put this at the top of every page of the thread.

Could the leading striker of the World Cup hosts, potential winners and all-time greatest international side Brazil, do a job for Southampton?

We are debating whether the current Brazilian national team striker would be a good signing.

Well technically that is Fred, Damiao has only played once for Brazil in 2013.

How many games has Neymar played at the same level as La Liga.......

Neymar is a much much better player, but yeh I get your point. He's played 16 times for Brazil and has done well in the Copa Libertadores both of which count as the highest levels in my book.

For us he would be an outstanding signing and a real transfer coup. I just don't want people to get carried away if he signs. He isn't Neymar or Ronaldo. In reputation terms (not ability) I'd say he's Brazil's Danny Wellbeck, i.e. a young striker establishing himself in the Brazil team. Also Brazil were pretty average before the Copa America.

I think it does (as well as you can answer such a question). Plus it wasn't the best question as Dig Dig points out...

Exactly!

You are not being very nice to sour mash. He has taken on quite an immense task convincing us that a current Brazil internation striker is not ready for the Premier League. I don't see why you should make it harder on him posting all your facts and whatnot...

You are not being very nice to sour mash. He has taken on quite an immense task convincing us that a current Brazil internation striker is not ready for the Premier League. I don't see why you should make it harder on him posting all your facts and whatnot...

"Well... you can prove anything with facts can't you? I'm not interested in facts, I find they tend to cloud my judgement. I prefer to rely on instinct."

[video=youtube;4n-UGQcG3Jw]

Were they better than Saints?

I don't remember us getting an invite to the Copa America? Average for the high standards of Brazil, they were ranked 22nd in the World behind Ghana, Denmark, Bosnia and Greece before the Copa America.

Think they have gone up to 9th now.

Also Brazil were pretty average before the Copa America.

I don't remember us getting an invite to the Copa America? Average for the high standards of Brazil, they were ranked 22nd in the World behind Ghana, Denmark, Bosnia and Greece before the Copa America.

Think they have gone up to 9th now.

Don't you mean the Confederations Cup rather than the Copa America? The last Copa America was in 2011.

Don't you mean the Confederations Cup rather than the Copa America?

I do but the other one counts as well to my point, difficult to compare club and international football. Damiao playing with Oscar, Neymar, Hulk, Paulinho etc. Is different to Damiao potentially playing with Lallana, Puncheon and Lambert.

I do but the other one counts as well to my point, difficult to compare club and international football. Damiao playing with Oscar, Neymar, Hulk, Paulinho etc. Is different to Damiao potentially playing with Lallana, Puncheon and Lambert.

Yeh, srl is far better than hulk.

It certainly is. Which of those groups plays at a higher level, and which one has Damiao already played with? Do you really think Brazil have such a dearth of strikers that their best forward isn't good enough for Southampton, while the rest of the team is filled with world class talent?

Some of you people are unreal.

Thanks for stating that Adrian. I'm not sure anyone doesn't think he could be potentially a very good player for us, but surely there has to be a consideration at what point our gamble on a player that has never played in Europe or at a level similar to the Premier League would become too much? How much do you think we should spend on him?

Regarding his international appearances, goals in frendlies against Ghana, Sweden and Bolivia aren't much of a guide.

where as lambert has how many caps for probably the worst england team for 30 years?

That was still ranked way higher than Brazil was before the Confederations cup and managed to get a draw in Brazil recently.

The standard of the Brazilian national team is not as it once was, and a lot of players have been capped in recent years. Damiao is a decent player and would be an amazing signing but everyone going "OMG he must be amazing cos he plays for Brazil" isn't really correct, Jo even got game time in the confederations cup and he was a total flop. Fred is their current first choice striker and he's hardly world class.

Yeh, srl is far better than hulk.

Hulk is not a striker, he plays out wide. He's also overrated and Zenit spent a stupid amount of money on him.

It certainly is. Which of those groups plays at a higher level, and which one has Damiao already played with? Do you really think Brazil have such a dearth of strikers that their best forward isn't good enough for Southampton, while the rest of the team is filled with world class talent?

Do you think Jo, he who was an £18 million flop for Man City is better than Lambert cos he plays for Brazil? He's was their backup Striker in the Confederations cup. Their main striker Fred was released on a free by Lyon a few years ago.

I didn't say he wasn't good enough for us, at no point have I said that. I actually said he would be an amazing signing so please learn to read.

What I said is people shouldn't get carried away because he plays for Brazil, he isn't Neymar and he isn't Ronaldo. If he was there is no way we would be buying him.

Edited by tajjuk

surely there has to be a consideration at what point our gamble on a player that has never played in Europe or at a level similar to the Premier League would become too much? How much do you think we should spend on him?

Does this apply to any such player?

That was still ranked way higher than Brazil was before the Confederations cup and managed to get a draw in Brazil recently.

The standard of the Brazilian national team is not as it once was, and a lot of players have been capped in recent years. Damiao is a decent player and would be an amazing signing but everyone going "OMG he must be amazing cos he plays for Brazil" isn't really correct, Jo even got game time in the confederations cup and he was a total flop. Fred is their current first choice striker and he's hardly world class.

Why do you disregard Brazil's performance in the Confederations Cup? Is that not the most up to date measure of them on the World stage in competitive matches against strong opposition?

so, what about now. after brazil took spain apart and lit up the CC.

are you suggesting that Damiao is no better than lambert

do you think Lambert would play for Brazil if he was brazilian?

Does this apply to any such player?
Yes of course it does. I don't doubt the lad has the ability to be better than any of our current forward line, but in my eyes spending north of £20m on a player that has had very little exposure to playing in a league like the Premier League, plus the personal issues of settling in england from South America, I reckon it's a fair sized gamble.

Just to point out that when he dropped out of the Brazil squad for the COnfeds Cup, he was replaced by Jo, which tells you about the level of competition for places up front in their squad.

Given that Jo gets games, I'd say Lambert would have more chance than he does for England. But then Hulk and Neymar wouldn't get in the England squad if they were English and played for Saints anyway.

Not often I say this adrian, and as much as I understand the reason why you say that, but I think you're way off there. Even England wouldn't be that stupid to ignore someone like Neymar. He is simply brilliant.

Given that Jo gets games, I'd say Lambert would have more chance than he does for England. But then Hulk and Neymar wouldn't get in the England squad if they were English and played for Saints anyway.

Christ alive.

Wouldn't get a game either.

He's not good on crosses.

Why do you disregard Brazil's performance in the Confederations Cup? Is that not the most up to date measure of them on the World stage in competitive matches against strong opposition?

No, but nor do I subscribe to the belief that Brazil are suddenly going to win the World Cup and Spain's reign of domination is over. It has never really been that important of a tournament. I also think it's important to point out Damiao didn't play in it, he's achieved most of his caps for Brazil in a period where Brazil have been below their previous high levels.

so, what about now. after brazil took spain apart and lit up the CC.

are you suggesting that Damiao is no better than lambert

do you think Lambert would play for Brazil if he was brazilian?

Where have I suggested Damiao isn't better than Lambert? Not sure where you have got that from.

If the confederations cup is such a marker should we not be buying Fred considering he scored 5 goals in it and was joint top scorer?

As I said above Damiao has only played once for Brazil in 2013, and he didn't play in the Confederations Cup. Therefore the Confederations Cup has no relevance when discussing Damiao.

Over the period he has gained his caps Brazil have been a below their high standards and they are not blessed with World Class strikers if Jo is getting a game.

Yes of course it does. I don't doubt the lad has the ability to be better than any of our current forward line, but in my eyes spending north of £20m on a player that has had very little exposure to playing in a league like the Premier League, plus the personal issues of settling in england from South America, I reckon it's a fair sized gamble.

How would you feel if we signed Neymar?