Leandro Damiao!

Lambert7

It is isn't it.

Brazilian's forward linked with us and nutters find a negative out of it. Deluded. Straight up deluded.

Deluded would be assuming that Brazilian = Amazing and World Class without looking into it further.

How would you feel if we signed Neymar?

A very good player but a terrible cheat, he'd be an embarrassing player to watch at times. So "torn" would be my answer. Plus worried about where we'd be finding the cash to fund having him.

A very good player but a terrible cheat, he'd be an embarrassing player to watch at times. So "torn" would be my answer. Plus worried about where we'd be finding the cash to fund having him.

That seals it.

You lot are mad.

That seals it.

You lot are mad.

That's an odd thing to say. I think the caution stems from seeing what has happened to other clubs that have brought in massive players on huge wages. Mad would be accepting that without question and not wondering how we can afford it all.

He's clearly not world class but he is only 23 and had played for the best footballing nation in history nearly 20 times already. Name me the equivalent Spanish German French Italian or even English 23 yr old striker and would they be any better??

This would be a great piece of business particularly the year before a World Cup in his home nation.

Get real people.

Yeah. We could be buying Fred. But he is not leaving his club in brazil. And settled there and absolutely loved there

Damiao, on the other hand is about to embark on his European adventure

if he joins us it'll just be a premier league adventure.

Huge fee to pay for someone who isn't playing at a great league level.

I'd be expecting 20 goals at least if we do pay that type of fee for him.

Only Van Persie, Suarez and Bale got 20 in the league last year but know what you mean, would expect 20 in all comps for a injury free season.

That's an odd thing to say. I think the caution stems from seeing what has happened to other clubs that have brought in massive players on huge wages. Mad would be accepting that without question and not wondering how we can afford it all.

So now that you have done your bit and wondered about it all, how do you feel?

I think Brazil are world class. In fact I don't think, they ARE world class.

We sign the first choice centre back for the no8 FIFA ranked team in the world for £8.5m and it passes by without much comment. A bit of speculation about possibly signing a backup striker for the no 9 ranked team for a stupid £21m and most people wet themselves with excitement.

Leandra, Di, Meow, Meow, Meow, Meow

Meow, Meow, Meow, Meow

Meow, Meow, Meow, Meow

Meow, Meow, Meow, Meow

He has to join now I've sorted the song for him out.

u can come up with all the clever songs u like cato, but we all know at st.mary is gonna be:

Brazil number 9

Brazil number niiiiine

Leandro Damiao

Brazil number 9

u can come up with all the clever songs u like cato, but we all know at st.mary is gonna be:

Brazil number 9

Brazil number niiiiine

Leandro Damiao

Brazil number 9

Or even:

It's just like watching Brazil - repeat ad nauseum.

Strikers are exciting.

Anyway, I don't think Damiao is world class...but since when did anyone have to be to join Southampton? People have gotten so big for their boots round here. You just have to look at the disbelief amongst neutrals to tell you what a big signing this would be.

Brazil number 9

Brazil number niiiiine

Leandro Damiao

Brazil number 9

or

This is what its like to be pompey

This is what its like to be poor

You signed Whittingham

We signed Leandro, Leandro o-o-o

We sign the first choice centre back for the no8 FIFA ranked team in the world for £8.5m and it passes by without much comment. A bit of speculation about possibly signing a backup striker for the no 9 ranked team for a stupid £21m and most people wet themselves with excitement.

This is a joke right! We are talking about Brazil the team that just whipped Spain 3-0 and the boy is 23 and already has 16 caps for them only missing the confederation cup through injury!

Not often I say this adrian, and as much as I understand the reason why you say that, but I think you're way off there. Even England wouldn't be that stupid to ignore someone like Neymar. He is simply brilliant.

They managed to ignore a certain MLT - is Neymar really better than him?

Strikers are exciting.

Anyway, I don't think Damiao is world class...but since when did anyone have to be to join Southampton? People have gotten so big for their boots round here. You just have to look at the disbelief amongst neutrals to tell you what a big signing this would be.

I'm not too big for my boots, I'd like him, just think its a waste of 25 million, especially when we already have billy sharp. I see palace have bought dobie and gayle, we should be after these sorts of players rather than wasting our time, money and effort on unproven backup centre forwards for once great South American sides. Then we could revert to relegation scraps with mediocre players rather than actually gamble on being a top side ...

I'm not too big for my boots, I'd like him, just think its a waste of 25 million, especially when we already have billy sharp. I see palace have bought dobie and gayle, we should be after these sorts of players rather than wasting our time, money and effort on unproven backup centre forwards for once great South American sides. Then we could revert to relegation scraps with mediocre players rather than actually gamble on being a top side ...

I'm sorry but your sarcastic and slightly derogatory tone is no match for Turkish's, I think I'd rate you as a 0.2 of a Turkish...

Would have been interesting if AOC had stayed. He's probably a third as good as Neymar, so a long way off, but still one of the most exciting young English players. I'm not convinced he'd have got a chance if he'd been at saints, even if he'd performed better and played more games than his has for arsenal. Works both ways. If we signed Welbeck this week, would he remain in the England squad if he continued not scoring? I'm not convinced.

Anyway, Neymar is exceptional. Hulk I'm not so sure about. I've seen him be good and bad, he's been around a while, and never sure how to judge goals in Portugal. Some players with great records have been poor elsewhere, you're going to get a lot of chances for Porto. Probably is very good, but it's so hard to judge between leagues.

What I don't get, is why 10 goals or so is now deemed good in the premier league. Years ago a striker only scoring 10 or 11 wasn't that in demand, yet now someone like Kone seems to have had a 'good season'. It's about more than just goals fair enough, but attitudes have definitely changed. Even the top players are getting 23 or 24. Thougth RVP might get 30+ in that team. What's the difference from Shearer, Sheringham, MLT, Fowler etc? Are their fewer goals now? Doesn't feel like. Different play? Fewer crosses?

i thought this. reckon the goals are more spread around these days. more rotation of players maybe?

Not sure why people are being derisive about Brazil being low in the rankings, surely these people are aware they are holding the world cup next year meaning they don't play qualifying games? That's a lot of missed games and points.

What I don't get, is why 10 goals or so is now deemed good in the premier league. Years ago a striker only scoring 10 or 11 wasn't that in demand, yet now someone like Kone seems to have had a 'good season'. It's about more than just goals fair enough, but attitudes have definitely changed. Even the top players are getting 23 or 24. Thougth RVP might get 30+ in that team. What's the difference from Shearer, Sheringham, MLT, Fowler etc? Are their fewer goals now? Doesn't feel like. Different play? Fewer crosses?

In 18 seasons since the switch to a 20 team league, only 5 golden boot winners have got 30 goals or more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premier_League_Golden_Boot

i thought this. reckon the goals are more spread around these days. more rotation of players maybe?

Pretty sure Prem wise, average goals per game is higher than it was say 10 years ago. So statistically it's easier to score goals in the Premiership. Maybe the players that we think are good aren't as good as we think they are? To be fair Suarez isn't really that good of a finisher, Bale is a midfielder so only Van Persie out of the top goalscorers is an out and out striker as well.

One striker formations seem to be in at the moment so maybe that is the cause, Strikers now have to be more complete all round players and play a different role for the team whereas strikers like Shearer, Fowler etc, where goalscoring focal points of their team.

If we have a remaining transfer budget of £30m and blow £25m on this guy, is he still a fantastic signing?

What makes you think the remaining budget is £30m? Damiao will cost circa £20m and Pochettino has said he wants 2 or 3 more players. Wanyama will cost £12m so that takes it over £30m before you even start thinking about who the 3rd player might be.

If we have a remaining transfer budget of £30m and blow £25m on this guy, is he still a fantastic signing?

For a start they are demanding 25m euros, which is only £21m (can't believe I've just described a Saints transfer target as "only" being £21m but there you go).

Secondly, if they are demanding that, the negotiated transfer fee will probably be a few million lower. We could potentially argue it down to £17-20m.

Thirdly our club isn't being run by chimpanzees. They wont spunk the entire transfer kitty on one player (forgetting Lovren for a moment) and then suddenly remember, 'oh crap, we need some other players too. They will have had a sensible transfer and wage structure planned out months ago on how much they're willing to spend and what amount they are willing to pay for one particular player etc.

Thirdly our club isn't being run by chimpanzees. They wont spunk the entire transfer kitty on one player (forgetting Lovren for a moment) and then suddenly remember, 'oh crap, we need some other players too. They will have had a sensible transfer and wage structure planned out months ago on how much they're willing to spend and what amount they are willing to pay for one particular player etc.

Exactly... i know in this day and age of 24 hour speculation and discussion on innernet forumz, this is a silly thing for to say, but sometimes I think people should just switch their computer off, let the people with the money and plan do what they need to do, and then we can review it once they've actually signed a few players and we're approaching the season.

What makes you think the remaining budget is £30m? Damiao will cost circa £20m and Pochettino has said he wants 2 or 3 more players. Wanyama will cost £12m so that takes it over £30m before you even start thinking about who the 3rd player might be.
He used the word "if".