Leandro Damiao!

Lambert7

If you get linked to enough top players the perception of the size, ambition and stature of the club will change -eventually one of these top targets will come.

Interesting point, if nothing else all this talk is certainly raising our profile!

Throw enough sh*t at the wall etc, yes?

It could also have the effect that agents see us as a club to use to drive the price up as they know we are making good offers to players and the players are all asking themselves why they would join us when so many others in the peer group reject us.

Not exactly - your wall analogy assumes we aren't being selective in out transfer policy. Who knows whether we are just casting a net and seeing what we catch, or whether we are selecting targets, and focusing on them, while in the background drumming up an aura of quality and ambition. If you were a, say, Europa, or lower Champions League level player, who we've selectively targeted, wouldn't you be slightly more inclined to sign for a lower Premiership club if they are being linked with such ambitious targets?

Your point about agents is an interesting one, as I'm sure that many agents will now see us as a potential pawn in their games. This could just see us linked to even more quality players, many of whom we aren't considering. In other words, the agents will help generate further clamour, generally to the benefit of the club. The only time agents become an obstacle is when the agent you are currently negotiating with gets ideas of a pay day. I'm sure our reputation of playing hardball with agents will now be fairly common knowledge in agent circles.

Finally, you make an interesting point regarding the potential negatives of being frequently rejected. I can see what you mean, but on balance feel that being linked and rejected is better overall than to not be linked at all. As Wilde (Oscar not Michael) once said 'the only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about'.

He'd be a breathtaking signing - the only issue I have with transfer leaks like this though is that it's probably the agents way of generating interest from bigger clubs (not saying that we haven't actually bid for him though)

@LeandroDamiaoo: Eae galera. Hoje tem final do campeonato ga?cho Junior 14:30hrs no CT em Alvorada entre nosso inter x juventude. Vamos l? apoiar a gurizada.

Ay guys. Today is the championship ga? Cho Junior 14:30 hrs in CT on Daybreak between our inter x youth. Come on? support gurizada.

Nope, no idea either.

@LeandroDamiaoo: Eae galera. Hoje tem final do campeonato ga?cho Junior 14:30hrs no CT em Alvorada entre nosso inter x juventude. Vamos l? apoiar a gurizada.

Today is the final day of our championship and I will be leaving in the summer for inter or Juventus.

HTH

Ay guys. Today is the championship ga? Cho Junior 14:30 hrs in CT on Daybreak between our inter x youth. Come on? support gurizada.

Nope, no idea either.

That's what google translate reckons as well. Maybe a local junior comp? I get my hopes built so much with these transfer rumours etc only to be poo pooed. So I will just wait and see who ends up wearing the watch.

Sounds like a no go.

Which means what Mr Trousers?

Translation? Something about Juventus?

he says he is going to Juve or Inter. not England

Google translate says...

He is talking about Brazilian teams...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcStfWREXj8dOlF4HMDax1JbseHbGJG-78wdBz1daKhVq54ZWBGy

and the International youth team...

200px-Sport_Club_Internacional_2009.svg.png

Edited by Matthew Le God

Today is the final day of our championship and I will be leaving in the summer for inter or Juventus.

HTH

Lets just pretend for a minute that we actually place a bod of 20 mill. Do Inter or Juve have that sort of money? I thought they were all broke

That tweet says

Today is the end of the campeonato gaúcho Junior 14:30 hrs in CT at Dawn between our inter x Juventude. Let us support the young Americans.

He is wishing luck to his clubs youth side (Internacional), who are playing Juventude's youth side in some kind of academy tournament

Juvetude is Juventus nickname is South America, most people call them that.

You said it means...

"I will be leaving in the summer for inter or Juventus."

Put it in a translator and it doesn't say anything like that. He is talking about a youth game between his side Internacional and Juventude.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Translator is wrong, I speak portugese and it says that he is leaving to go to Inter or Juventus. As I said Juvetude is the nickname for Juventus over there, I worked on Brazil for 3 years Matthew.
I don't doubt you for a second, but can you explain the use of the first person plural possessive?Or are Juventus known as "our youth" in Brazil?If so, that's a great pub trivia question ;-)

Translator is wrong, I speak portugese and it says that he is leaving to go to Inter or Juventus.

As I said Juvetude is the nickname for Juventus over there, I worked on Brazil for 3 years Matthew.

Ask Alex Crook perhaps, I think he knows his brazilian language....

For what it's worth, I do speak Portuguese - having previously lived in Brazil for four years. Damiao is tweeting;

"How's it going guys. Today is the final of the Junior Gaucho Championship at 14.30 at the training center in Alvorada between our Inter and juventude. Let's go and support our youngsters"

Gaucho's are people from the South of Brazil and CT is Centro de Treinamento and as a number of people have posted Inter and Juventude are two Brazilian teams.

For what it's worth, I do speak Portuguese - having previously lived in Brazil for four years. Damiao is tweeting;

"How's it going guys. Today is the final of the Junior Gaucho Championship at 14.30 at the training center in Alvorada between our Inter and juventude. Let's go and support our youngsters"

Gaucho's are people from the South of Brazil and CT is Centro de Treinamento and as a number of people have posted Inter and Juventude are two Brazilian teams.

http://www.gianlucadimarzio.com/calciomercato/leandro-damiao-offerta-del-southampton-i-dettagli/

From Brazil to England. So many miles, but Leandro Damiao can fly in Europe. Upon him was the Tottenham but Napoli. In the last hours, however, came the offer of 20 million euro from the Southampton, an important proposal.Born in 1989, Damiao has scored 65 goals with the shirt at the Internacional de Porto Alegre. And the Southampton tries.

http://www.tuttomercatoweb.com/europa/southampton-20mln-per-damiao-summit-nei-prossimi-giorni-461167

The Southampton accelerates forLeandro Damiao (23), Brazilian striker Internacional Porto Alegre like that from time to Naples. The English club has offered € 20Million of the company verdict, scheduled to meet in the coming days to determine the possible deal.

These were the sources the Gaston deal originated from last year, completely out of the blue - as with this. Let's see how this runs.

http://www.gianlucadimarzio.com/calciomercato/leandro-damiao-offerta-del-southampton-i-dettagli/

http://www.tuttomercatoweb.com/europa/southampton-20mln-per-damiao-summit-nei-prossimi-giorni-461167

These were the sources the Gaston deal originated from last year, completely out of the blue - as with this. Let's see how this runs.

If you believe the yid forum, the ownership rights for this guy are just as complex as Gaston's. The club president is also a bit of a rogue.

If this is true it is quite a jump in value for us which brings with it the problem of wages. Players who change clubs for that sort of cash I would assume would command a lot higher weekly wage than we could cover.

If Ramirez is our highest earner on roughly 50k a week then we would have to blow that out of the water to land him. I am not sure if the club are capable of paying the wages necessary.

Whilst I admire cortese ambition in the transfer market we have to realise that transfer fees on this scale really do mean we are competing with the big boys which means big boys wages.

Do people really think we can attract that type of player with what we have to offer,the dream is one thing but bringing it to fruition is another.

This idea of wasting time on targets we probably won't get though - how much time can it really take? If you bid and it gets accepted it's down to the player/agent to talk to you or refuse. If they agree to talk, clearly you have some small chance so it's worth it. It's a long old summer so what sort of club wouldn't aim as high as possible with the funds they have?

Nicky shouldn't be distracting himself with this nonsense. If we want a striker, we should just sign someone like Kenwyn Jones or Charlie Austin and stop embarrassing ourselves with interest in players we can never sign. All that time messing about with Wanyama will cost us :facepalm: