Daniel Osvaldo - Signs 4 Year Deal

SO16_Saint

Think?

Young Gaston is on record as saying 'they give me so much money' and it was an offer he couldn't refuse.

Its as they say. FACT.

You are quoting from a interpreted possible attributed comment. Mate- Its probably right in principle but you never saw GR make that comment live on vid & neither ( caveat- probably) do you speak his language if you did see the interview in any case i wager. So please don't quote that as fact unless you can back it up. I'm sure you are better than that. You want to beat the money grabbing mercenary drums go ahead - but do it proper or you look silly.

You are quoting from a interpreted possible attributed comment. Mate- Its probably right in principle but you never saw GR make that comment live on vid & neither ( caveat- probably) do you speak his language if you did see the interview in any case i wager. So please don't quote that as fact unless you can back it up. I'm sure you are better than that. You want to beat the money grabbing mercenary drums go ahead - but do it proper or you look silly.

No mate I'm not. The direct quote was 'they give me so much money' - direct quote, here it is back up as requested.

http://metro.co.uk/2012/08/17/gaston-ramirez-snubs-spurs-and-liverpool-to-sign-for-southampton-540202/

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/165563.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/southampton/9482694/Southampton-close-to-signing-Bologna-winger-Gaston-Ramirez.html

What was up for debate was if he said the actual figures or not. Or are all the translators wrong here?

The FACT is he came here because we offered him a sh*t load of cash.

Edited by Turkish

No mate I'm not. The direct quote was 'they give me so much money' - direct quote, here it is back up as requested.

http://metro.co.uk/2012/08/17/gaston-ramirez-snubs-spurs-and-liverpool-to-sign-for-southampton-540202/

What was up for debate was if he said the actual figures or not.

The FACT is he came here because we offered him a sh*t load of cash.

I heard the phone conversation, he did a very good Jerry Maguire impression.

Somehow these lines always go missing in these discussions....

‘They believe in me in every way… and above all I have said that they are going to grow,’ Ramirez told Corriere dello Sport.

‘Southampton is a newly promoted team in the English top flight, but they have the means to stand tall in a few years.

‘And with me they are going to build. It’s all very stimulating. Even if it is a little strange.’

Somehow these lines always go missing in these discussions....

‘They believe in me in every way… and above all I have said that they are going to grow,’ Ramirez told Corriere dello Sport.

‘Southampton is a newly promoted team in the English top flight, but they have the means to stand tall in a few years.

‘And with me they are going to build. It’s all very stimulating. Even if it is a little strange.’

Do you think he would still have joined if we hadn't 'made him an offer he cannot refuse'?

Would he tend to be seen as reliable?

I have absolutely no idea I'm afraid. I've just recently purchased Sky Italia so I was watching today and saw him reporting at Trigoria (Roma's training HQ). Judging by his twitter account (@angelomangiante) , he's very close to things at Roma, so I'd suggest maybe so. Giordano may have a better idea.

Metro Article for instance reinterpreting &translating Italian" quotes" from a Uruguyan speaker from an Italian newspaper, in English, is not FACTS. Thats supposition. You are probably right but its not FACT. FACT is SRL scored v Scotland Wednesday.

Do you think he would still have joined if we hadn't 'made him an offer he cannot refuse'?

Do I think a comment like that is the easiest way to answer a question from an italian journo why such a highly rated player in italy would choose to leave for a small newcomer club in England instead of looking at offers from the likes of Inter and Juventus that was rumoured...??

Yes I do.

Of course the money is part of it but the whole nonsense talk here was that the money was the only reason, and that´s frankly "Barry Sanchez." (the clue is in the initials)

Metro Article for instance reinterpreting &translating Italian" quotes" from a Uruguyan speaker from an Italian newspaper, in English, is not FACTS. Thats supposition. You are probably right but its not FACT. FACT is SRL scored v Scotland Wednesday.

Okay, so all the translators are wrong and he didn't say it, he's here because he always dreamt of playing for Saints. :rolleyes:

Do I think a comment like that is the easiest way to answer a question from an italian journo why such a highly rated player in italy would choose to leave for a small newcomer club in England instead of looking at offers from the likes of Inter and Juventus that was rumoured...??

Yes I do.

Of course the money is part of it but the whole nonsense talk here was that the money was the only reason, and that´s frankly "Barry Sanchez." (the clue is in the initials)

Ahh I see, so he said he was only here for the money because its an easy way of handling an interview with the Italian press.

I don't see what the problem is. We can't offer European football, a history of challenging for and winning trophiesor even a fantastic city to live in. So we have to offer big money, I just don't understand why some of you have got your head in the sand as to why some of these players are here. I doubt Ramirez, Lovern, Wanyama and Osvaldo knew anything about Southampton until we bid for them. And no, that isn't having a go at our club, that is the reality my mboard friends.

Or because, as he himself said, we showed we really wanted him....

Totally agree re. Ramirez and Wanyama. Their motivations are far more mixed and complex than some on here care to admit. But you're fighting a losing battle. The same lazy **** will be trotted out time and time again.

Totally agree re. Ramirez and Wanyama. Their motivations are far more mixed and complex than some on here care to admit. But you're fighting a losing battle. The same lazy **** will be trotted out time and time again.

So when Ramirez said 'they give me so much money' what he meant was that he couldn't wait to move to the glorious city of Southampton and fullfil the dream of every South American.

I don't mind what happens regarding Osvaldo as I feel loyal & concerned for Rickie even though i feel its in his and saints longer term interests to take the pressure off of him by having another punta in the team. ( Italian for key striker). But what i think is not fair is the character assassination of any player we are looking to buy - or have bought - based upon the notion that the ONLY thing that we have in our favour is plenty Wonga. IF SRL jRod Bigvjc and others are just like that well the ultimate end game or end result of that way of thinking is for us all to stop supporting the team because they are a shower of mercenary sh@ts undeserving of our unconditional support. I been supporting 40 years. Im not stopping now. I hate the £££ side of it but as long as its not 100% then we got something to support yet.

Ahh I see, so he said he was only here for the money because its an easy way of handling an interview with the Italian press.

I don't see what the problem is. We can't offer European football, a history of challenging for and winning trophiesor even a fantastic city to live in. So we have to offer big money, I just don't understand why some of you have got your head in the sand as to why some of these players are here. I doubt Ramirez, Lovern, Wanyama and Osvaldo knew anything about Southampton until we bid for them. And no, that isn't having a go at our club, that is the reality my mboard friends.

Of course it is, but as I tried to say. When they are approached they would look at an overall picture but all that is stated here are that "they are only here for the money" which is wrong...

Surely if its simple as you suggest and all about money, the likes of Osvaldo would already be in the squad for tomorrow.

Osvaldo obviously has his place in the national squad to think about, I'm sure he would have discussed that this week whilst on duty with the side.

Yep but once every fullmoon I have some strength to (try to) discuss it with "them" ;)

Of course it is, but as I tried to say. When they are approached they would look at an overall picture but all that is stated here are that "they are only here for the money" which is wrong...

Do you think Ramirez and Wanyama would have joined if we'd have offered them the same terms as they were on at their current clubs?

Yep but once every fullmoon I have some strength to (try to) discuss it with "them" ;)

I don't know why you have a problem with it. If you were offered a 25% pay increase to so the same job you'd take it, you'd still try hard and work for the company, why should a footballer be any different? Its just much bigger sums involved. We can't offer any of the things a top player would want right now so we we've to make sure its worth their while financially.

Footballers aren't the only people who move jobs because of money.

I don't know why you have a problem with it. If you were offered a 25% pay increase to so the same job you'd take it, you'd still try hard and work for the company, why should a footballer be any different? Its just much bigger sums involved. We can't offer any of the things a top player would want right now so we we've to make sure its worth their while financially.

And?

So its not all about the money then.

When a player is quoted as saying 'they give me so much money' then it gives a clue as to their motivation, no?

Or maybe the translators are wrong and the journos made the quote up as has been claimed. :lol:

Err, it was a question numbnuts, not quoting you.

You can read my posts, or I can try a final time......ok I´ll try.

The only thing I´m trying to say here is that money is not the only reason why footballers choose to go to Southampton.

Is it an important part, yes. But is it the only reason, no.

Capiche?

Do you think Ramirez and Wanyama would have joined if we'd have offered them the same terms as they were on at their current clubs?

Wanyama possibly yes - as he always wanted to play in the Prem. By contrast, staying in Scotland would mean question marks over whether he could perform at the highest level.

You can read my posts, or I can try a final time......ok I´ll try.

The only thing I´m trying to say here is that money is not the only reason why footballers choose to go to Southampton.

Is it an important part, yes. But is it the only reason, no.

Capiche?

Why would a player chose Southampton over Liverpool and Spurs as it was claimed Ramirez did?

Sorry, I missed the above post. Good point well made.

When a player is quoted as saying 'they give me so much money' then it gives a clue as to their motivation, no?

Or maybe the translators are wrong and the journos made the quote up as has been claimed. :lol:

Out of curiousity...

Why is THAT particular quote trumphing the other ones?

I really wish that some of you guys could write some sort of guideline to which quotes and such one should believe cause I´m getting very confused here.....

COuld you or some of your friends do that you think??

We are so lucky that this forum has such strong willed posters who can keep us on track while arguing that a Translator who Interprets a language can produce output which although interpreted is in fact a fact.

Damn I miss the days before Twitter & Twits

So you're also claiming the translator got it wrong and Ramirez didnt say 'they give me so much money'

We're talking about Osvaldo -you just said -well speculated- that Osvaldo's determination to make the World Cup squad might explain his reluctance to join us, even though reports suggest we've offered the most money.

Or Damiao's admission that he wants to join a more 'ambitious' club - I guess that's to do with money as well. Or may be something's been lost in translation.

Why would a player chose Southampton over Liverpool and Spurs as it was claimed Ramirez did?

Playing time?

Going to a club that wants to build a team around him?

Maybe listan to quotes the player gave as you demanding that we should do if the quotes suit your view on the thing??

Out of curiousity...

Why is THAT particular quote trumphing the other ones?

I really wish that some of you guys could write some sort of guideline to which quotes and such one should believe cause I´m getting very confused here.....

COuld you or some of your friends do that you think??

Nothing to be confused about. A player has said he's been made a great financial offer he can't refuse. Its finely simple. As is the FACT we can't offer players European football, challenging for trophies or a fantastic place to live, if looking a ponies and cream teas in Lyndhurst aren't your thing of course, so we have to make ourselves attractive. How do we do that? Well 'the project' is one way and also by putting our money where our mouth is and stumping up the cash. I don't have a problem with it, there Soccerball, it seems some of you lot do though.

We're talking about Osvaldo -you just said -well speculated- that Osvaldo's determination to make the World Cup squad might explain his reluctance to join us, even though reports suggest we've offered the most money.

Or Damiao's admission that he wants to join a more 'ambitious' club - I guess that's to do with money as well. Or may be something's been lost in translation.

Well why not, people are claim Ramiez didn't really say what he did, that was down to translation.

Players want ideally champions league football, trophies and money. If they can't have all three then its champions league and money. If they can't have both of them then its money. Now you tell me, how many of those 3 can we offer?

Players only going to clubs for the money does not mean that they aren't going to give their all, and to be honest I don't have a problem with that. Some might see it as a stepping stone to greater things, and I am fine with that too. Actually most probably see Saints as a stepping stone and their aim is to play for the ManUs, Real Madrids, Bayerns etc etc of this world, which we aren't. This season is a little different what with the World Cup coming up, and with Osvaldo, he is in and out of the team so really needs to demonstrate that he can be an indispensable part of the Italian WC team. He may well be right in thinking that Saints aren't the best option for him to shine, and this is most likely his last chance of going to a WC so it is fully understandable that he is looking for "better options". If it comes down to us being his 3rd or 4th choice and him actually ending up here because those clubs ahead of us not wanting him, then I am sure that he will still give 100%. In the scheme of things, we aren't a woeful option, just not the best.

Of course I am biased (like most all on here) and think that anyone who doesn't want to play for Saints doesn't have our ambition, vision and passion, but that really is looking through rose tinted glasses. We all think Saints is a wonderful club with a lot to offer, but in the scheme of things, there are much more attractive clubs than us (AT THE PRESENT TIME).

Dont see anyone claiming a "quote" was made up- only you. I question its accuracy not its provenance. You offer one and only one alternate explanation for the " lost in translation" quote- that it was made up - or true "FACT". There are others, you know it, i know it.

I could interpret Uruguyan/Spanish into Italian and then to English up to a point - but its human to take the easiest option two or three people down the line and end up with " they gave me so much money i had to accept". Yours suits your argument, other explanations might not.

The weakest part in your argument is your dependence upon third hand information. I cannot totally refute you- but neither can you insist that your opinion is " FACT.

Incidentally, have you ever heard that mercenary phrase " quoted" from any other footballer? Most of them accept the £££ is important but don't go the whole hog and say its everything. Makes GR a very exceptional- and interesting man if true.