p.s there may be

Monk

Hooiveld is utter **** at this level, Fonte and Yoshida are just about good enough for a bottom half team. CB is the only remaining weakness we've got.

Wow. Hooiveld acquitted himself well at times in my opinion. Yoshida is pretty solid bar a few mistakes, and Fonte reads the game well and puts in some great challenges.

Negative ninny.

Ah yes, the Times...Just saying it as I saw it. Him and J Rod weakest on the day. In my opinion.

Yet according to the BBC worthy of a place in the team of the day:

Team of the Day - August 17th

1. Asmir Begovic (Stoke City) made 10 saves in this game, equalling the joint-most he has ever made in a single Premier League game (v West Brom on 28/02/11).

2. Steven Whittaker (Norwich City) scored one and assisted the other of Norwich's two goals against Everton today.

3. Jose Fonte (Southampton) made 14 clearances, the joint-most today, as well as a league-high five interceptions.

4. Sylvain Distin (Everton) made more clearances (nine), blocks (two) and interceptions (four) than any of his Everton teammates today.

5. Jose Enrique (Liverpool) won 100% of his attempted tackles and completed 100% of his attempted dribbles as well as collecting a clean sheet today.

6. Ross Barkley (Everton) scored his first ever goal for Everton and completed 51 of the 53 passes he attempted.

7. Steven Gerrard (Liverpool) made 88 passes, only Arsenal's Aaron Ramsey made more today, of which three set up chances for teammates (none for Ramsey).

8. Kevin Nolan (West Ham United) scored on the opening day of the season for the second campaign in a row.

9. Danny Welbeck (Manchester United) has doubled his 2012-13 Premier League goals total in United's first game of 2013-14.

10. Christian Benteke (Aston Villa). His two goals today mean he has scored 16 in the PL this calendar year, at least four more than any other player.

11. Robin van Persie (Manchester United). Since January 2011, Robin van Persie has scored 76 Premier League goals, 27 more than any other player (Rooney, 49).

I agree that another top quality CB would improve us a lot, but I don't think we are necessarily weak beyond those two either. Fonte had a very decent game on Saturday and Hooiveld has shown himself to be up to the task when called upon. Both have proved themselves to be capable PL defenders. As back ups to Dejan & Yoshida, they're pretty good I'd say. You've also got Cork & Wanyama who can do a job at CB if we were ever facing a major injury crisis.

He had a decent game by his standards, but I saw enough last year to be a little worried, truth be told I think he is ok backup, but Id still be far happier with a better standard of CB if one is available.

Jos, I disagree entirely, when I watched him play on the surface I think he looks like he was doing a decent job but realistically I think his positional play is diabolical, as is his distribution. I lost count of the amount of times Yoshi had to bail him out and essentially get dragged out of position due to his positional ineptitude.

In short.... Im not a jos fan

Yet according to the BBC worthy of a place in the team of the day:

Team of the Day - August 17th

1. Asmir Begovic (Stoke City) made 10 saves in this game, equalling the joint-most he has ever made in a single Premier League game (v West Brom on 28/02/11).

2. Steven Whittaker (Norwich City) scored one and assisted the other of Norwich's two goals against Everton today.

3. Jose Fonte (Southampton) made 14 clearances, the joint-most today, as well as a league-high five interceptions.

4. Sylvain Distin (Everton) made more clearances (nine), blocks (two) and interceptions (four) than any of his Everton teammates today.

5. Jose Enrique (Liverpool) won 100% of his attempted tackles and completed 100% of his attempted dribbles as well as collecting a clean sheet today.

6. Ross Barkley (Everton) scored his first ever goal for Everton and completed 51 of the 53 passes he attempted.

7. Steven Gerrard (Liverpool) made 88 passes, only Arsenal's Aaron Ramsey made more today, of which three set up chances for teammates (none for Ramsey).

8. Kevin Nolan (West Ham United) scored on the opening day of the season for the second campaign in a row.

9. Danny Welbeck (Manchester United) has doubled his 2012-13 Premier League goals total in United's first game of 2013-14.

10. Christian Benteke (Aston Villa). His two goals today mean he has scored 16 in the PL this calendar year, at least four more than any other player.

11. Robin van Persie (Manchester United). Since January 2011, Robin van Persie has scored 76 Premier League goals, 27 more than any other player (Rooney, 49).

Steven Gerrard making 88 passes and 3 set up chances for his teammates ? But all he does is run around a lot, ruins the organisation of the team and doesnt keep possession well.

A good ITK never commits to times, names or dates. Just say everything, but also say nothing. Win/win :)

One ITK poster once committed more info "one in one out this week" when this was missed by two days the poster was lambasted and now has a legion of obsessed forum fans. Can’t therefore blame Monk for staying low profile and non committal

That in the know poster also said "Osvaldo won't be signing" - 2 days later......

I think we will still sign 2 more players a winger to replace Punch and another defender and will then let Fox or Jos move on. If Guly leaves aswell there could be an attacker/striker otherwise we will be leaving our squad too threadbare if we get a few injuries/suspension.

We do need to shift out Sharpe.Lee,Barnard,Forte,Hammond and Martin aswell if possible

I do wonder if we might go back for Banega at the end now we have landed all our other high profile targets.Might he be more inclined to say yes now we have got Osvaldo? buying into our project

I think we will still sign 2 more players a winger to replace Punch and another defender and will then let Fox or Jos move on. If Guly leaves aswell there could be an attacker/striker otherwise we will be leaving our squad too threadbare if we get a few injuries/suspension.

I'd say Isgrove is good enough - better than what we could buy unless we spend big. Omar Rowe can't be that far off the first team either

Don't think we will replace puncheon. Isgrove will be given chance to stake a claim for matchday squad. It is CB position we still need reinforcement. If lovren got injured then we are back to square one. Jos not good enough and it is only having shaw at LB covers his mistakes hence why he shows his true form when fox plays. Both useless. Yoshida adequate back up but gets caught square far too often. Fonte ok but only with the class of lovren beside him.

If we were to get a CB I would be over the moon but given poch talked up our 4 CB's as all being amazing players then I doubt this will happen unless we sell one of them or get injury.

With the group of strikers and attacking midfielders in the squad there isn't much of an opening for a winger except as an impact sub. My guess is also that Isgrove will get his chance. He's in the first team squad and I suspect the 1-year contract was just to be sure that his injury problems have been overcome. Can't really see what the point would be in buying a winger to push Lloyd down the pecking order or to spend £5m or whatever on a player who wouldn't be a regular starter.

If there is another player to come in, cover at LB seems to be what most of the fans think we need, but it depends on whether the coaches have as little confidence in Danny Fox as the fans. The fans always have the down on one player and currently that is Fox but it doesn't mean the negative reactions are justified as fans are not, in the main, qualified coaches.

Too true Professor, many fans seem to think JP is the new Zaha or whatever.

Imagine the forum if we bought Banega and it meant JRod (who fans thought has a shout of playing for England) or Lallana (who was picked for England) get benched for him.

(And don't give me the It will be Gaston nonsense, he'll likely be benched for Osvaldo according to the experts)

Fonte man of the match on the widely regarded as instructive "Whoscored" website - http://www.whoscored.com/Matches/719871/Live

Went about his business in a efficient, understated fashion befitting of a seasoned premier league performer IMHO.

Anyone not seeing Wanyama as man of the match is a dolt. Total joke they gave it to Malumba. Fonte was ok, nothing more.

With the group of strikers and attacking midfielders in the squad there isn't much of an opening for a winger except as an impact sub. My guess is also that Isgrove will get his chance. He's in the first team squad and I suspect the 1-year contract was just to be sure that his injury problems have been overcome. Can't really see what the point would be in buying a winger to push Lloyd down the pecking order or to spend £5m or whatever on a player who wouldn't be a regular starter.

If there is another player to come in, cover at LB seems to be what most of the fans think we need, but it depends on whether the coaches have as little confidence in Danny Fox as the fans. The fans always have the down on one player and currently that is Fox but it doesn't mean the negative reactions are justified as fans are not, in the main, qualified coaches.

Have you seen Fox play? He's really not up to it.

I don't believe anyone said that's ALL he does, or that he didn't have good games. That's the problem with forums, you make a criticism of a player, and people jump on it as absolute, waiting for a chance to show it up based on one game. All my points on Gerrard were based on 10 years or more of watching him, so forgive me for not changing my mind after his great performance at home to Stoke.

If you think he's been a great England player and we've had a great midfield and dominated games then good for you, keep believing it and keep enjoying it. You're entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to think it's naive.

I knew you'd bite adrian but I didnt realise you'd get annoyed about it, sorry bud

FWIW if we would have played one of either Lampard or Gerrard instead of attempting to accomodate them both we would have had much more success. You know my thoughts on who I would pick, but either way, with Scholes, Gerrard and Lampard at your disposal it shows up what a waste of talent the England managers at the time subjected us to.

Too true Professor, many fans seem to think JP is the new Zaha or whatever.

Imagine the forum if we bought Banega and it meant JRod (who fans thought has a shout of playing for England) or Lallana (who was picked for England) get benched for him.

(And don't give me the It will be Gaston nonsense, he'll likely be benched for Osvaldo according to the experts)

Hey Phil, I'm one of those that think Jrod has a shout of playing for England. I can see in him attributes from all the current England starting forwards (Welbeck, Sturridge, Lambert, Rooney, Carroll), except I think that his finishing has let him down a bit and being played out of position/ learning how to play in a not conventional number 9 role ( however you want to put it) at beginning of last season disrupted his development.

I think Jrod has got pace at good levels, power at good levels and growing, technique which is improving and hopefully will continue to improve playing in this saints side, attitude outstanding and work-rate which is excellent, aerial ability which is fairly good and shooting which is fair but too often at the goalie - needs to aim for the backl of the net not the centre which is a nerves/confidence thing to guarantee his shot is on target basically .... His composure at the death is the missing element. Not ruthless and devastating in his finishing yet. If he gets that then I see an England call up. He also has age on his side.

Hey Phil, I'm one of those that think Jrod has a shout of playing for England. I can see in him attributes from all the current England starting forwards (Welbeck, Sturridge, Lambert, Rooney, Carroll), except I think that his finishing has let him down a bit and being played out of position/ learning how to play in a not conventional number 9 role ( however you want to put it) at beginning of last season disrupted his development.

I think Jrod has got pace at good levels, power at good levels and growing, technique which is improving and hopefully will continue to improve playing in this saints side, attitude outstanding and work-rate which is excellent, aerial ability which is fairly good and shooting which is fair but too often at the goalie - needs to aim for the backl of the net not the centre which is a nerves/confidence thing to guarantee his shot is on target basically .... His composure at the death is the missing element. Not ruthless and devastating in his finishing yet. If he gets that then I see an England call up. He also has age on his side.

I agree entirely, he had a little run in the middle of last season where he showed he could score goals.

Composure comes with experience (Simon Kerrigan is the example of why it is an issue!)

I just find it amusing that there have been some wailing at the loss of JP when we have bought in Osvaldo who would clearly block his route to the first team. Who would we drop next IF for example we brought in Banega?

Anyways it makes the next couple of weeks interesting that there may be one more coming, I'm OK with our CB pairing and back up this year and I NEVER want to see us buying Delap's Kenton's & Telfers again as "Cover" or "Squad" players

I'd say Isgrove is good enough - better than what we could buy unless we spend big. Omar Rowe can't be that far off the first team either

I agree. Without JP I'd rather give Isgrove the chance, or even Rowe if there is a bench place open for them.

I'm very proud of having the youngest EPL team with the most british players coming from the best british academy....We have always known that buying our way into the top four is virtually impossible, and that wheeler dealering our way into the top four virtually the same, but doing so by creating World Class players of our own plus a bit of the first two means, well then its not a total fantasy. Even being competitive again this year with this team is a massive result. A top ten finish would be outstanding and anything above last year job done imo.

Adam Blackmore ‏@bigadamsport

In answer to questions, I think MP is happy with #saintsfc squad now - BUT I think they will add if a deal is right, if it's good business

Ah ha, so when the Merry Go Round stops it will be interesting to see if any clubs in Europe that have money issues decide they need a last minute Panic Sale of a gem.

Kind of the complete opposite of Arsenal & Newcastle then. (Panic buy of a Donkey)

Ah ha, so when the Merry Go Round stops it will be interesting to see if any clubs in Europe that have money issues decide they need a last minute Panic Sale of a gem.

Kind of the complete opposite of Arsenal & Newcastle then. (Panic buy of a Donkey)

4 great signings IMO, so anything else a lovely bonus! Very unsaints like lol and I love it!

Anyways it makes the next couple of weeks interesting that there may be one more coming, I'm OK with our CB pairing and back up this year and I NEVER want to see us buying Delap's Kenton's & Telfers again as "Cover" or "Squad" players

I don't get your examples here - Delap was a starter for over 5 years and as if we could forget, club record purchase for about ten years, Telfer was a starter for his entire time with the club. Kenton (and the likes of Mikael Nilsson and Federico Arias) I'll give you.

Isn't the issue more "when the merry-go-round stops and one of the big clubs decides they need a last minute BUY of a Saints gem" ?

Good job Schneiderlin would be perceived as another work in progress by some Gooners, takes him out of the equation.

From SSN live transfer feed:

More from Sky Sports News' Dharmesh Sheth now, this time on Scott Sinclair's future. It's understood Sinclair will take a medical and discuss personal terms with West Brom in the next 24 hours. Manchester City were after a permanent move, while West Brom wanted a loan. The clubs have found a compromise, with Sinclair initially joining on a season-long loan with an option to join permanently.

Sounds like we can forget about Sinclair unless we attempt to hijack the deal at the last minute. Probably too far down the line now though.

Would have been a decent signing - think his pace would have been a pretty handy asset against tired legs after we've pressed the life out of the opposition.

That said, not sure how suited the rest of his game is to Poch's pressing style. His wages (£45k per week) are also ridiculous for his actual ability. Unless he took a wage cut he'd be one of our highest earners, and not really sure he deserves to fall into that bracket.

Sounds like we can forget about Sinclair unless we attempt to hijack the deal at the last minute. Probably too far down the line now though.

Would have been a decent signing - think his pace would have been a pretty handy asset against tired legs after we've pressed the life out of the opposition.

That said, not sure how suited the rest of his game is to Poch's pressing style. His wages (£45k per week) are also ridiculous for his actual ability. Unless he took a wage cut he'd be one of our highest earners, and not really sure he deserves to fall into that bracket.

Not sure how our pressing game tires out the opposition. Would have thought we'd be the tired ones.

Dare I say James Milner would suit the pressing style better? Works his socks off.

Not sure how our pressing game tires out the opposition. Would have thought we'd be the tired ones.

Dare I say James Milner would suit the pressing style better? Works his socks off.

Not exactly. Obviously demands a lot of fitness - hence the double training sessions - but the idea with Poch's tactics is that the higher up the pitch you win back possession, the less actual effort you need to have to get nearer to the opponents goal.

Because we win possession back so early it is the opposition that then chases the ball, often less efficiently, which then impacts their energy levels.

Milner would be a great signing though, agreed.

I think `clearances' must be long passes to absolutely no one, because I certainly remember a lot those. He had a shocker with the ball. Did OK without it.

Anyone not seeing Wanyama as man of the match is a dolt. Total joke they gave it to Malumba. Fonte was ok, nothing more.

Malumbo had a great game for WBA. Wanyama was undoubtedly the best player in the first half, but Malumbo was the best player on the park in the second half for me. Why Arsenal haven't come in for someone like him I will never know. I know they have Diaby, but he's always injured.