p.s there may be

Monk

There's a big difference between the left back ability of a left back who can attack, and left winger who might be asked to defend.

If we sign him and then "Stewart Downing him" I'll be stunned.

Yes I think you are right. Its very rare - in fact I'm trying to think but cannot recall - for a left winger to revert to left back. But can think of loads that play or played left back and end up pretty much as a left winger for a lot of the time on the pitch. Its just a possible option that I thought about and had not seen discussed anywhere else that's all.

I think much more likely is that two out of Clyne,Chambers,Shaw will be our FB's this season with Clyne playing at LB if needs be rather than Fox - with Fox used there only in a real emergency. When Cork plays at RB and gets high up the pitch (like v Sociedad - who killed Lyon last night btw- we MUST be CL quality based on that ;-) ) I do get worried about his ability to turn and get back to cover quickly if we lose possession - so pace in the FB position in the way we play is not optional - its ESSENTIAL. That is why our CB's cannot play there in this formation, if they do we need play a different way.

In summary - if Luke gets injured and both CC and NC are fit we are still ok.We don't need mess around converting leftwingers into left backs.

In summary - if Luke gets injured and both CC and NC are fit we are still ok.We don't need mess around converting leftwingers into left backs.

I'm confused. So are you or are you not saying you envisage that Sinclair could play lb if we sign him?

Not a clue, I just know that Sinclair is not the only name that we looked at. It may well be that its not Sinclair they pursue.

The club may not pursue anyone, there is contact between Saints & a club which I am ASSUMING is Sinclair but contact doesnt mean anything yet.

I am surprised to see movement for one more player, let alone another. Unless players go.

I'm confused. So are you or are you not saying you envisage that Sinclair could play lb if we sign him?

I did suggest he might be tried in that position if Shaw was unavailable and had been retrained, yes. I also think its not very likely for reasons I have also noted. I think its helpful in analyzing potential signings like this to keep an open mind. Same with Osvaldo. If a possible outcome sounds stupid or ridiculous or whatever to anyone reading it - fair enough - when assessing possibilities you must start by including all of them, including the ridiculous. I don't think Osvaldo will play anywhere other than the most central of our strikers because he is a very good finisher and you usually put your very good finisher near the goals - but i don't rule out him coming in from the right hand side of the three AM's nor playing behind SRL in the second striker role. Not ruling it out.

I did suggest he might be tried in that position if Shaw was unavailable and had been retrained, yes. I also think its not very likely for reasons I have also noted. I think its helpful in analyzing potential signings like this to keep an open mind. Same with Osvaldo. If a possible outcome sounds stupid or ridiculous or whatever to anyone reading it - fair enough - when assessing possibilities you must start by including all of them, including the ridiculous. I don't think Osvaldo will play anywhere other than the most central of our strikers because he is a very good finisher and you usually put your very good finisher near the goals - but i don't rule out him coming in from the right hand side of the three AM's nor playing behind SRL in the second striker role. Not ruling it out.

Why would you train a right footed winger/striker to play left back? Do you really think he'd be happy playing out of position and second fiddle to an 18 year old?

He scored 8 Premier League goals in 2011/12 for Swansea, whilst playing in his best position, earnt a big money move where he didn't play. He isn't now going to join us to be a sub for an unnatural position. If he comes, it'll be as an attacking midfielder and for games plus a large wage.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Not a clue, I just know that Sinclair is not the only name that we looked at. It may well be that its not Sinclair they pursue.

The club may not pursue anyone, there is contact between Saints & a club which I am ASSUMING is Sinclair but contact doesnt mean anything yet.

I am surprised to see movement for one more player, let alone another. Unless players go.

So in summary...

Sinclair might sign, he might not, we might sign somebody else or we might sign nobody.

Top stuff, thanks for keeping us in the loop.

;) (winky tongue in cheek thingy etc.)

Why would you train a right footed winger/striker to play left back? Do you really think he'd be happy playing out of position and second fiddle to an 18 year old?

Of course he would not want to play second fiddle to an 18year old. But that 18 year old shares some important characteristics with him namely Pace and Dribbling (running with the ball) ability.

FB might be an ideal position for him to showcase those talents in our current formation. He is not likely to immediately get a game otherwise because he's basically an upgraded Puncheon as far as i can recall. The alternate is that he is added to the list of attacking midfielders/ strikers we already have in the team and fights it out with Jrod, Adam Lallana, Gaston Ramirez, Guly, Mayuka etc for a place. I have not seen him play since Swansea so have no idea what he's like nowadays but he used to be direct and speedy and good with ball at feet......

Edited by Giordano

I think it also helps to recognize that, while we're all focused on what looks like an exciting 2013-14 season, the key decision-makers at the club are also thinking 2, 3 and even 5 years down the road.

With some key players aging and the big name clubs sniffing around our young talent, I'm sure they've got a gazillion "what if?" scenarios in their minds, so flexibility is crucial.

So in summary...

Sinclair might sign, he might not, we might sign somebody else or we might sign nobody.

Top stuff, thanks for keeping us in the loop.

;) (winky tongue in cheek thingy etc.)

A good ITK never commits to times, names or dates. Just say everything, but also say nothing. Win/win :)

One ITK poster once committed more info "one in one out this week" when this was missed by two days the poster was lambasted and now has a legion of obsessed forum fans. Can’t therefore blame Monk for staying low profile and non committal

A good ITK never commits to times, names or dates. Just say everything, but also say nothing. Win/win :)

One ITK poster once committed more info "one in one out this week" when this was missed by two days the poster was lambasted and now has a legion of obsessed forum fans. Can’t therefore blame Monk for staying low profile and non committal

And another posts complete bol locks on a regular basis.

I think you have bit of a thing for me.

Not convinced we have ever been in for Sinclair this summer.

We have

That said Im not massively bothered if we sign Sinclair or not, of course he is a decent player and will definately add something to the team but I do think we have good options there anyway and honestly believe, from what I have seen a heard from the training ground, that Isgrove will make good strides this year.

A CB would impress me more though, think beyond Yoshi and Lovren we look a little weak.

A CB would impress me more though, think beyond Yoshi and Lovren we look a little weak.

I agree that another top quality CB would improve us a lot, but I don't think we are necessarily weak beyond those two either. Fonte had a very decent game on Saturday and Hooiveld has shown himself to be up to the task when called upon. Both have proved themselves to be capable PL defenders. As back ups to Dejan & Yoshida, they're pretty good I'd say. You've also got Cork & Wanyama who can do a job at CB if we were ever facing a major injury crisis.

I agree that another top quality CB would improve us a lot, but I don't think we are necessarily weak beyond those two either. Fonte had a very decent game on Saturday and Hooiveld has shown himself to be up to the task when called upon. Both have proved themselves to be capable PL defenders. As back ups to Dejan & Yoshida, they're pretty good I'd say. You've also got Cork & Wanyama who can do a job at CB if we were ever facing a major injury crisis.

Hooiveld is utter **** at this level, Fonte and Yoshida are just about good enough for a bottom half team. CB is the only remaining weakness we've got.

Fonte wasn't great on Saturday. Kept chipping it to nowhere in particular.