Puncheon to Palace - Official (Season Loan)

Saint-Armstrong

I think this is absolutely ridiculous personally.

Why sign him up to a new contract at the end of last season to then tell him 'you're no longer wanted' 1 week into the new season, it's absolutely ridiculous, baffling and extremely dissappointing.

Severely ****ed off, thought Puncheon was one of our best players last year and contributed vital goals to the team overrall.

Raging.

Are you serious? You don't like the club progressing by signing better players and developing?

Puncheon is fine to start for a bottom half Premier League team or be cover for a mid table team. But Saints have aspirations beyond that and Puncheon will struggle to get into our matchday 18 let alone the starting XI. Understandable why he'd want to goto Palace, as he won't play here.

Whilst I agree we need to progress, in my opinion Puncheon had a better body of work last season than Lallana, JWP, Davis, Guly, and Ramirez. Whilst I can understand why Lallana, JWP, and Ramirez may still be at the club why have we let Jason Puncheon go ahead of the likes of Guly and Davis? In my opinion we have allowed weaker players to remain at the club while Puncheon has left. There is no transfer fee, just the benefit of having his wages paid, I presume.

On that basis I can only assume there are non-footballing reasons that have contributed to this move as otherwise it makes little sense on the face of it.

This is a surprise if true.

Well that's that then - either we're planning on bringing another AM in (Yay! Most likely I think...) or using Osvaldo or Lambert in a deeper role (they can't do that all season) or relying on youth players like Rowe and Isgrove to fill the gaps (Massive confidence in both if so.)

From what I've seen of him, I'd take Banega in a heartbeat (but then yes, even De Ridder looked good in videos), but I would also think we're in the hunt for someone like Sinclair. Apparently he was due to sign for WBA but that still hasn't happened, so maybe he's still weighing up his options or waiting for a permanent move.

Feel sorry for Punch. Ok he was a stubborn S.O.B before not wanting to play for us, but differences were resolved and he actually played quite well for us last season. Still Holloway must be a fan, he had him at Blackpool, and this way he gets more regular game time in the Premier League.

Didn't he only sign a new contract last season though? Weird planning if so...

Why sign him up to a new contract at the end of last season to then tell him 'you're no longer wanted' 1 week into the new season, it's absolutely ridiculous, baffling and extremely dissappointing.

Severely ****ed off, thought Puncheon was one of our best players last year and contributed vital goals to the team overrall.

Raging.

You have become a parody of yourself pal.

For once, I agree with MLG. Progression, not sentiment is the way forward.

I think that's rubbish. So Lallana, j rod and Ramirez have shown they should be in?

Yes, the three of them are better than Puncheon. Which is why they are playing for Saints and Puncheon appears to be signing for Palace who are likely going to struggle this season. Saints have now added Osvaldo, who moves Puncheon further down the pecking order for one of the front four positions.

As I said earlier... Puncheon is fine to start for a bottom half Premier League team or be cover for a mid table team. But Saints have aspirations beyond that as they look to progress. If Puncheon wants to play regularly he is going to need to move, which is what he appears to be doing.

Edited by Matthew Le God

So, many of the moan boys are out again and have got something to moan about, I´m happy for you....

About Puncheon. Often flattered to decieve imo, scored vital goals but probably played at his max. The club is moving forward, other players have much higher potential and are therefore (rightly so) choosen over him. Likeable guy but the club moves forward and if he wants to be guaranteed a certain amount of game time it´s the right choice for everybody to part ways....

Raging.

So negative, why the hate and anger?

What if the conversation was actually Palace asking about him, Punch asking us if he would get regular games, us saying we can't promise that but he will get game time, but us also respecting he wants to play week-in, week-out?

We were never going to offer him a guaranteed starting place, so if somebody else is and playing is his priority, why stand in his way? So long as the club feels they have the right cover in the squad, we're all good.

Yes, the three of them are better than Puncheon. Which is why they are playing for Saints and Puncheon appears to be signing for Palace who are likely going to struggle this season. Saints have now added Osvaldo, who moves Puncheon further down the pecking order for one of the front four positions.

As I said earlier... Puncheon is fine to start for a bottom half Premier League team or be cover for a mid table team. But Saints have aspirations beyond that as they look to progress. If Puncheon wants to play regularly he is going to need to move, which is what he appears to be doing.

No they are not. I think you're wrong. Don't understand where those opinions are coming from.

Whilst I agree we need to progress, in my opinion Puncheon had a better body of work last season than Lallana, JWP, Davis, Guly, and Ramirez. Whilst I can understand why Lallana, JWP, and Ramirez may still be at the club why have we let Jason Puncheon go ahead of the likes of Guly and Davis? In my opinion we have allowed weaker players to remain at the club while Puncheon has left. There is no transfer fee, just the benefit of having his wages paid, I presume.

On that basis I can only assume there are non-footballing reasons that have contributed to this move as otherwise it makes little sense on the face of it.

Out of the three of Guly, Davis and Puncheon. Who would you think will be most disappointed if he wasn´t given game time and therefore might not be the best to have in the squad??

Seems a bit foolish to loan one of our better players to our rival?

Of course you are likely to be your usual WUM self. But who knows...

You think the team favourite to go down are Saints' rival this season? Puncheon won't be able to play against us and could potentially help Palace take points off those clubs that really are our rivals in mid table and higher this season.

Edited by Matthew Le God

What if the conversation was actually Palace asking about him, Punch asking us if he would get regular games, us saying we can't promise that but he will get game time, but us also respecting he wants to play week-in, week-out?

We were never going to offer him a guaranteed starting place, so if somebody else is and playing is his priority, why stand in his way? So long as the club feels they have the right cover in the squad, we're all good.

People seem to forget that these loans/transfers can be instigated by a party other than SFC.

This is a surprise if true.

Well that's that then - either we're planning on bringing another AM in (Yay! Most likely I think...) or using Osvaldo or Lambert in a deeper role (they can't do that all season) or relying on youth players like Rowe and Isgrove to fill the gaps (Massive confidence in both if so.)

From what I've seen of him, I'd take Banega in a heartbeat (but then yes, even De Ridder looked good in videos), but I would also think we're in the hunt for someone like Sinclair. Apparently he was due to sign for WBA but that still hasn't happened, so maybe he's still weighing up his options or waiting for a permanent move.

Feel sorry for Punch. Ok he was a stubborn S.O.B before not wanting to play for us, but differences were resolved and he actually played quite well for us last season. Still Holloway must be a fan, he had him at Blackpool, and this way he gets more regular game time in the Premier League.

Didn't he only sign a new contract last season though? Weird planning if so...

Would probably be worse business to let him go on a free, dont you think?

Out of the three of Guly, Davis and Puncheon. Who would you think will be most disappointed if he wasn´t given game time and therefore might not be the best to have in the squad??

Complete speculation again. But would be most dissapointed as he's the best player.

I like the type of player that Punch is and the type of football that it brings i.e. running at players, high energy/tempo, not scared to have a shot from distance (not always on target!), we'll gloss over trying to take on 1 too many players at times. He probably scored the most memorable goals last season after SRL.

However IMO he will at best only be an impact sub which he could probably accept but with the amount of mid field players now available I presume that he would not be satisfied with not even being on the bench for some matches. If he felt or was told that this was the likely scenario this season he may initiated a loan move (if this loan rumour is true).

No they are not. I think you're wrong. Don't understand where those opinions are coming from.

He Makes it up as he goes along.... Was waxing lyrical about Puncheon only a few weeks back.

Typical of some on SWF...... seen it so many times now. Sharp, Hammond, Adkins now Puncheon. Everyone raves about them, club then moves or tries to move them on and the same doughnuts worshipping day earlier start posting "never good enough"

Based on the same club behavior can see Clyne moving on too. We can start another team with the rejects, discarded and sell by daters.

Might add, what better way to get his way than move out all the older UK players and have the nippers who'll do whatever they're told.

Edited by ART

Why give him a new contract at the end of last season then?

He should be getting regular games, he's actually a right winger rather that Jay Rod. It just baffles me.

Of course you are likely to be your usual WUM self. But who knows...

You think the team favourite to go down are Saints' rival this season? Puncheon won't be able to play against us and could potentially help Palace take points of those clubs that really are our rivals in mid table and higher this season.

Far to logical for this place.

By signing multi million pound players there are bound to be casualties. I don't see CP being a competitor, well I hope not anyway, we should be far superior to them with our squad or MP will be on his toes before the new year

Raging.

I'm slightly confused by it, but it's certainly not a move to promote ''Rage'' and ''Anger'' from me, and not too many others I wouldn't have thought.

Calm down.

Why give him a new contract at the end of last season then?

He should be getting regular games, he's actually a right winger rather that Jay Rod. It just baffles me.

We offered the contract as we don't want him to walk out for nothing and, I assume, still believe he has something to offer us (he does, IMO). But if the chance to play more regularly comes along, should we say no and make him sit on the bench?

If he was so incredibly good that he was guaranteed a starting place it would be different. But he isn't, he's not even in the first 6 or 7 names on the teamsheet and we have other options in his position.

If he was happy to sit on the bench and wait, superb for us to have that option. But I say fair play to the lad for wanting more regular games.

As somebody quite rightly says above, it's not Punch of Saints that would have instigated this, but Palace. It's not like we signed him up and have now said he isn't good enough, off you jog...

The fact that Puncheon has been loaned out by Guly is still kicking about the club is borderline criminal imho

Perhaps that's because nobody has come to us and asked to take him. Somebody did with Puncheon and we seem to have said yes.

Same with Hammond, Barnard, Sharp etc... when somebody wants them, I'm sure we'll look at their offer. But if nobody wants him...

The fact that Puncheon has been loaned out by Guly is still kicking about the club is border line criminal imho

If Puncheon is only attracting loan offers from Palace, who would Guly Do Prado attract? It'll be Championship or abroad possibly back to Italy or Brazil. If someone did bid for Guly Do Prado I doubt the club would fight to keep hold of him.

Neither Puncheon or Guly would play much this season and the club is looking to progress. To do that you sign better players than you have in the first XI and sell/loan/release players at the other end of the squad, promoting good youth prospects as you go.

Flooding and bloating the first team squad with average/below average players is what Rupert Lowe did and it added in disaster.

I agree with MLG. Progression, not sentiment is the way forward.
Edited by Matthew Le God

Perhaps that's because nobody has come to us and asked to take him. Somebody did with Puncheon and we seem to have said yes.

Same with Hammond, Barnard, Sharp etc... when somebody wants them, I'm sure we'll look at their offer. But if nobody wants him...

What is it now 14 out 3 in? MOPO does realise its a long season right?

Raging.

Get over yourself and stop trying to be a forum superstar.

If Puncheon is only attracting loan offers from Palace, who would Guly Do Prado attract? It'll be Championship or abroad possibly back to Italy or Brazil.

Neither Puncheon or Guly would play much this season and the club is looking to progress. To do that you sign better players than you have in the first XI and sell/loan/release players at the other end of the squad, promoting good youth prospects as you go.

Flooding and bloating the first team squad with average/below average players is what Rupert Lowe did and it added in disaster.

Id be happy with one in one out approach.... But 14 out 3 in doesnt leave us with a "bloated squad" mate far from it

ART, you are a complete and utter lunatic.
I'm hereby warn you, any further such use of such statements and I shall take necessary action for abuse of confidence. I may be severely physically disabled, confined to my apartment, but mentally I have above average capacities and I.Q. Night after night you and your minions harass me for no reason.

Id be happy with one in one out approach.... But 14 out 3 in doesnt leave us with a "bloated squad" mate far from it

The club can only name 25 senior players, plus it has one of the best youth academies in the country to draw upon for extra numbers.

I'm hereby warn you, any further such use of such statements and I shall take necessary action for abuse of confidence. I may be severely physically disabled, confined to my apartment, but mentally I have above average capacities and I.Q. Night after night you and your minions harass me for no reason.

I don't harass you, it wasn't meant as an attack either. You just post some crazy stuff!

Well said mate! Mods seem to ignore the rat packs bullying day after day......

Seems a bit foolish to loan one of our better players to our rival?

Only signed a new contract recently...... Club needs to make its mind up. Unless they have another coming in or needed him of the payroll to complete Osvaldo this seems a dumb move

As I understand it, there are a few reasons to offer a contract to a player. One of these is because you want him to stay. Another is because you want his value to I increase. Much better than not renewing and he goes on a free.

Looks like the latter option in this case,

I do believe our manager knows how many games are in a season, yes.

Our squad needed to trim down, would you prefer we kept on paying the wages of those 14, just so we had a big squad? Do you really think Chaplow and Co. would be able to contribute positively to our team?

And let's not forget our younger players coming through, who don't count towards our maximum squad size, but do seem ready to take the place of Hammond, Sharp and others. Seems sensible to me, we get the quality cover we need, we promote youth players, we give youth experience and occasional playing time, we save wages and we do all this without any sacrifice in quality (based on what we've seen so far).

all this anger by some of you....you are automatically making assumptions that the club wanted rid......none of you know this like none of you had a clue apart from Monk what was going on with Osvaldo.....and look how stupid you all looked when he signed.

Why wait for the facts to come out???....just go ahead and blame someone because you need your scapegoats!

As I understand it, there are a few reasons to offer a contract to a player. One of these is because you want him to stay. Another is because you want his value to I increase. Much better than not renewing and he goes on a free.

Looks like the latter option in this case,

It was an odd one, but if you look at his appearances following Poch's arrival...they slowly and steadily decreased. After being a nailed on starter for Adkins, he was reduced to a bit part player towards the end of last season. So looking it it like that, I don't think Poch ever fancied him as much as Adkins did.

Good player, but not at the level we want. Hence why he's gone to Palace, and they're also not our rivals.

all this anger by some of you....you are automatically making assumptions that the club wanted rid......none of you know this like none of you had a clue apart from Monk what was going on with Osvaldo.....and look how stupid you all looked when he signed.

Why wait for the facts to come out???....just go ahead and blame someone because you need your scapegoats!

You mean he just decided to pitch up at Palace on the off-chance and the club doesn't know ? :D