Puncheon to Palace - Official (Season Loan)

Saint-Armstrong

I'm hereby warn you, any further such use of such statements and I shall take necessary action for abuse of confidence. I may be severely physically disabled, confined to my apartment, but mentally I have above average capacities and I.Q. Night after night you and your minions harass me for no reason.

Sheer comedy gold. Thankyou.

24 players including 3 GKs and 4 or 5 that are not prem quality. Its a long season and Puncheon could have assisted us this season. Like i said..... Loan him out, but you need to replace him

So you want to add another 6-8 players of PL quality??

Cost for that if you had to guess??

It was an odd one, but if you look at his appearances following Poch's arrival...they slowly and steadily decreased. After being a nailed on starter for Adkins, he was reduced to a bit part player towards the end of last season. So looking it it like that, I don't think Poch ever fancied him as much as Adkins did.

Good player, but not at the level we want. Hence why he's gone to Palace, and they're also not our rivals.

Yep a good player but one who Potch likely didn't feel suited the way he wants to play. Hence his contract was likely only renewed to cover in case we weren't able to attract the likes of Osvaldo.

Be fairly disappointed if true, I don't think there was any reason for him to fall out of favour as much as he did. When he came on he produced some great performances and injected a lot of much needed energy. He was never afraid to run directly at the opposition unlike others and more often than not got an end result unlike others such as Jrod (who I've always felt has struggled both physically and with confidence on his own on the wing or up top)

Puncheon is a good player, otherwise Palace wouldn't take him but 8 goals in 65 appearances for Saints, which is quoted somewhere, isn't quite the impact needed. He did OK for us but if he is surplus to requirements it will be because the club don't feel he is quite good enough for the higher level that we now aspire to. SFC are now filling the team with players of international quality or potential and that is not Puncheon's level. Good luck to him.

Be fairly disappointed if true, I don't think there was any reason for him to fall out of favour as much as he did. When he came on he produced some great performances and injected a lot of much needed energy. He was never afraid to run directly at the opposition unlike others and more often than not got an end result unlike others such as Jrod (who I've always felt has struggled both physically and with confidence on his own on the wing or up top)

6-8 games of last season we created so few chances it was shocking..... Same theme on saturday lots of possesion and fancy stuff in the non threatening areas but final 3rd nothing/zero/ziltch

Puncheon offered us a direct threat in the final 3rd something we have been desperate for. To loan him out without a replacement is not very sensible. To loan him to a prem rival :facepalm:

Just hope we have one more coming in as we needed wide options even with Puncheon here

There better be clauses in place as part of this deal to prevent him playing in any game against us while on loan and to allow us to recall him at any time should MP deem it necessary; if not then this loan should not happen.

I've never been keen on loaning or selling to a direct rival; I just hope this does not come back and bite us on the backside down the line.

I really need an update to who our direct rivals are considered to be?

For me I thought Norwich, West Ham and maybe up the last years table to Swansea and even perhaps Everton this season...

But apparently Crystal Palace is one now....is that with Hull, Cardiff too??

It was an odd one, but if you look at his appearances following Poch's arrival...they slowly and steadily decreased. After being a nailed on starter for Adkins, he was reduced to a bit part player towards the end of last season. So looking it it like that, I don't think Poch ever fancied him as much as Adkins did.

Good player, but not at the level we want. Hence why he's gone to Palace, and they're also not our rivals.

Not at level we want? You do talk some drivel at times mate. A lot if what you say is spot on but you let yourself down with comments like that.

Not at level we want? You do talk some drivel at times mate. A lot if what you say is spot on but you let yourself down with comments like that.

Umm, ok. I think most people would agree with what I said.

We're signing players at the level of Osvaldo, Lovren and Wanyama. They are many levels above Puncheon.

We are building a team which will surpass his ability. That's no disrespect to Puncheon, but he's not a world beater and the plan is for us to do a lot better.

We're signing players at the level of Osvaldo, Lovren and Wanyama. They are many levels above Puncheon.

We are building a team which will surpass his ability. That's no disrespect to Puncheon, but he's not a world beater and the plan is for us to do a lot better.

So he's left for "Family reasons" but you decide he's also not good enough? You do talk some drivel at times mate

So he's left for "Family reasons" but you decide he's also not good enough? You do talk some drivel at times mate

I think Poch also decided he wasn't good enough.

Have a look at the stats from last year, he didn't fit in with what Poch was doing with the side. I think this move will open the door for another incoming as well.

The problem is mate so much of our fan base is a bit small time. Understandable seeing as we've been off the radar for so long. The fact is Wanyama, Lovren and Osvaldo are on another level to Puncheon.

I think he was starting to show under Adkins that he did have the ability that we want to get to. Think he's done we'll even in pre season appearances too. Could this not be true? Don't see Lallana or j rod getting to this so called level!

Nipper & I never really thought him good enough for the PL, but I know we are in the minority on that.

I agree with you. Looked great in our own half but lost composure far too many times when attacking. To me it seemed he had ability but not the final incisive brain to compute the final ball - always seemed to delay too long.

Also not so sure we will need to bring in a wide player, with our 4 up front pressing and rotating all the time any one of them ends up wide and then JWP sits in more for away games.

Good luck to him, he had some very good moments for us but IMHO this shows that MP believes we have better consistency now.

Not a world beater? You do talk some drivel mate

Puncheon is a good player, otherwise Palace wouldn't take him but 8 goals in 65 appearances for Saints, which is quoted somewhere, isn't quite the impact needed. He did OK for us but if he is surplus to requirements it will be because the club don't feel he is quite good enough for the higher level that we now aspire to. SFC are now filling the team with players of international quality or potential and that is not Puncheon's level. Good luck to him.

A sensible post, Saints are moving forward in terms of players. Why the fuss about someone who has had one ordinary season for us since signing. Maybe puncheon asked to go on loan ?... I definately will not lose sleep over it, he is as the professor states a "good player" but we are moving forward and what a squad full of better than just good.

bit odd, his partnership down the right side with Clyne was one the best things of last season . Can understand the family issues thing, remember mp saying in an interview that it was one of the reasons he was picked less frequently towards the end of last season. His partner recently had a child didn't she?

The problem is mate so much of our fan base is a bit small time. Understandable seeing as we've been off the radar for so long. The fact is Wanyama, Lovren and Osvaldo are on another level to Puncheon.
Puncheon is on the same level as a lot of our squad, why is he singled out? Who are we replacing him with?

Punch did a great job for us and will be sad to see him go. Especially to a ****** like Holloway. But it is obvious he won't get much playing time here now. I would rather keep him then send him to that ****ing **** Holloway. But knowing the don he got a good deal.

Just to be bit argumentative but just a few hours ago the club know exactly what it was doing and we were brilliant [for a majority on here it seemed] now with the rumour of one player being loaned out we suddenly don't know what were doing and making a big mistake?

Perhaps, I don't know obviously, the club has a plan and are happy to allow the player to be loaned out.

Look at me...

Puncheon is on the same level as a lot of our squad, why is he singled out? Who are we replacing him with?

Why do you think he has been singled out? The club haven't terminated his contract or put him on the transfer list, somebody came in for him, he has asked to go, we have said yes. That's not being singled out, that's being allowed to leave.

Those players who have even less to offer will no doubt experience the same if somebody wants to buy or loan them, but that doesn't seem to be happening at the moment.

Yes, you're right, he did become a bit part player at the end of last season.

I think what's worrying some though is that the players who were selected instead failed to win any of our last 6 games, scoring only 3 goals in the process (1 of which was scored by Puncheon himself from the bench!)

Yes, you're right, he did become a bit part player at the end of last season.

I think what's worrying some though is that the players who were selected instead failed to win any of our last 6 games, scoring only 3 goals in the process (1 of which was scored by Puncheon himself from the bench!)

That's a very fair and valid point, but hopefully our new £15m attacker will go some way to altering that stat!

This forum is great, isn't it? I love all the knee-jerk reactions and over-opinionated comments (of which I have definitely added a few in the past). :)

At least it shows we are passionate about our club, even if a few do descend to personal insults as they don't have the intelligence to explain their reasoning without trying to ridicule others. Talk like that at a game or in the pub and they'd get a smack in the mouth, but sat behind their keyboards they can come up with all sorts of drivel (note: I may be being insulting, but I'm not being personal....lol)

Back to topic: I'm with those who think JP is far enough down the order that it wouldn't have been long before he started getting frustrated, and his track record for being patient isn't very good.

Maybe the management feel that Isgrove has progressed enough to be above JP now, or maybe we have someone already lined up to come in and add something to the right hand side of the team.

I'm prepared to wait and see what happens before I make any criticisms. At this moment, and with the players at our disposal, he wouldn't even make the bench (in my opinion).

We may have been a little toothless on Saturday (I don't know as I haven't even seen any highlights other than the disallowed goal and the penalty), but I would have thought that the priority was to keep the defence tight first, and to take any opportunities that came our way. By all accounts the disallowed goal should have stood, and we WON the game.

Good enough for me as an opening to the season :)

People are so silly. I'm delighted about what's going on at the club. I just have reservations about loaning puncheon out as I think he's a good player who IMO was better than Lallana, j rod and gaston and s Davis last season and IMO has the ability to get to the next level.

Why do you think he has been singled out? The club haven't terminated his contract or put him on the transfer list, somebody came in for him, he has asked to go, we have said yes. That's not being singled out, that's being allowed to leave.

Those players who have even less to offer will no doubt experience the same if somebody wants to buy or loan them, but that doesn't seem to be happening at the moment.

So every player outside of our first 11 or first 18 that wants to leave and someone will take will be allowed to leave?

The reason things kicked off with him before is because he wasn't getting in the team, he probably asked for a move knowing how many players were ahead of him. Shame, but the alternative is disrupting the great team spirit we've built.

Complete speculation. Puncheon is very popular within the saints camp

Complete speculation. Puncheon is very popular within the saints camp

He hasnt speculated anything, all he did was commented on what happened the last time he failed to get games.

Hope he does well, glad he managed to put what happened behind him and find some form, he could do worse than palace IMO as Im not sure he is consistantly of this level