Puncheon to Palace - Official (Season Loan)

Saint-Armstrong

Good sensible move for all parties. Palace get a good player. Saints get a backup wage (partially?) off of the bill, and keep a reserve player fit, while probably helping Palace to take points off our rivals. If we need to recall I'm sure we will.

Basically, everyone wins. Good luck Punch.

I think there's a lot to be read into this. What's with the rattle throwing of some online?

The use of the words "has been allowed to" by the official announcement should end any doubt that this is Jason's decision.

It's for family reasons. The club seemingly didn't bank on losing him and certainly didn't try to ship him out. Good luck to the guy though.

Shortly after the birth of his child, JP thanked SFC for their support and he had time out of sessions, featuring from the bench more.

I'd say it's clear that for whatever reason, the issue remained. It's in the best interests of all to let him go.

What is refreshing is to be saying goodbye to Jason and thanking him for his efforts in keeping us up. Thanks Jason.

:thumbup:

A bit disappointed. Despite all the ups and downs I really like Puncheon. Sadly, I have a feeling that he won't play for us again after this. I know that Holloway likes him.

It makes sense as long as we get a replacement for the wing. Someone who can link up with Clyne as well as he did.

Totally agree. I'm sure there is no way the club would give him a new 3 (?) year deal and then look to ship him out. Obviously had issues settling after the birth of his latest child so let the guy leave - he did his bit for us last season.

Thanks for the efforts Punch in helping us stay up and helping yourself turn your career around. Best of luck at Palace.

Not that ridiculous is it. Bit of an over the top reaction!

It is. Instead of having a right winger, playing in that position and linking up with Clyne (when he's fit again) we've got f**king Jay Rod.

Unbelievable.

Chill Winston.

It's really not all that bad.

J-Rod is clearly preferred by MP, and I certainly agree with that.

There seems to be pretty substantial rumours that there will be a replacement coming in anyway. What's to get so het up about?

It is. Instead of having a right winger, playing in that position and linking up with Clyne (when he's fit again) we've got f**king Jay Rod.

Unbelievable.

Have you considered that we haven't really played with wingers since Pochettino took over? Its a bit useless to have a winger if you aren't going to use them.

I still think Puncheon could have been valuable for the team but if the coach doesn't plan on using him then what's the point on having him around?

NB, I personally doubt he will be replaced. We can already play a large number of players in our right-sided attacking position (Rodriguez, Ramirez, Davis, Isgrove, Osvaldo, Ward-Prowse, possibly even Lallana or Clyne (and even Guly if absolutely desperate)).

If we bring anyone else in during this window, I'd suggest a left back is far more likely.

Hmmm... I'm not so sure, I don't know the full details of JP's reasons but Croydon to Southampton is hardly Newcastle to Buenos Aires is it?

Having said that I do think the club have been sensible here.

Best of luck Jason and thanks.

don't see that he had much of a role with us this season anyway. Good player of course but we are determined to establish a pathway for our young lads (well those that merit their place anyway) and we've seemingly decided that JWP can do a similar or better job than JP. JWP puts in some nice balls and when you've just spent a shedload on Osvaldo that's not a bad attribute.

Bit of a contradictory piece actually.

Seems to suggest it was Puncheon's request to leave - 'has been allowed' - but then also talks about being left out of the squad last weekend and him 'seeking first-team football', which rather needlessly implies that he wasn't in Poch's plans this year.

Tone of the statement is caught between trying to save face and demonstrating that it wasn't the clubs decision to instigate the loan move, as well as suggesting that he was surplus to requirements anyway.

Edited by Toon Saint

don't see that he had much of a role with us this season anyway. Good player of course but we are determined to establish a pathway for our young lads (well those that merit their place anyway) and we've seemingly decided that JWP can do a similar or better job than JP. JWP puts in some nice balls and when you've just spent a shedload on Osvaldo that's not a bad attribute.

Agreed that JP's opportunities may have been limited for us this season but he was deemed worthy of a new contract less than 6 months ago so he must have figured somewhere in our plans.

Does suggest to me that someone else is on their way in.

Seems to suggest it was Puncheon's request to leave - 'has been allowed' - but then also talks about being left out of the squad last weekend and him 'seeking first-team football', which rather needlessly implies that he wasn't in Poch's plans this year.

Caught between trying to save face and demonstrating that it wasn't the clubs decision to instigate the loan move, as well as suggesting that he was surplus to requirements anyway.

He may have been in Poch's plans but as back-up. Given Puncheon's history it wouldn't be a surprise for him to find that undesirable. He requested a move, we allowed it... no contradiction for me.

Tone of the statement is caught between trying to save face and demonstrating that it wasn't the clubs decision to instigate the loan move, as well as suggesting that he was surplus to requirements anyway.

I dont see it that way. More that, he has found himself further down the pecking order, he ahs asked to leave, all things considered SFC have allowed it.

Unbelievable.

We don't play with wingers. Get. That. Into. Your...

Edited by mulletsaint
Out of order

Puncheon, who did not feature in the 18-strong squad for Southampton's opener at West Bromwich Albion last weekend, said he was thrilled at the chance to return to Palace where he had played as a boy.

"I think it's a great move for myself to come and play games," the 27-year-old said. "Obviously Crystal Palace are my hometown club and more importantly (manager) Ian Holloway is here as well.

"I actually played for Crystal Palace as a kid when I was eight. I left and there were a few times in my career that I was due to come back but didn't. Now I'm here that's the main thing.

"I've always as a young kid dreamed of playing at Selhurst Park, so it's a young boy's dream coming true."

Not too fussed at all as I don't think he would have been that close to the 18 man squad, let alone the starting eleven. Fair play to him for actually wanting to play football rather than many professionals who are happy to just go through the motions at training and take their pay cheque. Good for him, good for Palace and good for us as it frees up a squad space.

We don't play with wingers. Get. That. Into. Your...

I hear this a lot. Man City don't play with wingers either, but they bought Navas because having an intelligent, quick player in your formation who knows when to go inside but is still capable of beating his fullback to the byline when that is the better option is pretty useful, as demonstrated quite aptly against Newcastle.

I hear this a lot. Man City don't play with wingers either, but they bought Navas because having an intelligent, quick player in your formation who knows when to go inside but is still capable of beating his fullback to the byline when that is the better option is pretty useful, as demonstrated quite aptly against Newcastle.

Puncheon, ain't Navas. It also appears he wanted to go for personal/family reasons. Looks like we may have one/two alternatives in mind. He wasn't a starter and maybe this gives Isgrove a chance to make a few sub appearances instead. Several reasons why this isn't something to throw a wobbler about.

My point was more to do with people getting their knickers in a twist about nowt not about how we play. I'm not a Puncheon hater and think he did well for the most part last season but quite why some are getting overexcited about this is beyond me.

Anyway, I have a soft spot for Palace as I know a few fans and they are a local team. I wish him and them well (apart from a certain two fixtures).

Some of the reactions on here seem a bit OTT - Puncheon did very well on occasions but sometimes he didn't - not quite consistent enough for a top side. Good luck to him at Palace.

What you mean like jos and fonte :lol: think the decision isn't a great one in all honesty but there must be a reason for it.

Thank you Jason.

Your enthusiasm and goals scoring have been crucial to Saints in recent months, and you have been a great personality. All the best at Palace, score lots against our rivals and I for one look forward to your eventual return to the club.

As someone pointed out earlier the family reasons bit is a bit of a weird one, its only 90mins away after all... Personally I just think the guy will never settle at any club, everywhere hes been a few months later hes asking to leave again.

Attacking five;

1 Osvaldo

2 Lambert

3 JRod

4 Ramirez

5 Lallana

6 Ward-Prowse

7 Davis

8 Isgrove

9 Puncheon

10 Guly

11 Mayuka

12 Lee

13 Sharp

14 Barnard

Playing five, maybe three max more on bench, maybe one injured.

Not hard to see that he may not have had much game time this season and a request from him and a fee from palace all made sense.

Played well last season though.

Hope it goes well for him.

Attacking five;

1 Osvaldo

2 Lambert

3 JRod

4 Ramirez

5 Lallana

6 Ward-Prowse

7 Davis

8 Isgrove

9 Puncheon

10 Guly

11 Mayuka

12 Lee

13 Sharp

14 Barnard

Playing five, maybe three max more on bench, maybe one injured.

Not hard to see that he may not have had much game time this season and a request from him and a fee from palace all made sense.

Played well last season though.

Hope it goes well for him.

And what of Johnno Quick ?

Last season in the epl...

Ramirez made 26 appearances, scored 5, created 3.

Puncheon made 32 appearances, scored 6 and created 1.

Apparently, Puncheon was "one of our top performers last season" whereas "Gaston was awful". Funny how people read the game.

Last season in the epl...

Ramirez made 26 appearances, scored 5, created 3.

Puncheon made 32 appearances, scored 6 and created 1.

Apparently, Puncheon was "one of our top performers last season" whereas "Gaston was awful". Funny how people read the game.

Stats don't tell everything. Ramirez was poor last season by and large. Puncheon is generally accepted to have played well. People will exaggerate both these statements to get their point across, especially if its relative to their cost but few will argue them I reckon.