Puncheon to Palace - Official (Season Loan)

Saint-Armstrong

He hasnt speculated anything, all he did was commented on what happened the last time he failed to get games.

Hope he does well, glad he managed to put what happened behind him and find some form, he could do worse than palace IMO as Im not sure he is consistantly of this level

Are you for real. He's shown he's more up to it than Lallana. Was very good last season and in pre season was very good too. When we beat man city, Liverpool and Chelsea he played!

Are you for real. He's shown he's more up to it than Lallana. Was very good last season and in pre season was very good too. When we beat man city, Liverpool and Chelsea he played!

I was dissapointed with Lallana last year yes and hoping he is up for it this year. I am, for real, yes.

He played very well, which is what I said, but things change. Cork was good but think that Wanyama will be better, Lamberts a great player but think Osvaldo will be better, its progression and is the reason why Wooton, Forte and Antonio are no longer lining up for us.

I was dissapointed with Lallana last year yes and hoping he is up for it this year. I am, for real, yes.

He played very well, which is what I said, but things change. Cork was good but think that Wanyama will be better, Lamberts a great player but think Osvaldo will be better, its progression and is the reason why Wooton, Forte and Antonio are no longer lining up for us.

I think it's completely different. Osvaldo will have to be some player to do better than lambert. Hope you're right.

This wouldn't surprise me greatly, Pochettino has never fancied him much. I think it would be a shame though, as he was one of our better players last season and definitely our best option from the bench in terms of attacking impact. Perhaps he wants to be more than that - in which case fair play to him.

I can see the logic in earlier posts about Pochettino moving away from natural wide players in midfield.

Cant see this confirmed on the OS, would be a shame, after his initial clashes off field with management he had a good season. Is a reliable player off the bench. Only way I can see this happening is if Sinclair is already being lined up to replace him in the squad.

Agreed, can't see the sense in this unless we have Sinclair or another prospect in the wings.

I don't doubt he was effective last season (at times anyway - he put in a few half-hearted performances as well as I remember) but he didn't even make the bench on saturday against WBA. This suggests to me that either we already have a new winger lined up, or there are non-footballing reasons behind this decision which, given his previous, isn't outside the realms of possibility.

I think that's rubbish. So Lallana, j rod and Ramirez have shown they should be in?

Football has 11 positions in a team and it is the managers job to pick who feels are the best 11 to carry out his tactics. Everyone has opinions but it is the managers that counts. Yes Puncheon has been good for Saints recently but then again arguably so were Hammond, Sharp Harding and even Adkins in their time and we moved on. NC has a plan to get to the top 6 fast and there is little room in this plan for sentimentality. Is that right? It has certainly been effective to date!

One could argue some of the others were actually more loyal to the Saints than Punch. He is a good impact player at this level but we are moving onwards and upwards and the manager cannot carry an over bloated squad and bring in improvments at the same time. Something has to give! In this case it appears MP thinks it should be Punch! We can argue if he is the right or the wrong one. but it is MP's and the rest of the managements view that counts in the end. If he goes he goes with my best wishes for success and thanks for his contribution to date like all the others. We have at least helped him to prove he is Premiere standard and given his career boost!

Edited by Saint Without a Halo

Football has 11 positions in a team and it is the managers job to pick who feels are the best 11 to carry out his tactics. Everyone has opinions but it is the managers that counts. Yes Puncheon has been good for Saints recently but then again arguably so were Hammond, Sharp Harding and even Adkins in their time and we moved on. NC has a plan to get to the top 6 fast and their is little room in this plan for sentimentality. Is that right? It has certainly been effective to date!

One could argue some of the others were actually more loyal to the Saints than Punch. He is a good impact player at this level but we are moving onwards and upwards and the manager cannot carry an over bloated squad and bring in improvments at the same time. Something has to give! In this case it appears MP thinks it should be Punch! We can argue if he is the right or the wrong one. but it is MP's and the rest of the managements view that counts in the end. If he goes he goes with my best wishes for success and thanks for his contribution to date like all the others we have at least helped him to prove he is Premiere standard and given his career boost!

More like the others are not in the same class at puncheon!

Mixed feelings if it happens.

Two years ago we could hardly give him away, and although he has got back on the bus etc, I always felt it would not take much to see him have another sulk, and disrupt things in the camp (prolonged period out of the starting team perhaps?). With Osvaldo arriving, perhaps MP does not want two sulking beasts in the dressing room (both wanting to be in charge of the pre-match music!).

If we are 'upgrading' with Sinclair then we are improving our attacking options. Defensively though JP offered more, and linked well with Clyne as an outlet as well as going forward.

Puncheon certainly played his part last season,and probably still has something to offer us. Last year he was certainly more effective than Lallana.

Surprised he was not a sub at WBA, but this move was probably in the making.

I won't be as upset as some if he does go.

He's a decent enough player, but I really don't rate him as much as others on here I don't think. I think he flatters to deceive quite frankly, and yes he is direct, but then very often slows down play by dragging back, pausing, dragging back again and getting himself a bit lost.

He was good at times last year, and yeah scored some important goals, but he was also prone to go missing.

He did win me round after his petulance and immature outbursts, and I wish him well, but yeah I'm not overly fussed by his leaving. Particularly if rumours of an incoming upgrade are true.

Cheers punch, all the best.

Probably gave Punch the new contract with one eye on selling him

Runs the contract out walks for free or give him a contract send him on loan and has a good season playing weekly = nice valuation for selling

In todays market you would probably get between £2.5 - £4 mill for him

So every player outside of our first 11 or first 18 that wants to leave and someone will take will be allowed to leave?

Yep, that's what Mr Cortese said in an interview after the released list. He said no player would be sold unless they asked to leave.

If Puncheon is only attracting loan offers from Palace, who would Guly Do Prado attract? It'll be Championship or abroad possibly back to Italy or Brazil. If someone did bid for Guly Do Prado I doubt the club would fight to keep hold of him.

Neither Puncheon or Guly would play much this season and the club is looking to progress. To do that you sign better players than you have in the first XI and sell/loan/release players at the other end of the squad, promoting good youth prospects as you go.

Flooding and bloating the first team squad with average/below average players is what Rupert Lowe did and it added in disaster.

I think that should be

Neither Puncheon nor Guly...

Just sayin'

Probably gave Punch the new contract with one eye on selling him

Runs the contract out walks for free or give him a contract send him on loan and has a good season playing weekly = nice valuation for selling

In todays market you would probably get between £2.5 - £4 mill for him

Probably a sell on clause if Palace manage to stay up!

Personal issues , I just wonder what sort of personal issues get in the way of a bloke from London playing in Southampton. Larry David in the wonderful"curb your enthusiasm" uses personal issues to get out of things he doesn't want to do. Nobody is rude enough to ask Larry what they are. Personal issues for puncheon and he gets the forums backing, throwing his toys out the pram cause he's not playing and he's a knob.

I won't be as upset as some if he does go.

He's a decent enough player, but I really don't rate him as much as others on here I don't think. I think he flatters to deceive quite frankly, and yes he is direct, but then very often slows down play by dragging back, pausing, dragging back again and getting himself a bit lost.

He was good at times last year, and yeah scored some important goals, but he was also prone to go missing.

He did win me round after his petulance and immature outbursts, and I wish him well, but yeah I'm not overly fussed by his leaving. Particularly if rumours of an incoming upgrade are true.

Cheers punch, all the best.

This.

Far too many times he goes inside and runs into no one. People concentrate too much on goals, he scored some good ones and important ones but not a lot else IMO and was very frustrating.

Lallana is simply a much better player, he just struggled after his injury.

This.

Far too many times he goes inside and runs into no one. People concentrate too much on goals, he scored some good ones and important ones but not a lot else IMO and was very frustrating.

Lallana is simply a much better player, he just struggled after his injury.

If anyone is comparing Lallana and Puncheon then they're missing the point; Puncheon is an entirely different player to Lallana and the options the two of them provide to the squad either starting or from the bench could have been beneficial.

Puncheon has asked to leave so its a moot point in any case. But a total of 7 goals and 5 assists last season is a decent haul from someone who started in around 2/3 of our league games.

Edited by The Kraken

Puncheon has asked to leave so its a moot point in any case. But a total of 7 goals and 5 assists last season is a decent haul from someone who started in around 2/3 of our league games.

Huh? He started almost every game under Adkins and a handful under Poch as well