Puncheon to Palace - Official (Season Loan)

Saint-Armstrong

Ramirez has never been a prolific goalscorer, 1 in about 4 or 5 games. He's blighted by the weight of expectation and I feel sure that we'll see far more from him with an agile and instinctive striker in front of him. Anyone got any stats on how many critical passes he made that were then squandered by our front men?

Last season in the epl...

Ramirez made 26 appearances, scored 5, created 3.

Puncheon made 32 appearances, scored 6 and created 1.

Apparently, Puncheon was "one of our top performers last season" whereas "Gaston was awful". Funny how people read the game.

I'm a dyed in the wool stat man (scibbydibbydib) but the stats don't really tell the story there. Gaston obviously has more talent but despite that he seemed to bundle goals in rather than execute anything cleanly and he seemed like a shirker most of the season. At least when I was watching Punch always put a shift in. He looked like he wanted to be there.

Apparently, Puncheon was "one of our top performers last season" whereas "Gaston was awful". Funny how people read the game.

Which site are you using for those stats? Wiki says (for Puncheon) 32 appearances, scored 6, created 4, plus scored 1 created 1 from 2 cup games. Likewise Gaston is listed as 26 appearances, scored 5 created 2. (Yes I know, wiki is renowned for its inaccuracies).

Stats don't tell everything. Ramirez was poor last season by and large. Puncheon is generally accepted to have played well. People will exaggerate both these statements to get their point across, especially if its relative to their cost but few will argue them I reckon.

Aside from the facts which you choose to ignore, on what criteria would you like to base your assertions?

Which site are you using for those stats? Wiki says (for Puncheon) 32 appearances, scored 6, created 4, plus scored 1 created 1 from 2 cup games. Likewise Gaston is listed as 26 appearances, scored 5 created 2. (Yes I know, wiki is renowned for its inaccuracies).

espnfc.com

I wonder if there's a recall clause - for when we're battling Palace for that 17th spot close to the end of the season and we don't want him influencing them to survival!

Ha Wummery! From me! Dat's not usual! (Meh, it was a poor attempt.)

Anywho, on a serious note, I thank Punch for what he did last season. After his hissy fit in his early Saints career, he seems to have overcome his demons (although that probably helped with us playing in a higher league) and put in some good performances. His goal against Chelsea will be remembered for a long time to come. Best of luck at Blackpool. It'll be interesting to see who we bring in to replace him (as I assume we're looking at doing...)

Jason Puncheon cost £250,000, Gaston Ramirez cost £12,000,000

Remembered for the goal at Chelsea......

For me it will be man city and then wiping his arse on the corner flag.

Lots of good comments about him on here. Remember he wasn't the best performer or behaved this time a few years ago.

Good luck puncheon anyway. Hopefully he can score against a few top clubs again and help us out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

My guess (and that is all it is) is that Punch, true to previous form, threw his toys out the pram when he didn't make the squad for the West Brom game. MP prefered to have his disruptive attitude out of the squad, so agreed to loan him out. If he had stayed, I'm sure he would have been a bit-part player this year, no doubt with some important contributions, but as mentioned earlier in the thread we don't seem to utilise out and out wingers much under MP and we have plenty of out attacking options that do suit MP's formations, so letting him go is no real disaster.

I forgave him for his previous indiscretions, because he returned with some good performances, but I don't think that we are going to be any worse off without him around. Good luck to him, I appreciate the contributions he did make.

Gaston obviously has more talent but despite that he seemed to bundle goals in rather than execute anything cleanly
I am not sure I agree with you on that point. He scored a great back post header at Everton, a relative tap in against Newcastle, he slotted home cooly against Arsenal, offered a sublime chip against QPR and smashed home into the roof of the net against West Ham. Unlike Lallana, Ramirez has a hell of a shot on him.

Yes because we've been totally inundated with offers of over 12 million for Ramirez

Ramirez has been linked in the press with moves to the likes of Atlético Madrid, Inter Milan and Borussia Dortmund, where as Puncheon joined Crystal Palace.

Gaston Ramirez is a very good player. Inconsistent, yes. Frustrating at times, yes. But he is a lot better than Puncheon.

Edited by Matthew Le God

I am not sure I agree with you on that point. He scored a great back post header at Everton, a relative tap in against Newcastle, he slotted home cooly against Arsenal, offered a sublime chip against QPR and smashed home into the roof of the net against West Ham. Unlike Lallana, Ramirez has a hell of a shot on him.

he's also demonstrated in the past an ability to hit the target from long distance and take set pieces but he did none of that for us.

I don't doubt he's capable. He was just held back by something and I just hope whatever held him back can be addressed.

Ramirez has been linked in the press with moves to the likes of Athlectico Madrid, Inter Milan and Borussia Dortmund, where as Puncheon joined Crystal Palace.

Gaston Ramirez is a very good player. Inconsistent, yes. Frustrating at times, yes. But he is a lot better than Puncheon.

That is true but on current form he isn't. And any player that is (allegedly) unhappy at a club will be linked to numerous clubs in the paper if they wanted him they would have made an offer, truth is if we sold now wed be at a loss. This season will prove wether he just needed time or is never going to suit are style

Been on holiday with the family in Italy, so not had net connection (but heard the news about Osvaldo signing through my son because some Italian kids told him, my reaction to that is, lets hope it works out considering the amount of times he snubbed us...).

Gutted Puncheon has gone. Thought he looked good in the Villach games, and had a good season last year. Pretty p*ssed off if he has been shipped out to make way for the Carlos Kickaballs..

• 2 weeks later...

"Not content to sit on their lead, Palace created plenty, albeit most of it from long range. The man of the match, Jason Puncheon, ran unopposed into the Sunderland half, before cutting inside and sending a low 25-yard drive fizzing inches wide."

Grrrrr...

"Not content to sit on their lead, Palace created plenty, albeit most of it from long range. The man of the match, Jason Puncheon, ran unopposed into the Sunderland half, before cutting inside and sending a low 25-yard drive fizzing inches wide."

Grrrrr...

I don't know what the personal issues were that made him want to be in London but without them he should have been a likely starter for us. Made a difference whenever he came on at the end of last season.

Grrrrr...

Yeh coz we need more shots going wide.

He looked useful against Sunderland but passing with the outside of your foot can only work so many times. He was wasteful when he got a chance.Had we got a decent result yesterday his performance would have hardly made a post on here. He was ok for us but we need to up the quality and his mood swings do not help the team