Sunderland Build Up Thread

Wiggles31

I would have gone for the second string for this game ordinarily ..... but the prospect of a home game with Chelsea in the QF makes me prefer a strong first choice side for this now. If we were up against Barnsley or a lower division side then I would have sent out the fringe players, but Poyet will send out his strongest side with the QF in view and we have to match him. I honestly believe we can win this game and then beat Chelsea at home. I really do. Let's go for it.

No probs. Also don't worry bout the money you wanted cos it's a whole rugby team and she's doing "extras".

That's great. Being a solicitor and having a number of high profile legal 'clients' she often has to 'do extras' such as contract amendments.

Your mum still working at the brothel giving hand jobs for a quid on student night?

It all depends on what kind of team MoPo thinks Sunderland will play - will they play their 'reserves' so Gus can have a good look at them and save the first team (if you can call it that in Sunderland's case) for their game against Man City at the weekend, or will he have resigned himself to a loss there and so play his best squad? I wouldn't be too surprised by the latter, considering Man City have just gone and battered a Norwich side which is still a fair bit better than Sunderland...

I'm suspecting a complete back 4 change with Fox, Yoshida, Jos and Chambers coming in. Not sure about the rest but I'd like to see Isgrove start.

As mentioned previously on here, Poyet is likely to pursue his usual aggressive tactics and having any of last weekends starting 11 injured would be a blow.

Pompey won the cup a few years ago; look at them now. Winning one trophy isn't long term success. Champions League qualification and the extra money that would bring would secure us in the upper echelons of the Premier League for years, and would allow us the opportunity to grow and to build a squad that could win multiple trophies, not just one League Cup.

Your ambitions are small time and short term. They do not beat the Chairmans'.

Chelsea's first trophy of the Mourinho/Roman era?

Any guesses?

Go on, have a guess.

Needless to say the League Cup is not small time enough for a club owned by a multibillionaire and managed by the arguably the greatest manager of our generation.

But yeah, too small for the European Megagiant in waiting, Southampton FC.

Utter planks on this forum. Utter planks.

I would LOVE IT...LOVE IT if we won the league cup.

I would take that and finishing 12th any day of the week

lets be brutally honest, we AINT going down are we

cup me up all day

if our 2nd string can beat sunderland tomorrow (will be hard)

we will have a very interesting game at home... then who knows over 2 games against a team who will no doubt already be in europe trying to juggle games.

if we DID get into europe. I do hope we strengthen properly as most teams like saints struggle a tad in that season. Newcastle last year, swansea this year etc

Any guesses?

Go on, have a guess.

Needless to say the League Cup is not small time enough for a club owned by a multibillionaire and managed by the arguably the greatest manager of our generation.

Indeed. What this forum needs more of is people with their finger on the pulse as far as the future direction of the club is concerned...

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?5486-Administration-inevitable&p=124032#post124032

Indeed. What this forum needs more of is people with their finger on the pulse as far as the future direction of the club is concerned...

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?5486-Administration-inevitable&p=124032#post124032

Have a medal. I stand by that all day long. One should never wish for administration, and we have no idea what may have happened had we survived anyway...

Not sure why you'very waited until this precise moment to drop that gem, but I'll presume you had a full bore bonk on when you did it. Run along and finish yerself off, now.

Have a medal. I stand by that all day long. One should never wish for administration, and we have no idea what may have happened had we survived anyway...

Not sure why you'very waited until this precise moment to drop that gem, but I'll presume you had a full bore bonk on when you did it. Run along and finish yerself off, now.

:lol: You've got to take it, CB Fry.

I agree with ur earlier point tho, we should go for the league cup even if it means finishing mid-table, like Mourinho did at Chelsea.

4th.

I actually find this really sad. You've been sucked in by Sky and the "glamour" of the Champions League mate. Think of the build up, the packed train to Waterloo, the massive **** up in London, the 30,000 saints on Wembley way, the potential for us to actually WIN something.

I'm probably wasting my time.

I actually find this really sad. You've been sucked in by Sky and the "glamour" of the Champions League mate. Think of the build up, the packed train to Waterloo, the massive **** up in London, the 30,000 saints on Wembley way, the potential for us to actually WIN something.

Incredibly sad. Anyone who would rather finish 4th the win the league cup or fa cup is a bit odd (and I'm not talking about finishing 4th so we can attract better players and win something in the future.)

Edited by hypochondriac

Yeah I want a cup! I feel like all I'm being offered is Everton, getting a once in blue moon shout at the Champions League, but no trophies to show for my 10 years of Moyes. Nothing against Everton, but I was hoping for Swansea.

:lol: You've got to take it, CB Fry.

I agree with ur earlier point tho, we should go for the league cup even if it means finishing mid-table, like Mourinho did at Chelsea.

Now that is a comeback I am happy with.....Troosers really wasted his "Speshul CB Fry noocleer weapon" uberquote when there was a league title shaped open top bus you could drive through my argument ready to go. Nice one Bearsy.

Although, winning the tin pot cup didn't seem to cripple Chelsea as some seem to think it will demolish us.

Win something > finishing 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th.

I was gutted we never won either of the championships when we won promotion. Although I do recall people saying they'd rather go up as runners up because it was sad celebrating winning a no mark league title. Pure lunacy if you ask me.

Win something > finishing 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th.

I was gutted we never won either of the championships when we won promotion. Although I do recall people saying they'd rather go up as runners up because it was sad celebrating winning a no mark league title. Pure lunacy if you ask me.

And 2nd and 3rd.

I've been reading that thread, it's an interesting time capsule. There's one guy on there breaking my heart with his modest wish to spend the coming years watching Lancashire and Lloyd James "develop and grow into the good footballers they will become". It was a simpler time!

I've been reading that thread, it's an interesting time capsule. There's one guy on there breaking my heart with his modest wish to spend the coming years watching Lancashire and Lloyd James "develop and grow into the good footballers they will become". It was a simpler time!

Nickg and guided missile come across terribly.

Any guesses?

Go on, have a guess.

Mourinho had spent £70m on players for that season, on top of all the money that Ranieri had spent before him. Chelsea had the squad to compete in, and actually have a good chance at winning, multiple competitions.

You were correct in at least one thing in your post though.

Don't feel sad for me. I don't. I've not been sucked in by anything.

I was at Wembley for our JPT win. It was a great day out, almost exactly as you describe above. Would I swap that for Champions League nights at St Mary's? 100 times out of 100 I would. You? If you wouldn't, that's fair enough, I can't argue with that. We all have our opinions. But for me, seeing the likes of Barca come to St Mary's would blow my mind, considering we were hosting Tranmere not so long ago.

Mourinho had spent £70m on players for that season, on top of all the money that Ranieri had spent before him. Chelsea had the squad to compete in, and actually have a good chance at winning, multiple competitions.

You were correct in at least one thing in your post though.

I don't think we should be winning multiple competitions. Just the league cup would be grand.

Haven't you seen us this season? We're really good.

Incredibly sad. Anyone who would rather finish 4th the win the league cup or fa cup is a bit odd (and I'm not talking about finishing 4th so we can attract better players and win something in the future.)

Again, don't feel sad for me. I don't understand your bit in brackets....that's like saying 'your side of the argument is wrong, if you leave out that little bit you said'.

I don't think we should be winning multiple competitions. Just the league cup would be grand.

Haven't you seen us this season? We're really good.

I have seen us a lot this season (every game in fact either in the stadium or live on internet). We are really good. So good I genuinely think we could break into the top four. On current form, only Arsenal, Liverpool and City are better than us in my opinion, and we beat one of those teams already.

I have seen us a lot this season (every game in fact either in the stadium or live on internet). We are really good. So good I genuinely think we could break into the top four. On current form, only Arsenal, Liverpool and City are better than us in my opinion, and we beat one of those teams already.

So I want us to win one competition and you want us to win none.

:lol:

Don't feel sad for me. I don't. I've not been sucked in by anything.

I was at Wembley for our JPT win. It was a great day out, almost exactly as you describe above. Would I swap that for Champions League nights at St Mary's? 100 times out of 100 I would. You? If you wouldn't, that's fair enough, I can't argue with that. We all have our opinions. But for me, seeing the likes of Barca come to St Mary's would blow my mind, considering we were hosting Tranmere not so long ago.

If you are more excited about the opposition than saints actually winning a trophy then I'm sorry but I do feel sad for you.

Again, don't feel sad for me. I don't understand your bit in brackets....that's like saying 'your side of the argument is wrong, if you leave out that little bit you said'.

Not at all. I expected you would say something like I would want to finish fourth so we can get better players and have a better chance of a trophy next time. That wasn't the question though, it was would you prefer 4th place or a trophy win.