Sunderland Build Up Thread

Wiggles31

In the NPC we regularly played the same team Tuesday Saturday... Why now we're in the PL with supposedly vastly improved fitness should we be resting players? Give some guys who deserve it a chance stake a claim - but there is no reason to put out a weak team.

Davis

Clyne Fonte Yoshida Fox

Schneiderlin Cork

JWP Davis Lallana

Osvaldo

I agree with this team, maybe with Lee/Isgrove in the mix somewhere. Given how injury-prone Shaw is, I wouldn't want him playing in this game.

Poch will play mainly bench and u21 players.

The way we train (double sessions) and the intensity of our pressing game wont suit playing two games in a week. Rest and recovery is vital to avoid injuries and burn out which the players have commented on in various interviews.

I can see perhaps JRod and JWP playing but other than that side will be completely changed.

League is the clubs priority as well as developing the youngsters so the cup's are ideal to be used for that purpose.

Now it looks like an interesting competition - doesn't it ?.....with the possibility of Chelsea in the next round.

There's still a long way to go to win the thing, BUT......it begs the question ..will MP be tempted to play some of the " regulars" instead of our standard reserve / bench players ?

If he continues to play the same line-up as in the last round, it'll show he either has confidence in them (knowing we won't lose three points)- if we don't win .or maybe he just doesn't worry.

If he sees this as a possible entry into Europe ?..then he might be tempted to strengthen the side with a few " bigger " names. Osvaldo?..Lovren?..or Rodriguez..(who played in prev.rounds)

.....or one or two others.

Two players for every position - the cups are where the reserves/squad players get their competitive football nowadays. I wouldn't be taking any of the first team starters away midweek where we don't need to.

KD

CC JOS/YOSHI FOX

JACK / DAVIS

ISGROVE RAMIREZ GULLY (LEE)

OSVALDO

Not the worse side in the world, Sunderland have loads of players that GP will want to look at, and suspensions too, so they won't be full strength either.

1-1 and pens anybody?

i would like us to play a strong team in this and progress in the competition, but am resigned to the fact that we won't.

One of the most depressing aspects of modern football is the approach to the cups of clubs like ours. We should be perfectly placed to have a good go at them at the moment, we don't have the threat of relegation hanging over us, we are in the last 16 having not risked any of our first team so far, we don't have the distration of Europe that all the other teams around us in the league tend to, so we should have the energy to have a go at this.

the worst games for the paying fan last year were Leeds away (in this round of the cup) going out 2-0 with no fight whatsover, and losing 5-1 at home in the cup to Chelsea where we never looked interested at all.

i am sure Chelsea fans are hoping we win this, they already have Sunderland away in Wednesday 4th December in the league! can't imagine many of them will fancy that 2 weeks later again.

i would like us to play a strong team in this and progress in the competition, but am resigned to the fact that we won't.

One of the most depressing aspects of modern football is the approach to the cups of clubs like ours. We should be perfectly placed to have a good go at them at the moment, we don't have the threat of relegation hanging over us, we are in the last 16 having not risked any of our first team so far, we don't have the distration of Europe that all the other teams around us in the league tend to, so we should have the energy to have a go at this.

the worst games for the paying fan last year were Leeds away (in this round of the cup) going out 2-0 with no fight whatsover, and losing 5-1 at home in the cup to Chelsea where we never looked interested at all.

i am sure Chelsea fans are hoping we win this, they already have Sunderland away in Wednesday 4th December in the league! can't imagine many of them will fancy that 2 weeks later again.

TBF we pretty much put out our first XI vs Chelsea, and then brought on a few squad players once the game was pretty much lost....

TBF we pretty much put out our first XI vs Chelsea, and then brought on a few squad players once the game was pretty much lost....

Yep, teams and match report still on here.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/football/fa-cup/2012-2013/southampton-chelsea-570311.html

Slightly weakened starting 11, I suppose, but interesting to look at the side back then and how much has changed.

abFNup4ahV.jpg

Use this11.com for drawing your football tactics

Don't think Guly is fit and anyway even if he was we won't win with that side, defensively far too weak. We are greatly handicapped by the fact that this match has been moved back to a Wednesday when we're at home on the following Saturday..Just can't see us winning or even putting up a creditable performace withn the side that we'll put out. Spanking 4 or 5-1. Sunderland have all the advantage, they're at home and don't play again until Sunday afternoon, at home again, agaist Citeh in a match they'll have probably already written off anyway.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Don't think Guly is fit and anyway even if he was we won't win with that side, defensively far too weak. We are greatly handicapped by the fact that this match has been moved back to a Wednesday when we're at home on the following Saturday..Just can't see us winning or even putting up a creditable performace withn the side that we'll put out. Spanking 4 or 5-1. Sunderland have all the advantage, they're at home and don't play again until Sunday afternoon, at home again, agaist Citeh in a match they'll have probably already written off anyway.

Well considering in your other post earlier in this thread saying that it will be pretty much the same team as last round, this is pretty much the same team as last round with just one change with isgrove in for ward-prowse.

How would you change it?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

So basically a full first team less Morgan (and perhaps JWP) for some reason or other. It won't happen because we are not going to have all of our top players trekking off to Sunderland on a wdnesday evening when we have a vital home game on Saturday at 3. Side will be much the same as that of the last round with a couple of first teamers on the bench in a fire bucket role. Now if Hull had a game this week it might be different but they don't so it won't.

Just to show the last post by yourself

Well considering in your other post earlier in this thread saying that it will be pretty much the same team as last round, this is pretty much the same team as last round with just one change with isgrove in for ward-prowse.

How would you change it?

I wouldn't because to me winning on Saturday is far more important. The difference is that we can beat Bristol City with our reserves but we certainly can't beat Sunderland at the Stadium of Light so we'll just have to go damage limitation unless Gaston plays a blinder and beats them all by himself.

So you would play same team as against Stoke?

No I was answering a post that proposed putting out the same team as against Stoke with just Morgan and JWP replaced by Davis and Cork, said it wasn't going to happen. We'll put out our full "reserve side" roughly the same that was used against Bristol and get thumped unless Gaston wins it all by himself or gets a hand from Osvaldo but I don't think he'll even play either.

No I was answering a post that proposed putting out the same team as against Stoke with just Morgan and JWP replaced by Davis and Cork, said it wasn't going to happen. We'll put out our full "reserve side" roughly the same that was used against Bristol and get thumped unless Gaston wins it all by himself or gets a hand from Osvaldo but I don't think he'll even play either.

Oh so you agree with the team I posted then

Oh so you agree with the team I posted then

Yes but as I said we won't win but it just doesn't matter. Just hopeful of an encouraging performence from Gaston and that's about all we can hope for. We need to win on Saturday, could go just 3 points off the top because of The Utd-Arse game on Sunday. Sunderland just doesn't matter.

NB Guly is still injured though.

I wouldn't because to me winning on Saturday is far more important. The difference is that we can beat Bristol City with our reserves but we certainly can't beat Sunderland at the Stadium of Light so we'll just have to go damage limitation unless Gaston plays a blinder and beats them all by himself.

It's a sad day when a dime-a-dozen nondescript league game against (wait for it) Hull City is regarded as more of a priority than the club pursuing only its second major trophy of the modern era.

Some of you lot are effing nuts.

You cannot be serious! Not sure anybody cares one way or the other. Can't see any of our lads queuing up to get picked for a cold night up int frozen norf!

Yeah, but you and the rest of the I dont give a sh!ts, will be first in the que for tickets if we manage to get to the final

It's a sad day when a dime-a-dozen nondescript league game against (wait for it) Hull City is regarded as more of a priority than the club pursuing only its second major trophy of the modern era.

Some of you lot are effing nuts.

The Club's strategy is clear, we have not spent 60 million £ to win the Capital One consolation trophy. Privileging the JPT when we wanted to get promoted in our first (and should have been only) season in League 1 eventually led to Pardew's demise.

Yes but as I said we won't win but it just doesn't matter. Just hopeful of an encouraging performence from Gaston and that's about all we can hope for. We need to win on Saturday, could go just 3 points off the top because of The Utd-Arse game on Sunday. Sunderland just doesn't matter.

NB Guly is still injured though.

I think we'll field more or less a reserve side, and so will Sunderland. The result could go either way, but if Sunderland do field their reserves, (as I'd expect,) then I think we'll shade it.

And to all those saying we should field our strongest side regardless, a freezing night up north against Sunderland reserves with a point to prove is absolutely tailor-made for a slew of injuries. Just saying.

I think we'll field more or less a reserve side, and so will Sunderland. The result could go either way, but if Sunderland do field their reserves, (as I'd expect,) then I think we'll shade it.

And to all those saying we should field our strongest side regardless, a freezing night up north against Sunderland reserves with a point to prove is absolutely tailor-made for a slew of injuries. Just saying.

Sunderland will put out their full first XI, they need the practice. They don't play again until Sunday.

The Club's strategy is clear, we have not spent 60 million £ to win the Capital One consolation trophy. Privileging the JPT when we wanted to get promoted in our first (and should have been only) season in League 1 eventually led to Pardew's demise.

I think there's a call for you over on the "arrogance" thread.

You do realise every place in the league table that isn't first place is a "consolation" too?

Whoop whoop seventh consolation place = Saints still have won eff all for thirty years. Whoop whoop.

Those of you hoping/predicting that there will be significant first choice 11 presence in our line up on Weds are setting yourselves up to be disappointed. I will be amazed in any of the starting eleven from Saturday start on Wednesday night. In fact, I'd be disappointed if they did. I don't want to see any of them even travel. We have enough depth with the 'reserve' eleven plus the youngsters to give a good account of ourselves. I'm not bothered about the result. Only the performance.

Those of you hoping/predicting that there will be significant first choice 11 presence in our line up on Weds are setting yourselves up to be disappointed. I will be amazed in any of the starting eleven from Saturday start on Wednesday night. In fact, I'd be disappointed if they did. I don't want to see any of them even travel. We have enough depth with the 'reserve' eleven plus the youngsters to give a good account of ourselves. I'm not bothered about the result. Only the performance.

Don't think we're taking the game very seriously, hasn't even got a mention on the OS. I suppose there'll be a build up from Jesus on there at sometime tomorrow when the team have already left for Sunderland.

Don't fancy trying to actually win something then?

I'd hope we keep the majority of the first team at home ready to tear Hull a new one on Saturday, maybe go with this for Wed:

Davis in goal (either one I'm not fussed)

Chambers, Yoshi, Hooiveld, Foxy in Defence.

Schneiderlin/Waynetta (45 min each) along with Corky in Midfield

Ramirez, Isgrove and maybe the other Davis behind ...

Lee (why not?). Or maybe Ossie for a bit if he doesn't mind a wet Wednesday night in Mackem land

I'd hope we keep the majority of the first team at home ready to tear Hull a new one on Saturday, maybe go with this for Wed:

Davis in goal (either one I'm not fussed)

Chambers, Yoshi, Hooiveld, Foxy in Defence.

Schneiderlin/Waynetta (45 min each) along with Corky in Midfield

Ramirez, Isgrove and maybe the other Davis behind ...

Lee (why not?). Or maybe Ossie for a bit if he doesn't mind a wet Wednesday night in Mackem land

Agreed! That side should be enough for Sunderland

Predict a 3-0 win

Team I would put out:

Boruc

Chambers, Lovren, Yoshida, Clyne

Cork, Wanyama

S Davis, Ramirez, JRod

Osvaldo

If Osvaldo not fit JWP in mid with JRod up front.

Team I think will play:

K Davis

Chambers, Jos, Yoshida, Fox

Cork, S Davis

JWP, Ramirez, Lee

JRod

I'd take a win in the League Cup and finishing 12th-14th then ever worrying about the top 10. You're mental if you don't want to experience that feeling of a proper cup win with Saints.
Very well put. Just look at the footage of Swansea fans at the end of their final last season.

I'd take a win in the League Cup and finishing 12th-14th then ever worrying about the top 10. You're mental if you don't want to experience that feeling of a proper cup win with Saints.

Agreed. Though winning a cup and finishing top 10 as well would be f*cking awesome.

been there, done that.

....we've finished second-to-eighth place plenty of times before but you seem to be creaming yourself over a match against Hull that may ultimately result in us finishing in, say, seventh place. Amazing. Book the open top bus. Woo-hoo.

I'd take a cup win all day long.