January 2014 Transfer news & rumours

Glasgow_Saint

Seems like the fact that it hasnt really got a massive part of our system seems to be complex too.

We have pace in J Rod anyway.

Would say that encouraging Clyne and Shaw to push up as far as they do suggests that it is an important part of the system.

Shame it doesn't work particularly away from home.

Well yes, which is why the inclusion of a winger wouldnt fit.

Why?

Away from home, would let our fullbacks concentrate on the job of defending instead of expecting them also to be our main source of pace/width.

Which they struggle to provide when they're having to soak up pressure and keep things tight.

Why?

Away from home, would let our fullbacks concentrate on the job of defending instead of expecting them also to be our main source of pace/width.

Which they struggle to provide when they're having to soak up pressure and keep things tight.

TBH 2 of our away losses were Arsenal and Chelsea and a draw was away to Utd so you cant read too much into that IMO. Most teams away form isnt as strong but Im still happy with the way we play. The last thing you do is open up and playing wingers essentially opens you up.

TBH 2 of our away losses were Arsenal and Chelsea and a draw was away to Utd so you cant read too much into that IMO. Most teams away form isnt as strong but Im still happy with the way we play. The last thing you do is open up and playing wingers essentially opens you up.

We've generally struggled to create much away from home full stop. The ability to hit home teams on the counter or support an otherwise isolated front man suggests that pace is more not less important. Don't think we've yet struck the right balance yet and certainly don't think we can carry over how we set up at home away.

Indeed for a team that has ironically scored so many goals from crosses (like it or not), it's a challenge, not some mongboard obsession and nothing to do with 4-4-2.

Edited by shurlock

Simply love the seemingly endless supply of Cattermole, Downing, Bramble style jokes on this forum.

Thats because we are utilising a tactic that is clearly working except for the opinion of the knee jerkers who believe a couple of results away to Chelsea and Arsenal means we have to completely change the way we play.

I see yet another thread has been hijacked by Turkish...........

But this and the HCDAJFU threads need hijacking as some of the Pit-ponies folks still come up with quite amazing, I am surprised Stevie Wonder and Ray Charles haven't been mentioned let alone signed for us yet.

(I bet someone reading this will google both of them!!).

If we're going to do our shopping at Valencia I can't see us settling for second best really. Poch obviously wants Banega so why

tart about with the vastly inferior Feghouli. Agent bollix.

Edited by Window Cleaner

If we're going to do our shopping at Valencia I can't see us settling for second best really. Poch obviously wants Banega so why

tart about with the vastly inferior Feghouli. Agent bollix.

Porch could have moved on to Diego, who will be available nice and cheap in January as he's out of contract soon. Best YouTube I've seen since Steve De Ridder :).

Diego and Fenghouli are both players that strike me as the sort of signings we would look at from the point of view that they both had good pedigree however have dropped out of favour or form. My arguement would be whether they are willing to put in the work to help out the system ?

For example Ramirez clearly is one of our more technical players but a few games aside does he work hard enough ? Probably not.

Banega would be the man for me, if we can get him, but its good to have options.

Diego and Fenghouli are both players that strike me as the sort of signings we would look at from the point of view that they both had good pedigree however have dropped out of favour or form. My arguement would be whether they are willing to put in the work to help out the system ?

For example Ramirez clearly is one of our more technical players but a few games aside does he work hard enough ? Probably not.

Banega would be the man for me, if we can get him, but its good to have options.

Diego would encounter work permit problems so I'd think we'd avoid that.

I remember him from Grenoble, wasn't bad there but whether he can up his game to PL standards is something else. Still think we can do far better than a Valencia sub for what will be quite a lot of money.

He is out of contract shortly, so I am sure theres a deal to be done. If of course there is anything in it.

A player i mentioned a few times in the summer Ryan Gauld from Dundee Utd is now getting alot more attention and fee has probably x20

Ryan Gauld at Dundee Utd is talked about as a good prospect, dubbed the 'mini Messi' apparently.

Reckon we should bring him down here, he could be the next Neil McCann for us.

A player that I have mentioned a few times. He turns 18 in a few days and I 1st recomended him after he signed his first professional deal at Tannadice in 2011.

Was told he was too small and the scottish league is crap bla bla bla. He's now being monitored by Liverpool, Real Madrid and Man United so I think the boat may have sailed on this one :(

He is out of contract shortly, so I am sure theres a deal to be done. If of course there is anything in it.

Right a player nearly out of contract, agent's nightmare...start putting out wild rumours everywhere...it's what agents do and there's no better way of vehiculing them than Tuttomercato. We will not sign Feghouli, count on it. Anyway he seems to have quite a bit of contract left, June 2016 apparently. He's not playing much so his agent is trying to get him a move that's all.

Edited by Window Cleaner

A player that I have mentioned a few times. He turns 18 in a few days and I 1st recomended him after he signed his first professional deal at Tannadice in 2011.

Was told he was too small and the scottish league is crap bla bla bla. He's now being monitored by Liverpool, Real Madrid and Man United so I think the boat may have sailed on this one :(

Except that in a recent interview he said he would not go to a big club just to go missing like many his age, he wants to learn by getting the chance to play first team football. Who better than us? Does Sam Gallagher play in the same Scottish age group? Maybe he could have a word?

Except that in a recent interview he said he would not go to a big club just to go missing like many his age, he wants to learn by getting the chance to play first team football. Who better than us? Does Sam Gallagher play in the same Scottish age group? Maybe he could have a word?

Players do say that stuff, but money talks and so does the lure of the BIG clubs once they actually start knocking.

Darren Fletcher at Man U and Steven Naismith at Everton + we have 3 (so do Stoke and Sunderland) Chelsea and Spurs have a couple of youngsters too

oh yes Naismith, when did Fletcher last play for Utd out of interest, Scottish football is dying, Saints have 3 scottish full internationals? I mean there's Fox but he doesn't play and will soon be gone, who are the others, I don't mean snotty nosed kids I mean real full internationals who actually play for Scotland and their clubs.