January 2014 Transfer news & rumours

Glasgow_Saint

January is shaping up to be another quiet one I think. By and large the club has adopted the policy of finding internal solutions for depth, and buying players better than we already have to improve the team and not to pad the squad.

Fonte's form has been outstanding but at a stretch I could see us buying another centre-half as whilst in other parts of the pitch we can do some shuffling about to maintain a decent quality in the team if Fonte or Lovren got injured I would be very worried about our ability to maintain a level of performance in the team. However, you don't hear of many good centre-halves joining clubs in January, and I am not sure just buying a new player and kicking Fonte out is the right thing to do either.

But then if we're in a half decent position come February and then injuries or loss of form hits we'll be pointing fingers at the squad depth and opportunity missed in January. Damned if you do, damned if you don't in this case I think.

We should make a Lovren-ish signing and go for Viktor Fischer.

Lovren-ish cause he´s had a quiet season so far which probably has had a few clubs lose interest in him and that it makes the price probably a bit lower than it would´ve been in the summer. The ability is all there in this kid.

We should make a Lovren-ish signing and go for Viktor Fischer.

Lovren-ish cause he´s had a quiet season so far which probably has had a few clubs lose interest in him and that it makes the price probably a bit lower than it would´ve been in the summer. The ability is all there in this kid.

Are you sure? I was visiting a mate In holland last season so went along with him and a few of his Ajax mates to see them pay at Willem II. He was awful, despite an easy win for Ajax I've not seen a slower winger since Lee Holmes, seemed to hate crosses more than Jesus as every time he got the ball wide and tried crossing it, it seemed to go out for a goal kick. Gave the ball away countless times, terrible first touch, His second touch was always a header as it seems to bounce off every part of his body and into the air! Missed an open goal and shot Into the side netting when a simple square ball was on for a teammate to stick it in the empty net. Looked awful for where I was and my mate and the Ajax lads agreed, said he reminded them of a poor mans Neil Heaney.

Edited by Turkish

heard that we are looking to move ramirez on in january. either sold or loaned out

and to replace him with OxO...again, either loan with a view to buy. or buy if the price is right

apparently, he is desperate to play and he is way down the order now at arsenal

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/alex-oxlade-chamberlain-out-until-2014-2800598

we shall see

either way, from what I have been told, we would have him back (at the right price) he would welcome it and we have kept an amicable relationship with arsenal and his dad.

personally, I think he would be excellent in our set up

again, like I was told that it is dependant on gaston going (which he wants to return to italy). in order to free up the wages and squad position.

we shall see

either way, from what I have been told, we would have him back (at the right price) he would welcome it and we have kept an amicable relationship with arsenal and his dad.

again, like I was told that it is dependant on gaston going (which he wants to return to italy). in order to free up the wages and squad position.

Are you able to drop any hits on where you got your info from? Someone inside the club? Someone who knows someone inside the club? Another avenue ? Cheers

Are you able to drop any hits on where you got your info from? Someone inside the club? Someone who knows someone inside the club? Another avenue ? Cheers

someone who works at staplewood.

again, probably a load of shyte. but thought I would share it

we shall see

What a message this would send to! Perhaps our current crop of youngsters would benefit from a tangible example of the grass not always being greener. Would love to see him back...

we shall see

Doesn't sound very likely to me, specially when people talk about freeing up a squad position. What does that mean. We haven't got a full squad, and anyway Oxo is u21 so it makes no difference. Don't really believe the wages bit either frankly. Will be interesting to see how well he recovers from his injury, not likely to be playing again until well into the new year so no way we would see him here until next season anyway. Not entirely sure I would welcome him back, not too pleased at the way Skate Dad engineered the move away.

Yeah, do try that search in the forum. Golden threads about Royal Ascot and Fifa12 coming up but not much on a Ryan Gold fella........

Try just 'Gold' mate, not sure i knew his 1st name until August this year.... Like i said only saw him at junior games and spotted the very raw talent.

The raw talent that has now caught the eye of man u and real madrid

Try just 'Gold' mate, not sure i knew his 1st name until August this year.... Like i said only saw him at junior games and spotted the very raw talent.

The raw talent that has now caught the eye of man u and real madrid

Key word search actually does bring up dundee in the 2013 HCDAJFU thread by Glasgow. I'm not trawling through 130 pages to find out if you mention Gauld though you did pick out Wanyama so kudos there :lol:

Edited by farawaysaint

you did pick out Wanyama so kudos there

Thanks mate. Went to see a few Celtic games last season and he was the stand out player.

I normally try to get them v early before anyone else, like i did with Gauld at Dundee utd and Barkley and Coleman at Everton to name just 3.

Its fun to pick out players from a very raw, young age and watch them mature into the great players you can see (when others cant) my friends say its a gift, im not sure about that.

I remember tipping Bale when he was just 15 and took some stick for it.

If were still top 6 by New Year, then we should invest in some talent that is likely to challenge for places, and not become bench sitters.

Ramirez has become an expensive luxury as it seems he doesn't cut it with MP anymore. A move back to Italy (at a small profit) would be a win-win situation.

Although I don't think we would part with them (so quickly) without adequate cover....Jos, Lee and Jack Cork could probably do better elsewhere.

We have Puncheon and Palace, Mayuka at Sochaux neither of whom seem to be making much impression, and unless Billy gets a couple of hat-tricks by New Years, he'll be back in January.

Who would we sign?....last seasons list of "possible deals" suggested by the various sources ran to over 60 names.....:scared: and those we did sign weren't among the media favourites either.

I expect to see one or two signings, but am more concerned for the "dead wood " created by our rapid promotions which left us with a list of players who don't have a cat in He**s chance of getting a first team game.

we shall see

Id certainly have him back, hasn't worked out at Arsenal and im sure he ever really wanted to go save for his Dad's interference. He'll get back fit and would be good in our system, certainly better than Ramirez

It wouldn't surprise me if they made a move for Asmir Begovic (forgiving the skate connection). He has developed into a top keeper and the way he conducted himself after the recent match against Stoke won't have gone unnoticed by the powers that be at St. Marys.

I did wonder the same thing tbh, Begovic is ambitious and in truth he is unlikely to get the chance at one of the established big 4/5 clubs, so what he needs is a club 'breaking in' to that group, or at least one with those ambitions. From our angle he is established and proven at the right age with years ahead of him.

Would you really have Begovic over Boruc? I wouldnt..

Given their respective ages, I suspect the club would see more mileage in Begovic tbh , and if we have learnt one thing over the last three years, it is that your last performance - or previous season - might not be enough to save you.

If we're top six by January we will spend one two or three, be rediculous not to.

Only if they are the right players, it is not impossible that a rush of blood could lead us to signing a perceived 'star' who ends up shattering team spirit and becoming totally counter productive. Faustino Asprilla being a good example.

We have set our stall out with a philosophy of youth development, bringing in a few stars on top of those already here may be seen as counter productive and possibly demotivational.

nah they'll buy a foreigner, probably someone from Real Madrid. Who was the last home produced talent that Chelsea bought ?

Having said that they must be dangerously close to not having enough home produced players in their squad once Cole,Lampard,Terry etc hang up their boots.

I've even heard a name doing the rounds Ricardo Rodriguez who oddly enough and despite his name (which is why I was thnking Real Madrid) plays for Wolfsburg. He'll cost them far less than Luke Shaw.

Edited by Window Cleaner

nah they'll buy a foreigner, probably someone from Real Madrid. Who was the last home produced talent that Chelsea bought ?

Having said that they must be dangerously close to not having enough home produced players in their squad once Cole,Lampard,Terry etc hang up their boots.

I've even heard a name doing the rounds Ricardo Rodriguez who oddly enough and despite his name (which is why I was thnking Real Madrid) plays for Wolfsburg. He'll cost them far less than Luke Shaw.

I wonder how many games go on. Chelsea, may or may not have any intention of buying, but if they don't but say they do, then it is likely to up the price if ManU/C/Arsenal want to buy him. The more you get your opponents to pay, the less they have for other players. Maybe at the same time unsettle the players, and as we are currently (long may it last) at the same league level as Chelsea it can't do any harm. Everyone has a price. A while back £25m seemed excessive, but at 18 and more than holding his own, it seems quite "cheap".

Am I the only one who wouldn't like to see AOC back at the club?

I wouldn't be overly enthused by it. He moved on, we moved on. Going back would set an uncomfortable position for AOC.... I suspect he wouldn't be interested in a move anyway on that basis alone.

He could have easily stayed for another season to get more 1st action but decided to go. I'm glad he did go as the following season we got promoted but I'd hate to see him in front of some of the team who stuck at it.

Batman did you end up getting married to one of your ex girl friends from School?

He could have easily stayed for another season to get more 1st action but decided to go. I'm glad he did go as the following season we got promoted but I'd hate to see him in front of some of the team who stuck at it.

Batman did you end up getting married to one of your ex girl friends from School?

he is not an ex girlfriend though. I doubt people run clubs with such mentality

Nope. Didn't want to play for us before and his old man couldn't wait to cash in.

This. Really do not think coming back would be a good idea. He could easily have stayed for one season and been part of promotion but Skate dad thought it best to move on and get the cash. One season of us having a bit of a struggle again and no doubt he would want away again to where the grass appears to be greener. Not totally sure he would get in the team anyway, does he fit our style? He is also injured and at the moment it is not clear he will totally recover. If he comes back and fits in fine, but really do not see he is what we really want and would be surprised if NC would go for him (if nothing else we are still on for further payments if he stays with the Arse). Nope, we've moved on, he's moved on. I would be happy to see Bale back (unlikely I know) or even Walcott.