January 2014 Transfer news & rumours

Glasgow_Saint

You're still fixated with my third point? Let me put it this way because it's really a two part point and might be difficult to grasp:

Relative to the introduction of any new backup player at this stage of the season, both Jos, Fox and co. are doing an adequate job. Should the board decide to bring in a new player, they will not see an improvement on the pitch, nor will they see any financial benefit. Therefore it would be wiser for them in this sense to wait till the summer meaning its unlikely we'll see anyone new this January.

I understand, and most definitely agree with you, that the two aren't Premier League quality - but it doesn't logically follow that we should rush buy new players! This is where the two other points come in. Consider where we are in the table. The club is adverse to signing in January in the first place. It's highly unlikely we'll get someone.

Nobody's calling for us to go binge shopping in Jan - and ideally we would wait till the summer. Even if we don't see the best of someone until they're fully integrated, they will still be an improvement on what we have in defense. The gap in class is just too large.

:) Am I being a bit naive here? Is it likely that he's going to get repeat injuries between now and the end of the season?

Edit: Won't he be content on getting 9th? I mean, second season back in the Premier League - we ascended faster than expected - now is the time for consolidation, surely?

Look at Luke Shaw's appearance record while in the first team.

And look at what was coming out of the club in the summer re our targets for this season.

You reckon NC will be content with being 9th?

IMHO, the sign of whether Saints (NC) are SERIOUS about becomming a really Big Club, will be if we SELL any of our First Teamers, ie Shaw, Lalanna, Rodrigues etc, to the "Big Four"

The only way to progress is to ADD Class, not sell it.

So, we shall see if our current "Stars" reckon Saints will become BIG

No way Glasgow! We can't keep everyone, we've still got Guly and Gashton to get rid off before we worry about letting any decent players leave!

Ok keep the ones that we want. Think Gaston has stepped up last 2 games, maybe has a future here afterall

Ive always been fairly positive on him anyway....

Not sure what you mean, we have already signed them last summer so even if we don't sign anyone we would still have them?

Ahh i see, sorry missed read your earlier reply "in the summer too" thought you meant last summer, but you mean next summer.

So keep the same squad together and youll be happy? Think jan or summer we need to address the GK, LB and CB issues (cover) plus might need options to assist in the final 3rd

Ahh i see, sorry missed read your earlier reply "in the summer too" thought you meant last summer, but you mean next summer.

So keep the same squad together and youll be happy? Think jan or summer we need to address the GK, LB and CB issues (cover) plus might need options to assist in the final 3rd

Of course would like additions, but if we lost anyone like Shaw, Lallana, Lovren they would be nigh on impossible to replace with the same quality.

If you said now we could 100% start next season with our squad now! no additions but no losses then I would take it.

In the summer we will have interest from CL teams in Morgan, Lallana, Shaw, Lovren and maybe Clyne. Be hard to keep everyone.

Personally I would like a central attacking midfielder to replace the Davis/Lambert position or get a right attacking midfielder and move adam into the central slot if Gaston isn't the long term solution in either of those positions.

Also a centre half who can play in either left back or defensive midfield or is that asking too much ?

The bloke next to me at Goodison was telling me Holger Badstuber's looking for a move and we're interested. I know it'll never happen in a million years but has anyone seen that published anywhere?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But he's ruptured knee ligaments twice in about a year, no-one will take him for a big fee until they've seen what effect that has left on him. Should be OK but you never know, might lose mobility and athletism. Don't think he's even playing again yet, reserves at Bayern perhaps.

Edited by Window Cleaner

But he's ruptured knee ligaments twice in about a year, no-one will take him for a big fee until they've seen what effect that has left on him. Should be OK but you never know, might lose mobility and athletism. Don't think he's even playing again yet, reserves at Bayern perhaps.

The guy was suggesting he's fit again but can't get back in the team because Dante and Boateng have formed such a good partnership, which is why he wants to move. Won't be to us but I'd love to see him in England

The guy was suggesting he's fit again but can't get back in the team because Dante and Boateng have formed such a good partnership, which is why he wants to move. Won't be to us but I'd love to see him in England

I couldn't really say, Badstuber ruptured knee ligaments for the second time in 6 months last May, I'd be enormously surprised if he's fit for anything but light fitness work as of yet but it varies from individual to individual you'd not be able to argue with someone who follows Bayern closely of course but I doubt he's anywhere near full fitness yet because it was said at the time he'd be touch and go for the WC next June.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Think he read it on here....http://www.southamptonrumours.co.uk/

Winger with Jay Rods Pace with ability close to or of Lallanas skill and crossing is the main piorty in this window to help us make use of the good start.

Experienced LB or Young LB from championship willing to be 2nd to Shaw and a CB should also been done 2nd and 3rd specially if we can ship Fox and Jos out in this window.

All 3 = top 8 or maybe top 6.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25488699

Southampton

What they need in a nutshell: To keep their best players at St Mary's.

Window shopping: There has been a lot of speculation about which teams are watching Southampton's players and I think manager Mauricio Pochettino's priority will be to hold on to the likes of Luke Shaw and Adam Lallana.

Linked with: Davide Astori 26, CB (Cagliari), Cheikhou Kouyate 24, CB(Anderlecht), McDonald Mariga 26, DM (Inter Milan), Ever Banega 25, CM(Valencia),Diego 28, AM (Wolfsburg).

10:02

Staying with transfer speculation in Belgium and, according to Sudpresse, Southampton are chasing Anderlecht defender Cheikhou Kouyate. The centre-back has impressed in the Pro League this season and is likely to cost at least £7million.

Sky Sports

10:02

Staying with transfer speculation in Belgium and, according to Sudpresse, Southampton are chasing Anderlecht defender Cheikhou Kouyate. The centre-back has impressed in the Pro League this season and is likely to cost at least £7million.

Sky Sports

That name seems a little familiar.

This transfer Window can we have 1x Centre back (Either Astori or Kouyate) and a forward play who will just shoot. Not feck about but actually shoot. (Ideally on target but at this point i'm not bothered)

Yes, very noticeable yesterday. Nobody wants to hit the ball first time.

May as well not shoot if not on target!

of course they should, when you look at the number of goals in the PL that come from shots just hit hard into the mixer and that take wicked deflections past keepers you can see the point of shooting often. Think all of City's goals yesterday took deflections, maybe not Tourés. Look at Chelsea's first goal, dink shot, hits post bounces out to Torres who says thanks a lot.

only probably made up, they don't need Shaw and no-one is going to give us 20 million (or similar) for him.

In the summer we will probs get over 20m for him.

City, United and Chelsea are weak at left back. Shaw could give them 10 years of top service. They would be getting a bargain.

In the summer we will probs get over 20m for him.

City, United and Chelsea are weak at left back. Shaw could give them 10 years of top service. They would be getting a bargain.

If you say so then, personally I think he's vastly overated at left back not to mention his constant illness and injury problems.

Chambers doesn't get injured, doesn't get ill every 5 minutes.