January 2014 Transfer news & rumours

Glasgow_Saint

I like the idea of Guarin, he's an attacking central midfielder who has a average 7.49 rating on whoscored for this season, would keep Osvaldo though and go for a cash deal for Fredy.

I'd sign him here purely for the nostalgia factor for his performances for me on the older football manager games.

Is the guy legit?

Safe to say I'd take any of their players. Who would they be snooping around from ours? Osvaldo? Lovren?

Bio reads: Reputable established football associate. 14 years of experience representing several professional footballers. Views expressed are my own and not those of G.A.

Reading his feed he seems quite knowledgable - but I wouldn't like to say if it's legit or not

In response to a twitter question

@MurrayGroves: @marv3llous_17 Not sure if it's transfer related (either in or out) or something else. The meeting is happening but the rest is speculation.

I only saw it as Adam Blackmore retweeted it - whether that adds anything to it I don't know.

Murray Groves

@MurrayGroves

Official(s) of Atletico Madrid are in Southampton today, meeting Mauricio Pochettino although their intentions are not yet clear #saintsfc

They clearly are after someone from us. If it were the other way round, the meeting would be in Madrid.

I'm guessing its Gash or Osvaldo, but it seems much more likely than any other player.

They clearly are after someone from us. If it were the other way round, the meeting would be in Madrid.

I'm guessing its Gash or Osvaldo, but it seems much more likely than any other player.

You think the 3rd best team in Spain is after one of the two players you regularly criticise at a mid table Premier League side! Does that not suggest you may be wrong about their abilities?

Edited by Matthew Le God

Could sell both for a combined £26 million

Then sign

Shane Long, Tom Ince, Davide Astori, Danny Ings + a LB and still have change for some chips

You think the 3rd best team in Spain is after one of the two players you regularly criticise at a mid table Premier League side? Does that not suggest you may be wrong about their abilities?

Dont think I've ever criticised their natural abilities, I am pretty vocal on their attitudes, however.

I am pretty happy fof the 3rd best team in Spain to indulge and mollycoddle them, if they want to and can afford to.

Pretty sure Inter said at the start of the TW that Guarin isnt going anywhere, besides what do we need another CM ?

Also if anyone really thinks we will give up on ossie after 6 months then they are mental

I'm sure nobody thinks Costa will be moving to Saints in January. Nor Toby Alderweired. In fact I cannot see AM giving up any of their key players whilst they still title contenders and in the CL latter stages and in WC year.

They do have a reputation for loaning out good players though who have been injured (Costa being an example) so if they've got someone tasty but been out a while we might get offered a lend to get them up to fitness, making nice friendships with teams like AM is a good idea......would not be surprised if we play them pre-season in fact..

ION : If it was up to me i would loan Maya and/or Jos so they can get some playing time at a decent level. Staying on bench and playing cup matches is not enough for these two in that key CB position. These big guys need to play, no two ways about it. Like Rickie they don't get "rested" on the bench - they just gets stiffer and less mobile.

I would then bring in a truly top class LB and ditto CB to fight with Fonte and Shaw for starting space. I don't think the lack of competition at LB is good for Shaw's development myself and think if anything his progress has stalled the last three months. If you were cynical you might think that he has started to believe he is a top player destined for greatness and got a bit over conscious of it - hence he gets taken/stretchered off more times than rest of team put together, largely for what seem precautionary measures to the point that he is now obviously targeted by opposition "hitmen"...if you want Shaw off just crunch him twice and they will take him off seems to be the thinking...He is no Wayne Bridge or Gareth Bale at the moment that's for sure- though clearly he has the potential to be. He is closest to Bridger of anyone i've seen in a long while though. Just want him to cut inside and bury a few for us against some big teams in a big match...who knows what that might do to his confidence and mental ability to get to the next level. Or he could end up like Wayne - such a shame- such a great player for us but nothing really apart from wealth after his big money move..

Edited by Giordano

Could sell both for a combined £26 million

Then sign

Shane Long, Tom Ince, Davide Astori, Danny Ings + a LB and still have change for some chips

Shane Long hahaha, wtf? West Brom think he's ****, as do their fans. Why the hell would we want a player who only plays well once in every 15-20 games? Also, Danny Ings? Agree with Ince, Astori still not convinced.

Gaurin is wanted by Chelsea for 12,5mil they are offering Demba Ba as a makeweight.

Inter want Osvaldo one way or another and so are said to be offering a Chelsea target to us hoping to tempt us.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2536791/Fredy-Guarin-used-makeweight-Inter-Milan-sign-Pablo-Osvaldo-Southampton.html

Despite our learned friend being an expert on such matters, it would be insane to swap Osvaldo at this stage of the season and try and get ANOTHER foreign player to adapt to the PL inside a week. It is not just the pace of play, the different Refereeing standards, it is also our style of play.

This kind of deal still leaves us in need of an experienced striker. JRod took a long time last season before our resident experts started to grudgingly admit he may have some talent at this level.

These kinds of deals are more likely to be done in the summer IF Dani doesn't make the step up. IMHO

Shane Long hahaha, wtf? West Brom think he's ****, as do their fans. Why the hell would we want a player who only plays well once in every 15-20 games? Also, Danny Ings? Agree with Ince, Astori still not convinced.

Shane Long is all huff and puff - also think he lost a yard of pace after the Hutton challenge.

Am I the only one who likes Osvaldo? You wouldn't want loads of them, but I like having 1 unpredictable slightly temperamental player. He's got plenty of ability and I think he's settling in well and will start banging in a few goals. It is supposed to be entertainment after all. He's always smiling, laughing or shouting in anger, slightly unhinged but I like him.

No I think he is a good player that fits the system, none of our striking options are particularly prolific and for me thats because of the system we play taking less chances and utilising a possession at all costs attitude.

He has plenty of ability, I certainly dont want to lose him.

No I think he is a good player that fits the system, none of our striking options are particularly prolific and for me thats because of the system we play taking less chances and utilising a possession at all costs attitude.

Put me fully in this camp as well

Am I the only one who likes Osvaldo? You wouldn't want loads of them, but I like having 1 unpredictable slightly temperamental player. He's got plenty of ability and I think he's settling in well and will start banging in a few goals. It is supposed to be entertainment after all. He's always smiling, laughing or shouting in anger, slightly unhinged but I like him.

Not at all, just adjusting to the league and let's face it, our system doesn't always give strikers a whole load of chances. I'm confident he'll come good, he's done it everywhere else.

I read an article the other day where it said he had only scored 3 goals in 13 appearances. The line is so fine that he had got a couple more, 5-6 in 13 is all of a sudden good. Fine lines.

Not at all, just adjusting to the league and let's face it, our system doesn't always give strikers a whole load of chances. I'm confident he'll come good, he's done it everywhere else.

I read an article the other day where it said he had only scored 3 goals in 13 appearances. The line is so fine that he had got a couple more, 5-6 in 13 is all of a sudden good. Fine lines.

And his best role is as the lone striker and I think he has started in that position for 3 games?

And those were Man United and Chelsea away and Man City at home, not the games we ever could expect the team to create many clear cut chances for the striker...

If I supported another club, I'd probably assume he was crap but I actually think he's class.

Any player who can score a goal like that against City or that one one against Denmark has got to be bloody good. You can tell he's quality just with some of things he does.

He's like a striker version of Ramirez. He oozes style, offers lots of fancy touches, but at the moment is always wanting just that little bit more time than he has actually got, leading to some fan frustration when he loses the ball. Like Ramirez, there is more than enough in his game to suggest that he will come good, as so many foreign signings do given time/a second season. Pires/Nasri for example - first season ****, second season world beaters. But right now, he's not exactly set the world on fire, one wonderful goal aside, so must improve to justify the hype and the investment.

Personally I'd be amazed if either player was allowed to leave, unless they were desperate to move (perhaps for family reasons). You simply don't invest so much time and effort to sign a player like Osvaldo to then give up on them 6 months down the line. Ramirez has had longer here to settle, but he is still pretty young and given more time could well be an amazing player at this level.

Like you I am more than happy for them both to stay. Both offer something very different and in the short term both are great impact subs at the very least.

One thing worth considering is if they did move on, would we reinvest the available wages on the right player?

Osvaldo's been awful lets be honest, it's not as if he's a Welbeck type player who offers lots other then goals, if he's not scoring he adds essentially nothing to the team. He's clearly a talented player but he's an enormous bellend, otherwise he'd be at a top club not here.

Pot, kettle, black?

Foundations of a solid Championship team right there. Perfect for our yoyo strategy.

You are being a little unfair there. Ince, Long and Ings are the sort of players West Ham would buy (c.f. Vaz Te; Baldock; Nicky Maynard) - by the shedload. Okay if you are happy bumping along at the bottom of the Prem but not players for a team with ambition. We haven't seen enough of Astori to know if he would be good enough - and maybe he would - but he is the sort of player Spurs would buy. Their policy is to buy as many players as you can who seem class but with absolutely no idea of how they might fit together or make a team. Eventually some of these must be okay although I am stuggling to see who of this summer's imports that might eventually turn out to be. We aren't poor but simply haven't got enough money to do that and have to recruit much more carefully.

He's like a striker version of Ramirez. He oozes style, offers lots of fancy touches, but at the moment is always wanting just that little bit more time than he has actually got, leading to some fan frustration when he loses the ball. Like Ramirez, there is more than enough in his game to suggest that he will come good, as so many foreign signings do given time/a second season. Pires/Nasri for example - first season ****, second season world beaters. But right now, he's not exactly set the world on fire, one wonderful goal aside, so must improve to justify the hype and the investment.

Personally I'd be amazed if either player was allowed to leave, unless they were desperate to move (perhaps for family reasons). You simply don't invest so much time and effort to sign a player like Osvaldo to then give up on them 6 months down the line. Ramirez has had longer here to settle, but he is still pretty young and given more time could well be an amazing player at this level.

Like you I am more than happy for them both to stay. Both offer something very different and in the short term both are great impact subs at the very least.

One thing worth considering is if they did move on, would we reinvest the available wages on the right player?

As I tend to do most of the time I find myself agreeing with your footballing insight Chezer, shame you dont post more often anymore but I assume like me you find this place gets a tad tedious at times.

I am starting to lose a little faith in Gaston though, as much as I 100% agree that he is a top player he just doesnt fit the system nor does he seem to be getting used to it. Id love him to come good and show his true potential, Im perfectly happy to see him stay until atleast the summer.

Agree with this. For Osvaldo see Edmundo, Stoichkov et al. Old fashioned, talented, eccentric wtf type player.

No, you're not. I'm hoping this speculation about him moving on already is the usual nonsense, because I think he's going to be a massive player for us.

I agree... 844 minutes of absolutely nothing, but 30 seconds of skill trumps all that!

Some peeps are very easily pleased!

No, you are right, we should be bringing in Jordan Rhodes and using Rickie as a target man to feed him.

It's only about the goals, not the system, not the joy of having someone who offers something a little maverick, a little unpredictable, let's play the percentages, get it to the big men up front and play the percentages.

The numbers never lie! :rolleyes:

No, you are right, we should be bringing in Jordan Rhodes and using Rickie as a target man to feed him.

You offer that in a sarcastic fashion, but what is wrong with Rhodes?

He has scored 43 in 68 for an average Blackburn side and out scored Rickie in league 1 and the championship.

He's also younger than Osvaldo and alot cheaper in fees, wages and attitude.

If youre going to mock, try harder as Rhodes is a top player.

110 goals in his last 200 games, he could step up to the prem imho

You offer that in a sarcastic fashion, but what is wrong with Rhodes?

He has scored 43 in 68 for an average Blackburn side and out scored Rickie in league 1 and the championship.

He's also younger than Osvaldo and alot cheaper in fees, wages and attitude.

If youre going to mock, try harder as Rhodes is a top player.

Rhodes is a great finisher but not a hard worker, he is an excellent focal point in the Blackburn team and is carrying them. You compare him to Rickie, having seen him play I firmly believe he is not as good an all round footballer as Rickie, he is a man in a system who is doing the job he is there for. He is not a player that would significantly add to our first eleven.

And regarding sarcasm, it's all there seems to be on the sh*t tip of humanity that is this forum now so I might as well join in the shower.

Rhodes is a great finisher but not a hard worker, he is an excellent focal point in the Blackburn team and is carrying them. You compare him to Rickie, having seen him play I firmly believe he is not as good an all round footballer as Rickie, he is a man in a system who is doing the job he is there for. He is not a player that would significantly add to our first eleven.

And regarding sarcasm, it's all there seems to be on this sh*t tip of a forum now so I might as well join in the shower.

How many times have you seen Rhodes play? Genuine question