January 2014 Transfer news & rumours

Glasgow_Saint

I think it's nailed on that they'll go for him.

if you say so then, don't much care myself, far better and more robust LBs available for less than half the sums being touted around. If we had 20 million £ for him I'd go and wave half of it (ie 13 million euros) under Romeyer's nose for Ghoulam, lovely lad, know his brother (and PR man) and apparently the PL would please him.

Chelsea could go and buy a full international left back from Europe for less than shaw

but their problem is with home produced players, once the old guard has gone they're in the sh*tter to find 8 out of 25. they need home grown whether they play them or not. Whilst I've no idea on the origins of a few of their lesser known squad players just now they're about on the lower limit. Take away Cole,Lampard,Terry etc and they're out of conformity, probably why they hang on to Lukaku and Courtois who I think were signed very young and may qualify as home grown, like Morgan.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Whilst that fee is very difficult to turn down, it's going to send out a very bad message to the rest of the squad

why would that be then, he's a pro, he's also a bit of a sick note, professional players must accept the transfer of team mates as part of their profession. Now I'd only speculate here because I know they're reported to be a tight knit bunch but to some

never having to play with Fox (or Hooieveld) again might be quite welcome. I'm sure Dejan was complaining to Adam and Rickie (Cpt and V Capt) about them on Sunday. I'm also not sure that some of the continental lads who have a different pro-ethic might not frown on shopping trips and Nandos munching.

why would that be then, he's a pro, he's also a bit of a sick note, professional players must accept the transfer of team mates as part of their profession. Now I'd only speculate here because I know they're reported to be a tight knit bunch but to some

never having to play with Fox (or Hooieveld) again might be quite welcome. I'm sure Dejan was complaining to Adam and Rickie (Cpt and V Capt) about them on Sunday. I'm also not sure that some of the continental lads who have a different pro-ethic might not frown on shopping trips and Nandos munching.

All i have heard from the players and manager all season is about finishing in the top 4. How do you think the likes of Lovren and Lallana will feel if they see our best players sold, particularly to clubs in the same league? I doubt they'll want to hang around for very long

All i have heard from the players and manager all season is about finishing in the top 4. How do you think the likes of Lovren and Lallana will feel if they see our best players sold, particularly to clubs in the same league? I doubt they'll want to hang around for very long

There are far better players than Luke Shaw available for half of the figure being bandied about. This is about home grown and nothing else. We don't have that problem, they do. Even if he goes there Azpilicueta will still be their left back for the foreseeable future.

Azpilicueta is a RB.

currently playing on the left for Chelsea though, left back/right back, a good player is versatile. Azpi played at LB for Marseille quite a lot, Chelsea don't usually need a RB because Ivanovic excels there, Azpi is a good player, far too good to have on the bench. Which is why Cole is rumbling on about retiring if he doesn't get more games.

No way we will let Shaw go in Jan. Keeping him in the summer will be almost impossible though IMO.

if he's being a silly boy we'll take the money in a flash. People are far too attached to Shaw for what he brings us. There are better players for half (or even a quarter) of the fee. Solid players who play well every game now, not just because they might be England's left back in a few year's time. I feel that the club would be stupid to refuse any sum over 20 million for him.

There are far better players than Luke Shaw available for half of the figure being bandied about. This is about home grown and nothing else. We don't have that problem, they do. Even if he goes there Azpilicueta will still be their left back for the foreseeable future.
All true apart from your last sentence. Really can't see Azpilicueta being their left back for too long.

Chelsea should buy some of these players! Dumb Chelsea mugs!

they're not home grown Bearsy, that's their biggest problem now. They need home grown because if not they're going to have to field some crap very soon. They only had Terry as a home grown player against Palace and they've only got 8 or 9 in total in their 25. They need 8, means they can't ship out some of their high earners even if they want to. Everyone knows of the position they're in and will take them to the cleaners for a "bright UK starlet".

All true apart from your last sentence. Really can't see Azpilicueta being their left back for too long.

starts again at LB tonight with Cole on the bench again, really Shaw is Mous least concern right now, he already has 2 better left backs althugh one is getting on a bit. We'll see how Azpi gets on against the Arse though.

Broadly speaking, we need to improve the depth of our squad. Danny Fox, Jos Hooiveld or Paulo Gazzaniga are not Premier League quality, and Rickie Lambert is not going to improve over night. This would indicate a need to introduce defensive back ups, and possibly a young and hungry striker. I believe Danny Ings from Burnley has been mentioned on Twitter. Unfortunately, I don't see us signing any squad players, let alone first team stars, this January transfer window.

First, look at where Southampton is in the league. It's hardly cause for panic. Is it really necessary for the board to invest more money at this stage when we're ninth in the league?

Second, even if there was panic, would Cortese authorise signings? Last season we signed Vegard Forren in January. In the Championship, it was only Lee, Sharp and Hooiveld. We're hardly big spenders in the winter. The club is prudent with their finances and likely to plan ahead. I really don't expect any panic signings based on past experience. Really, our position was much much worse last season.

Third, are Fox, Jos and co really that bad anyway? Okay, again, I'll admit they're not Premier League quality by any stretch of the imagination. However, do they provide the first XI with adequate back up. Let's say, for example, we purchase a new left back to cover for Shaw. What possibility is there a) that he might usurp Shaw, or b) realistically play that much to justify the money spent on him? It would be worse off for the club to get rid at this stage. It's more likely that an academy player will get promoted to the first team - perhaps during the summer, even.

So, I really can't see that much money being spent this January. Nevertheless, I'm sure I will remain glued to the Twitter feed in the faint hope that something just might happen.

First, look at where Southampton is in the league. It's hardly cause for panic. Is it really necessary for the board to invest more money at this stage when we're ninth in the league?

YES, we've plummeted like a stone in recent weeks. Our position is acceptable. Our form, being found out, and threadbare weak squad is not.

@tancredipalmeri: Southampton's Ramirez currently on talks with Inter and Fiorentina, according to Sky Italy. Looking for a 6 months loan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

Unless Poch has a replacement in mind, I'd rather we kept him until the Summer. However, it is understandable if Ramirez wishes to go out on loan to get some playing time ahead of the world cup.

Buying new players really isn't the solution to an expected dip in form. And our form is absolutely foreseeable: our run of games is incredibly hard at this stage of the season; we have several key players injured; players generally experience fatigue at this stage, especially when a strict new training regime has been introduced.

Two of these factors are easily resolved without the need to buy any new players. Our run of games will become more 'winnable' and our key players are likely to return. Getting over the fatigue? Arguably, introducing a new player and allowing time for him to adapt to a new training regime will negate his impact this season. We won't see any returns on the playing field till the new season anyway!

Are you sure you aren't simply making a kneejerk reaction to recent results? The only game I 'expected' us to win was Villa.

@tancredipalmeri: Southampton's Ramirez currently on talks with Inter and Fiorentina, according to Sky Italy. Looking for a 6 months loan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

Has Sue Whistle confirmed this?

I resale don't agree with clubs of this said in any country loaning players.

Whilst that fee is very difficult to turn down, it's going to send out a very bad message to the rest of the squad

Makes me laugh when I hear "the fee is very difficult to turn down " Why is it

To get someone in of the SAME class, you have to fork out BIG money, so why sell in the first place ?

are Fox, Jos and co really that bad anyway?

Yes, they are.

Okay, again, I'll admit they're not Premier League quality by any stretch of the imagination. However, do they provide the first XI with adequate back up.

No, they don't. If you've watched any of the last few games you will know that with these clowns in the first 11 we are guaranteed to leak goals left, right and centre.

Yes, they are.

No, they don't. If you've watched any of the last few games you will know that with these clowns in the first 11 we are guaranteed to leak goals left, right and centre.

I'm afraid you seem to have missed my point.

Despite the lack of quality, and trust me I'm not the pair's biggest fan, it's unlikely that a replacement will do any better at this stage of the season. One must consider just how much they'll actually play considering that Fonte and Shaw are very close to full fitness on return. What's the likelihood that the pair will get injured again? Will the board therefore see any proper returns? These factors negate the need to panic buy. Much better to wait and see where we are in January which is entirely what I suspect the board will do.

Ultimately, I accept that you're right in saying the pair aren't Premier League quality on the whole. However, they are doing an adequate job for what is expected of a backup players, and buying a replacement at this stage of the season would be foolhardy.

Despite the lack of quality, and trust me I'm not the pair's biggest fan, it's unlikely that a replacement will do any better at this stage of the season. One must consider just how much they'll actually play considering that Fonte and Shaw are very close to full fitness on return. What's the likelihood that the pair will get injured again? Will the board therefore see any proper returns? These factors negate the need to panic buy. Much better to wait and see where we are in January which is entirely what I suspect the board will do.

Ultimately, I accept that you're right in saying the pair aren't Premier League quality on the whole. However, they are doing an adequate job for what is expected of a backup players, and buying a replacement at this stage of the season would be foolhardy.

How can you say they're doing an adequate job? Both are gifting goals in every game, for me that suggests they're not good enough backup and my expectation of a backup player is obviously higher than yours! It's an area which needs a close look in January. You say you have to question how much they'll play, but that's kind of like sticking your head in the sand and saying we'll get no more injuries. What if Lovren gets kicked and is out for months, along with Fonte? What on earth happens then? A slide towards a relegation battle I expect. I'd consider ignoring this area much more 'foolhardy'

If we are serious about progressing, then we cannot have them as backup, as we then get periods of the season such as this where we have to play them. And it never ends well because they're not good enough.

Edited by S-Clarke

How can you say they're doing an adequate job? Both are gifting goals in every game, for me that suggests they're not good enough backup and my expectation of a backup player is obviously higher than yours! It's an area which needs a close look in January. You say you have to question how much they'll play, but that's kind of like sticking your head in the sand and saying we'll get no more injuries. What if Lovren gets kicked and is out for months, along with Fonte? What on earth happens then? A slide towards a relegation battle I expect. I'd consider ignoring this area much more 'foolhardy'

If we are serious about progressing, then we cannot have them as backup, as we then get periods of the season such as this where we have to play them. And it never ends well because they're not good enough.

I feel like we are both making an assumption here in guessing whether players from our first XI like Lovren or Shaw will continue to get injured throughout the rest of the season. The fact is that we simply don't know. So, the question boils down to whether we should invest now to protect ourselves in case such an event does occur.

In my opinion, I believe we won't. As I have stated before, there are three reasons why: 1) The board will probably be more than happy with our current position in the league. 2) History shows that the board is adverse to signing during January. 3) Our backup players are doing an adequate job at the moment - we won't see any substantial returns of investment this season.

Now, these are really in a nutshell - I'd recommend seeing my earlier post for a fuller argument. The point is, however, that is that the board is highly unlikely to invest even though Jos and Fox aren't good enough because of these three reasons. I don't believe you've shown me that investing in a backup player now will provide the club with adequate dividends at this stage of the season. I am definitely sure you haven't tackled my other two points. This leads me to conclude that, on balance, the club will not invest and we will still do well this season. It's difficult to swallow with regards to recent form, but be realistic - look who we've been playing against and with whom.

Don't make knee jerk reactions!

I watched a video with Spainish based Graham Hunter on SKY the other day.

They were talking about the January window and towards the end, talk turned to Sevilla left back Alberto Moreno.

Hunter said 3 clubs "around the middle of the table" had ask him for his opinion on him.

Didn't mention us, but it's possible.

I feel like we are both making an assumption here in guessing whether players from our first XI like Lovren or Shaw will continue to get injured throughout the rest of the season. The fact is that we simply don't know. So, the question boils down to whether we should invest now to protect ourselves in case such an event does occur.

In my opinion, I believe we won't. As I have stated before, there are three reasons why: 1) The board will probably be more than happy with our current position in the league. 2) History shows that the board is adverse to signing during January. 3) Our backup players are doing an adequate job at the moment - we won't see any substantial returns of investment this season.

Now, these are really in a nutshell - I'd recommend seeing my earlier post for a fuller argument. The point is, however, that is that the board is highly unlikely to invest even though Jos and Fox aren't good enough because of these three reasons. I don't believe you've shown me that investing in a backup player now will provide the club with adequate dividends at this stage of the season. I am definitely sure you haven't tackled my other two points. This leads me to conclude that, on balance, the club will not invest and we will still do well this season. It's difficult to swallow with regards to recent form, but be realistic - look who we've been playing against and with whom.

Don't make knee jerk reactions!

I'm really not making a knee-jerk reaction, this is a reaction which should have been made months ago. It's been clear to me since the start of last year that Jos, Fox and Gazzaniga are not good enough and will never be good enough. When you continue with players of their level at backup, you're asking for trouble. We've had a very unlucky season injury wise so far, thus we've had to call all 3 into action. It's no coincidence that we're conceding goals and losing games, they are the reasons for that because they are pretty **** at their individual jobs at this level. It could well be that Fonte, Shaw, Clyne and Boruc all return shortly and calm is restored - but I still can't see the issue in going out there and getting a better CB than Jos for e.g, there are plenty out there.....

It's also true that the injuries have killed us in a run of fixtures against some big sides, but in all honesty it's just highlighted the inadequacies of our backup players. I must admit though, I'm completely perplexed as to how you think any of them are doing an adequate job.

I'm really not making a knee-jerk reaction, this is a reaction which should have been made months ago. It's been clear to me since the start of last year that Jos, Fox and Gazzaniga are not good enough and will never be good enough. When you continue with players of their level at backup, you're asking for trouble. We've had a very unlucky season injury wise so far, thus we've had to call all 3 into action. It's no coincidence that we're conceding goals and losing games, they are the reasons for that because they are pretty **** at their individual jobs at this level. It could well be that Fonte, Shaw, Clyne and Boruc all return shortly and calm is restored - but I still can't see the issue in going out there and getting a better CB than Jos for e.g, there are plenty out there.....

It's also true that the injuries have killed us in a run of fixtures against some big sides, but in all honesty it's just highlighted the inadequacies of our backup players. I must admit though, I'm completely perplexed as to how you think any of them are doing an adequate job.

You're still fixated with my third point? Let me put it this way because it's really a two part point and might be difficult to grasp:

Relative to the introduction of any new backup player at this stage of the season, both Jos, Fox and co. are doing an adequate job. Should the board decide to bring in a new player, they will not see an improvement on the pitch, nor will they see any financial benefit. Therefore it would be wiser for them in this sense to wait till the summer meaning its unlikely we'll see anyone new this January.

I understand, and most definitely agree with you, that the two aren't Premier League quality - but it doesn't logically follow that we should rush buy new players! This is where the two other points come in. Consider where we are in the table. The club is adverse to signing in January in the first place. It's highly unlikely we'll get someone.

Twitter mongs linking us with Danny Ings

Not a chance!

Injury-prone and Burnley would want more than he is worth! You'd be talking Jay Rod money or more and he isnt worth that.

A friend of mine lived with the Bournemouth physio for a while, who told him that Ings previous injuries had already cut short his career and that he WILL get recurrences.

Sorry, I may have misread, but did you ask what the likelihood of Shaw getting injured again this season was? :lol:

You're still fixated with my third point? Let me put it this way because it's really a two part point and might be difficult to grasp:

Relative to the introduction of any new backup player at this stage of the season, both Jos, Fox and co. are doing an adequate job. Should the board decide to bring in a new player, they will not see an improvement on the pitch, nor will they see any financial benefit. Therefore it would be wiser for them in this sense to wait till the summer meaning its unlikely we'll see anyone new this January.

I understand, and most definitely agree with you, that the two aren't Premier League quality - but it doesn't logically follow that we should rush buy new players! This is where the two other points come in. Consider where we are in the table. The club is adverse to signing in January in the first place. It's highly unlikely we'll get someone.

You reckon NC will be content with being 9th?

Sorry, I may have misread, but did you ask what the likelihood of Shaw getting injured again this season was? :lol:

:) Am I being a bit naive here? Is it likely that he's going to get repeat injuries between now and the end of the season?

Edit: Won't he be content on getting 9th? I mean, second season back in the Premier League - we ascended faster than expected - now is the time for consolidation, surely?